Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 1st corn-on-the-cob of the year!

My aunt picked up a dozen ears for me at a local farm
stand that we always patronize. The only corn I will buy
is from a farm stand or one farm market I frequent. I will
not buy corn from the supermarket under any circumstances.

Boy was this stuff good. Maybe it was mostly that it's been
a year since I had any but I wanted to eat the whole dozen
ears at one sitting. Luckily I had only cooked 2 ears, so that's
all I ate. Now I'll have some for other meals. ;-)

I cooked it in the microwaves and rolled each ear in butter and
then sprinkled lightly with salt and then lots of smoked paprika.
Yum!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/08/2011 1:22 PM, Kate Connally wrote:
> My aunt picked up a dozen ears for me at a local farm
> stand that we always patronize. The only corn I will buy
> is from a farm stand or one farm market I frequent. I will
> not buy corn from the supermarket under any circumstances.
>
> Boy was this stuff good. Maybe it was mostly that it's been
> a year since I had any but I wanted to eat the whole dozen
> ears at one sitting. Luckily I had only cooked 2 ears, so that's
> all I ate. Now I'll have some for other meals. ;-)
>
> I cooked it in the microwaves and rolled each ear in butter and
> then sprinkled lightly with salt and then lots of smoked paprika.
> Yum!

I don't eat corn on the cob very often, but the other day I was at the
local fruit stand when the owner came in from the field with a bushel
basket of corn that he had just picked. I took one cob and put in on the
grill to cook while I got the burgers ready. It was delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 10:22*am, Kate Connally > wrote:
> My aunt picked up a dozen ears for me at a local farm
> stand that we always patronize. *The only corn I will buy
> is from a farm stand or one farm market I frequent. *I will
> not buy corn from the supermarket under any circumstances.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> My aunt picked up a dozen ears for me at a local farm
> stand that we always patronize. The only corn I will buy
> is from a farm stand or one farm market I frequent. I will
> not buy corn from the supermarket under any circumstances.

I always buy mine at the supermarket, Brentwood CA grown. It's good stuff.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2011 1:22 PM, Kate Connally wrote:
> My aunt picked up a dozen ears for me at a local farm
> stand that we always patronize. The only corn I will buy
> is from a farm stand or one farm market I frequent. I will
> not buy corn from the supermarket under any circumstances.

Last year the corn never did come through due to the
extremely hot and dry weather. That made the first corn
of the year that much sweeter a few weeks ago. The farm
stand didn't have any corn, darn! but just then the truck
pulled up from the fields and it was all good.

> Boy was this stuff good. Maybe it was mostly that it's been
> a year since I had any but I wanted to eat the whole dozen
> ears at one sitting. Luckily I had only cooked 2 ears, so that's
> all I ate. Now I'll have some for other meals. ;-)

Fresh corn on the cob is only around for a relatively short
amount of time, I say eat it while you got it! Hee.

> I cooked it in the microwaves and rolled each ear in butter and
> then sprinkled lightly with salt and then lots of smoked paprika.
> Yum!

I'm going to have to try that next time.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 2:02*pm, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:
> On 8/15/2011 1:22 PM, Kate Connally wrote:
>
> > My aunt picked up a dozen ears for me at a local farm
> > stand that we always patronize. The only corn I will buy
> > is from a farm stand or one farm market I frequent. I will
> > not buy corn from the supermarket under any circumstances.

> Last year the corn never did come through due to the
> extremely hot and dry weather. *That made the first corn
> of the year that much sweeter a few weeks ago. The farm
> stand didn't have any corn, darn! but just then the truck
> pulled up from the fields and it was all good.
>
> > Boy was this stuff good. Maybe it was mostly that it's been
> > a year since I had any but I wanted to eat the whole dozen
> > ears at one sitting. Luckily I had only cooked 2 ears, so that's
> > all I ate. Now I'll have some for other meals. ;-)

> Fresh corn on the cob is only around for a relatively short
> amount of time, I say eat it while you got it! *Hee.
>

> > I cooked it in the microwaves and rolled each ear in butter and
> > then sprinkled lightly with salt and then lots of smoked paprika.
> > Yum!

