sizzle steaks?

Old 07-07-2004, 10:14 PM
RobertE
Usenet poster

Default sizzle steaks?

Many years ago when visiting the US I was introduced to something called
sizzle steaks. They were a commercial meat product. As I remember them, they
were a sort of a patty made not from ground meat but from several layers of
very thinly sliced beef. I think there may have been a thin layer of some
sort of stuffing between the layers of meat, but I'm not positive about
that. I think there were perhaps four sizzle steaks packaged and
shrink-wrapped on a styrofoam tray.

My question is this: Does anyone else know of this product and if so, can
you explain just what they were?

TIA

RobertE

Old 07-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Nancy Young
Usenet poster

RobertE wrote:

Many years ago when visiting the US I was introduced to something called
sizzle steaks. They were a commercial meat product. As I remember them, they
were a sort of a patty made not from ground meat but from several layers of
very thinly sliced beef. I think there may have been a thin layer of some
sort of stuffing between the layers of meat, but I'm not positive about
that. I think there were perhaps four sizzle steaks packaged and
shrink-wrapped on a styrofoam tray.

My question is this: Does anyone else know of this product and if so, can
you explain just what they were?

I'm assuming you're talking about Steak Umms or the like. They are
ground meat that is formed into what you saw. Often used for
homemade Philly cheese steaks. You find them in the freezer section.

nancy
Old 07-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Default User
Usenet poster

RobertE wrote:

Many years ago when visiting the US I was introduced to something called
sizzle steaks. They were a commercial meat product. As I remember them, they
were a sort of a patty made not from ground meat but from several layers of
very thinly sliced beef. I think there may have been a thin layer of some
sort of stuffing between the layers of meat, but I'm not positive about
that. I think there were perhaps four sizzle steaks packaged and
shrink-wrapped on a styrofoam tray.

Sounds kind of like Steak-umms.

http://www.steakumm.com/

Brian Rodenborn
Old 07-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Bob (this one)
Usenet poster

Nancy Young wrote:

RobertE wrote:

Many years ago when visiting the US I was introduced to something called
sizzle steaks. They were a commercial meat product. As I remember them, they
were a sort of a patty made not from ground meat but from several layers of
very thinly sliced beef. I think there may have been a thin layer of some
sort of stuffing between the layers of meat, but I'm not positive about
that. I think there were perhaps four sizzle steaks packaged and
shrink-wrapped on a styrofoam tray.

My question is this: Does anyone else know of this product and if so, can
you explain just what they were?

I'm assuming you're talking about Steak Umms or the like. They are
ground meat that is formed into what you saw. Often used for
homemade Philly cheese steaks. You find them in the freezer section.

They're technically called "chopped and formed" steaks.

You can also get thin slices of solid-muscle, top round, rectangle-cut
and stacked like that. Restaurants use them for sandwiches.

Pastorio

Old 07-07-2004, 11:19 PM
Nancy Young
Usenet poster

"Bob (this one)" wrote:

Nancy Young wrote:

I'm assuming you're talking about Steak Umms or the like. They are
ground meat that is formed into what you saw. Often used for
homemade Philly cheese steaks. You find them in the freezer section.

They're technically called "chopped and formed" steaks.

You're correct, of course, I shouldn't have said ground.

You can also get thin slices of solid-muscle, top round, rectangle-cut
and stacked like that. Restaurants use them for sandwiches.

Never saw that in the store.

nancy

Old 08-07-2004, 02:29 AM
The Hacketts
Usenet poster

ttp://www.heartwalk.kintera.org/2004polkFL )
:
: My question is this: Does anyone else know of this product and
if so, can
: you explain just what they were?
:
: TIA
:
: RobertE
=============

Sounds like "Steak Ums", maybe.

Cyndi
(participating this year at:
http://www.heartwalk.kintera.org/2004polkFL )

Old 08-07-2004, 02:32 AM
ConnieG999
Usenet poster

Nancy Young writes:

I'm assuming you're talking about Steak Umms or the like.

Well, sorta but not really. Sizzle steaks are like stacked up Steak Um's,
pressed to make them stick together, and cut in rounds, like a burger. And then
there are some sizzle steaks that have several layers of the steak-um-like
stuff on the outside with burger inside.
Winn Dixie stores here in the south sometimes have them, in the freezer.

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

Old 08-07-2004, 06:43 AM
Blair P. Houghton
Usenet poster

Bob (this one) wrote:
You can also get thin slices of solid-muscle, top round, rectangle-cut
and stacked like that. Restaurants use them for sandwiches.

My local Asian Megamart has this, in rounds, a little less
than 1/8-inch thick.

But, they also have it in Lamb.

Lamb makes a cheesesteak you start to prioritize over
the original. I like it on a potato roll.

PRIORITY CHEESESTEAK:

4 oz thin-sliced lamb
1 slice provolone, halved
2 shallots, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
salt
pepper
olive oil
sub roll

Put a little olive oil in a pan. Add the shallots
and sweat. Add the lamb. Sear until lightly brown on
one side. Flip. Add garlic to bare spot in pan (and
maybe a drop of oil). Push lamb into bun-sized space.
Add salt and pepper and put 2 halves of provolone on top.
When steak and garlic are browned, tip the whole mess into
the bun.

--Blair
"Garnish with appreciative noise."
Old 08-07-2004, 09:17 PM
Kswck
Usenet poster

"Bob (this one)" wrote in message
Nancy Young wrote:

RobertE wrote:

[...]

asking for clarification here Budd's puts out a 'chopped and formed'
(sort-of) meat. Uusally it is called pastrami or turkey or corned beef. They
are about 89 cents each at the supermarket. But I don't think that what the
OP was asking about.

Old 08-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Bob (this one)
Usenet poster

Nancy Young wrote:

RobertE wrote:

[...]

I think you're right. I threw in the comment about solid muscle
because it's out there for steak subs as a contrasting product.

Most "cold cuts" are processed as pieces pressed together, whether
chopped (or even ground) or just compressed. Fast food roast beef is
chopped and formed. Doesn't mean it tastes bad, just that it isn't
whole muscle meat.

Pastorio