Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Concentrated veg juice?

I've been on a vegetable juice kick recently but hate carrying those
heavy bottles of mostly water home from the grocery. Does there exist
concentrated veg juice - on the shelf or frozen? I've looked but all I
have seen are frozen fruit juices.

TIA

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 2, 1:30�pm, Ken > wrote:
> I've been on a vegetable juice kick recently but hate carrying those
> heavy bottles of mostly water home from the grocery. Does there exist
> concentrated veg juice - on the shelf or frozen? I've looked but all I
> have seen are frozen fruit juices.

You pretty much need a juicing machine, the only vegetable juice
available in concentrate is tomato (and tomato is actually a fruit).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 02 Jun 2008 10:30:47a, Ken told us...

> I've been on a vegetable juice kick recently but hate carrying those
> heavy bottles of mostly water home from the grocery. Does there exist
> concentrated veg juice - on the shelf or frozen? I've looked but all I
> have seen are frozen fruit juices.
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

V-8 used to produce a frozen concentrate. I don't know if they still do.
It might be worth asking at the supermarket.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 06(VI)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

> On Mon 02 Jun 2008 10:30:47a, Ken told us...
>
>> I've been on a vegetable juice kick recently but hate carrying those
>> heavy bottles of mostly water home from the grocery. Does there exist
>> concentrated veg juice - on the shelf or frozen? I've looked but all I
>> have seen are frozen fruit juices.

> V-8 used to produce a frozen concentrate. I don't know if they still do.
> It might be worth asking at the supermarket.

That's a great idea! I've been lugging around cases of seltzer,
do you think that comes in concentrate, too?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 02 Jun 2008 02:04:22p, Nancy Young told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
>
>> On Mon 02 Jun 2008 10:30:47a, Ken told us...
>>
>>> I've been on a vegetable juice kick recently but hate carrying those
>>> heavy bottles of mostly water home from the grocery. Does there exist
>>> concentrated veg juice - on the shelf or frozen? I've looked but all I
>>> have seen are frozen fruit juices.

>> V-8 used to produce a frozen concentrate. I don't know if they still

do.
>> It might be worth asking at the supermarket.

> That's a great idea! I've been lugging around cases of seltzer,
> do you think that comes in concentrate, too?
>
> nancy

The brand is Tiny Bubbles. Look for it in the wine section.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 06(VI)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

> On Mon 02 Jun 2008 02:04:22p, Nancy Young told us...

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

>>> V-8 used to produce a frozen concentrate. I don't know if they still

> do.
>>> It might be worth asking at the supermarket.

>> That's a great idea! I've been lugging around cases of seltzer,
>> do you think that comes in concentrate, too?

> The brand is Tiny Bubbles. Look for it in the wine section.

Thanks! I will.

(laugh) nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 02 Jun 2008 10:30:47a, Ken told us...
>
> > I've been on a vegetable juice kick recently but hate carrying those
> > heavy bottles of mostly water home from the grocery. Does there exist
> > concentrated veg juice - on the shelf or frozen? I've looked but all I
> > have seen are frozen fruit juices.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Ken
> >

> V-8 used to produce a frozen concentrate. I don't know if they still do.
> It might be worth asking at the supermarket.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Hey thanks for the headsup! I too like veg juice but it's expensive in
those large bottles and even more expensive in the little cans. Will
have a look locally this week and see.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 02 Jun 2008 03:29:07p, Arri London told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> On Mon 02 Jun 2008 10:30:47a, Ken told us...
>>
>> > I've been on a vegetable juice kick recently but hate carrying those
>> > heavy bottles of mostly water home from the grocery. Does there exist
>> > concentrated veg juice - on the shelf or frozen? I've looked but all I
>> > have seen are frozen fruit juices.
>> >
>> > TIA
>> >
>> > Ken
>> >

>> V-8 used to produce a frozen concentrate. I don't know if they still

do.
>> It might be worth asking at the supermarket.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Hey thanks for the headsup! I too like veg juice but it's expensive in
> those large bottles and even more expensive in the little cans. Will
> have a look locally this week and see.

I am assuming they still make it, Arri. I know they once did as I use to
buy the concentrate. Hope you find it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 06(VI)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
>
> > On Mon 02 Jun 2008 10:30:47a, Ken told us...
> >
> >> I've been on a vegetable juice kick recently but hate carrying those
> >> heavy bottles of mostly water home from the grocery. Does there exist
> >> concentrated veg juice - on the shelf or frozen? I've looked but all I
> >> have seen are frozen fruit juices.

> > V-8 used to produce a frozen concentrate. I don't know if they still do.
> > It might be worth asking at the supermarket.

> That's a great idea! I've been lugging around cases of seltzer,
> do you think that comes in concentrate, too?

