Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Edamame: Hot or Cold?

Nexis wrote:

> Tonight was my BIL's birthday so we went out for sushi and such, and I
> ordered edamame, which came to the table hot. Quite hot, actually, lol. A
> couple months ago, at a different restaurant, it was slightly warmer than
> room temp. My brother's wife, who is Vietnamese, likes it chilled. So now
> I'm wondering...how you do you like your edamame? Hot? Cold? or somewhere in
> between?
>
> I think I like it best just as it was tonight, hot with a nice flakey salt.
>
> kimberly

The Japanese restaurants in which I've eaten edamame served them warm,
with salt sprinkled on them. That's how we prepare them at home. Cold
beans rarely interest me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri wrote on Wed, 15 Apr 2009 18:52:02 -0600:

> Nexis wrote:
>>
>> Tonight was my BIL's birthday so we went out for sushi and
>> such, and I ordered edamame, which came to the table hot.
>> Quite hot, actually, lol. A couple months ago, at a different
>> restaurant, it was slightly warmer than room temp. My
>> brother's wife, who is Vietnamese, likes it chilled. So
>> now I'm wondering...how you do you like your edamame? Hot?
>> Cold? or somewhere in between?
>>
>> I think I like it best just as it was tonight, hot with a
>> nice flakey salt.
>>
>> kimberly

When edamame are served at many Japanese restaurants they are usually
somewhat warm. Perhaps, that indicates that they have been freshly
prepared. On the other hand, I have bought them at sushi counters, in
decent stores like Fresh Fields, where they are kept in a refrigerator
case like the rest of the sushi. They are quite enjoyable without
reheating

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland