Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default Consumer Reports Tests Wines Again

DaleW wrote:
> Thanks for report. I've generally found the Columbia Crest GE wines to
> be very well-made, if not always exciting. Don't think I've had the
> Edna chard, though it was recommended here(Midlife,Hunt, Dana? someone
> west of me).
>
> Did the methods of preservation include smaller bottles?

I did not notice mention of decanting into smaller bottles for
storage. They did mention the trend toward 1/4 size 187 ml bottles for
those who just want a bit of wine. They mentioned that the Stone
Cellars Chardonnay by Beringer they tested and rated very good was also
available in 187 ml bottles. And they mentioned that more better wines
are now offered in boxes.

The 4 preservation gadgets tested were the Wine Enthusiast Private
Preserve(nitrogen can), Vacu-Vin Vacuum Wine Saver,
WineKeeper(nitrogen), and Pek Wine Steward(argon). The first 2 gadgets
cost about US $10, and the last two cost about $100 each. I would like
to see this test repeated with a 1953 Ch. Margaux, a 1945 CH Latour or
Mouton-Rothschild, a 1959 Yquem etc. They likely would have to used an
armed security guard to keep someone from drinking these before they
have a chance for a week of storage :-) .