Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Edamame

Bored. Wanted something different, so I cooked some shelled edamame.
Took 11 spices and made 11 different little piles of edamame and
sprinkled each pile with a different spice.

Cardamom
Sage
Oregano
Chervil
Summer Savory
Tarragon
Coriander
Marjoram
Thyme
Rosemary
Salt

Did a blind tasting with 5 friends. Hands down winner ---- salt. Two
people said sage was ok, but other than that everyone gave thumbs down
to all of them except salt. Edamame has such a distinctive flavor that
it apparently doesn't mix well with other flavors and the most common
complaint was that everything else makes edamame taste like soap. I
have made them before with chili powder and cumin and that also was
less than spectacular. Guess from now on I'll stick with salt. In
fact, I'm having a salad for lunch and I'll toss in the leftover
edamame, lightly salted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"raymond" > wrote in message
> Bored. Wanted something different, so I cooked some shelled edamame.
> Took 11 spices and made 11 different little piles of edamame and
> sprinkled each pile with a different spice.
>
> Cardamom
> Sage
> Oregano
> Chervil
> Summer Savory
> Tarragon
> Coriander
> Marjoram
> Thyme
> Rosemary
> Salt
>
> Did a blind tasting with 5 friends. Hands down winner ---- salt. Two
> people said sage was ok, but other than that everyone gave thumbs down
> to all of them except salt. Edamame has such a distinctive flavor that
> it apparently doesn't mix well with other flavors and the most common
> complaint was that everything else makes edamame taste like soap. I
> have made them before with chili powder and cumin and that also was
> less than spectacular. Guess from now on I'll stick with salt. In
> fact, I'm having a salad for lunch and I'll toss in the leftover
> edamame, lightly salted.

next time I would be tempted to try equal amounts ( a few tablespoons) of
vinegar & soy added to the boiling water.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-08, raymond > wrote:

> Did a blind tasting with 5 friends. Hands down winner ---- salt.

Congrats! You've confirmed what the Japanese have known for probably a
couple thousand years.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 16:43:36 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:06:53 -0400, raymond wrote:
>
>> Did a blind tasting with 5 friends. Hands down winner ---- salt.

>Try making a succotash with them using some nice sweet corn.

Yeah, I saved your pic from a.b.f. What kind of dressing, if any, did
you use? I'm thinking a mild Vinagrette.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Bored. Wanted something different, so I cooked some shelled edamame.
>Took 11 spices and made 11 different little piles of edamame and
>sprinkled each pile with a different spice.
>
>Cardamom
>Sage
>Oregano
>Chervil
>Summer Savory
>Tarragon
>Coriander
>Marjoram
>Thyme
>Rosemary
>Salt
>
>Did a blind tasting with 5 friends. Hands down winner ---- salt. Two
>people said sage was ok, but other than that everyone gave thumbs down
>to all of them except salt. Edamame has such a distinctive flavor that
>it apparently doesn't mix well with other flavors and the most common
>complaint was that everything else makes edamame taste like soap. I
>have made them before with chili powder and cumin and that also was
>less than spectacular. Guess from now on I'll stick with salt. In
>fact, I'm having a salad for lunch and I'll toss in the leftover
>edamame, lightly salted.

Sounds like a fun experiment and a good excuse to have a party.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 8/07

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw

Edamame NilsGLindgren Wine 36 29-05-2012 01:46 AM
Edamame James Silverton[_4_] Sushi 8 21-04-2009 07:26 PM
Edamame: shelled or not? Was Edamame: Hot or Cold? sf[_9_] General Cooking 6 17-04-2009 02:19 PM
Edamame: Hot or Cold? Arri London General Cooking 1 16-04-2009 01:21 PM
Edamame: Hot or Cold? Curt Nelson[_3_] General Cooking 1 15-04-2009 08:31 PM