lostcherree

Default Butternut Squash Help

"C. James Strutz" > wrote in
:

> "lostcherree" > wrote in message
>> I have a small jar of butternut squash puree... what could I go with
>> it ??
>>
>> Heather

> I like mashed butternut squash with only salt and pepper. Or use it to
> stuff raviolis. You can buy pre-cut eggroll wrappers if you don't feel
> like rolling out your own dough. Dab a bit of filling in the middle,
> fold over, and crimp. Great served with a mild curry cream sauce.

mmmm stuffing for raviolis sounds good

thanks!

Heather
XwomX

I once had a Butternut Bisque at a restaurant. It was rich and creamy,
topped off with a little drizzle of hazlenut oil.

I don't have a recipe, but it was so good, someone is bound to?

"lostcherree" > wrote in message
> I have a small jar of butternut squash puree... what could I go with it ??
>
> Heather

lostcherree

"XwomX" > wrote in

> I once had a Butternut Bisque at a restaurant. It was rich and
> creamy, topped off with a little drizzle of hazlenut oil.
>
> I don't have a recipe, but it was so good, someone is bound to?
>

> "lostcherree" > wrote in message
>> I have a small jar of butternut squash puree... what could I go with
>> it ??
>>
>> Heather

> I was thinking about making a soup with it too, just what spices to add?

Heather

MrFalafel

lostcherree > wrote in message >...
> "XwomX" > wrote in
>
> > I once had a Butternut Bisque at a restaurant. It was rich and
> > creamy, topped off with a little drizzle of hazlenut oil.
> >
> > I don't have a recipe, but it was so good, someone is bound to?
> >

> > "lostcherree" > wrote in message
> >> I have a small jar of butternut squash puree... what could I go with
> >> it ??
> >>
> >> Heather

> > I was thinking about making a soup with it too, just what spices to add?

> Heather

Here's a recipe you may want to use as a guide:

Butternut Squash and Ginger Soup

1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp vegetable oil
7006 / 1 1/2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and chopped
2 tsp freshly grated ginger root juice
a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 pints light vegetable stock

Sauté the onion and garlic in the oil for about 5 minutes, covered,
without browning. Add the butternut squash, ginger juice, nutmeg and a
little seasoning. Cover and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes,
stirring occasionally to prevent browning.

Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until
the squash is tender. Puree the soup in a blender or food processor.
Reheat to serve. Garnish with chopped chives, freshly grated nutmeg or
a swirl of soy cream if so inclined.
MrFalafel

"XwomX" > wrote in message news:<wwFgb.40708$pl3.21345@pd7tw3no>...
> I once had a Butternut Bisque at a restaurant. It was rich and creamy,
> topped off with a little drizzle of hazlenut oil.
>
> I don't have a recipe, but it was so good, someone is bound to?
>

> "lostcherree" > wrote in message
> > I have a small jar of butternut squash puree... what could I go with it ??
> >
> > Heather

Butternut Bisque

6 cups water
6 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 2 1/2 lbs)
3 cups potatoes, diced (Yukon Gold if available)
1 large onion, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
14oz can Mexican style stewed tomatoes (diced tomatoes mixed with a
bit of cumin and oregano)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp ground sage
1/8 tsp white pepper
generous sprinkling of fresh ground nutmeg
1/3 cup mellow white miso
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 tbsp tamari

Place water, squash, potatoes, onion and garlic in a 6 quart saucepan
and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook 30 to 45 minutes
or until the vegetables are tender. Remove 3 cups of the veggies to
the bowl of a food processor and add the stewed tomatoes and
nutritional yeast. Process the mixture to a thick puree. Return the
puree to the soup and add the thyme, sage, pepper and nutmeg.

In a separate bowl, blend the miso with the sherry and add to the
bisque with the tamari. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or just until
the bisque begins to bubble. Do not boil. Serve with a crusty
sourdough bread.

C. James Strutz

"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
om...
> "XwomX" > wrote in message

> > I once had a Butternut Bisque at a restaurant. It was rich and creamy,
> > topped off with a little drizzle of hazlenut oil.
> >
> > I don't have a recipe, but it was so good, someone is bound to?
> >

> > "lostcherree" > wrote in message
> > > I have a small jar of butternut squash puree... what could I go with

it ??

> > > Heather

> Butternut Bisque
>
> 6 cups water
> 6 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 2 1/2 lbs)
> 3 cups potatoes, diced (Yukon Gold if available)
> 1 large onion, chopped
> 8 cloves garlic, minced
> 14oz can Mexican style stewed tomatoes (diced tomatoes mixed with a
> bit of cumin and oregano)
> 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
> 1 tsp dried thyme
> 1/4 tsp ground sage
> 1/8 tsp white pepper
> generous sprinkling of fresh ground nutmeg
> 1/3 cup mellow white miso
> 1/4 cup dry sherry
> 1 tbsp tamari
>
> Place water, squash, potatoes, onion and garlic in a 6 quart saucepan
> and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook 30 to 45 minutes
> or until the vegetables are tender. Remove 3 cups of the veggies to
> the bowl of a food processor and add the stewed tomatoes and
> nutritional yeast. Process the mixture to a thick puree. Return the
> puree to the soup and add the thyme, sage, pepper and nutmeg.
>
> In a separate bowl, blend the miso with the sherry and add to the
> bisque with the tamari. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or just until
> the bisque begins to bubble. Do not boil. Serve with a crusty
> sourdough bread.

I think you should call yourself "MrReceipe" rather than "MrFalafel"!

lostcherree

(MrFalafel) wrote in
om:

> lostcherree > wrote in message
>> "XwomX" > wrote in
>>
>> > I once had a Butternut Bisque at a restaurant. It was rich and
>> > creamy, topped off with a little drizzle of hazlenut oil.
>> >
>> > I don't have a recipe, but it was so good, someone is bound to?

>> > I was thinking about making a soup with it too, just what spices to
>> > add?

>> Heather

> Here's a recipe you may want to use as a guide:
>
> Butternut Squash and Ginger Soup
>
> 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
> 2 cloves garlic, crushed
> 1 tbsp vegetable oil
> 7006 / 1 1/2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and chopped
> 2 tsp freshly grated ginger root juice
> a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
> salt and pepper to taste
> 1 1/2 pints light vegetable stock
>
> Sauté the onion and garlic in the oil for about 5 minutes, covered,
> without browning. Add the butternut squash, ginger juice, nutmeg and a
> little seasoning. Cover and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes,
> stirring occasionally to prevent browning.
>
> Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until
> the squash is tender. Puree the soup in a blender or food processor.
> Reheat to serve. Garnish with chopped chives, freshly grated nutmeg or
> a swirl of soy cream if so inclined.

yaya ... this first one sounds just right for me

I'll have to make it tomorrow

Heather