ab

Default Tartrate Crystals

I have a Sauvignon Blanc that I drew an amount off from my main batch
and cold settled it in my refrigerator.

Tartrate crystals formed but I dont have access to a refrigeration
plant or one big enough to take my batch.

Is there anyway to remove tartrate crystals without cold settling?

Thanks

AB1
Lum

"ab" > wrote in message
om...
> I have a Sauvignon Blanc that I drew an amount off from my main batch
> and cold settled it in my refrigerator.
>
> Tartrate crystals formed but I dont have access to a refrigeration
> plant or one big enough to take my batch.
>
> Is there anyway to remove tartrate crystals without cold settling?
>
> Thanks
>
> AB1

Yes, but it's not easy. All you need is an ion exchange column and a
graduate in chemistry to run the column.
Have you considered using five, 1-gallon jugs and your refrigerator?
Regards,
Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

Glen Duff

Time works very well if you age it in the carboy, and of course the
cooler the better.

Glen Duff
-------------

ab wrote:

> I have a Sauvignon Blanc that I drew an amount off from my main batch
> and cold settled it in my refrigerator.
>
> Tartrate crystals formed but I dont have access to a refrigeration
> plant or one big enough to take my batch.
>
> Is there anyway to remove tartrate crystals without cold settling?
>
> Thanks
>
> AB1

Aubrey

"Lum" > wrote in message >...
> "ab" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I have a Sauvignon Blanc that I drew an amount off from my main batch
> > and cold settled it in my refrigerator.
> >
> > Tartrate crystals formed but I dont have access to a refrigeration
> > plant or one big enough to take my batch.
> >
> > Is there anyway to remove tartrate crystals without cold settling?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > AB1

> Yes, but it's not easy. All you need is an ion exchange column and a
> graduate in chemistry to run the column.
> Have you considered using five, 1-gallon jugs and your refrigerator?
> Regards,
> Lum
> Del Mar, California, USA

If you look around or check with friends and relatives you may be able
to purchase and old refrigerator that works great and is cheap. I gave
$75 for a 23 Cubic foot that will hold three five gallon carboys with
the shelves removed. The temperature can be lowered to 32 to 34 degree
and it works great for me. I fabricated a three inch stand to level
out the bottom and with the shelves removed I can easily place three 5
gallon carboys inside. The color is awful and it looks like crap, but
it works. As a bonus, my wife gets to use to store fresh vegetables in
the summer till she freezes them or whatever.
Aubrey

"Lum" > wrote in message >...
> "ab" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I have a Sauvignon Blanc that I drew an amount off from my main batch
> > and cold settled it in my refrigerator.
> >
> > Tartrate crystals formed but I dont have access to a refrigeration
> > plant or one big enough to take my batch.
> >
> > Is there anyway to remove tartrate crystals without cold settling?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > AB1

> Yes, but it's not easy. All you need is an ion exchange column and a
> graduate in chemistry to run the column.
> Have you considered using five, 1-gallon jugs and your refrigerator?
> Regards,
> Lum
> Del Mar, California, USA

If you look around or check with friends and relatives you may be able
to purchase and old refrigerator that works great and is cheap. I gave
$75 for a 23 Cubic foot that will hold three five gallon carboys with
the shelves removed. The temperature can be lowered to 32 to 34 degree
and it works great for me. I fabricated a three inch stand to level
out the bottom and with the shelves removed I can easily place three 5
gallon carboys inside. The color is awful and it looks like crap, but
it works. As a bonus, my wife gets to use to store fresh vegetables in
the summer till she freezes them or whatever. Aubrey Martinez, Ga
30907

crystals in chokecherry pheasant Winemaking 3 20-03-2006 10:08 PM
Tartrate Crystals returning to solution? Rob Winemaking 3 28-12-2005 09:47 PM
Little White Crystals Don and Lisa Kerber Winemaking 3 30-01-2004 12:53 PM
Seyval Crystals genekay Winemaking 6 28-11-2003 04:17 PM
crystals in wine Mark Winemaking 6 20-10-2003 11:19 AM