Posted to alt.food.wine

Default seek sweet white wine in San Jose South Bay area

I am seeking sweet white wine, low cost, in San Jose South Bay area.
Can you tell me what is good to buy and where?

I went to Costco, but, do not know what to buy?
Can you recommend a low cost white sweet wine for me to try?

Thank you.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 7, 1:14 am, "news.la.sbcglobal.net" > wrote:
> I am seeking sweet white wine, low cost, in San Jose South Bay area.
> Can you tell me what is good to buy and where?
>
> I went to Costco, but, do not know what to buy?
> Can you recommend a low cost white sweet wine for me to try?
>
> Thank you.

No.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"news.la.sbcglobal.net" > writes:

> I am seeking sweet white wine, low cost, in San Jose South Bay area.
> Can you tell me what is good to buy and where?
>
> I went to Costco, but, do not know what to buy?
> Can you recommend a low cost white sweet wine for me to try?

I don't know what Costco has, or what is your idea of low cost.

One of my favorite sweet wines, which is widely available, and cheap
(in my opinion) for what you get is Lustau's Muscatel Emilin sherry,
which is in the low $20s for a 750 ml bottle. Of course some might
quibble that this isn't exactly "white." But it isn't red either!

In my area, I can find this at my local wine store, and also at "Cost
Plus World Market" which is a chain.

In general, your best bet is to go to your local wine store, ask if
there is someone knowledgeable about dessert wines who will talk to
you, tell them as much as you can about what you want to spend, what
food you might be eating the wine with, and ask for recommendations.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mondavi does a Fume Blanc that is sweet, crisp and the last time it was
pretty good and not expensive.

They have at my Costco sometimes. Hope that helps.
"news.la.sbcglobal.net" > wrote in message
t...
>I am seeking sweet white wine, low cost, in San Jose South Bay area.
> Can you tell me what is good to buy and where?
>
> I went to Costco, but, do not know what to buy?
> Can you recommend a low cost white sweet wine for me to try?
>
> Thank you.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 6, 10:14 pm, "news.la.sbcglobal.net" >
wrote:
> I am seeking sweet white wine, low cost, in San Jose South Bay area.
> Can you tell me what is good to buy and where?
>
> I went to Costco, but, do not know what to buy?
> Can you recommend a low cost white sweet wine for me to try?
>
> Thank you.

We sell 5 white dessert wines for under $20, including a Gruner
Veltliner Ice WIne for $18.99 and a Beerenauslese cuvee for $14.99.
I'd wager they are some of the best QPR dessert wines you'll find.
For shipping to San Jose, generally speaking if your order comes in
before noon, you'll get it the next day even with ground service. So
there you have it. Another shameless plug from your resident (tho
lately rather absent) Austrian wine importer. www.winemonger.com

cheers to all,
e.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 7, 2:29?pm, "Richard Neidich" > wrote:
> Mondavi does a Fume Blanc that is sweet, crisp and the last time it was
> pretty good and not expensive.
>
> They have at my Costco sometimes. Hope that helps."news.la.sbcglobal.net" > wrote in message
>
> t...
>

> >I am seeking sweet white wine, low cost, in San Jose South Bay area.
> > Can you tell me what is good to buy and where?

> > I went to Costco, but, do not know what to buy?
> > Can you recommend a low cost white sweet wine for me to try?

> > Thank you.- Hide quoted text -

Dick,
The last bottle of Mondavi Fume Blanc that I had was the 2005
vintage and I wouldn't call it sweet. Perhaps slightly "off dry" but
far from sweet. I checked Mondavi's website and they show the
residual sugar at .79% as compared to 10.7% residual sugar in their
Muscato D'Oro which is quite sweet.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 7, 1:14 am, "news.la.sbcglobal.net" > wrote:
> I am seeking sweet white wine, low cost, in San Jose South Bay area.
> Can you tell me what is good to buy and where?
>
> I went to Costco, but, do not know what to buy?
> Can you recommend a low cost white sweet wine for me to try?
>
> Thank you.

No. Learn to appreciate dry wine and get back to us when you grow up.

Posted to alt.food.wine

I stand corrected then.

How about Caymus Conundrum at about $22 a bottle at my Costco?

"Bi!!" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Sep 7, 2:29?pm, "Richard Neidich" > wrote:
>> Mondavi does a Fume Blanc that is sweet, crisp and the last time it was
>> pretty good and not expensive.
>>
>> They have at my Costco sometimes. Hope that
>> helps."news.la.sbcglobal.net" > wrote in message
>>
>> t...
>>

>> >I am seeking sweet white wine, low cost, in San Jose South Bay area.
>> > Can you tell me what is good to buy and where?

>> > I went to Costco, but, do not know what to buy?
>> > Can you recommend a low cost white sweet wine for me to try?

>> > Thank you.- Hide quoted text -

> Dick,
> The last bottle of Mondavi Fume Blanc that I had was the 2005
> vintage and I wouldn't call it sweet. Perhaps slightly "off dry" but
> far from sweet. I checked Mondavi's website and they show the
> residual sugar at .79% as compared to 10.7% residual sugar in their
> Muscato D'Oro which is quite sweet.

Posted to alt.food.wine

The only sweet whites I drink are Sauternes and Maculon Torcolato (spelling)
its an italian white.

I have some Yquem but other high rated far less expensive dessert wines.
"Bi!!" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Sep 7, 2:29?pm, "Richard Neidich" > wrote:
>> Mondavi does a Fume Blanc that is sweet, crisp and the last time it was
>> pretty good and not expensive.
>>
>> They have at my Costco sometimes. Hope that
>> helps."news.la.sbcglobal.net" > wrote in message
>>
>> t...
>>

>> >I am seeking sweet white wine, low cost, in San Jose South Bay area.
>> > Can you tell me what is good to buy and where?

>> > I went to Costco, but, do not know what to buy?
>> > Can you recommend a low cost white sweet wine for me to try?

>> > Thank you.- Hide quoted text -

> Dick,
> The last bottle of Mondavi Fume Blanc that I had was the 2005
> vintage and I wouldn't call it sweet. Perhaps slightly "off dry" but
> far from sweet. I checked Mondavi's website and they show the
> residual sugar at .79% as compared to 10.7% residual sugar in their
> Muscato D'Oro which is quite sweet.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 7, 1:14 am, "news.la.sbcglobal.net" > wrote:
> I am seeking sweet white wine, low cost, in San Jose South Bay area.
> Can you tell me what is good to buy and where?
>
> I went to Costco, but, do not know what to buy?
> Can you recommend a low cost white sweet wine for me to try?
>
> Thank you.

Look in the German wine section and buy one that says Kabinett or
Spatlese on the label. There should be many that are under $20. 2005
is a good year to look for.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Richard Neidich" > wrote:

> The only sweet whites I drink are Sauternes

Well done - I frequently read "Sauterne".

> and Maculon

Maculan

> Torcolato (spelling) its

it's

> an italian white.

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2007-09-07 14:38:22 -0700, Tire Bouchon > said:

> On Sep 7, 1:14 am, "news.la.sbcglobal.net" > wrote:
>> I am seeking sweet white wine, low cost, in San Jose South Bay area.
>> Can you tell me what is good to buy and where?
>>
>> I went to Costco, but, do not know what to buy?
>> Can you recommend a low cost white sweet wine for me to try?
>>
>> Thank you.

> Look in the German wine section and buy one that says Kabinett or
> Spatlese on the label. There should be many that are under $20. 2005
> is a good year to look for.

Or -
head for "the other side of the tracks" and score some Gallo Tokay...