Leo Bueno

Default Prosecco = 2 fermentations?

I read a note somewhere (can't recall where) that implied that some
Proseccos are made in what sounded like a single fermentation, under
pressure, of course.

Note this would be different from the regular Charmat process which
requires two separate fermentation steps. Will appreciate
clarification (no pun intended).

Michael Pronay

Leo Bueno > wrote:

> I read a note somewhere (can't recall where) that implied that
> some Proseccos are made in what sounded like a single
> fermentation, under pressure, of course.
>
> Note this would be different from the regular Charmat process
> which requires two separate fermentation steps. Will appreciate
> clarification (no pun intended).

No. Sparkling Prosecco - both slightly (frizzante) and fully
(spumante) - is made with by charmat process (second fermentation
in tanks under pressure), never by the traditional method, btw.
There is an Italian sparkler however, that undergoes only one
fermentation (in tanks), and this is stopped when the wine reaches
7%abv: Asti (Spumante).

Note that "prosecco" is the grape variety, not a synonym to
"frizzante", as 99% of the consumers in Germany and Austria would
believe.

M.
Michael Pronay

Leo Bueno > wrote:

> I read a note somewhere (can't recall where) that implied that
> some Proseccos are made in what sounded like a single
> fermentation, under pressure, of course.
>
> Note this would be different from the regular Charmat process
> which requires two separate fermentation steps. Will appreciate
> clarification (no pun intended).

No. Sparkling Prosecco - both slightly (frizzante) and fully
(spumante) - is made with by charmat process (second fermentation
in tanks under pressure), never by the traditional method, btw.
There is an Italian sparkler however, that undergoes only one
fermentation (in tanks), and this is stopped when the wine reaches
7%abv: Asti (Spumante).

Note that "prosecco" is the grape variety, not a synonym to
"frizzante", as 99% of the consumers in Germany and Austria would
believe.

M.
Leo Bueno

Oops, yes, I confused the two. It was Asti Spumante that the note
indicated is the product of only one pressurized fermentation.

By the way, what technique do they use to stop the Asti Spumante
fermentation, filtration of the yeast?

On 25 Dec 2004 11:18:53 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>Leo Bueno > wrote:
>
>> I read a note somewhere (can't recall where) that implied that
>> some Proseccos are made in what sounded like a single
>> fermentation, under pressure, of course.
>>
>> Note this would be different from the regular Charmat process
>> which requires two separate fermentation steps. Will appreciate
>> clarification (no pun intended).

>No. Sparkling Prosecco - both slightly (frizzante) and fully
>(spumante) - is made with by charmat process (second fermentation
>in tanks under pressure), never by the traditional method, btw.
>There is an Italian sparkler however, that undergoes only one
>fermentation (in tanks), and this is stopped when the wine reaches
>7%abv: Asti (Spumante).
>
>Note that "prosecco" is the grape variety, not a synonym to
>"frizzante", as 99% of the consumers in Germany and Austria would
>believe.
>
>M.

Leo Bueno

Oops, yes, I confused the two. It was Asti Spumante that the note
indicated is the product of only one pressurized fermentation.

By the way, what technique do they use to stop the Asti Spumante
fermentation, filtration of the yeast?

On 25 Dec 2004 11:18:53 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>Leo Bueno > wrote:
>
>> I read a note somewhere (can't recall where) that implied that
>> some Proseccos are made in what sounded like a single
>> fermentation, under pressure, of course.
>>
>> Note this would be different from the regular Charmat process
>> which requires two separate fermentation steps. Will appreciate
>> clarification (no pun intended).

>No. Sparkling Prosecco - both slightly (frizzante) and fully
>(spumante) - is made with by charmat process (second fermentation
>in tanks under pressure), never by the traditional method, btw.
>There is an Italian sparkler however, that undergoes only one
>fermentation (in tanks), and this is stopped when the wine reaches
>7%abv: Asti (Spumante).
>
>Note that "prosecco" is the grape variety, not a synonym to
>"frizzante", as 99% of the consumers in Germany and Austria would
>believe.
>
>M.

Tom S

"Leo Bueno" > wrote in message

> Oops, yes, I confused the two. It was Asti Spumante that the note
> indicated is the product of only one pressurized fermentation.
>
> By the way, what technique do they use to stop the Asti Spumante
> fermentation, filtration of the yeast?

The normal method of arresting a fermentation midway is to chill the tank so
that the yeast goes dormant, allow it all to settle to the bottom, then
sterile filter the clear liquid. In the case of a sparkling wine this all
has to be done under CO2 pressure so the fizz is not lost from the wine.

Tom S