Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Consumer Reports Tests Wines Again

The Dec. 2006 issue of Consumer Reports give results for their latest
wine tests. Wines considered were in the under US $30 range. Wines had
to have good national distribution to be considered. Multipile bottles
of each wine were bought at different locations around the country.
Also 2 professional tasters were used in addition to the CR staff.
Tasting was strictly blind. They grouped ratings as excellent, very
good, and good. The top and best buy for Cabernet Sauvignon was a 2002
Columbia Crest Grand Estates Columbia Valley 2002 at $11 and rated very
good. However several other wines had nearly the same rating but were
considerably more expensive - up to $28. The top rated Chardonnay was
Edna Valley Paragon San Luis Obispo County 2004 at $14 and rated
excellent. There were other Chardonnays rated nearly as well.

They also tested 4 preservation devices ranging from $10 to $100, and
ran several test by storing the treated wines and wines just recorked
in the refrigerator. They found the recorked did just as well for a
week or so as the treated wines. One should keep in mind that they were
testing quite young wines. The story might have been quite different if
they had tested a very old and delicate wine.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks for report. I've generally found the Columbia Crest GE wines to
be very well-made, if not always exciting. Don't think I've had the
Edna chard, though it was recommended here(Midlife,Hunt, Dana? someone
west of me).

Did the methods of preservation include smaller bottles?

cwdjrxyz wrote:
> The Dec. 2006 issue of Consumer Reports give results for their latest
> wine tests. Wines considered were in the under US $30 range. Wines had
> to have good national distribution to be considered. Multipile bottles
> of each wine were bought at different locations around the country.
> Also 2 professional tasters were used in addition to the CR staff.
> Tasting was strictly blind. They grouped ratings as excellent, very
> good, and good. The top and best buy for Cabernet Sauvignon was a 2002
> Columbia Crest Grand Estates Columbia Valley 2002 at $11 and rated very
> good. However several other wines had nearly the same rating but were
> considerably more expensive - up to $28. The top rated Chardonnay was
> Edna Valley Paragon San Luis Obispo County 2004 at $14 and rated
> excellent. There were other Chardonnays rated nearly as well.
>
> They also tested 4 preservation devices ranging from $10 to $100, and
> ran several test by storing the treated wines and wines just recorked
> in the refrigerator. They found the recorked did just as well for a
> week or so as the treated wines. One should keep in mind that they were
> testing quite young wines. The story might have been quite different if
> they had tested a very old and delicate wine.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Thanks for report. I've generally found the Columbia Crest GE wines to
> be very well-made, if not always exciting. Don't think I've had the
> Edna chard, though it was recommended here(Midlife,Hunt, Dana? someone
> west of me).

I don't think I reported on Edna Valley Paragon, but I have picked it
up from Costco ($10ish) and liked it, though I have to say the Chateau St. Michelle
Indian Wells Chard that I often find at my local Costco is better for just
a few dollars more ($13ish).

Dana
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Thanks for report. I've generally found the Columbia Crest GE wines to
> be very well-made, if not always exciting. Don't think I've had the
> Edna chard, though it was recommended here(Midlife,Hunt, Dana? someone
> west of me).
>
> Did the methods of preservation include smaller bottles?

I did not notice mention of decanting into smaller bottles for
storage. They did mention the trend toward 1/4 size 187 ml bottles for
those who just want a bit of wine. They mentioned that the Stone
Cellars Chardonnay by Beringer they tested and rated very good was also
available in 187 ml bottles. And they mentioned that more better wines
are now offered in boxes.

The 4 preservation gadgets tested were the Wine Enthusiast Private
Preserve(nitrogen can), Vacu-Vin Vacuum Wine Saver,
WineKeeper(nitrogen), and Pek Wine Steward(argon). The first 2 gadgets
cost about US $10, and the last two cost about $100 each. I would like
to see this test repeated with a 1953 Ch. Margaux, a 1945 CH Latour or
Mouton-Rothschild, a 1959 Yquem etc. They likely would have to used an
armed security guard to keep someone from drinking these before they
have a chance for a week of storage :-) .

Posted to alt.food.wine

cwdjrxyz wrote:

>... 1953 Ch. Margaux, a 1945 CH Latour or
> Mouton-Rothschild, a 1959 Yquem etc. ... :-) .

Would you really want to see these wines left open for a week for this
or any other purpose?

.... :-)

Andy

Posted to alt.food.wine

IF they did such a study, it might test their security- I'm a few miles
from CU headquarters!

cwdjrxyz wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > Thanks for report. I've generally found the Columbia Crest GE wines to
> > be very well-made, if not always exciting. Don't think I've had the
> > Edna chard, though it was recommended here(Midlife,Hunt, Dana? someone
> > west of me).
> >
> > Did the methods of preservation include smaller bottles?

> I did not notice mention of decanting into smaller bottles for
> storage. They did mention the trend toward 1/4 size 187 ml bottles for
> those who just want a bit of wine. They mentioned that the Stone
> Cellars Chardonnay by Beringer they tested and rated very good was also
> available in 187 ml bottles. And they mentioned that more better wines
> are now offered in boxes.
>
> The 4 preservation gadgets tested were the Wine Enthusiast Private
> Preserve(nitrogen can), Vacu-Vin Vacuum Wine Saver,
> WineKeeper(nitrogen), and Pek Wine Steward(argon). The first 2 gadgets
> cost about US $10, and the last two cost about $100 each. I would like
> to see this test repeated with a 1953 Ch. Margaux, a 1945 CH Latour or
> Mouton-Rothschild, a 1959 Yquem etc. They likely would have to used an
> armed security guard to keep someone from drinking these before they
> have a chance for a week of storage :-) .

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article .com>, spamtrap2
@cwdjr.info says...

[SNIP]

>The 4 preservation gadgets tested were the Wine Enthusiast Private
>Preserve(nitrogen can), Vacu-Vin Vacuum Wine Saver,
>WineKeeper(nitrogen), and Pek Wine Steward(argon). The first 2 gadgets
>cost about US $10, and the last two cost about $100 each. I would like
>to see this test repeated with a 1953 Ch. Margaux, a 1945 CH Latour or
>Mouton-Rothschild, a 1959 Yquem etc. They likely would have to used an
>armed security guard to keep someone from drinking these before they
>have a chance for a week of storage :-)

I'm with you on this one. If they will supply those wines, I'll volunteer.
However, I usually open similar (not had any of those mentioned, but would
love to come to your house for dinner... ) for dinners, but alas, there is
NEVER any to try my Vac-u-vin out on, glutton that I am <G>.

Hunt