David J.

Default Too Much Sulfite

Got a question, I made some peach and muscadine wine back in late December
early January I believe it was. I added a little bit more sulfite than I
usually do. I head that peach oxidizes easily so I though I would add a
little more sulfite for added protection. Now the wine have a funny flavor.
I had posed about this months ago and got some feed back that it could
potentially be that I have made stopper out of champagne corks because I
couldn't find stoppers the correct size. Shortly after that I was cleaning
a jug with a sulfite solutions and for what ever reason took a whiff out of
the jug and it hit me that that was the same smell as the wine had. So my
question is... I am pretty sure that I put too much sulfite in my wine,
will it ever dissipate? Or will it always have an off flavor? Is there
anything I can do to treat it. I opened a bottle just to taste it, about a
month ago. It still had that funny flavor that it did when I bottled it.

Any help would be appreciated.

David

sulfite allergy Tater Winemaking 1 11-08-2007 05:23 PM
Sulfite [email protected] Winemaking 0 30-04-2007 10:48 PM
How do you sulfite? miker Winemaking 4 30-12-2005 05:40 PM
Too Much Sulfite David J. Winemaking 19 05-05-2005 10:57 PM
Sulfite Question A. J. Rawls Winemaking 5 03-07-2004 06:52 PM