And Gray Goose -- they should make that as a concentrate!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:

> I've been on a vegetable juice kick recently but hate carrying those
> heavy bottles of mostly water home from the grocery. Does there exist
> concentrated veg juice - on the shelf or frozen? I've looked but all I
> have seen are frozen fruit juices.

This does not mean to imply that you can buy it retail, but isn't
some/most vegetable juice (I'm talking about blends like V-8) as you buy
it made from concentrate?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> That's a great idea! I've been lugging around cases of seltzer,
>> do you think that comes in concentrate, too?

> And Gray Goose -- they should make that as a concentrate!

I thought that's what they gave you on airplanes?

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
>
>> On Mon 02 Jun 2008 10:30:47a, Ken told us...
>>
>>> I've been on a vegetable juice kick recently but hate carrying those
>>> heavy bottles of mostly water home from the grocery. Does there exist
>>> concentrated veg juice - on the shelf or frozen? I've looked but all I
>>> have seen are frozen fruit juices.

>> V-8 used to produce a frozen concentrate. I don't know if they still do.
>> It might be worth asking at the supermarket.

> That's a great idea! I've been lugging around cases of seltzer,
> do you think that comes in concentrate, too?

My usual grocery stocks that next to the deydreated water.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 02 Jun 2008 02:04:22p, Nancy Young told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
>
>> On Mon 02 Jun 2008 10:30:47a, Ken told us...
>>
>>> I've been on a vegetable juice kick recently but hate carrying those
>>> heavy bottles of mostly water home from the grocery. Does there exist
>>> concentrated veg juice - on the shelf or frozen? I've looked but all I
>>> have seen are frozen fruit juices.

>> V-8 used to produce a frozen concentrate. I don't know if they still

do.
>> It might be worth asking at the supermarket.

> That's a great idea! I've been lugging around cases of seltzer,
> do you think that comes in concentrate, too?
>
> nancy

Nancy, seriously, you might try one of these...

http://www.sodaclubusa.com/seltzer_lovers.asp

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 06(VI)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 02 Jun 2008 03:29:07p, Arri London told us...
>

>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon 02 Jun 2008 10:30:47a, Ken told us...

>>> V-8 used to produce a frozen concentrate. I don't know if they
>>> still do. It might be worth asking at the supermarket.
>>>

>> Hey thanks for the headsup! I too like veg juice but it's expensive
>> in those large bottles and even more expensive in the little cans.
>> Will have a look locally this week and see.
>>

> I am assuming they still make it, Arri. I know they once did as I
> use to buy the concentrate. Hope you find it.

I checked their web site and find no mention of this product being
available. It probably wasn't as profitable as charging for the bottles and
cans...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> That's a great idea! I've been lugging around cases of seltzer,
>>> do you think that comes in concentrate, too?

>> And Gray Goose -- they should make that as a concentrate!

> I thought that's what they gave you on airplanes?

Nobody ever made me concentrate on an airplane. Usually I just go to
sleep.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

If you want concentrated or freeze dried stuff, the one good thing
about the price of oil is that manufacturers will consider anything to
cut the cost of shipping . . . and water is very heavy and takes up a
lot of space.

Lynn from Fargo
Thinking that might also be a boost for local food,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 2, 5:03*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
>
> > On Mon 02 Jun 2008 02:04:22p, Nancy Young told us...
> >> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

> > do.

> >> That's a great idea! *I've been lugging around cases of seltzer,
> >> do you think that comes in concentrate, too?

> > The brand is Tiny Bubbles. *Look for it in the wine section.

> Thanks! *I will.

You can get a seltzer bottle, which uses CO2 cartidges.

> (laugh) *nancy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote

>On Jun 2, 5:03 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> >> That's a great idea! I've been lugging around cases of seltzer,
> >> do you think that comes in concentrate, too?

>You can get a seltzer bottle, which uses CO2 cartidges.

Actually, I have one. I was just thinking the other day, I need
to use up the cartridges I have.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 12:03�am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> Hey thanks for the headsup! I too like veg juice but it's expensive
> >> in those large bottles and even more expensive in the little cans.
> >> Will have a look locally this week and see.

> > I am assuming they still make it, Arri. �I know they once did as I
> > use to buy the concentrate. �Hope you find it.

> I checked their web site and find no mention of this product being
> available. �It probably wasn't as profitable as charging for the bottles and
> cans...

I don't remember there ever being a V-8 concentrate, frozen or
otherwise... and I too checked their web site, there's no mention of
any kind of concentrate... Duh'Wayne just made that up.

