Triplex

Default Concentrated Juice...100% Juice???

1). What should you look for on bottled juices or frozen to make sure
there are no preservatives in it that would prevent yeast from fermenting?
I've heard to stay away from jucie blends also....

Charles H

Triplex wrote:

> 1). What should you look for on bottled juices or frozen to make sure
> there are no preservatives in it that would prevent yeast from fermenting?
> I've heard to stay away from jucie blends also....

Avoid anything that has potassium sorbate in it. I'm sure there are
other perservatives as well that should be avoided, but nothing comes to
mind.

--
charles

"Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were
forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."
- W.C. Fields
Mark L.

In the past, I've used the 100%juice welch's concentrate. Make sure
it says 100% juice on it. You want to avoid anything that has "high
fructose corn syrup" in it. Some may contain high levels of sulphite
and/or potassuim sorbate which will inhibit yeast activation. Watch
out for those. However, sulphites can blow off in about 24 hrs. with
some vigorous stirring...then add yeast. Although I haven't done them
in quite a while, I've made the following with tremendous success:

white grape raspberry
white grape cranberry
white grape peach
concord (was good for a concord, but I don't like the foxiness)

Usually 10 cans plus about 4lbs sugar yield 5 1/2 gallons of must that
will give around 12.5% potential alcohol. Dissolve the sugar in
boiling H2O first and make sure the must cools down! Good luck!

Mark L.
Buffalo-Niagara

Triplex > wrote in message . 130>...
> 1). What should you look for on bottled juices or frozen to make sure
> there are no preservatives in it that would prevent yeast from fermenting?
> I've heard to stay away from jucie blends also....

Negodki

"Triplex" > wrote:

> 1). What should you look for on bottled juices or frozen to make sure
> there are no preservatives in it that would prevent yeast from fermenting?
> I've heard to stay away from jucie blends also....

If you are in the US, federal law requires listing any ingredients which
make up more than 4% of the content, as well as ANY preservatives and
certain other chemicals, no matter what the percentage. Most western
countries have similar laws.

If potassium sorbate, ascorbic acid, hydrochloric acid, formaldehyde (don't
laugh --- I've seen it), non-specific "flavour preservatives", or any
chemicals with which you are unfamiliar, are listed, I would avoid the
product. If it says "sulfites added" or "potassium metabisulphite added to
preserve freshness", you can use it, but I would aerate it well (by pouring
back and forth between two containers, or by stirring vigorously) before
pitching yeast. And, of course, you wouldn't want to add more sulfite at
this stage.

I can't think of any reason not to use juice blends, if the blend is
something from which you wish to make wine --- and no objectionable
ingredients are listed.

Tim McNally

I made a very good wine from Welsh's concord and added some
elderberries fro a short soak. The wine came out like a beaujolais
with a little too much tannin. It is still resting for its 3rd year.
Tim