Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: good but slightly disappointing MSR Kab and Chassagne

Wednesday Betsy made a couple of recipes from this week's time,
Shaking Beef along with a bokchoy and mushrooms in oyster sauce side.
I thought about light spicy red as a match for the beef, but she said
she felt like white, so I opened the 2001 Maximim Grunhauser (Von
Schubert) "Herrenberg" Riesling Kabinett. 2001 was the middle of
Grunhauser's supposed slump, but I've had several lovely 2001s and
2002s. This, however, was not one of them. Not a bad wine by any
stretch, but surprisingly soft and verveless for a 2001. Sweet candied
pear fruit, nice length, if it had anywhere near the acidity I'd
expect from the vintage I'd have called it a very good wine. As it is,
pleasant but not more. Revisited Friday night it had held up well, but
still seemed low acid. B/B-

Friday's dinner was steamed lobster (again $3.99/lb at Stews, I think
I've eaten more lobster this year due to price slump than any previous
3 years combined), asparagus, and salad, wines was the 2006 Jadot
Chassagne-Montrachet. I'm generally drinking up 2006s, but should have
waited on this. Big sweet white fruit, just a hint of heat, good
length, mineral tones, but the oak is still a bit unintegrated. Good,
but I'd hope better in a couple years, though I don't think it has the
structure to age long term (premox issues aside). B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> Wednesday Betsy made a couple of recipes from this week's time,
> Shaking Beef along with a bokchoy and mushrooms in oyster sauce side.
> I thought about light spicy red as a match for the beef, but she said
> she felt like white, so I opened the 2001 Maximim Grunhauser (Von
> Schubert) "Herrenberg" Riesling Kabinett. 2001 was the middle of
> Grunhauser's supposed slump, but I've had several lovely 2001s and
> 2002s. This, however, was not one of them. Not a bad wine by any
> stretch, but surprisingly soft and verveless for a 2001. Sweet candied
> pear fruit, nice length, if it had anywhere near the acidity I'd
> expect from the vintage I'd have called it a very good wine. As it is,
> pleasant but not more. Revisited Friday night it had held up well, but
> still seemed low acid. B/B-
>
> Friday's dinner was steamed lobster (again $3.99/lb at Stews, I think
> I've eaten more lobster this year due to price slump than any previous
> 3 years combined), asparagus, and salad, wines was the 2006 Jadot
> Chassagne-Montrachet. I'm generally drinking up 2006s, but should have
> waited on this. Big sweet white fruit, just a hint of heat, good
> length, mineral tones, but the oak is still a bit unintegrated. Good,
> but I'd hope better in a couple years, though I don't think it has the
> structure to age long term (premox issues aside). B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> consistency.**

Thanks for the notes. Hope your dental enamel did not dissolve with all
of this white wine. Isn't this quite early to be drinking 2006 Chassagne?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2009-10-25 09:08:41 -0700, Lawrence Leichtman > said:

> In article
> >,
> DaleW > wrote:
>
>> Wednesday Betsy made a couple of recipes from this week's time,
>> Shaking Beef along with a bokchoy and mushrooms in oyster sauce side.

>> , wines was the 2006 Jadot
>> Chassagne-Montrachet. I'm generally drinking up 2006s, but should have
>>

> Thanks for the notes. Hope your dental enamel did not dissolve with all
> of this white wine. Isn't this quite early to be drinking 2006 Chassagne?

I've been drinking my '06 white burgundies and finding at least a third
are oxidized, at least half of them objectionally so.

What is "Shaking Beef"?

Posted to alt.food.wine

Ronin > wrote in
:

> I've been drinking my '06 white burgundies and finding at least a
> third are oxidized, at least half of them objectionally so.

Wow! One third of oxidized wine is quite a lot for such a recent vintage. I
though PremOx was taking more like 4 to 5 years to show up.

Anyway, about the 2006s drinking window, my experience (limited!) is that
they are drinking well at the village and some Premier Cru level, for they
are very rounded wines from a hotter than average summer. I am more a lover
of 2004 white Burgundy style of wine but it is also nice to have the 2006s
around for when a bolder style is needed.

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 25, 1:24*pm, santiago > wrote:
> Ronin > wrote :
>

> > I've been drinking my '06 white burgundies and finding at least a
> > third are oxidized, at least half of them objectionally so.

> Wow! One third of oxidized wine is quite a lot for such a recent vintage. I
> though PremOx was taking more like 4 to 5 years to show up.
>
> Anyway, about the 2006s drinking window, my experience (limited!) is that
> they are drinking well at the village and some Premier Cru level, for they
> are very rounded wines from a hotter than average summer. I am more a lover
> of 2004 white Burgundy style of wine but it is also nice to have the 2006s
> around for when a bolder style is needed.
>
> s.

I haven't had any 06s that showed oxidation (02 is youngest I've seen
so far, usually about 8 years after vintage is when it shows), but
they are ripe sometimes hot wines I don't expect to age well. My
theory is drink them young.

Shaking Beef is a Vietnamese dish of beef marinated in soy, chiles,
fish sauce or oyster sauce.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2009-10-25 10:24:17 -0700, santiago > said:

> Ronin > wrote in
> :
>>
>> I've been drinking my '06 white burgundies and finding at least a
>> third are oxidized, at least half of them objectionally so.
>>

> Wow! One third of oxidized wine is quite a lot for such a recent vintage. I
> though PremOx was taking more like 4 to 5 years to show up.

Well, you can imagine my delight!