When checking the ingredients used to produce V-8 it's quite obvious
that it's really a flavored tomato juice product rather than a true
vegetable juice. If one wants to take the time and make the effort
it's pretty easy to make one's own by processing the flavoring
ingredients with some water in a blender and then straining out the
fiberous parts if desired and stirring the resultant juice with tomato
paste and water. For a true vegetable juice a juicing machine is
necessary. Personally I'd rather spend my resources on a fresh salsa,
a far more nutritious and tastier product. To me V-8's only useful
purpose is as an alcoholic bevrage mixer. Anyways, add a pinch of
celery salt to any tomato juice and you'd be hard pressed to determine
it's not V-8

Upon reading the ingredients in V-8 one wonders if it's not a hyped up
way to sell the wilted bits from the dumpster behind any produce
market... other than tomato the only other ingredient I taste is
celery... and they probably add a wee bit of beet juice for deeper
color and to keep a certain MN vamp away. <g>

http://www.v8juice.com/FAQ_v8.aspx

---
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Jun 3, 12:03?am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Mon 02 Jun 2008 03:29:07p, Arri London told us...

>>> I am assuming they still make it, Arri. ?I know they once did as I
>>> use to buy the concentrate. ?Hope you find it.

>> I checked their web site and find no mention of this product being
>> available. ?It probably wasn't as profitable as charging for the
>> bottles and cans...

> If one wants to take the time and make the effort
> it's pretty easy to make one's own by processing the flavoring
> ingredients with some water in a blender and then straining out the
> fiberous parts

One could always purchase the Jack LaLanne Power Juicer from the Home
Shopping Network Infomercial http://tinyurl.com/3e6g6n

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 03 Jun 2008 11:17:06a, jmcquown told us...

> Sheldon wrote:

>>> I checked their web site and find no mention of this product being
>>> available. ?It probably wasn't as profitable as charging for the
>>> bottles and cans...

>> If one wants to take the time and make the effort
>> it's pretty easy to make one's own by processing the flavoring
>> ingredients with some water in a blender and then straining out the
>> fiberous parts

> One could always purchase the Jack LaLanne Power Juicer from the Home
> Shopping Network Infomercial http://tinyurl.com/3e6g6n
>
> Jill

Any good juicer will do, and are probably better than his product. During
tomato season, my parents used to make a tomato juice cocktail using a
juicer that they would pressure can in quart jars. We always had enough
for a year. My mother never used a recipe. I sure wish I could duplicate
it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 06(VI)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:

> >> I checked their web site and find no mention of this product being
> >> available. ?It probably wasn't as profitable as charging for the
> >> bottles and cans...

> > If one wants to take the time and make the effort
> > it's pretty easy to make one's own by processing the flavoring
> > ingredients with some water in a blender and then straining out the
> > fiberous parts

> One could always purchase the Jack LaLanne Power Juicer from the Home
> Shopping Network Infomercial http://tinyurl.com/3e6g6n
>
> Jill

We were given a name-brand juicer some years ago. The first time we
fired it up it worked beautifully but with enough decibel power to just
about rattle the windows. Gave it to someone with less sensitive hearing

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 02 Jun 2008 03:29:07p, Arri London told us...
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >>
> >> On Mon 02 Jun 2008 10:30:47a, Ken told us...

> >> V-8 used to produce a frozen concentrate. I don't know if they still

> do.
> >> It might be worth asking at the supermarket.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright

> > Hey thanks for the headsup! I too like veg juice but it's expensive in
> > those large bottles and even more expensive in the little cans. Will
> > have a look locally this week and see.
> >

> I am assuming they still make it, Arri. I know they once did as I use to
> buy the concentrate. Hope you find it.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

TY but maybe won't have any success. It is likely more profitable for
them to sell the ready-mixed stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 03 Jun 2008 05:08:17p, Arri London told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > Hey thanks for the headsup! I too like veg juice but it's expensive
>> > in those large bottles and even more expensive in the little cans.
>> > Will have a look locally this week and see.
>> >

>> I am assuming they still make it, Arri. I know they once did as I use
>> to buy the concentrate. Hope you find it.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>

> TY but maybe won't have any success. It is likely more profitable for
> them to sell the ready-mixed stuff.

There are many products that have gone by the wayside, for whatever reason.
Campbell's used to make a line of frozen soups that were concentrated and
very fresh tasting. I recall one in particular, because I used to use it
as a base for a dip. It was a frozen shrimp bisque. Their frozen soups
were probably the best products they ever made, but pricier. This was back
in the 1960s, and folks probably didn't want to pay more than what they
were accustomed to paying for a canned version. The canned shrimp bisque
they replaced it with was an abomination.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 06(VI)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
I went on a 30-day diet - and lost 30 days!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 03 Jun 2008 05:08:17p, Arri London told us...
>
> There are many products that have gone by the wayside, for whatever
> reason. Campbell's used to make a line of frozen soups that were
> concentrated and very fresh tasting. I recall one in particular,
> because I used to use it as a base for a dip. It was a frozen shrimp
> bisque. Their frozen soups were probably the best products they ever
> made, but pricier. This was back in the 1960s, and folks probably
> didn't want to pay more than what they were accustomed to paying for
> a canned version. The canned shrimp bisque they replaced it with was
> an abomination.

