MEow

Default What to eat with my butternut Squash?

I've managed to get my hands on a butternut squash, though they're
normally nearly impossible to find around here. I plan to bake it with
some minced garlic, as I did last time I managed to get one.

However, I also want some sort of protein in my meals, as I'm now
thinking more of eating balanced. I don't eat meat apart from game meat,
but I do eat fish. Of course pulses, nuts or other vegetarian protein
sources are also possibilities. I'm lactose intolerant, but can digest
limited amounts of hard cheese, and most other dairy products can often
be replaced with substitutes as long as it's not a major part of the
recipe. Based on this, does anyone have any ideas as what would be good
for me to eat with my butternut squash?
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
PENMART01

>MEow nikittariber wrote:
>
>I've managed to get my hands on a butternut squash, though they're
>normally nearly impossible to find around here. I plan to bake it with
>some minced garlic, as I did last time I managed to get one.
>
>However, I also want some sort of protein in my meals, as I'm now
>thinking more of eating balanced. I don't eat meat apart from game meat,
>but I do eat fish. Of course pulses, nuts or other vegetarian protein
>sources are also possibilities. I'm lactose intolerant, but can digest
>limited amounts of hard cheese, and most other dairy products can often
>be replaced with substitutes as long as it's not a major part of the
>recipe. Based on this, does anyone have any ideas as what would be good
>for me to eat with my butternut squash?

Butternut and other winter squash pair up excellently with fresh sausage... I'd
stuff the cavity with a good sized mound of bulk breakfast sausage and bake...
naturally you want to use sausage prepared from meat you ground yourself.... if
you don't care for sagey breakfast sausage sweet 'talian works, use lots of
fennel seeds. This pairs well with rice or pasta.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

jmcquown

PENMART01 wrote:
>> MEow nikittariber wrote:
>>
>> I've managed to get my hands on a butternut squash, though they're
>> normally nearly impossible to find around here. I plan to bake it
>> with
>> some minced garlic, as I did last time I managed to get one.
>>
>> However, I also want some sort of protein in my meals, as I'm now
>> thinking more of eating balanced. I don't eat meat apart from game
>> meat,
>> but I do eat fish. Of course pulses, nuts or other vegetarian protein
>> sources are also possibilities. I'm lactose intolerant, but can
>> digest limited amounts of hard cheese, and most other dairy products
>> can often
>> be replaced with substitutes as long as it's not a major part of the
>> recipe. Based on this, does anyone have any ideas as what would be
>> good
>> for me to eat with my butternut squash?

> Butternut and other winter squash pair up excellently with fresh
> sausage... I'd stuff the cavity with a good sized mound of bulk
> breakfast sausage and bake... naturally you want to use sausage
> prepared from meat you ground yourself.... if you don't care for
> sagey breakfast sausage sweet 'talian works, use lots of fennel
> seeds. This pairs well with rice or pasta.

Agreed! I would have to agree with the Italian sausage rather than the more
sage-y kind.

Jill

Katra

In article >,
MEow > wrote:

> I've managed to get my hands on a butternut squash, though they're
> normally nearly impossible to find around here. I plan to bake it with
> some minced garlic, as I did last time I managed to get one.
>
> However, I also want some sort of protein in my meals, as I'm now
> thinking more of eating balanced. I don't eat meat apart from game meat,
> but I do eat fish. Of course pulses, nuts or other vegetarian protein
> sources are also possibilities. I'm lactose intolerant, but can digest
> limited amounts of hard cheese, and most other dairy products can often
> be replaced with substitutes as long as it's not a major part of the
> recipe. Based on this, does anyone have any ideas as what would be good
> for me to eat with my butternut squash?

I personally like to nuke them in a covered corningware with butter and
a bit of raw sugar, but if you are lactose intolerant, you would have to
use margarine. :-)

Chicken or turkey goes well with it as a protien.

Just MHO.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Katra

In article >,
(PENMART01) wrote:

> >MEow nikittariber wrote:
> >
> >I've managed to get my hands on a butternut squash, though they're
> >normally nearly impossible to find around here. I plan to bake it with
> >some minced garlic, as I did last time I managed to get one.
> >
> >However, I also want some sort of protein in my meals, as I'm now
> >thinking more of eating balanced. I don't eat meat apart from game meat,
> >but I do eat fish. Of course pulses, nuts or other vegetarian protein
> >sources are also possibilities. I'm lactose intolerant, but can digest
> >limited amounts of hard cheese, and most other dairy products can often
> >be replaced with substitutes as long as it's not a major part of the
> >recipe. Based on this, does anyone have any ideas as what would be good
> >for me to eat with my butternut squash?

> Butternut and other winter squash pair up excellently with fresh sausage...
> I'd
> stuff the cavity with a good sized mound of bulk breakfast sausage and
> bake...
> naturally you want to use sausage prepared from meat you ground yourself....
> if
> you don't care for sagey breakfast sausage sweet 'talian works, use lots of
> fennel seeds. This pairs well with rice or pasta.
>
> Sheldon

Awesome idea, damn this sounds good!

K. (who now needs to go shopping for some winter squash...)