Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Butternut squash.

I bought some. Now what to do with it? I was reading up about it and also
watched an episode of whatever show Nick Stellino is on where he talked
about it. He said that if you roast, boil or turn it into soup, the flavors
will all be different. Makes sense.

And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to! Costco
had it peeled and cubed so all I have to do is figure out what to do with
it. I am thinking to roast it. If you make it this way, how do you do
yours? When I tried it before, I think I just cut it in slices and left the
skin on. May have used salt and pepper and maybe olive oil. But the end
result was not tasty. I want tasty!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I bought some. Now what to do with it? I was reading up about it

[...]
> I want tasty!

Tortelli di zucca, then. Every area in the river Po valley has its own
recipe, like the renowned ones from Mantova and Ferrara or the other local
recipes. This one is from Reggio Emilia, my province. The big difference
among the various recipes is the sour and sweet part: ground amaretti and
mostarda*. Some recipes call for amaretti and others don't, since here in
Reggio it's a matter of choice in my family we choose add them. Mustard, on
the other hand, we don't like it in our tortelli so we leave it out, while
in Mantova it's a mandatory ingredient.

Tortelli di Zucca Reggiani - serves six

Filling
1.5 kg uf butternut squash
100 grams crumbled amaretti (the dry ones)
100 grams grated very old cheese (30 months +)
Nutmeg
Salt

Dough,
600 grams soft wheat flour (all purpose)
6 eggs

Dressing
100 grams lard
an onion
a medium sized tomato
or just butter

Slowly bake the squash until a fork can enter the pulp with very few
resistance; separate pulp from seeds and rind; put the pulp in a bowl and
add the crumbled amaretti (if you haven0t a mortar just wrap them in
parchment papaer and crush them with the flat bottom of a glass), the grated
cheese, some nutmeg and a pinch of salt. Mix all well and taste both for
salt and the sweetness from the amaretti.
Mix well the eggs and the flour and lay the dough in a thin layer, but thick
enough to be worked. Make it into 6 inches wide strips the longest you can
then get the filling bowl and a couple of small spoons: using the 2 spoons
just make quenelles of the filling and put them over the dough in a line:
http://www.solofornelli.it/wp-conten...elli_zucca.gif
After you topped a whole strip, fold the dough over the filling balls:
http://www.ristoranteilgiglio.it/fil...gio-emilia.jpg
With the fingers, press the dough around the filling balls taking care to
let the air out, then just cut the dough between one tortello and
anotherwith a rolling pin and end up by pressing the edges with a fork to
give a better closure.
Ready a floured cutting board or tray and put the tortelli there to rest
about hour before cooking them.
Prepare tha sautee with just the onion and the tomato in minced lard, or
just melt some butter, any way you choose never forget to grate some very
old aged cheese. Bring a pot of water to a boil, boil the tortelli for about
5-8 minutes, based on how thick is the dough. If 8 minutes aren't enough
just wait and taste the dough edge of a tortello now and then. Lay the
tortelli in the dishes in a flat layer, avoiding to superimpose them, then
add the dressing of your choice, add the grated cheese and proceed with a
second layer of tortelli.
A hearthy and versatile food for winter Sundays, if one doesn't like
amaretti or mostarda he can leave them out as many people do.

Apart from the cooking time of the squash, which can also be baked in
advance, it takes about 45 minutes to an hour of work to prepare tortelli
for 6 persons.

* whole or cut fruits preserved under a thick, sirupy, mustard-essence laden
kind of sirup. The most famous are cremonese, with many fruits, and
mantovana, with just pere cotogne.
Cremonese:
http://www.alimentipedia.it/files/im...da-cremona.jpg
Mantovana:
http://www.clubpapillon.it/serbatoio...o/mostarda.JPG
Somehow some old time italian merchant or cook took the word "mustard",
which has a precise significance in all the world, and used it to name this
particular item, so now we're the only ones using the word "mustard" for
something different from sinapsis hirta, brassica juncea or brassica nigra.
Those we call them "senape".
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
> [...]