Isn't that just the way it is? Seems any time I find a product I
particularly love they stop making it. For non-food things (like a specific
shade of lipstick LOL) I buy two or three of whatever because I just *know*
it will disappear from the shelves. Unfortunately I don't have room to
stock up on specific food items to last for years!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in news:6andqoF38uvb7U1
@mid.individual.net:

> Seems any time I find a product I
> particularly love they stop making it.

Kraft quit making their bottles of limburger cheese. I loved it. I've not
found a replacement. No limburger anywhere in the stores I've tried.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote on 4 Jun 2008 18:10:46 GMT:

>> Seems any time I find a product I
>> particularly love they stop making it.

> Kraft quit making their bottles of limburger cheese. I loved
> it. I've not found a replacement. No limburger anywhere in the
> stores I've tried.

For making a quick and acceptable pizza, Contadina used to sell
pizza sauce in a squeeze bottle. Tho' I saw it a month ago, I
couldn't find it yesterday.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 04 Jun 2008 11:10:46a, Ken told us...

> "jmcquown" > wrote in news:6andqoF38uvb7U1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> Seems any time I find a product I particularly love they stop making
>> it.

> Kraft quit making their bottles of limburger cheese. I loved it. I've not
> found a replacement. No limburger anywhere in the stores I've tried.
>
> Ken

Bummer. I used to buy that. I think the last time was this past
Christmas. There was only one store I could find it at. I'm going back
there to see if they replaced it with something else.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 06(VI)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in news:6andqoF38uvb7U1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> Seems any time I find a product I
>> particularly love they stop making it.

> Kraft quit making their bottles of limburger cheese. I loved it. I've
> not found a replacement. No limburger anywhere in the stores I've
> tried.
>
> Ken

In a crock? I saw that when I was in SC. I remember my father bringing it
home from some base commissary we lived on, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 05 Jun 2008 12:30:58p, jmcquown told us...

> Ken wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in news:6andqoF38uvb7U1
>> @mid.individual.net:
>>
>>> Seems any time I find a product I particularly love they stop making
>>> it.

>> Kraft quit making their bottles of limburger cheese. I loved it. I've
>> not found a replacement. No limburger anywhere in the stores I've
>> tried.
>>
>> Ken

> In a crock? I saw that when I was in SC. I remember my father bringing

it
> home from some base commissary we lived on, too.

Yep, it used to available in a crock, but haven't seen that in decades.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 06(VI)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Ken wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in news:6andqoF38uvb7U1
>> @mid.individual.net:
>>
>>> Seems any time I find a product I
>>> particularly love they stop making it.

>> Kraft quit making their bottles of limburger cheese. I loved it. I've
>> not found a replacement. No limburger anywhere in the stores I've
>> tried.
>>
>> Ken

> In a crock? I saw that when I was in SC. I remember my father
> bringing it home from some base commissary we lived on, too.

No, the one I was thinking of was in an 8 oz. straight-sided glass jar
labeled "Mohawk Valley".

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 06 Jun 2008 10:15:46a, Ken told us...

> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Ken wrote:
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in news:6andqoF38uvb7U1
>>> @mid.individual.net:

>>> Kraft quit making their bottles of limburger cheese. I loved it. I've
>>> not found a replacement. No limburger anywhere in the stores I've
>>> tried.
>>>
>>> Ken

>> In a crock? I saw that when I was in SC. I remember my father
>> bringing it home from some base commissary we lived on, too.
>>

> No, the one I was thinking of was in an 8 oz. straight-sided glass jar
> labeled "Mohawk Valley".
>
> Ken

That's what I used to buy. Sorry to hear they've stopped making it. It
was my favorite limburger.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 06(VI)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 16:07:18 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
>>
>> > On Mon 02 Jun 2008 10:30:47a, Ken told us...

>> > V-8 used to produce a frozen concentrate. I don't know if they still do.
>> > It might be worth asking at the supermarket.

>> That's a great idea! I've been lugging around cases of seltzer,
>> do you think that comes in concentrate, too?

>And Gray Goose -- they should make that as a concentrate!

Its called Everclear!

Concentrated OJ biig General Cooking 17 28-05-2006 02:16 AM
Four RECIPES: "Fruit Spreads" - use concentrated fruit juice for sweetener Melba's Jammin' Preserving 20 27-05-2006 12:51 AM
ISO fruit jam recipes using Concentrated grape or apple juice Aileen Preserving 17 02-05-2006 04:45 AM
Flavoring new wine with concentrated juice Kentucky Winemaking 9 18-11-2005 02:20 PM
Concentrated Juice...100% Juice??? Triplex Winemaking 4 31-10-2003 11:24 AM