Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Mike McGeough

Default Tartrate Crystals returning to solution?

miker wrote:

> I'm bumping this back to the top to see if anyone has an answer since I
> was wondering the same thing.
>

> Rob wrote:
>
>>I'm cold stabilizing my wine this year (because I can - it's freezing
>>out there!), and was curious if I had to rack it off the crystals, or
>>could just wait until my next racking. I've had tartrate in bottles
>>before, but never noticed them return to solution in great quantity
>>once they were re-warmed.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Rob

Mike,

tartrate crystals, once formed, don't return into solution easily,
unless you apply extra heat. A certain amount of heat is liberated in
their formation and you've gotta supply that energy again to get them to
go back. Since tartrate crystals are often found in bottles which have
been at room temp for a long time, I'd say that their long term
stability is good.

I've never had a noticeable problem with crystals redissolving after
cold stabilization, but that's based on casual observation, not careful
measurement.

FWIW, it's recommended to let cold stabilized wine return to room temp
before racking, to avoid excessive oxygen absorption.

--
Mike MTM, Cokesbury, NJ, USA

http://www.usenet.com