Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

Default "Speciesism" - nothing wrong with it

On 4/15/2012 6:32 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2:13 am, George > wrote:

>>> The burden of proof is on someone who says that the interests of a
>>> particular class of organisms deserve special consideration.

>> The burden of proof is on you limp challengers.

> Well, it just degenerates into an exchange of contrary assertions
> about who has the burden of proof

You have claimed not only that the burden of proof in terms of
justifying "speciesism" is on those who rely on it, but also that it is
the consensus of ethicists that equal consideration is due
suffering-capable entities regardless of species. You keep piling up
the burdens of proof that you then shirk.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On 4/15/2012 6:34 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2:13 am, George > wrote:

>>> No, it doesn't.

>> It does.

> When I wrote "That does not follow from the principle of equal
> consideration of interests",

I don't care about that. I reject that principle, and I don't believe
you that "equal consideration" across species is the default position of
ethics. You're bullshitting.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On 4/15/2012 6:35 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2:13 am, George > wrote:

>>> I am giving the same consideration to animals' interests that I give
>>> to humans',

>> You aren't.

> Why do you think that?

You've told us.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 16, 4:58*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 4/15/2012 6:32 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> The burden of proof is on you limp challengers.

> > Well, it just degenerates into an exchange of contrary assertions
> > about who has the burden of proof

> You have claimed not only that the burden of proof in terms of
> justifying "speciesism" is on those who rely on it,

Yes, I have claimed that, and I have also claimed that most ethicists
agree on this point, and my friend who is a PhD student in metaethics
agrees with me.

> You keep piling up
> the burdens of proof that you then shirk.

What do you want me to try to prove?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 16, 4:59*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 4/15/2012 6:34 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> It does.

> > When I wrote "That does not follow from the principle of equal
> > consideration of interests",

> I don't care about that.

You ought to care about what you are saying, otherwise people will get
the idea that you are a fool who babbles nonsense without rhyme or
reason.

> I reject that principle, and I don't believe
> you that "equal consideration" across species is the default position of
> ethics. *You're bullshitting.

Yes, I am certainly aware that you reject the principle.

You probably believe in some sort of equal consideration for humans
though, don't you? Would you be able to tell us more about that?

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 16, 4:59*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 4/15/2012 6:35 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> You aren't.

> > Why do you think that?

> You've told us.

When did I tell you that?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On 4/15/2012 8:19 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 16, 4:58 am, George > wrote:

>>> Well, it just degenerates into an exchange of contrary assertions
>>> about who has the burden of proof

>> You have claimed not only that the burden of proof in terms of
>> justifying "speciesism" is on those who rely on it,

> Yes, I have claimed that, and I have also claimed that most ethicists
> agree on this point,

You're full of shit on that point.

>> You keep piling up
>> the burdens of proof that you then shirk.

> What do you want me to try to prove?

All of it.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 16, 2:12*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 4/12/2012 3:06 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> /ex ante/, all humans do have that potential.

> > Why?

> **** off, time-waster.

You think it's a waste of time to try to defend your position?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 16, 5:37*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 4/15/2012 8:19 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> You have claimed not only that the burden of proof in terms of
> >> justifying "speciesism" is on those who rely on it,

> > Yes, I have claimed that, and I have also claimed that most ethicists
> > agree on this point,

> You're full of shit on that point.

Well, my friend who is doing a PhD in metaethics doesn't think so, and
it might be fair to say that he would be in a better position to know
than you.

> >> You keep piling up
> >> the burdens of proof that you then shirk.

> > What do you want me to try to prove?

> All of it.

All of what?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On 4/15/2012 8:22 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 16, 4:59 am, George > wrote:

>>> Why do you think that?

>> You've told us.

> When did I tell you that?

Several times over the last couple of years.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On 4/15/2012 8:43 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2:12 am, George > wrote:

>>> Why?

>> **** off, time-waster.
>>

> You think it's a waste of time to try to defend your position?

