Negodki

Default Concentrated Juice...100% Juice???

"Triplex" > wrote:

> 1). What should you look for on bottled juices or frozen to make sure
> there are no preservatives in it that would prevent yeast from fermenting?
> I've heard to stay away from jucie blends also....

If you are in the US, federal law requires listing any ingredients which
make up more than 4% of the content, as well as ANY preservatives and
certain other chemicals, no matter what the percentage. Most western
countries have similar laws.

If potassium sorbate, ascorbic acid, hydrochloric acid, formaldehyde (don't
laugh --- I've seen it), non-specific "flavour preservatives", or any
chemicals with which you are unfamiliar, are listed, I would avoid the
product. If it says "sulfites added" or "potassium metabisulphite added to
preserve freshness", you can use it, but I would aerate it well (by pouring
back and forth between two containers, or by stirring vigorously) before
pitching yeast. And, of course, you wouldn't want to add more sulfite at
this stage.

I can't think of any reason not to use juice blends, if the blend is
something from which you wish to make wine --- and no objectionable
ingredients are listed.