> I'm going to have to try that next time.
>
> nancy

We always do it on the bbq. Pull the husk back on one half, smear on
some butter and mexican pepper. Shoot, I may just have to do that
tonight!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2011 5:15 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Aug 15, 2:02 pm, Nancy Young<email@replyto> wrote:
>> On 8/15/2011 1:22 PM, Kate Connally wrote:
>>
>>> My aunt picked up a dozen ears for me at a local farm
>>> stand that we always patronize. The only corn I will buy
>>> is from a farm stand or one farm market I frequent. I will
>>> not buy corn from the supermarket under any circumstances.

>> Last year the corn never did come through due to the
>> extremely hot and dry weather. That made the first corn
>> of the year that much sweeter a few weeks ago. The farm
>> stand didn't have any corn, darn! but just then the truck
>> pulled up from the fields and it was all good.
>>
>>> Boy was this stuff good. Maybe it was mostly that it's been
>>> a year since I had any but I wanted to eat the whole dozen
>>> ears at one sitting. Luckily I had only cooked 2 ears, so that's
>>> all I ate. Now I'll have some for other meals. ;-)

>> Fresh corn on the cob is only around for a relatively short
>> amount of time, I say eat it while you got it! Hee.
>>

>>> I cooked it in the microwaves and rolled each ear in butter and
>>> then sprinkled lightly with salt and then lots of smoked paprika.
>>> Yum!

>> I'm going to have to try that next time.
>>
>> nancy

> We always do it on the bbq. Pull the husk back on one half, smear on
> some butter and mexican pepper. Shoot, I may just have to do that
> tonight!

Where do you live? I've been eating good sweet corn (mostly white) for a
month. I usually microwave it in the husk; 1 min 30 per ear. Serve with
butter or butter substitute and a sprinkle of hot paprika or chili.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 2:27*pm, James Silverton >
wrote:
> On 8/15/2011 5:15 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:

> >> Last year the corn never did come through due to the
> >> extremely hot and dry weather. *That made the first corn
> >> of the year that much sweeter a few weeks ago. The farm
> >> stand didn't have any corn, darn! but just then the truck
> >> pulled up from the fields and it was all good.

> >> Fresh corn on the cob is only around for a relatively short
> >> amount of time, I say eat it while you got it! *Hee.

> >> I'm going to have to try that next time.

> >> nancy

> > We always do it on the bbq. Pull the husk back on one half, smear on
> > some butter and mexican pepper. Shoot, I may just have to do that
> > tonight!

> Where do you live? I've been eating good sweet corn (mostly white) for a
> month. I usually microwave it in the husk; 1 min 30 per ear. Serve with
> butter or butter substitute and a sprinkle of hot paprika or chili.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton, Potomac
>
> I'm *not*

Southern Oregon and we bbq year around.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 2:53*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Aug 15, 2:27*pm, James Silverton >
> wrote:

> > > We always do it on the bbq. Pull the husk back on one half, smear on
> > > some butter and mexican pepper. Shoot, I may just have to do that
> > > tonight!

> > Where do you live? I've been eating good sweet corn (mostly white) for a
> > month. I usually microwave it in the husk; 1 min 30 per ear. Serve with
> > butter or butter substitute and a sprinkle of hot paprika or chili.

> > --

> > James Silverton, Potomac

> > I'm *not*

> Southern Oregon and we bbq year around.

***Hey Chemo, any truth to the rumor that everyone in Oregon is a
"Duck"...*smirk*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 4:15*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Aug 15, 2:02*pm, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:
>

> > On 8/15/2011 1:22 PM, Kate Connally wrote:

> > > My aunt picked up a dozen ears for me at a local farm
> > > stand that we always patronize. The only corn I will buy
> > > is from a farm stand or one farm market I frequent. I will
> > > not buy corn from the supermarket under any circumstances.

> > Last year the corn never did come through due to the
> > extremely hot and dry weather. *That made the first corn
> > of the year that much sweeter a few weeks ago. The farm
> > stand didn't have any corn, darn! but just then the truck
> > pulled up from the fields and it was all good.