> for 6 persons.
>
> * whole or cut fruits preserved under a thick, sirupy, mustard-essence
> laden kind of sirup. The most famous are cremonese, with many fruits, and
> mantovana, with just pere cotogne.
> Cremonese:
> http://www.alimentipedia.it/files/im...da-cremona.jpg
> Mantovana:
> http://www.clubpapillon.it/serbatoio...o/mostarda.JPG
> Somehow some old time italian merchant or cook took the word "mustard",
> which has a precise significance in all the world, and used it to name
> this particular item, so now we're the only ones using the word "mustard"
> for something different from sinapsis hirta, brassica juncea or brassica
> nigra. Those we call them "senape".
> --
> "Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"

Interesting! Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 22:47:21 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I bought some. Now what to do with it? I was reading up about it and also
>watched an episode of whatever show Nick Stellino is on where he talked
>about it. He said that if you roast, boil or turn it into soup, the flavors
>will all be different. Makes sense.
>
>And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to! Costco
>had it peeled and cubed so all I have to do is figure out what to do with
>it. I am thinking to roast it. If you make it this way, how do you do
>yours? When I tried it before, I think I just cut it in slices and left the
>skin on. May have used salt and pepper and maybe olive oil. But the end
>result was not tasty. I want tasty!

I don't like it boiled and mashed.

It is amazingly good roasted though. I like to cut it up along with
some carrots and potatoes, drizzle with olive oil and spread it on a
tray to roast. Delicious with the caramelized outside.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 14, 2013 1:47:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

> And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to!

Is there a good way to peel butternut squash? I've always struggled.

http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 22:47:21 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I bought some. Now what to do with it? I was reading up about it and also
>watched an episode of whatever show Nick Stellino is on where he talked
>about it. He said that if you roast, boil or turn it into soup, the flavors
>will all be different. Makes sense.
>
>And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to! Costco
>had it peeled and cubed so all I have to do is figure out what to do with
>it. I am thinking to roast it. If you make it this way, how do you do
>yours? When I tried it before, I think I just cut it in slices and left the
>skin on. May have used salt and pepper and maybe olive oil. But the end
>result was not tasty. I want tasty!

Crispy baked butternut squash skins are the best part.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 04:53:26 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

>On Monday, October 14, 2013 1:47:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to!

>Is there a good way to peel butternut squash? I've always struggled.

Why would you want to peel it, butternut squash skin is perfectly
edible. And if you want to use just the flesh for a recipe bake the
squash until the skin is crisp, scoop out the flesh with a spoon and
eat the skin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

>> Apart from the cooking time of the squash, which can also be baked in
>> advance, it takes about 45 minutes to an hour of work to prepare
>> tortelli for 6 persons.

> Interesting! Thanks!

You're welcome. It has interested me also, so much I just grabbed a pack of
amaretti, eggs, flour and a kg of squash
If I don't fall asleep before, this evening I'll be working at 4 servings of
tortelli di zucca. Pictres ahead
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 04:53:26 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

>On Monday, October 14, 2013 1:47:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to!

>Is there a good way to peel butternut squash? I've always struggled.
>
>http://www.richardfisher.com

I use a peeler that you pull rather than a knife. Not as easy as a
potato, but not difficult.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 08:45:39 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Why would you want to peel it, butternut squash skin is perfectly
>edible. And if you want to use just the flesh for a recipe bake the
>squash until the skin is crisp, scoop out the flesh with a spoon and
>eat the skin.

Never knew that. Next time I'll try some skin on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 09:34:39 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 08:45:39 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>

>>Why would you want to peel it, butternut squash skin is perfectly
>>edible. And if you want to use just the flesh for a recipe bake the
>>squash until the skin is crisp, scoop out the flesh with a spoon and
>>eat the skin.

>Never knew that. Next time I'll try some skin on.

No different from a baked potato.... slice in half longitudinally,
scoop out the seed cavity, add your choice of flavoring ingredients,
and bake on a foil lined pan like sweet potatoes for easier clean up.
Another method is to bake a lot at once on a grill at very low
temperature for many hours... the squash will dry out, take on a smoke
flavor, and be the best fat free smoked 'gouda' you've ever eaten.
When I have a glut of butternut squash I bake the cavity ends normally
but I use the tail ends to make 'gouda'.

