Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Almond milk

While we're on the subject of making non-dairy milks, has anyone got
any hints on making almond milk? I have a large quantity of ground
almonds, and would like to try and make nut milk with some of them.

From what I've seen on the interweb, the process seems to be roughly:
soak 1 cup ground almonds in 2-4 cups boiling water for 10 minutes,
then strain and add a small pinch of salt and a little sugar or
something else sweet.

2-4 cups of water is quite a range. I think I'll try 2 to start off
with since I can always thin the milk out afterwards. Would it be a
good idea to give the milk a bit of a whizz with my hand blender
before I strain it, or is it unlikely to make any difference? And
given that I have neither muslin nor a very fine sieve, what would be
a good way to do the straining? ("Go and get some decent equipment or
you'll never manage it" is a perfectly acceptable answer to the last.)

Kake