Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Four RECIPES: "Fruit Spreads" - use concentrated fruit juice for sweetener

On April 25, Aileen in Canada requested some recipes for jams made with
concentrated fruit juices. I'd made some once and knew I'd find the
recipes somewhere. . . . :-) I hope she sees these. I'll try to
email them to her, too.

Caveat: Note the uncommon instructions for cook time - 20 minutes.
(Except for the blueberry stuff - 15 minutes.) It's been several years
since I made the stuff and my recollection is that it was with a rather
poor outcome - the stuff was like brick mortar, IIRC (and I might not).
I have also included processing for a boiling water bath, rather than
the inversion method they stated at the time.

Strawberry Fruit Spread

Source: Posted to r.f.preserving by Barb Schaller, 5-22-06; recipe from
SureJell, 1994.

Strawberry Fruit Spread

4 cups prepared fruit (about 2 quarts fully ripe strawberries)
2 cans (12 ounces each) frozen concentrated sweetened white grape juice,
thawed
1 box SureJell For Lower Sugar Recipes fruit pectin powder
1/2 tsp margarine or butter

Stem and thoroughly crush berries, one layer at a time. Measure 4 cups
into a 6- or 8-quart saucepot. (Do not use a smaller saucepot or fruit
spread will not set.) Stir in juice concentrate.

Stir fruit pectin gradually into fruit mixture in saucepot. Add
margarine. Bring mixture to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring
constantly. Boil exactly 20 minutes, stirring constantly. (It is
important to stir constantly for 20 minutes to get a good set.) Remove
from heat. Skim off any foam with a metal spoon.

Ladle quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops.
Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Process in a
boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Makes about 5 half pint jars,

Note: Spread sets slowly; allow 1 week.

Comment: I'm not responsible for the outcome of this recipe if you try
it. :-)

Peach Fruit Spread

Source: Posted to r.f.preserving by Barb Schaller, 5-22-06; recipe from
SureJell, 1994.

Peach Fruit Spread

4 cups prepared fruit (about 2-1/2 pounds fully ripe peaches)
2 cans (12 ounces each) frozen concentrated sweetened white grape juice,
thawed
1 tsp Ever-Fresh Fruit Protector (optional) to discourage darkening of
peaches
1 box SureJell For Lower Sugar Recipes fruit pectin powder
1/2 tsp margarine or butter

Peel, pit and finely chop peaches. Measure 4 cups into a 6- or 8-quart
saucepot. (Do not use a smaller saucepot or fruit spread will not set.)
Stir in juice concentrate and fruit protector.

Stir fruit pectin gradually into fruit mixture in saucepot. Add
margarine. Bring mixture to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring
constantly. Boil exactly 20 minutes, stirring constantly. (It is
important to stir constantly for 20 minutes to get a good set.) Remove
from heat. Skim off any foam with a metal spoon.

Ladle quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops.
Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Process in a
boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Makes about 4 half pint jars,

Comment: I'm not responsible for the outcome of this recipe if you try
it. :-)

Peach Melba Fruit Spread

Source: Posted to r.f.preserving by Barb Schaller, 5-22-06; recipe from
SureJell, 1994.

Peach Melba Fruit Spread

4 cups prepared fruit (about 2 pounds fully ripe peaches or frozen
unsweetened peaches, thawed; and 1 pint fully ripe red raspberries)
2 cans (12 ounces each) frozen concentrated sweetened white grape juice,
thawed
1 box SureJell For Lower Sugar Recipes fruit pectin powder
1/2 tsp margarine or butter

Peel, pit and finely chop peaches. Measure 3cups into a 6- or 8-quart
saucepot. Crush raspberries thoroughly, one layer at a time. Measure 1
cup into peaches in saucepot. (Do not use a smaller saucepot or fruit
spread will not set.) Stir in juice concentrate.

Stir fruit pectin gradually into fruit mixture in saucepot. Add
margarine. Bring mixture to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring
constantly. Boil exactly 20 minutes, stirring constantly. (It is
important to stir constantly for 20 minutes to get a good set.) Remove
from heat. Skim off any foam with a metal spoon.