The attempted time wasting is when you bitchily demand that I explain
what I've already explained many times.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On 4/15/2012 8:44 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 16, 5:37 am, George > wrote:

>>> Yes, I have claimed that, and I have also claimed that most ethicists
>>> agree on this point,

>> You're full of shit on that point.
>>

> Well, my friend who is doing a PhD in metaethics doesn't think so,

Your "ara" radical pal is a lying partisan.

>>> What do you want me to try to prove?

>> All of it.

> All of what?

All of your claims.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 16, 6:36*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 4/15/2012 8:22 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> You've told us.

> > When did I tell you that?

> Several times over the last couple of years.

Can you show me one occasion on which I did so?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 16, 6:36*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 4/15/2012 8:43 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> **** off, time-waster.

> > You think it's a waste of time to try to defend your position?

> The attempted time wasting is when you bitchily demand that I explain
> what I've already explained many times.

I didn't.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 16, 6:37*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 4/15/2012 8:44 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> You're full of shit on that point.

> > Well, my friend who is doing a PhD in metaethics doesn't think so,

> Your "ara" radical pal is a lying partisan.

I'm not talking about John Hadley. It's another guy, and he's not an
ARA.

> >> All of it.

> > All of what?

> All of your claims.

Can you name a claim I've made that I haven't proved?

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On 4/15/2012 11:15 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 16, 6:36 am, George > wrote:

>>> When did I tell you that?

>> Several times over the last couple of years.

> Can you show me one occasion on which I did so?

I could, but I won't - you're just trying to waste my time. Perhaps
Derek will help you find one.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On 4/15/2012 11:16 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 16, 6:36 am, George > wrote:

>>> You think it's a waste of time to try to defend your position?

>> The attempted time wasting is when you bitchily demand that I explain
>> what I've already explained many times.

> I didn't.

You did. You attempt to waste my time in this manner quite often, actually.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On 4/15/2012 11:17 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 16, 6:37 am, George > wrote:

>>> Well, my friend who is doing a PhD in metaethics doesn't think so,

>> Your "ara" radical pal is a lying partisan.
>>

> I'm not talking about John Hadley. It's another guy, and he's not an
> ARA.

He's still a radical lying partisan. You're trying to appeal to
authority, when the credentials of the so-called authority are not
established.

>>> All of what?

>> All of your claims.

> Can you name a claim I've made that I haven't proved?

Yes: that equal consideration is due animals' interests.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 16, 8:46*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 4/15/2012 11:17 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> Your "ara" radical pal is a lying partisan.

> > I'm not talking about John Hadley. It's another guy, and he's not an
> > ARA.

> He's still a radical lying partisan. *You're trying to appeal to
> authority, when the credentials of the so-called authority are not
> established.

> >> All of your claims.

> > Can you name a claim I've made that I haven't proved?

> Yes: *that equal consideration is due animals' interests.

Would you care to prove their not, Goo?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 16, 4:45*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 4/15/2012 11:16 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> The attempted time wasting is when you bitchily demand that I explain
> >> what I've already explained many times.

> > I didn't.

> You did. *You attempt to waste my time in this manner quite often, actually.

I didn't. You have not explained many times or even once why /ex
ante/, all humans have the potential to be moral agents. One wonders
what the point of making the claim is if you have no interest in
defending it.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 16, 4:46*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 4/15/2012 11:17 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> Your "ara" radical pal is a lying partisan.

> > I'm not talking about John Hadley. It's another guy, and he's not an
> > ARA.

> He's still a radical lying partisan. *You're trying to appeal to
> authority, when the credentials of the so-called authority are not
> established.

He is someone who is doing a PhD in metaethics, and he is not an ARA.
It is reasonable to suppose that he would be better-informed about the
matter than you.

> >> All of your claims.

> > Can you name a claim I've made that I haven't proved?

> Yes: *that equal consideration is due animals' interests.

Okay. So you believe all human interests are entitled to equal
consideration, yes? Or no?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 16, 4:45*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 4/15/2012 11:15 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> Several times over the last couple of years.

> > Can you show me one occasion on which I did so?

> I could, but I won't - you're just trying to waste my time. *Perhaps
> Derek will help you find one.

