Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

Default "veganism" is bullshit

On 3/15/2012 12:32 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Mar 15, 5:36 am, George > wrote:

>>> I will gladly switch to consuming meat that involves less suffering
>>> when I am convinced that there is a practical means of doing so.

>> You aren't honestly open to being convinced of it. You rule it out by
>> axiomatically.
>>

> You have no rational grounds for thinking that.

I do. You've told us.

>>> You have made some suggestions but what's holding me back is that I
>>> am not convinced that they really would involve less suffering.

>> And because of the way you play the game, you will never find out,
>> because you won't even make an effort to determine how much suffering
>> you cause. You don't care. You're happy and smugly satisfied that
>> you're "better" than omnivores.
>>

> This is false. I have made an effort to determine how much suffering I
> cause,

No, you haven't. You've categorically said the data aren't available.

Stop lying.

>>> There is no good reason for saying that not "doing the best they can"
>>> given the limited information that is available.

>> They aren't "doing" anything. Their entire conclusion is based on what
>> they're *not* doing: consuming animal parts. They assume that what
>> they're not doing is all they need to know. That has been proved not to
>> be a sound basis for the conclusion.
>>

> Going vegan on the basis of information about what happens on modern
> animal farms

If you eat meat, you aren't required to eat meat from animal farms.
That has *ZERO* bearing on the harm you *cause*, rather than the harm
you don't cause by putting any particular type of meat in your mouth.

You have no idea what amount of harm you cause - zero idea.

>> *Some* improvement could be had for very little effort,

> What's your evidence for that?

**** you, cocksucker. We've been through this. Stop trying to waste my
time, prick.

>> but they won't
>> undertake *any* effort to learn how they might improve. The decision
>> not to consume animal parts is not the starting point in a quest to
>> cause less harm - it's the ending point.
>>
>>> You also haven't
>>> pointed out any specific example of a meat consumer who is doing
>>> better than a vegan.

>> Meat consumers don't make any of the fatuous claims of "vegans". They
>> don't accept the fake moral issues that "vegans" want to inject into diet.
>>

> You just *did* make a claim that some meat consumers are doing better
> than vegans.

*Individual* meat consumers, unlike *all* individual "vegans", make no
claim about causing harm.

>>> For most meat consumers it is very unlikely that
>>> they are doing better than a vegan.

>> Why are you comparing yourself with meat consumers to show that you're
>> virtuous?

> I'm not.

You are. What you really wrote above, substituting where necessary, is
"For most meat consumers it is very unlikely that they are doing better
than a *me*." You were making a statement about yourself.

>> Don't you know that's invalid?
>>
>> 1. Your diet causes the "rights" of animals to be violated.

> That depends what rights they have.

The *same* rights would be violated whether they are killed by combines
or killed in slaughterhouses. **** off, ****.

>> 2. You almost certainly are not consuming the least-harm "vegan"
>> diet that you could, let alone the least-harm overall diet.
>>

> Yes, I have done everything I can to reduce the amount of harm caused
> by my diet,

You have done *NOTHING*. You don't "do" anything. You *don't* put
animal parts in your mouth - that's all.

>> What does the level of harm caused by "most meat consumers" have to do
>> with what *you* are doing?
>>
>> Nothing, that's what.
>>

> You were the one who brought the subject up.

*You* are doing nothing. You obsess solely on what you're *not* doing:
consuming animal bits. That's *meaningless* in terms of quantifying
the harm you cause. You don't want to quantify it - you don't care.

>>> You've given absolutely no good reason at all for thinking that vegans
>>> are not genuinely concerned about animal suffering.

>> I most certainly have. I have shown beyond all dispute that their
>> decision not to consume animal parts absolutely does *NOT* lead to the
>> conclusion they wish to believe,

> What conclusion?

The conclusion that they're not violating animal rights, and that
they're "minimizing"/"doing the best they can"/"doing better than
omnivores". That conclusion, you ****.

>> yet they do nothing more than that. It
>> *can't* be about animal suffering, because they don't do anything after
>> their assumption has been falsified, which of course it has.

> You're a fool.

I've killed you.