Ladle quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops.
Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Process in a
boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Makes about 4 half pint jars,

Comment: I'm not responsible for the outcome of this recipe if you try
it. :-)

Blueberry Fruit Spread

Source: Posted to r.f.preserving by Barb Schaller, 5-22-06; recipe from
SureJell, 1994.

Blueberry Fruit Spread

4 cups prepared fruit (about 3 pints fully ripe blueberries)
2 cans (12 ounces each) frozen concentrated sweetened white grape juice,
thawed
1 tsp Ever-Fresh Fruit Protector (optional) to discourage darkening of
peaches
1 box SureJell For Lower Sugar Recipes fruit pectin powder
1/2 tsp margarine or butter

Wash and thoroughly crush blueberries,m one layer at a tine. . Measure
4 cups into a 6- or 8-quart saucepot. (Do not use a smaller saucepot or
fruit spread will not set.) Stir in juice concentrate.

Stir fruit pectin gradually into fruit mixture in saucepot. Add
margarine. Bring mixture to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring
constantly. Boil exactly 15 minutes, stirring constantly. (It is
important to stir constantly for 20 minutes to get a good set.) Remove
from heat. Skim off any foam with a metal spoon.

Ladle quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops.
Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands
tightly. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Makes about 5 half pint jars,

Comment: I'm not responsible for the outcome of this recipe if you try
it. :-)

Do you love me or what!!? LOL!!
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/20/2006
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Hi Everyone!!
Barb is The BEST Yea!!
I will be making some jam/spread as soon as our harvest season arrives....
Thanks Barb!, Aileen

"> On April 25, Aileen in Canada requested some recipes for jams made with
> concentrated fruit juices. I'd made some once and knew I'd find the
> recipes somewhere. . . . :-)

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article <X0mcg.26368$Fl1.10091@edtnps89>,
"Aileen" > wrote:

> Hi Everyone!!
> Barb is The BEST Yea!!
> I will be making some jam/spread as soon as our harvest season arrives....
> Thanks Barb!, Aileen
>
> "> On April 25, Aileen in Canada requested some recipes for jams made with
> > concentrated fruit juices. I'd made some once and knew I'd find the
> > recipes somewhere. . . . :-)

My pleasure. Did I tell you where to send the check? "-)
Have fun.

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/20/2006
Posted to rec.food.preserving

They sound delish, Barb!

One question, though -- they all seem to ask for sweetened juice
concentrate. I somehow was under the impression that the reason most people
(including the one who asked for recipes) want to make fruit spreads instead
of jam is because they want to avoid sugar and/or corn syrup entirely. Do
you think the spreads could be made with unsweetened juice? The white grape
juice is naturally pretty sweet.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article > ,
"Anny Middon" > wrote:

> They sound delish, Barb!
>
> One question, though -- they all seem to ask for sweetened juice
> concentrate. I somehow was under the impression that the reason most people
> (including the one who asked for recipes) want to make fruit spreads instead
> of jam is because they want to avoid sugar and/or corn syrup entirely. Do
> you think the spreads could be made with unsweetened juice? The white grape
> juice is naturally pretty sweet.
>
> Anny

Now isn't that interesting, Anny! Good point. I checked the original
docs and that IS the way it appears there. I don't know what to say -
maybe Ellen knows something.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/22/2006, Church Review completed

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article > ,
> "Anny Middon" > wrote:
>

>>They sound delish, Barb!
>>
>>One question, though -- they all seem to ask for sweetened juice
>>concentrate. I somehow was under the impression that the reason most people
>>(including the one who asked for recipes) want to make fruit spreads instead
>>of jam is because they want to avoid sugar and/or corn syrup entirely. Do
>>you think the spreads could be made with unsweetened juice? The white grape
>>juice is naturally pretty sweet.
>>
>>Anny

> Now isn't that interesting, Anny! Good point. I checked the original
> docs and that IS the way it appears there. I don't know what to say -
> maybe Ellen knows something.

