Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Natarajan Krishnaswami Natarajan Krishnaswami is offline

Default Almond milk

On 2007-01-16, Serene > wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:41:39 GMT, Kake L Pugh > wrote:
>>While we're on the subject of making non-dairy milks, has anyone got
>>any hints on making almond milk? I have a large quantity of ground
>>almonds, and would like to try and make nut milk with some of them.

> Oh, that's way too much work. To make almond milk, I simply blend 1
> cup of almonds with 4 cups of water in the blender, strain it (or not
> -- I usually just let it settle) and it's good to go.

This -- the not straining -- reminds me of an Indian
not-at-all-non-dairy dessert/drink/snack, badam kheer.

100g almonds, raw
1 cup sugar (to taste -- this is far more than I like)
2-3 cups milk
7-8 cardamom pods
7-8 threads saffron
a little ghee or hot water
1/4 tsp almond extract, opt

Soak the almonds in warm water for an hour, then peel them.
Grind them to a smooth paste, adding water as necessary.
Melt some ghee, add the saffron threads, and set aside to steep.
Mix in the milk, and simmer till the raw almond smell decreases.
Add a little almond extract, if desired (I like this).
Mix in the saffron-infused ghee.

This is good hot or cold; mix before serving, if desired. The saffron
flavor will intensify significantly overnight, if you make enough to
keep.

(I expect almond or soy milks would make a fine substitute for dairy
here.)

N.