Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Kentucky

Default Flavoring new wine with concentrated juice

Newbie question.
Were others who flavored/sweetened wine at bottling happy with the
resulting wine ?
Did it keep (1 - 3 years) well?
Will be bottling first batch of Buffalo grape (6gallon) at month end.
Have been tasting at rackings.
Pretty color, clear, lots of alcohol (est. 14%) kinda flat with little
grape flavor.
Batch is to be split for 2 taste preferences.
I want sweet and fruity. Other wants dry and mellow.
What do you think about adding frozen pure grape juice concentrate?
Plus sugar?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
DAve Allison

Well, I'm kinda new also. But I did what I read in this newsgroup - like
wine to fill between racks, and flavor/sweeten cautiously (a little goes
a long way). Ensure to stablize after adding grape juice concentrate
since it is possible it will start fermenting from left over yeast.
Stablize with Sorbate K or equivalent and let sit for another 7-10 days.

I have used Raspberry flavoring (used for beer making), grape juice, and
even Pinot Noir and Chablis. Seems they all did well, if you remember to
add a little bit, taste and add to taste.

That's my 2 cents, I'm only on my 8th batch of wines, but learning fast.
DAve

Kentucky wrote:
> Newbie question.
> Were others who flavored/sweetened wine at bottling happy with the
> resulting wine ?
> Did it keep (1 - 3 years) well?
> Will be bottling first batch of Buffalo grape (6gallon) at month end.
> Have been tasting at rackings.
> Pretty color, clear, lots of alcohol (est. 14%) kinda flat with little
> grape flavor.
> Batch is to be split for 2 taste preferences.
> I want sweet and fruity. Other wants dry and mellow.
> What do you think about adding frozen pure grape juice concentrate?
> Plus sugar?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Ray Calvert

Certainly, sweetening has no effect on longevity of wine. Well maybe it
will shorten it's longevity if you like sweet wine! ;o) I always make wines
as dry as possible and then sweeten if necessary. It also gives you some
options. You can simply used sugar or you can use honey or maple syrup for
special effects. You could even use filtered juice to remain pure to what
you made the wine from. Just remember to stabilize it first.

Ray

"Kentucky" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Newbie question.
> Were others who flavored/sweetened wine at bottling happy with the
> resulting wine ?
> Did it keep (1 - 3 years) well?
> Will be bottling first batch of Buffalo grape (6gallon) at month end.
> Have been tasting at rackings.
> Pretty color, clear, lots of alcohol (est. 14%) kinda flat with little
> grape flavor.
> Batch is to be split for 2 taste preferences.
> I want sweet and fruity. Other wants dry and mellow.
> What do you think about adding frozen pure grape juice concentrate?
> Plus sugar?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Kentucky

Thanks Dave & Ray.
I also did a search on this group before posting my question.
Seems like there are lots of options, kind of like seasoning while
cooking.
My question after looking at previous posts centered on the risks and
rewards of different approaches.
After reading your responses and "woodwerks" email I am going to try
frozen unadulterated grape concentrate.
I read some cautions on this choice regarding acidity.
Not quite sure how that impacts taste as this is my first batch.
I will do as you recommend and flavor just a little at a time until I
get the desired taste.
I will then flavor my share, add the potassium sorbate, wait one week,
then bottle (?).

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Sorbate first, leave it for a few days, then sweeten, leave it for a
few days, then bottle.

Kentucky wrote:
> Thanks Dave & Ray.
> I also did a search on this group before posting my question.
> Seems like there are lots of options, kind of like seasoning while
> cooking.
> My question after looking at previous posts centered on the risks and
> rewards of different approaches.
> After reading your responses and "woodwerks" email I am going to try
> frozen unadulterated grape concentrate.
> I read some cautions on this choice regarding acidity.
> Not quite sure how that impacts taste as this is my first batch.
> I will do as you recommend and flavor just a little at a time until I
> get the desired taste.
> I will then flavor my share, add the potassium sorbate, wait one week,
> then bottle (?).

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Kentucky

I am confused (but that is a normal state for me while trying to make
wine),
I have an acid titration kit.
I used this kit (as directed) to test the must when I first started
this batch of wine.
I got a number of 65 or 6.5 or .065 There was 3.5 left in the syringe
when the color went dark and I subtracted that from 10 and got the 65.
Common sense tells me this is not the same test you are recommending.
I searched this group for "free SO2 test" and got
WAY too much information (smile).
Knowing my novice skill level, what test do you recommend?
A recommendation of a store and/or supplier would also be appreciated.
Thanks again all.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
tessamess

I don't know anything about acid testing..but I do know a really good
online supply.

www.brew-winemaking.com

It's where I get all my stuff, they're in Minnesota and I'm in
Southwest Texas and I get all my stuff within a about 4 days from
ordering. And they have a helpline and help-email. Plus they give you a
free video of how to brew beer or make wine and they have tons of stuff
in their catalogue.
I'm just really happy with them. ( And no..it's not a real sales
pitch..I don't work there
Good luck! ( that's what I've been having so far

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
JEP62

Kentucky wrote:
> I am confused (but that is a normal state for me while trying to make
> wine),
> I have an acid titration kit.
> I used this kit (as directed) to test the must when I first started
> this batch of wine.
> I got a number of 65 or 6.5 or .065 There was 3.5 left in the syringe
> when the color went dark and I subtracted that from 10 and got the 65.
> Common sense tells me this is not the same test you are recommending.
> I searched this group for "free SO2 test" and got
> WAY too much information (smile).
> Knowing my novice skill level, what test do you recommend?
> A recommendation of a store and/or supplier would also be appreciated.
> Thanks again all.

An acid test kit is different than a test for SO2 although some acid
test kits have an "add on" so you can test SO2.

Titrets SO2 test kit is probably the most popular method with home
winemakers. I've included a link to one on-line source but most home
brew shops will carry them.

http://www.beer-wine.com/product_inf...76&sectionID=2

I lot of novices just use campden tablets and rule of thumb to keep the
SO2 level up. The important thing is that you're taking a risk if you
use Sorbate without a proper level of SO2 (sulfites) in the wine.

Andy