The Bernardin No Sugar Needed pectin allows you to use from 0 to 3 cups
of sugar per recipe and still get a set. I think that would allow the
use of sweetened fruit juice. I don't, myself, see any point to using
fruit juice to make spreads, I would rather use the fruit and the No '
Sugar Needed pectin, so am probably not the best person to judge this.
Even most unsweetened concentrated juice has plenty of both sucrose and
fructose in it so it doesn't seem very unsugared to me. Of course, even
just using the fruit does give you some sucrose and fructose as well.
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Hi all:

I wanted to clarify why I wanted the jam with juice rather than sugar . I
have been using a French brand called St. Dalfour that is prepped this way
and the diabetic exchange was agreeable to my diet and 1t didn't cause my
blood sugar to soar.
I really only want the jam for a 1t treat on my wholemeal toast in the am or
an occasional snack.
I would love to be able to replicate their pineapple mango combo.
Barb's help will be fabulous when I attempt my very first jam. I must say
though, I am terrified to start ...something about sterilizing and potential
for food poisoning... eek.

Many thanks, Aileen

">>>One question, though -- they all seem to ask for sweetened juice
>>>concentrate. I somehow was under the impression that the reason most
>>>people (including the one who asked for recipes) want to make fruit
>>>spreads instead of jam is because they want to avoid sugar and/or corn
>>>syrup entirely.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Aileen wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I wanted to clarify why I wanted the jam with juice rather than sugar . I
> have been using a French brand called St. Dalfour that is prepped this way
> and the diabetic exchange was agreeable to my diet and 1t didn't cause my
> blood sugar to soar.
> I really only want the jam for a 1t treat on my wholemeal toast in the am or
> an occasional snack.
> I would love to be able to replicate their pineapple mango combo.
> Barb's help will be fabulous when I attempt my very first jam. I must say
> though, I am terrified to start ...something about sterilizing and potential
> for food poisoning... eek.
>
> Many thanks, Aileen
>

> ">>>One question, though -- they all seem to ask for sweetened juice

I wouldn't worry to much about food poisoning, it will most likely be
mold or a bubbly, visible kind of spoilage, it won't be botulism. If
you think the spread is very much like the fruit you are using, then go
for the BWB time of that fruit ( not as a jam or spread). It may be a
little over done, but it will be safe. Just my suggestion.(perhaps
heresy) I usually err on the very conservative side. However, if you
want a recipe, use one of the no sugar needed pectins and follow their
directions for the fruit closest to yours.
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article <2k5dg.20$sK6.12@edtnps90>, "Aileen" >
wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I wanted to clarify why I wanted the jam with juice rather than sugar . I
> have been using a French brand called St. Dalfour that is prepped this way
> and the diabetic exchange was agreeable to my diet and 1t didn't cause my
> blood sugar to soar.
> I really only want the jam for a 1t treat on my wholemeal toast in the am or
> an occasional snack.
> I would love to be able to replicate their pineapple mango combo.
> Barb's help will be fabulous when I attempt my very first jam. I must say
> though, I am terrified to start ...something about sterilizing and potential
> for food poisoning... eek.
>
> Many thanks, Aileen

Here's the good news, Toots: You won't kill anyone with jam. (Home
canned green beans *could* be another story.) Check our FAQ file.

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/22/2006, Church Review completed
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Hi Ellen:
Thanks for this info I will have to check out the water bath timing for the
mango and pineapple.
Hi Barb:
I am greatly relieved to hear that jams are quite safe to make!! I have been
hesitating due to this reason... I am a WIMP!!

Aileen

> Here's the good news, Toots: You won't kill anyone with jam. (Home
> canned green beans *could* be another story.) Check our FAQ file.
>
> --
> -Barb

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article <9Rjdg.296$Kg7.17@edtnps82>, "Aileen" >
wrote:

> Hi Ellen:
> Thanks for this info I will have to check out the water bath timing for the
> mango and pineapple.
> Hi Barb:
> I am greatly relieved to hear that jams are quite safe to make!! I have been
> hesitating due to this reason... I am a WIMP!!
>
> Aileen
>

> > Here's the good news, Toots: You won't kill anyone with jam. (Home
> > canned green beans *could* be another story.) Check our FAQ file.
> >
> > --
> > -Barb

Get yourself a copy of the Ball Blue Book, one way or another. It's a
good basic text to have and has pictures, too.

