Old 05-10-2011, 09:03 AM posted to alt.food.wine

Default Edamame

Hello
What to drink with edamame? You know, green soy beans, with a little
salt, slightly warm. We tried a 1998 Chablis which had an ever so
slight sniff of oxidisation - it went very well with the rest of the
meal which was heavily into the Japanese - but not the edamame. Xina
does not like sake (the kinds we get in Sweden are not particularly
interesting). Any ideas?

Old 05-10-2011, 01:11 PM posted to alt.food.wine

we mostly eat as a snack, but I've had out as hors d'oeuvres along with olives, canapes, etc. Which would generally mean they would be served with bubbly. But I can't say that I've especially paid attention to the match. Will fix that soon! Look forward to others' opinions.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:11 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 5, 2:11*pm, DaleW wrote:
we mostly eat as a snack, but I've had out as hors d'oeuvres along with olives, canapes, etc. Which would generally mean they would be served with bubbly. But I can't say that I've especially paid attention to the match. Will fix that soon! Look forward to others' opinions.

We have contemplated sherry - don't do much sherry, though ...
Old 05-10-2011, 02:38 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 10/5/2011 9:11 AM, NilsGLindgren wrote:
On Oct 5, 2:11 pm, wrote:
we mostly eat as a snack, but I've had out as hors d'oeuvres along with olives, canapes, etc. Which would generally mean they would be served with bubbly. But I can't say that I've especially paid attention to the match. Will fix that soon! Look forward to others' opinions.

We have contemplated sherry - don't do much sherry, though ...

A very dry sherry might work but I don't think that any champagne,
except perhaps Natural (drier than sec), might work. Still, I think hard
liquor is best with edamame. A decently dry cold sake is OK and even
beer but most wines are out, IMHO.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Old 05-10-2011, 03:11 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 5, 4:03*am, NilsGLindgren wrote:
Hello
What to drink with edamame? You know, green soy beans, with a little
salt, slightly warm. We tried a 1998 Chablis which had an ever so
slight sniff of oxidisation - it went very well with the rest of the
meal which was heavily into the Japanese - but not the edamame. Xina
does not like sake (the kinds we get in Sweden are not particularly
interesting). Any ideas?

We snack on edamame often and usually I'll open something simple like
a Vinho Verde.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:14 PM posted to alt.food.wine

NilsGLindgren writes:

Hello
What to drink with edamame? You know, green soy beans, with a little
salt, slightly warm. We tried a 1998 Chablis which had an ever so
slight sniff of oxidisation - it went very well with the rest of the
meal which was heavily into the Japanese - but not the edamame. Xina
does not like sake (the kinds we get in Sweden are not particularly
interesting). Any ideas?

Why not a Kabinett? A Chablis may not have enough acidity - I think
one wants a bit with something like beans.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:56 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 10/5/11 4:03 AM, NilsGLindgren wrote:
Hello
What to drink with edamame? You know, green soy beans, with a little
salt, slightly warm. We tried a 1998 Chablis which had an ever so
slight sniff of oxidisation - it went very well with the rest of the
meal which was heavily into the Japanese - but not the edamame. Xina
does not like sake (the kinds we get in Sweden are not particularly
interesting). Any ideas?

I'd think of fino sherry, but also a lighter Federspiel GrŁner Veltliner
from Austria to exploit its green pea character. We eat edamame quite
often because our son loves them and they're one of three green foods
that he'll eat right now (with fresh spinach and pickles), but I confess
to mostly drinking water or chilled sake with them.

Mark Lipton

Old 05-10-2011, 05:08 PM posted to alt.food.wine

"Doug Anderson" skrev i melding
NilsGLindgren writes:

Hello
What to drink with edamame? You know, green soy beans, with a little
salt, slightly warm. We tried a 1998 Chablis which had an ever so
slight sniff of oxidisation - it went very well with the rest of the
meal which was heavily into the Japanese - but not the edamame. Xina
does not like sake (the kinds we get in Sweden are not particularly
interesting). Any ideas?

