Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: MSR, satellite Bdx, and Prosecco

Last night we went to the home of our friends Jim and Dana, bringing
the dog to play with her friend Courtney. Another couple joined us (a
celebration of Oct birthdays) and Jim prepared a nice dinner of ham,
blackeyed peas, kale, and a cornbread/mizuna salad (I checked my
calendar and location to make sure it wasn't New Years in the South).

They greeted us with the NV Zardetto Prosecco. Light, appley, fresh,
good acidity, slightly coarse mousse. B-

I had carried the 2007 Meulenhof Erdener Treppchen Spatlese. Good with
the ham, tropical fruits and apple, good length, but this is one of
those 2007s where I see the softness to the acids some complain of. B

I also brought the 2005 Ste. Colombe (Cotes de Castillon) as Jim isn't
so much a white wine guy. Plummy, some tannic structure, modern and
easy. Good with the harder cheeses. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> Last night we went to the home of our friends Jim and Dana, bringing
> the dog to play with her friend Courtney. Another couple joined us (a
> celebration of Oct birthdays) and Jim prepared a nice dinner of ham,
> blackeyed peas, kale, and a cornbread/mizuna salad (I checked my
> calendar and location to make sure it wasn't New Years in the South).
>
> They greeted us with the NV Zardetto Prosecco. Light, appley, fresh,
> good acidity, slightly coarse mousse. B-
>
> I had carried the 2007 Meulenhof Erdener Treppchen Spatlese. Good with
> the ham, tropical fruits and apple, good length, but this is one of
> those 2007s where I see the softness to the acids some complain of. B
>
> I also brought the 2005 Ste. Colombe (Cotes de Castillon) as Jim isn't
> so much a white wine guy. Plummy, some tannic structure, modern and
> easy. Good with the harder cheeses. B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> consistency.**

As it is coming to the season, any Proseccos that people like better? I
also rate Zardetto as a B- and am constantly looking for better ones.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 19, 12:05*pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *DaleW > wrote:
> > Last night we went to the home of our friends Jim and Dana, bringing
> > the dog to play with her friend Courtney. Another couple joined us (a
> > celebration of Oct birthdays) and Jim prepared a nice dinner of ham,
> > blackeyed peas, kale, and a cornbread/mizuna salad (I checked my
> > calendar and location to make sure it wasn't New Years in the South).

> > They greeted us with the NV Zardetto Prosecco. Light, appley, fresh,
> > good acidity, slightly coarse mousse. B-

> > I had carried the 2007 Meulenhof Erdener Treppchen Spatlese. Good with
> > the ham, tropical fruits and apple, good length, but this is one of
> > those 2007s where I see the softness to the acids some complain of. B

> > I also brought the 2005 Ste. Colombe (Cotes de Castillon) as Jim isn't
> > so much a white wine guy. Plummy, some tannic structure, modern and
> > easy. Good with the harder cheeses. B

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> > excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> > wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> > offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> > consistency.**

> As it is coming to the season, any Proseccos that people like better? I
> also rate Zardetto as a B- and am constantly looking for better ones.

Bisol is pretty good and widely available. Nino Franco is generally
good. Someone else might know a real stunner, but those are probably
the 2 I'm most likely to buy.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 19, 12:05*pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *DaleW > wrote:
> > Last night we went to the home of our friends Jim and Dana, bringing
> > the dog to play with her friend Courtney. Another couple joined us (a
> > celebration of Oct birthdays) and Jim prepared a nice dinner of ham,
> > blackeyed peas, kale, and a cornbread/mizuna salad (I checked my
> > calendar and location to make sure it wasn't New Years in the South).

> > They greeted us with the NV Zardetto Prosecco. Light, appley, fresh,
> > good acidity, slightly coarse mousse. B-

> > I had carried the 2007 Meulenhof Erdener Treppchen Spatlese. Good with
> > the ham, tropical fruits and apple, good length, but this is one of
> > those 2007s where I see the softness to the acids some complain of. B

> > I also brought the 2005 Ste. Colombe (Cotes de Castillon) as Jim isn't
> > so much a white wine guy. Plummy, some tannic structure, modern and
> > easy. Good with the harder cheeses. B

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> > excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> > wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> > offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> > consistency.**

> As it is coming to the season, any Proseccos that people like better? I
> also rate Zardetto as a B- and am constantly looking for better ones.

PS there's also a Prosecco from Veneto called Astoria that's a good
value, about same price as Zardetto and I think I slightly prefer the
Astoria.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 19, 12:05�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �DaleW > wrote:
> > Last night we went to the home of our friends Jim and Dana, bringing
> > the dog to play with her friend Courtney. Another couple joined us (a
> > celebration of Oct birthdays) and Jim prepared a nice dinner of ham,
> > blackeyed peas, kale, and a cornbread/mizuna salad (I checked my
> > calendar and location to make sure it wasn't New Years in the South).