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/22/2006, Church Review completed
Posted to rec.food.preserving

I will be picking up a copy in the very near future!!
Thanks Barb, Aileen

> Get yourself a copy of the Ball Blue Book, one way or another. It's a
> good basic text to have and has pictures, too.
>
> --
> -Barb
> <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/22/2006, Church Review completed
> "If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Aileen wrote:
> I will be picking up a copy in the very near future!!
> Thanks Barb, Aileen
>

>>Get yourself a copy of the Ball Blue Book, one way or another. It's a
>>good basic text to have and has pictures, too.
>>
>>--
>>-Barb
>><http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/22/2006, Church Review completed
>>"If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

If that .ca in your address means Canada, you can get a Bernardin book
which will also serve you well as a basic text , at most stores that
sell canning supplies
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article <MWtdg.191064$WI1.108588@pd7tw2no>,
ellen wickberg > wrote:

> Aileen wrote:
> > I will be picking up a copy in the very near future!!
> > Thanks Barb, Aileen
> >

> >>Get yourself a copy of the Ball Blue Book, one way or another. It's a
> >>good basic text to have and has pictures, too.
> >>
> >>--
> >>-Barb
> >><http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/22/2006, Church Review completed
> >>"If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

> If that .ca in your address means Canada, you can get a Bernardin book
> which will also serve you well as a basic text , at most stores that
> sell canning supplies
> Ellen

A gold star for you, Ellen!!! LOL! I'd forgotten that she's in
Canadia. "-) Thanks for the correction.

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/22/2006, Church Review completed
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Hi Ellen & Barb:

What is the difference in the books
other than I have never seen the Ball brand here in Canada
I have seen the Bernardin brand. Does one only apply to USA and the other
Canada?
If the Ball book is the better of the two I can order via the internet and
have it shiped to my US cousins.
I would like to have the best info I can get ....short of sending airfare to
the two of you to watch over me while I make my first batch of jams

Aileen in Cloudy, Cool Nova Scotia

>> If that .ca in your address means Canada, you can get a Bernardin book
>> which will also serve you well as a basic text , at most stores that
>> sell canning supplies
>> Ellen

> A gold star for you, Ellen!!! LOL! I'd forgotten that she's in
> Canadia. "-) Thanks for the correction.
>

> --
> -Barb
> <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/22/2006, Church Review completed
> "If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Aileen wrote:
> Hi Ellen & Barb:
>
> What is the difference in the books
> other than I have never seen the Ball brand here in Canada
> I have seen the Bernardin brand. Does one only apply to USA and the other
> Canada?
> If the Ball book is the better of the two I can order via the internet and
> have it shiped to my US cousins.
> I would like to have the best info I can get ....short of sending airfare to
> the two of you to watch over me while I make my first batch of jams
>
> Aileen in Cloudy, Cool Nova Scotia
>
>>>If that .ca in your address means Canada, you can get a Bernardin book
>>>which will also serve you well as a basic text , at most stores that
>>>sell canning supplies
>>>Ellen

>>A gold star for you, Ellen!!! LOL! I'd forgotten that she's in
>>Canadia. "-) Thanks for the correction.
>>

>>--
>>-Barb
>><http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/22/2006, Church Review completed
>>"If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

My biased answer, and I have both thanks to Barb, is that Bernardin is
better, but that could just be because I am used to it. For matters of
safety, in general, I would go to the USDA Home Canning Website.
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Hi Ellen
Thanks again for the quick answer....you guys are wonderful here!
I am gathering my courage to try some jam making!!

Aileen

> My biased answer, and I have both thanks to Barb, is that Bernardin is
> better, but that could just be because I am used to it. For matters of
> safety, in general, I would go to the USDA Home Canning Website.
> Ellen

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Aileen wrote:
> Hi Ellen
> Thanks again for the quick answer....you guys are wonderful here!
> I am gathering my courage to try some jam making!!
>
> Aileen
>

>>My biased answer, and I have both thanks to Barb, is that Bernardin is
>>better, but that could just be because I am used to it. For matters of
>>safety, in general, I would go to the USDA Home Canning Website.
>>Ellen

Jam is a great way to start. Safety isn't much of an issue, you can see
mold if it grows ( and chuck out the jam) and you can tell if the lid is
sealed. Thats all you need to know for safety.
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article <l7Edg.1602$sK6.271@edtnps90>, "Aileen" >
wrote:

> Hi Ellen & Barb:
>
> What is the difference in the books
> other than I have never seen the Ball brand here in Canada
> I have seen the Bernardin brand. Does one only apply to USA and the other
> Canada?
> If the Ball book is the better of the two I can order via the internet and
> have it shiped to my US cousins.
> I would like to have the best info I can get ....short of sending airfare to
> the two of you to watch over me while I make my first batch of jams
>
> Aileen in Cloudy, Cool Nova Scotia

<grin> I've replied by email, too, separately. The Bernardin book is
geared to you fine Canucks. It has metric measurements and mentions
products readily available to our northern friends. I also think their
recipes for some things sound really good. :-) Great tips, too. I
think at one time, Bernardin was separate from Kerr and Ball brands here
(THEY were separate, too) -- but they're all owned by the same
conglomerate now.

Whichever book you get, Aileen, do take the time to read the first
chapter or two that covers the basics. I see that the Bernardin guide
has altitudes for major Canadian cities, too. If you're above 1000 feet
(333 meters? I'm not metric), you will need to adjust processing times.

I'm pleased to see you asking questions here -- there are some very
experienced home food preservers - and we're really nice - the horse's
ass left a few years ago (knock wood). Some of us are more experienced
at certain things than others (I know *about* pressure canning
vegetables and have the gear, but I don't do it and bow to zxcvbob and
George Shirley -- and learn from them. Edrena's been making a boatload
of pickles since she started reading and posting here -- and selling her
stuff at a local market where she lives. Pastorio (the other Bob) is a
pro (but he gets kind of contentious sometimes "-). I've taught some
jam classes and I have some good and some casual connections with food
scientists at the University of Minnesota and at the company that makes
a couple of my jam recipes for commercial distribution (
<www.gedneypickle.com> I'm STILL waiting to get rich from it -- it's a
lousy royalty). Ellen's a gem - her knowledge is based on experience as
well as information. All in all, we're a great bunch and can usually
provide information or point you to it!! And God bless Jack Eddington
for maintaining and hosting our FAQ file -- it's a really good one.

And do check the National Center for Home Food Preservation site at the
U of Georgia: uga.edu/nchfp. Those folks are very approachable and
their website is, IMO, very well done! (They asked us for our opinions
when they were establishing it a few years ago.)

And we ALL had a first time! (I'm self taught, btw, with a Family
Advisory Council available)

--
-Barb Schaller
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/22/2006, Church Review completed
Posted to rec.food.preserving

ellen wickberg wrote:

> Aileen wrote:
> > Hi Ellen
> > Thanks again for the quick answer....you guys are wonderful here!
> > I am gathering my courage to try some jam making!!
> >
> > Aileen
> >

> >>My biased answer, and I have both thanks to Barb, is that Bernardin is
> >>better, but that could just be because I am used to it. For matters of
> >>safety, in general, I would go to the USDA Home Canning Website.
> >>Ellen

> Jam is a great way to start. Safety isn't much of an issue, you can see
> mold if it grows ( and chuck out the jam) and you can tell if the lid is
> sealed. Thats all you need to know for safety.
> Ellen

FWIW - when the folders that come with pectin say *full* rolling boil, it
pays to wait the extra couple minutes for the *full* rolling boil.
Best of luck and let us know how you go on.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article <l7Edg.1602$sK6.271@edtnps90>, "Aileen" >
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Ellen & Barb:
> >
> > What is the difference in the books
> > other than I have never seen the Ball brand here in Canada
> > I have seen the Bernardin brand. Does one only apply to USA and the other
> > Canada?
> > Aileen in Cloudy, Cool Nova Scotia

> <grin> I've replied by email, too, separately. The Bernardin book is...
> And we ALL had a first time! (I'm self taught, btw, with a Family
> Advisory Council available)

With appropriate prayers and lit candles to the diety of your choice and
St. Vinegrette invented by yours truly. And the Mother Superior, Holy Order of the
Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella (HOSSSPoJ). And St. Arnold of Metz, the
Patron Saint of Brewers. That might include fermenters... We got a few of those
around.
Edrena, it's over 100 every day, humidity 8%. But we're cool inside...