Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Rob

Default Tartrate Crystals returning to solution?

I'm cold stabilizing my wine this year (because I can - it's freezing
out there!), and was curious if I had to rack it off the crystals, or
could just wait until my next racking. I've had tartrate in bottles
before, but never noticed them return to solution in great quantity
once they were re-warmed.

Any ideas?

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
miker

I'm bumping this back to the top to see if anyone has an answer since I
was wondering the same thing.

Rob wrote:
> I'm cold stabilizing my wine this year (because I can - it's freezing
> out there!), and was curious if I had to rack it off the crystals, or
> could just wait until my next racking. I've had tartrate in bottles
> before, but never noticed them return to solution in great quantity
> once they were re-warmed.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Mike McGeough

miker wrote:

> I'm bumping this back to the top to see if anyone has an answer since I
> was wondering the same thing.
>

> Rob wrote:
>
>>I'm cold stabilizing my wine this year (because I can - it's freezing
>>out there!), and was curious if I had to rack it off the crystals, or
>>could just wait until my next racking. I've had tartrate in bottles
>>before, but never noticed them return to solution in great quantity
>>once they were re-warmed.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Rob

Mike,

tartrate crystals, once formed, don't return into solution easily,
unless you apply extra heat. A certain amount of heat is liberated in
their formation and you've gotta supply that energy again to get them to
go back. Since tartrate crystals are often found in bottles which have
been at room temp for a long time, I'd say that their long term
stability is good.

I've never had a noticeable problem with crystals redissolving after
cold stabilization, but that's based on casual observation, not careful
measurement.

FWIW, it's recommended to let cold stabilized wine return to room temp
before racking, to avoid excessive oxygen absorption.

--
Mike MTM, Cokesbury, NJ, USA

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Joe Sallustio

That is my understanding too. The only way I can think of to test it
is to stir a carboy of wine and rack it into separate vessels and cold
stabilize both. Rack one cold and the other warmed to room temp and
measure the results.

Joe

After returning ... Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 15 27-05-2008 12:11 AM
crystals in chokecherry pheasant Winemaking 3 20-03-2006 11:08 PM
Returning (me) Siobhan Perricone General Cooking 10 06-03-2006 03:49 AM
Tartrate Crystals ab Winemaking 4 22-06-2004 04:04 PM
Seyval Crystals genekay Winemaking 6 28-11-2003 05:17 PM