> > They greeted us with the NV Zardetto Prosecco. Light, appley, fresh,
> > good acidity, slightly coarse mousse. B-

> > I had carried the 2007 Meulenhof Erdener Treppchen Spatlese. Good with
> > the ham, tropical fruits and apple, good length, but this is one of
> > those 2007s where I see the softness to the acids some complain of. B

> > I also brought the 2005 Ste. Colombe (Cotes de Castillon) as Jim isn't
> > so much a white wine guy. Plummy, some tannic structure, modern and
> > easy. Good with the harder cheeses. B

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> > excellent�wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> > wouldn't�drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> > offer no�promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> > consistency.��

> As it is coming to the season, any Proseccos that people like better? I
> also rate Zardetto as a B- and am constantly looking for better ones.- Hide quoted text -

I like Bisol, for me at least it seems a bit drier than Zardetto.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 19, 1:35*pm, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > Last night we went to the home of our friends Jim and Dana, bringing
> > the dog to play with her friend Courtney. Another couple joined us (a
> > celebration of Oct birthdays) and Jim prepared a nice dinner of ham,
> > blackeyed peas, kale, and a cornbread/mizuna salad (I checked my
> > calendar and location to make sure it wasn't New Years in the South).

> > They greeted us with the NV Zardetto Prosecco. Light, appley, fresh,
> > good acidity, slightly coarse mousse. B-

> Not sure if it can be found in the US, I recently bought prosecco from
> Bele Casel, of Luca Ferraro, a young winemaker that manages to put in
> his prosecco the tastes that I remember from the home-made prosecchi
> that my friend in Refrontolo makes. Three different wines are made, all
> super good and priced at around 4-7€, including a "millesimato" (vintage).
>
> --
> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Thanks, Bele Casel is a new one to me. Ranges from $12-17. Of the
stores I shop at, only Woodland Hills and Winex carry. But Moore
Brothers in NY and DE does, I've been meaning to stop by their NY
store. Will give a try. Not 4 euros, but still I'll try one bottle
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> On Oct 19, 1:35*pm, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> > DaleW wrote:
> > > Last night we went to the home of our friends Jim and Dana, bringing
> > > the dog to play with her friend Courtney. Another couple joined us (a
> > > celebration of Oct birthdays) and Jim prepared a nice dinner of ham,
> > > blackeyed peas, kale, and a cornbread/mizuna salad (I checked my
> > > calendar and location to make sure it wasn't New Years in the South).

> > > They greeted us with the NV Zardetto Prosecco. Light, appley, fresh,
> > > good acidity, slightly coarse mousse. B-

> > Not sure if it can be found in the US, I recently bought prosecco from
> > Bele Casel, of Luca Ferraro, a young winemaker that manages to put in
> > his prosecco the tastes that I remember from the home-made prosecchi
> > that my friend in Refrontolo makes. Three different wines are made, all
> > super good and priced at around 4-7¤, including a "millesimato" (vintage).
> >
> > --
> > Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> > email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail

> Thanks, Bele Casel is a new one to me. Ranges from $12-17. Of the
> stores I shop at, only Woodland Hills and Winex carry. But Moore
> Brothers in NY and DE does, I've been meaning to stop by their NY
> store. Will give a try. Not 4 euros, but still I'll try one bottle

Thanks, Sam's Wine and Spirits carry it for $15.99
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> On Oct 19, 12:05*pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >

> > *DaleW > wrote:
> > > Last night we went to the home of our friends Jim and Dana, bringing
> > > the dog to play with her friend Courtney. Another couple joined us (a
> > > celebration of Oct birthdays) and Jim prepared a nice dinner of ham,
> > > blackeyed peas, kale, and a cornbread/mizuna salad (I checked my
> > > calendar and location to make sure it wasn't New Years in the South).

> > > They greeted us with the NV Zardetto Prosecco. Light, appley, fresh,
> > > good acidity, slightly coarse mousse. B-

> > > I had carried the 2007 Meulenhof Erdener Treppchen Spatlese. Good with
> > > the ham, tropical fruits and apple, good length, but this is one of
> > > those 2007s where I see the softness to the acids some complain of. B

> > > I also brought the 2005 Ste. Colombe (Cotes de Castillon) as Jim isn't
> > > so much a white wine guy. Plummy, some tannic structure, modern and
> > > easy. Good with the harder cheeses. B

> > > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> > > excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> > > wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> > > offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> > > consistency.**

> > As it is coming to the season, any Proseccos that people like better? I
> > also rate Zardetto as a B- and am constantly looking for better ones.

> Bisol is pretty good and widely available. Nino Franco is generally
> good. Someone else might know a real stunner, but those are probably
> the 2 I'm most likely to buy.

I was thinking about getting Nino Franco as that was available from my
local dealer. Bisol is also available.

TN: NSG, satellite Bdx, and MSR DaleW Wine 0 12-05-2010 07:25 PM
Prosecco, Barolo Bi!! Wine 2 27-01-2009 01:59 AM
Satellite TV 4 You: Free Satellite TV systems Marina[_2_] General Cooking 0 25-12-2007 07:09 PM
Prosecco Lawrence Leichtman Wine 6 27-10-2006 08:55 PM
Prosecco = 2 fermentations? Leo Bueno Wine 5 25-12-2004 06:30 PM