Old 13-03-2012, 03:58 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

Default "veganism" is bullshit

On 3/13/2012 1:30 AM, Rupert wrote:
On Mar 10, 4:22 pm, George wrote:
On 3/10/2012 6:51 AM, Rupert wrote:

On 10 Mrz., 15:46, George wrote:
The initial interest in veganism is obviously motivated by concern
about animal suffering.

It's not. It's motivated by a childish personification of animals.

As I have said before,

It was bullshit before, just as it's bullshit now.

You reckon?

Oh, yes, for certain.

So you think that it doesn't strike me as irrational to deny that for
most vegans the initial interest in veganism is motivated by concern
about animal suffering?

It's motivated by a childlike misunderstanding of it. *All* they see is
that the meat came from a "cute" animal, and they feel "sad" about it.
"Awww...I'meating a moo-cow, mommy. Waaaahhhhh!"

And presumably you would claim that these utterances of yours don't
strike me as irrational.

Of course - they are. I denigrate your fake concern for animals for the
childlike emotional reaction they are.

Your good buddy "glen" or "mark" or
whatever the **** his name really is, is a prime example.

I don't know where you got the idea that he's my good buddy

Stop with the denial.

He's obviously not my good buddy,

Oh, but he is!

Well, we can certainly be sure that you're not going to let go of this
idea,

Not when it's right.

And also not when it's wrong

It isn't wrong.

How did you first learn that "Glen" is my good buddy?

He's part of The Side, and you lot stick up for one another.

Derek doesn't.

Derek is unique.

Old 13-03-2012, 04:35 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 10 Mrz., 15:46, George * *wrote:
[...]

What evidence do you have that the concern is fake?
Old 13-03-2012, 05:21 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 10 Mrz., 15:46, George wrote:
[...]

It's a concern for yourself, not for animals.

Old 13-03-2012, 06:42 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 10 Mrz., 15:46, George wrote:
[...]

Why do you think that?

I've shown that often enough over the time you've been participating here.

Old 13-03-2012, 08:29 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 13:40:09 -0800, Goo wrote:

“Veganism” *is* bullshit. Here’s why. It claims to be an ethical
response to an ethical problem, but 1) there is no agreement that there
is an ethical problem

"the "getting to experience life" deserves NO moral
consideration, and is given none; the deliberate killing
of animals for use by humans DOES deserve moral
consideration, and gets it." - Goo

"the moral harm caused by killing them is greater in magnitude
than ANY benefit they might derive from "decent lives" - Goo

""giving them life" does NOT mitigate the wrongness of
their deaths" - Goo

"Life "justifying" death is the
stupidest goddamned thing you ever wrote." - Goo

"NO livestock benefit from being farmed." - Goo

"No farm animals benefit from farming." - Goo

"the nutritionally unnecessary choice deliberately to kill an animal
ALWAYS causes a moral harm greater in magnitude than . . . the
moral "benefit" realized by the animal in existing at all" - Goo

"There is nothing to "appreciate" about the livestock "getting
to experience life" - Goo

"no matter how "decent" the conditions are, the deliberate killing
of the animals erases all of it." - Goo

"Causing animals to be born and "get to experience life"
(in ****wit's wretched prose) is no mitigation at all for
killing them." - Goo
.. . .
2) the response is ethically empty.

"People who don't want them to exist should be "vegans".
"Vegans" aren't interested in contributing to lives of any
quality for farm animals: they don't want there to be farm
animals." - Goo

""vegans" are interested in their influence on animals,
****wit. They want everyone to be "vegan", which would
mean no animals raised for food and other products. That's
an influence, whether you like it or not." - Goo

""Veg*nism" certainly doesn't harm any living farm animals.
And if everyone adopted "veg*nism", no farm animals would
live in bad conditions." - Goo

"you MUST believe that it makes moral sense not
to raise the animals as the only way to prevent the harm that
results from killing them." - Goo

"There is no "selfishness" involved in wanting farm animals not to
exist as a step towards creating a more just world." - Goo
Old 14-03-2012, 12:59 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

****wit David Harrison - THE Goober - wussed:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 13:40:09 -0800, George Plimpton helpfully contributed:

“Veganism” *is* bullshit. Here’s why. It claims to be an ethical
response to an ethical problem, but 1) there is no agreement that there
is an ethical problem

"the "getting to experience life" deserves NO moral
consideration, and is given none; the deliberate killing
of animals for use by humans DOES deserve moral
consideration, and gets it." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

"the moral harm, *if any*, caused by killing them is greater in magnitude
than ANY benefit they might derive from "decent lives" - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

""giving them life" does NOT mitigate the wrongness of
their deaths" - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

"Life "justifying" death is the
stupidest goddamned thing you ever wrote." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

"NO livestock benefit from being farmed." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

"No farm animals benefit from farming." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

"the nutritionally unnecessary choice deliberately to kill an animal
ALWAYS causes a moral harm greater in magnitude than . . . the
moral "benefit" realized by the animal in existing at all" - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

"There is nothing to "appreciate" about the livestock "getting
to experience life" - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

"no matter how "decent" the conditions are, the deliberate killing
of the animals erases all of it." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

"Causing animals to be born and "get to experience life"
(in ****wit's wretched prose) is no mitigation at all for
killing them." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

. . .
2) the response is ethically empty.

"People who don't want them to exist should be "vegans".
"Vegans" aren't interested in contributing to lives of any
quality for farm animals: they don't want there to be farm
animals." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

""vegans" are interested in their influence on animals,
****wit. They want everyone to be "vegan", which would
mean no animals raised for food and other products. That's
an influence, whether you like it or not." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

""Veg*nism" certainly doesn't harm any living farm animals.
And if everyone adopted "veg*nism", no farm animals would
live in bad conditions." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

"you MUST believe that it makes moral sense not
to raise the animals as the only way to prevent the harm that
results from killing them." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

"There is no "selfishness" involved in wanting farm animals not to
exist as a step towards creating a more just world." - Prof. Geo. Plimpton

True.

Old 14-03-2012, 12:26 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 10 Mrz., 15:46, George * * * *wrote:
[...]

And how do you think you have shown it?
Old 14-03-2012, 04:04 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 10 Mrz., 15:46, George wrote:
[...]

And how do [timewasting]

I've shown it.

Old 14-03-2012, 09:28 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 10 Mrz., 15:46, George * * * * * *wrote:
[...]

And have you convinced me that you've shown it?
Old 14-03-2012, 09:37 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

On 10 Mrz., 15:46, George wrote:
[...]

I don't really care. You've seen what I have said. Whether or not
you're convinced is immaterial.
Old 14-03-2012, 10:04 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

wrote:
[...]

One compelling argument that you have definitely seen was given in great
detail in the vegan shuffle argument.

Old 15-03-2012, 01:27 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you can tell me which one you have in mind.