I have never told you any such thing. You can't produce any citations
to support your claim because they don't exist.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On 4/16/2012 11:11 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 16, 4:45 pm, George > wrote:

>>> I didn't.

>> You did. You attempt to waste my time in this manner quite often, actually.

> I didn't.

You did. It's just one more in a string of attempts at wasting my time.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On 4/16/2012 11:13 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 16, 4:46 pm, George > wrote:

>>> I'm not talking about John Hadley. It's another guy, and he's not an
>>> ARA.

>> He's still a radical lying partisan. You're trying to appeal to
>> authority, when the credentials of the so-called authority are not
>> established.
>>

> He is someone who is doing a PhD in metaethics, and he is not an ARA.

That's nice. I still don't see that he would be qualified to say that
the "default position" of ethics is that equal consideration ought to be
given to entities' interests irrespective of species. That's a
*normative* ethical prescription.

It also is a highly controversial one, disputed by many people in the
field of ethics and elsewhere.

> It is reasonable to suppose that he would be better-informed about the
> matter than you.

Meta-ethics is not normative ethics.

>>> Can you name a claim I've made that I haven't proved?

>> Yes: that equal consideration is due animals' interests.

> Okay. So you believe all human interests are entitled to equal
> consideration, yes? Or no?

No - and neither do you.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On 4/16/2012 11:14 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 16, 4:45 pm, George > wrote:

>>> Can you show me one occasion on which I did so?

>> I could, but I won't - you're just trying to waste my time. Perhaps
>> Derek will help you find one.

> I have never told you any such thing.

You certainly have.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:39:22 -0400, dh@. wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 00:37:10 -0700 (PDT), Rupert >
>wrote:

>>> * * That's for sure. If humans were not speciesist we could no longer survive
>>> since rodents, bugs and germs would eventually wipe us out. Early humans also
>>> would not have been able to defend themselves from predators if they didn't care
>>> more for themselves than they do for the predators.
>>> . . .

>>> * * Someone who honestly felt that way would be insane and a danger to society.
>>> They would feel no worse about hitting a child with their car than they would a
>>> snake, which would truly be insane from my pov.

>>That does not follow.

> That it would be insane from my pov? Or that if they were not speciesist it
>would apply to snakes as well as to whatever else, if anything, or
>everything...?

You sure don't know anything worthwhile about this topic either Rupert,
since again you can't handle the basics.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 16, 8:37*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 4/16/2012 11:11 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> You did. *You attempt to waste my time in this manner quite often, actually.

> > I didn't.

> You did. *It's just one more in a string of attempts at wasting my time..

If you're so worried about wasting your time then why do you spend so
much time on this newsgroup?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 16, 8:53*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 4/16/2012 11:13 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> He's still a radical lying partisan. *You're trying to appeal to
> >> authority, when the credentials of the so-called authority are not
> >> established.

> > He is someone who is doing a PhD in metaethics, and he is not an ARA.

> That's nice. *I still don't see that he would be qualified to say that
> the "default position" of ethics is that equal consideration ought to be
> given to entities' interests irrespective of species. *That's a
> *normative* ethical prescription.

Quite, but in the course of doing a PhD in metaethics one becomes
quite knowledgeable about normative ethics as well. The different
areas of moral philosophy are linked.

> It also is a highly controversial one, disputed by many people in the
> field of ethics and elsewhere.

Yes, you're right that it is highly controversial, and I never
suggested otherwise, but he confirmed my belief that the majority
opinion of ethicists is that different amounts of consideration based
on species is something that needs to be justified, the burden of
proof is on the speciesist.

> > It is reasonable to suppose that he would be better-informed about the
> > matter than you.

> Meta-ethics is not normative ethics.

I know that. My remark still stands.

> >> Yes: *that equal consideration is due animals' interests.

> > Okay. So you believe all human interests are entitled to equal
> > consideration, yes? Or no?

> No - and neither do you.

