DaleW

Default TN: good roses and whites, impressive Neyers, disappointing de Sales

With Betsy away, Friday's dinner was some very exciting (ok, maybe not)
hot dogs. Enjoyed on the patio with some of the 2004 Ch. D'Oupia
Minervois Ros=E9. The 2003 was one of the few southern French '03 ros=E9s
that I liked, and this is better. Light-bodied, strawberries over
stones. Clean and clear with good acidity. Nice wine, and a deal at
$10. B+

I also opened a 375 of the 2001 Ch. de Sales (Pomerol). Pleasant round
Merlot black plum fruit, light ripe tannins, moderate vanilla oak, a
Blackstone Merlot of a Pomerol. There's an earthy note to partially
redeem it, but this confirms my idea that de Sales is only a buy in the
riper bigger vintages, when it obtains the Pomerol lushness. B-

Saturday I was tired of eating alone, and invited friends for dinner.
Before heading to a youth seminar where I was speaking, marinated some
flank steak in a combo of red wine and dark soy sauce. When I got back,
marinated some shrimp briefly in a white wine and pepper flake combo,
and tasted the wine, the 2003 Cairnbrae "The Stones" Sauvignon Blanc.
When my first couple '04 NZSBs were disappointing I had bought more of
this screwcapped beauty (though now I hear the '04 Stones is quite
good, so I'm not sweating that this is my last '03). Gooseberry, citrus
and a hint of jalape=F1o, a bit of flint in the finish. Great QPR. B++

My guests brought an opened bottle of 2002 Pieropan Soave Classico
(along with salad, cheese, etc). Nicely sweet-flavored pear and white
nectarine fruit, with that almond note I seem to get in Italian whites
a lot. Light and fresh despite being opened a day (and not being
current release). Good with the shrimp.B+

With the beef, the 1998 Neyers Hudson Vineyards Syrah (Napa Valley). I
had picked this up for I think $15 on a PC closeout, and now wish I had
bought more. Big ripe Syrah with deep dark berry fruit. Some chocolatey
oak and some almost Rhone-ish smoke (though I don't think anyone would
mistake this for anything but California). This isn't a style I
gravitate towards, but pairs beautifully with the soy-tinged steak.
Fine example of CA Syrah. A-

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency