Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: NSG, satellite Bdx, and MSR

I (excuse me, the dog) gave Betsy John Ash's "From the Earth to the
Table" for Mother's Day, but I used it before she did. For meatless
Mondays I made a potato/brie/arugula/onion pizza, as well as a romaine
salad with a mint dressing. Wine was the 2007 Mugnier “Clos de la
Marechale” Nuits St. Georges, from half bottle. Seemed like it was
just beginning to shut down a bit, but with some air a very nice wine
emerged. Earthy notes, black cherries, a bright note I put down as
citrus rind but Betsy mentioned pomegranite. Medium tannins, good
acidity, the structure to age. Really a pleasant and promising NSG. B+/
A-

The apertif wine over last couple nights was the 2007 von Hovel
Riesling. This estate QbA is a lovely example of a fresh and lively
lighter styled Riesling. Mosel/Saar apples, a hint of slatey
minerality, not very complex but quite likeable. I like this a bit
more than von Hovel's Balduin 07. Holds well for 2 days, we'll see re
third. B

With lamb on a salad, the 1998 Ch. Fontenil (Fronsac). Ripe red plum
fruit with a touch of raspberry, a little cocoa. There's some oak
tannins still perceptible, a bit gritty on the finish. With air the
fruit seems to develop more surmaturite notes. This is ok, but I
enjoyed it more on release. B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**