A. J. Rawls

Default Sulfite Question

I am having trouble with Campden Tablets and Apple Wines again...
Addition of Campden to clear Apple wines result in an opaque wine that
does not fal lclear easily.

Does anyone have a formula for making a soultion of Potassium
Metabisulfite or Sodium Metabisulfite for addition to 1 U.S. gallon
Carboys; 11.5 liter carboys and 23 liter carboys?

Thanks,
A. J. Rawls
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Tom S

"A. J. Rawls" > wrote in message
> I am having trouble with Campden Tablets and Apple Wines again...
> Addition of Campden to clear Apple wines result in an opaque wine that
> does not fal lclear easily.
>
> Does anyone have a formula for making a soultion of Potassium
> Metabisulfite or Sodium Metabisulfite for addition to 1 U.S. gallon
> Carboys; 11.5 liter carboys and 23 liter carboys?

I make a stock solution of 220grams/liter potassium metabisulfite. 20ml/60
gallon barrel raises the free SO2 by 10 ppm.

You can scale that down for home winemaking, but don't let it sit unused for
more than ~6 months. The stock solution has a limited shelf life, but I use
it quickly enough that it isn't a problem for me. BTW, the dry chemical is
reactive to air, so keep it tightly sealed in a glass jar. Even so, it
should be replaced every couple of years or so.

Tom S

bob

I think you might want to try some pectic enzyme to clear it. That is
usually the problem with fruit wines. The S02 won't clear it it will
just preserve it.

Bob

A. J. Rawls > wrote in message >. ..
> I am having trouble with Campden Tablets and Apple Wines again...
> Addition of Campden to clear Apple wines result in an opaque wine that
> does not fal lclear easily.
>
> Does anyone have a formula for making a soultion of Potassium
> Metabisulfite or Sodium Metabisulfite for addition to 1 U.S. gallon
> Carboys; 11.5 liter carboys and 23 liter carboys?
>
> Thanks,
> A. J. Rawls
> Anchorage, Alaska, USA

A. J. Rawls

Sorry.... That should read "Add Campden" Had the same problem for a
couple of years

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 07:21:15 -0800, A. J. Rawls
> wrote:

>The wine was brilliantly clear... It had been sitting around in a
>carboy for several months... Had the same problems with a few apple
>wines and Campden.... It is irritating to be at bottling stage, ass
>campden and watch your clear wine go opaque... I added pectic enzyme
>when I started the wine last summer.
>

>On 3 Jul 2004 04:57:11 -0700, (bob) wrote:
>
>>I think you might want to try some pectic enzyme to clear it. That is
>>usually the problem with fruit wines. The S02 won't clear it it will
>>just preserve it.
>>

>>Bob
>>
>>A. J. Rawls > wrote in message >. ..
>>> I am having trouble with Campden Tablets and Apple Wines again...
>>> Addition of Campden to clear Apple wines result in an opaque wine that
>>> does not fal lclear easily.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a formula for making a soultion of Potassium
>>> Metabisulfite or Sodium Metabisulfite for addition to 1 U.S. gallon
>>> Carboys; 11.5 liter carboys and 23 liter carboys?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> A. J. Rawls
>>> Anchorage, Alaska, USA

Robin Somes

In message >, A. J. Rawls
> writes
>The wine was brilliantly clear... It had been sitting around in a
>carboy for several months... Had the same problems with a few apple
>wines and Campden.... It is irritating to be at bottling stage, ass
>campden and watch your clear wine go opaque... I added pectic
>enzyme when I started the wine last summer.

I had exactly the same experience with some crab-apple wine from one of
Negodki's (1) recipes last year. All was reasonably clear when I bottled
most of the batch about a month ago; but I decided either I didn't have
enough bottles, or simply couldn't be bothered, to do one particular
demi-john. So I ran it in to another, to get it off the lees, added a
Campden, and watched as it turned the colour of diluted milk (( It's
clearing now, I think, but slowly, very slowly.

cheers,
robin

(1) What's become of him, by the way, anyone?
--
www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk

sulfite allergy Tater Winemaking 1 11-08-2007 05:23 PM
Sulfite [email protected] Winemaking 0 30-04-2007 10:48 PM
How do you sulfite? miker Winemaking 4 30-12-2005 05:40 PM
Too Much Sulfite David J. Winemaking 19 05-05-2005 10:57 PM
Too Much Sulfite David J. Winemaking 0 06-04-2005 03:46 PM