Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: good but slightly disappointing MSR Kab and Chassagne

Wednesday Betsy made a couple of recipes from this week's time,
Shaking Beef along with a bokchoy and mushrooms in oyster sauce side.
I thought about light spicy red as a match for the beef, but she said
she felt like white, so I opened the 2001 Maximim Grunhauser (Von
Schubert) "Herrenberg" Riesling Kabinett. 2001 was the middle of
Grunhauser's supposed slump, but I've had several lovely 2001s and
2002s. This, however, was not one of them. Not a bad wine by any
stretch, but surprisingly soft and verveless for a 2001. Sweet candied
pear fruit, nice length, if it had anywhere near the acidity I'd
expect from the vintage I'd have called it a very good wine. As it is,
pleasant but not more. Revisited Friday night it had held up well, but
still seemed low acid. B/B-

Friday's dinner was steamed lobster (again $3.99/lb at Stews, I think
I've eaten more lobster this year due to price slump than any previous
3 years combined), asparagus, and salad, wines was the 2006 Jadot
Chassagne-Montrachet. I'm generally drinking up 2006s, but should have
waited on this. Big sweet white fruit, just a hint of heat, good
length, mineral tones, but the oak is still a bit unintegrated. Good,
but I'd hope better in a couple years, though I don't think it has the
structure to age long term (premox issues aside). B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**