> > > Boy was this stuff good. Maybe it was mostly that it's been
> > > a year since I had any but I wanted to eat the whole dozen
> > > ears at one sitting. Luckily I had only cooked 2 ears, so that's
> > > all I ate. Now I'll have some for other meals. ;-)

> > Fresh corn on the cob is only around for a relatively short
> > amount of time, I say eat it while you got it! *Hee.

> > > I cooked it in the microwaves and rolled each ear in butter and
> > > then sprinkled lightly with salt and then lots of smoked paprika.
> > > Yum!

> > I'm going to have to try that next time.

> > nancy

> We always do it on the bbq. Pull the husk back on one half, smear on
> some butter and mexican pepper. Shoot, I may just have to do that
> tonight!

Pure sacrilege. Corn needs nothing; like beef, it should stand on
it's own. Delicious!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 00:48:09 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
> wrote:
snip

>Pure sacrilege. Corn needs nothing; like beef, it should stand on
>it's own. Delicious!

Amen!
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 07:20:30 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 00:48:09 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
> > wrote:
> snip
>>
>>Pure sacrilege. Corn needs nothing; like beef, it should stand on
>>it's own. Delicious!

> Amen!
> Janet US

both beef and corn need at least salt and pepper.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:37:28 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 07:20:30 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 00:48:09 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
>> > wrote:
>> snip
>>>
>>>Pure sacrilege. Corn needs nothing; like beef, it should stand on
>>>it's own. Delicious!

>> Amen!
>> Janet US

>both beef and corn need at least salt and pepper.

To each their own. I remember recently talking to you about corn and
cotija cheese. It's fine with just butter but the cheese takes it to
another level.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2011 3:19 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 13:22:14 -0400, Kate Connally wrote:
>
>> My aunt picked up a dozen ears for me at a local farm
>> stand that we always patronize. The only corn I will buy
>> is from a farm stand or one farm market I frequent. I will
>> not buy corn from the supermarket under any circumstances.

> Shramm farm? My brother and I were just talking about them. We lived
> adjacent to their previous farm.
>
> -sw

Yes, Schramm's. But this year their corn is $6.50/doz. and it's
no longer a baker's dozen. :-( Of course it's gone up everywhere.
The corn I got was $5/doz. - last year it was $4/doz.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2011 5:02 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/15/2011 1:22 PM, Kate Connally wrote:
>> My aunt picked up a dozen ears for me at a local farm
>> stand that we always patronize. The only corn I will buy
>> is from a farm stand or one farm market I frequent. I will
>> not buy corn from the supermarket under any circumstances.

> Last year the corn never did come through due to the
> extremely hot and dry weather. That made the first corn
> of the year that much sweeter a few weeks ago. The farm
> stand didn't have any corn, darn! but just then the truck
> pulled up from the fields and it was all good.
>
>> Boy was this stuff good. Maybe it was mostly that it's been
>> a year since I had any but I wanted to eat the whole dozen
>> ears at one sitting. Luckily I had only cooked 2 ears, so that's
>> all I ate. Now I'll have some for other meals. ;-)

> Fresh corn on the cob is only around for a relatively short
> amount of time, I say eat it while you got it! Hee.
>>
>> I cooked it in the microwaves and rolled each ear in butter and
>> then sprinkled lightly with salt and then lots of smoked paprika.
>> Yum!

> I'm going to have to try that next time.

It's also good without the salt, just the paprika. My smoke paprika
is almost gone so I'm switching to ancho chile powder when I run out.
That's good also. And I might try the chipotle chile powder also.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2011 5:27 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 8/15/2011 5:15 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:

>>> Last year the corn never did come through due to the
>>> extremely hot and dry weather. That made the first corn
>>> of the year that much sweeter a few weeks ago. The farm
>>> stand didn't have any corn, darn! but just then the truck
>>> pulled up from the fields and it was all good.

>>> Fresh corn on the cob is only around for a relatively short
>>> amount of time, I say eat it while you got it! Hee.

>>> I'm going to have to try that next time.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> We always do it on the bbq. Pull the husk back on one half, smear on
>> some butter and mexican pepper. Shoot, I may just have to do that
>> tonight!

> Where do you live? I've been eating good sweet corn (mostly white) for a
> month. I usually microwave it in the husk; 1 min 30 per ear. Serve with
> butter or butter substitute and a sprinkle of hot paprika or chili.

It's not the first corn of the season for the area (sw PA) but it was
*my* first corn of the season, since I had not been anywhere there was
a farm stand. The closest one is at least 8 miles away and I didn't
want to spend the money on gas to get there and back just for the
corn. My car get horrible mileage.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2011 11:37 AM, blake murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 07:20:30 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 00:48:09 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
>> > wrote:
>> snip
>>>
>>> Pure sacrilege. Corn needs nothing; like beef, it should stand on
>>> it's own. Delicious!

>> Amen!
>> Janet US

> both beef and corn need at least salt and pepper.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I would say a really good quality steak needs nothing.
But I like something on corn - either salt or something
like the paprika. Maybe it doesn't need it but I like
the flavor contract. And of course butter is de rigueur
on corn.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:15:58 -0400, Kate Connally
> wrote:

>On 8/15/2011 3:19 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 13:22:14 -0400, Kate Connally wrote:
>>
>>> My aunt picked up a dozen ears for me at a local farm
>>> stand that we always patronize. The only corn I will buy
>>> is from a farm stand or one farm market I frequent. I will
>>> not buy corn from the supermarket under any circumstances.

>> Shramm farm? My brother and I were just talking about them. We lived
>> adjacent to their previous farm.
>>
>> -sw

>Yes, Schramm's. But this year their corn is $6.50/doz. and it's
>no longer a baker's dozen. :-( Of course it's gone up everywhere.
>The corn I got was $5/doz. - last year it was $4/doz.

I don't know what thier corn is like but 6.50 isn't a lot for good
corn. We get Mirai from twin garden farm and it's 7 bucks a dozen.

My grandparents grew corn on their farm so I've had corn that was
picked an hour before we ate it and it wasn't as good as this stuff.

http://www.twingardenfarms.com/

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:37:28 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 07:20:30 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 00:48:09 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
>> > wrote:
>> snip
>>>
>>>Pure sacrilege. Corn needs nothing; like beef, it should stand on
>>>it's own. Delicious!

>> Amen!
>> Janet US

>both beef and corn need at least salt and pepper.

Good fresh picked corn needs nothing, maybe a beer to wash it down...
same with a really good steak... so-so stupidmarket steak benefits
from seasonings, as old corn really needs butter and salt. I don't
remember ever putting pepper on corn, I'll try it but somehow I don't
expect it to be a good combination, plus those dark specks will make
the corn look diseased. Corn on the cob is one vegetable that I don't
want anything to besmirch its virginity... I like my lips to be first
to have at those thirteen rows.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Here in southeastern Michigan there is a great farm stand out by Metro
Airport (Blocks at Middlebelt + Eureka Roads). The corn comes to the
stand within minutes of being picked. It is wonderful stuff. And the
price is a LOT less than what some of you have quoted as a good price.
As many as you can fit in a large plastic (store provided) bag
(unshucked) for $2.99. It's easy to get 18 ears in a bag, at least.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/08/2011 4:24 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> both beef and corn need at least salt and pepper.

> Good fresh picked corn needs nothing, maybe a beer to wash it down...
> same with a really good steak... so-so stupidmarket steak benefits
> from seasonings, as old corn really needs butter and salt. I don't
> remember ever putting pepper on corn, I'll try it but somehow I don't
> expect it to be a good combination, plus those dark specks will make
> the corn look diseased. Corn on the cob is one vegetable that I don't
> want anything to besmirch its virginity... I like my lips to be first
> to have at those thirteen rows.

I just had some grilled fresh cob of corn. Due to cardiac diet I had it
with no salt and no butter and it was quite tasty. It was, BTW, freshly
picked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> My iPhone takes HD video, so I should take a short 360° look around the
> corn stand and around town at rush hour from a sidewalk spot across the
> street and upload it.
>
> Boring to many? Perhaps!!!
>
> Andy

If you ever see Sue Serio there, take a video of her!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 10:41:31 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:37:28 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 07:20:30 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 00:48:09 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
>>> snip

>>> Amen!
>>> Janet US

>>both beef and corn need at least salt and pepper.

> To each their own. I remember recently talking to you about corn and
> cotija cheese. It's fine with just butter but the cheese takes it to
> another level.
>
> Lou

well, let's just say corn is not at its best bare-naked.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:18:44 -0400, Kate Connally wrote:

> On 8/15/2011 5:02 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 8/15/2011 1:22 PM, Kate Connally wrote:
>>> My aunt picked up a dozen ears for me at a local farm
>>> stand that we always patronize. The only corn I will buy
>>> is from a farm stand or one farm market I frequent. I will
>>> not buy corn from the supermarket under any circumstances.

>> Last year the corn never did come through due to the
>> extremely hot and dry weather. That made the first corn
>> of the year that much sweeter a few weeks ago. The farm
>> stand didn't have any corn, darn! but just then the truck
>> pulled up from the fields and it was all good.
>>
>>> Boy was this stuff good. Maybe it was mostly that it's been
>>> a year since I had any but I wanted to eat the whole dozen
>>> ears at one sitting. Luckily I had only cooked 2 ears, so that's
>>> all I ate. Now I'll have some for other meals. ;-)

>> Fresh corn on the cob is only around for a relatively short
>> amount of time, I say eat it while you got it! Hee.
>>>
>>> I cooked it in the microwaves and rolled each ear in butter and
>>> then sprinkled lightly with salt and then lots of smoked paprika.
>>> Yum!

>> I'm going to have to try that next time.

> It's also good without the salt, just the paprika. My smoke paprika
> is almost gone so I'm switching to ancho chile powder when I run out.
> That's good also. And I might try the chipotle chile powder also.
>
> Kate

lately i've been using butter and zatarain's creole seasoning:

<http://www.zatarains.com/products/spices-and-extracts/creole-seasoning.aspx>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2011 5:04 AM, lilycheese wrote:
> 'Kate Connally[_2_ Wrote:
>> ;1650284']On 8/15/2011 3:19 PM, Sqwertz wrote:-
>> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 13:22:14 -0400, Kate Connally wrote:
>> -
>> My aunt picked up a dozen ears for me at a local farm
>> stand that we always patronize. The only corn I will buy
>> is from a farm stand or one farm market I frequent. I will
>> not buy corn from the supermarket under any circumstances.-
>>
>> Shramm farm? My brother and I were just talking about them. We lived
>> adjacent to their previous farm.
>>
>> -sw-
>>
>> Yes, Schramm's. But this year their corn is $6.50/doz. and it's
>> no longer a baker's dozen. :-( Of course it's gone up everywhere.
>> The corn I got was $5/doz. - last year it was $4/doz.
>>
>> Kate
>>
>> --
>> Kate Connally
>> “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.”
>> Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,
>> Until you bite their heads off.”
>> What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?
>>

> hmm,agreed

I've seen corn recently for three for a dollar recently in supermarkets
but fresher ears cost me 50 cents each a few days ago at a local
Farmers' Market.

OT, or rather "older topic", three types of donut peach were still on
sale at the market...Good too!

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/08/2011 11:03 AM, James Silverton wrote:

> I've seen corn recently for three for a dollar recently in supermarkets
> but fresher ears cost me 50 cents each a few days ago at a local
> Farmers' Market.
>
> OT, or rather "older topic", three types of donut peach were still on
> sale at the market...Good too!

Around here it is selling for 50 cents per cob $2.50 per half dozen or $
per dozen. A few days I was in a supposed discount grocery store where
they were selling packages of 5 shucked cobs on special...... 2 packs of
5 for $5. I wondered how many people thought the 2 for marketing made
it a good deal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:03:09 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>
> > I've seen corn recently for three for a dollar recently in
> > supermarkets but fresher ears cost me 50 cents each a few days ago
> > at a local Farmers' Market.

> 6/$1 here at normal supermarkets, $.13/ea a Walmart.

The walmart stuff isnt as fresh which is why they can get that price.