Why not a Kabinett? A Chablis may not have enough acidity - I think
one wants a bit with something like beans.

Kabinett? Standard sounds a bit sweet to me.

I'd go for a Feinherb or Halbtrocken, be it of Kabinett or Spštlese quality.

Anders (recently back from Mosel :-)

Old 05-10-2011, 07:02 PM posted to alt.food.wine

NilsGLindgren writes:

Hello
What to drink with edamame? You know, green soy beans, with a little
salt, slightly warm. We tried a 1998 Chablis which had an ever so
slight sniff of oxidisation - it went very well with the rest of the
meal which was heavily into the Japanese - but not the edamame. Xina
does not like sake (the kinds we get in Sweden are not particularly
interesting). Any ideas?

Why not a Kabinett? A Chablis may not have enough acidity - I think
one wants a bit with something like beans.

Kabinett? Standard sounds a bit sweet to me.

I'd go for a Feinherb or Halbtrocken, be it of Kabinett or Spštlese
quality.

Yes, probably a Halbtrocken for me.

Anders (recently back from Mosel :-)

Lucky you!
Old 06-10-2011, 06:27 AM posted to alt.food.wine

Let's see -
trocken (or feinherb) Riesling
Federspiel GrŁner Veltliner
Vinho Verde

I detect a pattern.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:28 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 10/6/11 2:03 AM, Mike Tommasi wrote:

Verdicchio di Matelica?

Metallica is making wine now? I hope it's more to my liking than the
stuff made by Maynard James Keenan ;-)

Mark Lipton

Old 06-10-2011, 08:27 PM posted to alt.food.wine

" any champagne, except perhaps Natural (drier than sec), might work."
You mean Brut Nature is drier than Brut I assume? Usually driest to sweetest is Brut Nature, Extra Brut, Brut, Sec (occasionally labeled extra dry like with White Srar), Demi-Sec, and Doux. Though I've not seen the latter in US markets. Occasionally see some demi-secs- actually carried my lone bottle of Pehu Simonet Gourmandise Demi Sec to a party last week (well, it said cake and Champagne), but never got to taste it.

I'm going to give Brut Champagne and edamame a try. Maybe a Kabinett (traditionally styled) as well- not sure why sugar and soy beans would be a problem.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:27 PM posted to alt.food.wine

oh, Mark, now don't be a tool
Old 06-10-2011, 10:06 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 6, 9:42*pm, Mike Tommasi wrote:
On 06/10/2011 21:27, DaleW wrote:

oh, Mark, now don't be *a tool

so Verdicchio di Metallica is a... garage wine...

Oh dear, and this thread was going so well ...
Old 06-10-2011, 10:39 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 10/6/2011 3:27 PM, DaleW wrote:
" any champagne, except perhaps Natural (drier than sec), might work."
You mean Brut Nature is drier than Brut I assume? Usually driest to sweetest is Brut Nature, Extra Brut, Brut, Sec (occasionally labeled extra dry like with White Srar), Demi-Sec, and Doux. Though I've not seen the latter in US markets. Occasionally see some demi-secs- actually carried my lone bottle of Pehu Simonet Gourmandise Demi Sec to a party last week (well, it said cake and Champagne), but never got to taste it.

I'm going to give Brut Champagne and edamame a try. Maybe a Kabinett (traditionally styled) as well- not sure why sugar and soy beans would be a problem.

You are right of course. Natural is drier than *Brut* and actually, I've
only seen it labelled "Natural". However, I'll probably stick to hard
liquor with Edamame; Scotch on the rocks is the way to go.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Edamame James Silverton[_4_] Sushi 8 21-04-2009 07:26 PM
Edamame: shelled or not? Was Edamame: Hot or Cold? sf[_9_] General Cooking 6 17-04-2009 02:19 PM
Edamame: Hot or Cold? Arri London General Cooking 1 16-04-2009 01:21 PM
Edamame: Hot or Cold? Curt Nelson[_3_] General Cooking 1 15-04-2009 08:31 PM
Edamame raymond[_2_] General Cooking 6 09-08-2007 02:12 AM