Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default PING . . . "-a-" I think I know about your RED FRUIT SOUP!!!(spelled wrong, sorry!)

On Jul 2, 2:41 pm, "-a-" > wrote:
(snip)
> I have been looking (and googling) in vain to find a soup I recall being
> served once at Los Angele's now-gone-but-formerly-Old-Hollywood Scandia
> restaurant. As I recall it was a chilled soup, thick but uniform in a
> liquid consistency (i.e., no bits of fruit), but not an aspic, that was rich
> and red -- it may well have been cherries as the basic ingredient. most of
> the few recipes I've found as alleging to be a Scandia fruit soup involved
> boiling dried fruits (and doesn't mention grinding/sieving or otherwise
> creating a uniform consistency).
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion. I remember being surprised at how
> refreshing, sweet and unexpected it was.

=======================================

That is 'redgrot mit floedd' - NOT spelled like that!!!
Made with raspberries (or some native berry) I think.
Looks almost clear but not jelled in the least.
The picture in the book had seeds, but maybe yours was strained.
It's in the Time-Life Foods of the World "Cooking in Scandinavia".
SOMEBODY on this list has a copy.
I gave my copy to a friend but I'll try to borrow it back.
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2:41 pm, "-a-" > wrote:
> (snip)
>> I have been looking (and googling) in vain to find a soup I recall being
>> served once at Los Angele's now-gone-but-formerly-Old-Hollywood Scandia
>> restaurant. As I recall it was a chilled soup, thick but uniform in a
>> liquid consistency (i.e., no bits of fruit), but not an aspic, that was rich
>> and red -- it may well have been cherries as the basic ingredient. most of
>> the few recipes I've found as alleging to be a Scandia fruit soup involved
>> boiling dried fruits (and doesn't mention grinding/sieving or otherwise
>> creating a uniform consistency).
>>
>> Does anyone have a suggestion. I remember being surprised at how
>> refreshing, sweet and unexpected it was.

> =======================================
>
> That is 'redgrot mit floedd' - NOT spelled like that!!!
> Made with raspberries (or some native berry) I think.
> Looks almost clear but not jelled in the least.
> The picture in the book had seeds, but maybe yours was strained.
> It's in the Time-Life Foods of the World "Cooking in Scandinavia".
> SOMEBODY on this list has a copy.
> I gave my copy to a friend but I'll try to borrow it back.
> Lynn in Fargo

I was thinking rodgrod (sp?) too. My copy is buried, alas.

--
Jean B.