What do you believe about humans, then?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 11, 7:39*pm, dh@. wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 00:37:10 -0700 (PDT), Rupert >
> wrote:

> >> * * That's for sure. If humans were not speciesist we could no longer survive
> >> since rodents, bugs and germs would eventually wipe us out. Early humans also
> >> would not have been able to defend themselves from predators if they didn't care
> >> more for themselves than they do for the predators.
> >> . . .

> >> * * Someone who honestly felt that way would be insane and a danger to society.
> >> They would feel no worse about hitting a child with their car than they would a
> >> snake, which would truly be insane from my pov.

> >That does not follow.

> * * That it would be insane from my pov? Or that if they were not speciesist it
> would apply to snakes as well as to whatever else, if anything, or
> everything...?

Being non-speciesist does not require to get as upset about the death
of a snake as about the death of a human child.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 17, 12:42*am, dh@. wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:39:22 -0400, dh@. wrote:
> >On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 00:37:10 -0700 (PDT), Rupert >
> >wrote:

> >>That does not follow.

> > * *That it would be insane from my pov? Or that if they were not speciesist it
> >would apply to snakes as well as to whatever else, if anything, or
> >everything...?

> * * You sure don't know anything worthwhile about this topic either Rupert,
> since again you can't handle the basics.

Actually you're wrong about that, but on the other hand if that is
what you think then it becomes a bit unclear what would motivate you
to talk to me about it.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

"Rupert" > wrote

> Yes, you're right that it is highly controversial, and I never
> suggested otherwise, but he confirmed my belief that the majority
> opinion of ethicists is that different amounts of consideration based
> on species is something that needs to be justified, the burden of
> proof is on the speciesist.

The consideration differences that exist in so-called "speciesism" are not
actually based on species. One thought experiment to illustrate would be to
imagine that a friendly extraterrestrial race of beings arrived on earth
that had superior intellectual capacities to humans. That species would
automatically be given full consideration equal to humans, and it would not
be based on species, it would be based on the totality of the entire
constellation of capacities inherent *in* the species. The reason that other
"isms" like racism and sexism are wrong is that they are based on
misconceptions about the capacities of the groups they discriminate against.
The discrimination we have against sea sponges is not based on a
misconception.

There's your proof, and explanation.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 17, 9:25*am, "Dutch" > wrote:
> "Rupert" > wrote
>
> > Yes, you're right that it is highly controversial, and I never
> > suggested otherwise, but he confirmed my belief that the majority
> > opinion of ethicists is that different amounts of consideration based
> > on species is something that needs to be justified, the burden of
> > proof is on the speciesist.

> The consideration differences that exist in so-called "speciesism" are not
> actually based on species. One thought experiment to illustrate would be to
> imagine that a friendly extraterrestrial race of beings arrived on earth
> that had superior intellectual capacities to humans. That species would
> automatically be given full consideration equal to humans, and it would not
> be based on species, it would be based on the totality of the entire
> constellation of capacities inherent *in* the species. The reason that other
> "isms" like racism and sexism are wrong is that they are based on
> misconceptions about the capacities of the groups they discriminate against.
> The discrimination we have against sea sponges is not based on a
> misconception.
>
> There's your proof, and explanation.

But when confronted with two cases, one involving a member of your own
species who lacks the usual capacities for your species, and one
involving a member of another species, you discriminate on the basis
of species.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 16, 8:53*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 4/16/2012 11:14 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> I could, but I won't - you're just trying to waste my time. *Perhaps
> >> Derek will help you find one.

> > I have never told you any such thing.

> You certainly have.

Then why is it that you are not able to show me where?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On 4/16/2012 11:45 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 16, 8:37 pm, George > wrote:

>>> I didn't.

>> You did. It's just one more in a string of attempts at wasting my time.

> If you're so worried about wasting your time then why do you spend so
> much time on this newsgroup?

I don't.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On 4/16/2012 11:47 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 16, 8:53 pm, George > wrote:

>>> He is someone who is doing a PhD in metaethics, and he is not an ARA.

>> That's nice. I still don't see that he would be qualified to say that
>> the "default position" of ethics is that equal consideration ought to be
>> given to entities' interests irrespective of species. That's a
>> *normative* ethical prescription.
>>

> Quite, but in the course of doing a PhD in metaethics one becomes
> quite knowledgeable about normative ethics as well. The different
> areas of moral philosophy are linked.
>
>> It also is a highly controversial one, disputed by many people in the
>> field of ethics and elsewhere.
>>

> Yes, you're right that it is highly controversial, and I never
> suggested otherwise, but he confirmed my belief that the majority
> opinion of ethicists is that different amounts of consideration based
> on species is something that needs to be justified, the burden of
> proof is on the speciesist.
>
>>> It is reasonable to suppose that he would be better-informed about the
>>> matter than you.

>> Meta-ethics is not normative ethics.
>>

> I know that. My remark still stands.

>>> Okay. So you believe all human interests are entitled to equal
>>> consideration, yes? Or no?

>> No - and neither do you.

> What do you believe about humans, then?

That we all establish hierarchies or circles.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On 4/16/2012 11:49 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 11, 7:39 pm, dh@. wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 00:37:10 -0700 (PDT), >
>> wrote:

>>> That does not follow.

>> That it would be insane from my pov? Or that if they were not speciesist it
>> would apply to snakes as well as to whatever else, if anything, or
>> everything...?

> Being non-speciesist does not require to get as upset about the death
> of a snake as about the death of a human child.

Of course it does. Not only that, but it says we should be indifferent
as to which one we save from harm. So, if I see vehicles about to crush
a snake and a human child, and I have time to rescue only one of them, I
should give equal consideration to rescuing the snake and the child -
essentially, flip a coin.

Don't give me any of your specious sophistry about figuring out which
one is more likely to have a richer, longer life of positive value
<snicker> if saved - "non-speciesism" (****, what a revolting,
disgusting made-up word) requires I give rescuing the snake as much
consideration as rescuing the child. That's why it's bullshit. It is
*OBVIOUS* to all right-thinking people that the child must be rescued.
It's something we all know intuitively is right.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On 4/16/2012 11:50 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 17, 12:42 am, dh@. wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:39:22 -0400, dh@. wrote:

>>> That it would be insane from my pov? Or that if they were not speciesist it
>>> would apply to snakes as well as to whatever else, if anything, or
>>> everything...?

>> You sure don't know anything worthwhile about this topic either Rupert,
>> since again you can't handle the basics.

> Actually you're wrong about that, but on the other hand if that is
> what you think then it becomes a bit unclear what would motivate you
> to talk to me about it.

You two are both time-wasters with low time value. It's natural you'd
both want to **** around and waste one another's time.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On 4/17/2012 4:45 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Apr 16, 8:53 pm, George > wrote:

>>> I have never told you any such thing.

>> You certainly have.

> Then why is it that you are not able to show me where?

Who says I'm not able?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 17, 4:09*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 4/17/2012 4:45 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> You certainly have.

> > Then why is it that you are not able to show me where?

> Who says I'm not able?

If you were able then why wouldn't you?
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics

On Apr 17, 4:07*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 4/16/2012 11:49 PM, Rupert wrote:
>

> > On Apr 11, 7:39 pm, dh@. wrote:

> >> * * *That it would be insane from my pov? Or that if they were not speciesist it
> >> would apply to snakes as well as to whatever else, if anything, or
> >> everything...?

> > Being non-speciesist does not require to get as upset about the death
> > of a snake as about the death of a human child.

> Of course it does. *Not only that, but it says we should be indifferent
> as to which one we save from harm. *So, if I see vehicles about to crush
> a snake and a human child, and I have time to rescue only one of them, I
> should give equal consideration to rescuing the snake and the child -
> essentially, flip a coin.
>
> Don't give me any of your specious sophistry about figuring out which
> one is more likely to have a richer, longer life of positive value
> <snicker> if saved - "non-speciesism" (****, what a revolting,
> disgusting made-up word) requires I give rescuing the snake as much
> consideration as rescuing the child.

No, it doesn't.

I told you you didn't understand what speciesism is.