I like acorn squash too, it's a whole different texture, but I bake
them the same way. Only thing is the skin contains some spines at the
ridges but they are easy to eat around... and the younger smaller
acorn squash won't have those spines/bones. Try baking these winter
squash with some sausage meat in the cavity... raw is fine as it will
fully cook during baking... add a drizzle of honey too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-10-14 7:53 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Monday, October 14, 2013 1:47:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to!

> Is there a good way to peel butternut squash? I've always struggled.

You don't really have to, but it you do, cut it into chunks and peal
individual chunks. Or.... you can roast it in the skin and scoop it out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Not sure if anyone would be interested, but here's a recipe
for Butternut Squash Lasagna. Looks pretty good:

http://www.parade.com/26751/pippamid...quash-lasagna/

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I bought some. Now what to do with it?
>
> And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to! Costco
> had it peeled and cubed so all I have to do is figure out what to do with
> it. I am thinking to roast it. If you make it this way, how do you do
> yours?

You say you are trying to save money but you buy so many prepared
foods and certainly pay dearly for what you get. Roasted is best,
imo, but maybe not roasting cubes...they might turn out too dry.

I bought whole butternut squash a few days ago (on sale for .79/lb).
I just split it down the middle, scooped out the seeds, coated with
olive oil, then put it face down on a foiled cookie sheet for 75
minutes in a 350F oven. Came out browned and delicious!

I tasted a bite first and I could have eaten all just like that but I
used it to make Jill's "Roasted Butternut Squash Soup."
http://www.recfoodcooking.org/sigs/J...sh%20Soup.html

I made it yesterday just as written and *absolutely* loved it. oh man!
Jill mentioned to add a little garlic if desired. I didn't but halfway
through my second bowl, I did add a little garlic powder just to see
how that tasted. I didn't like it. It distracted from the original
soup.

Her soup is a definite blue ribbon winner.
Anyone here that hasn't tried it should, for sure.
Will I make it again? a definite YES
Will I make a few changes next time? NONE

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 22:47:21 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I bought some. Now what to do with it? I was reading up about it and
>>also
>>watched an episode of whatever show Nick Stellino is on where he talked
>>about it. He said that if you roast, boil or turn it into soup, the
>>flavors
>>will all be different. Makes sense.
>>
>>And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to!
>>Costco
>>had it peeled and cubed so all I have to do is figure out what to do with
>>it. I am thinking to roast it. If you make it this way, how do you do
>>yours? When I tried it before, I think I just cut it in slices and left
>>the
>>skin on. May have used salt and pepper and maybe olive oil. But the end
>>result was not tasty. I want tasty!

> I don't like it boiled and mashed.
>
> It is amazingly good roasted though. I like to cut it up along with
> some carrots and potatoes, drizzle with olive oil and spread it on a
> tray to roast. Delicious with the caramelized outside.

Thanks! I found a recipe from Ina Garten for caramelized. It uses 1/4 cup
of brown sugar for 2 pounds of squash. I think I will try that but will use
brown sugar Splenda and probably far less of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Monday, October 14, 2013 1:47:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to!

> Is there a good way to peel butternut squash? I've always struggled.
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

I can't remember where I read this but the guy said to think of it as being
in two pieces. The ball and the thinner part. Cut it across to separate
the ball and the thinner part. Then cut down the middle of the ball and
separate the two halves. Lay each piece flat and cut the peel off. Then
lay the thinner piece cut side down and peel from top to bottom. Then
remove the seeds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Not sure if anyone would be interested, but here's a recipe
> for Butternut Squash Lasagna. Looks pretty good:
>

> http://www.parade.com/26751/pippamid...quash-lasagna/

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2013 10:31 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2013-10-14 7:53 AM, Helpful person wrote:
>> On Monday, October 14, 2013 1:47:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to!

>> Is there a good way to peel butternut squash? I've always struggled.
>>

> You don't really have to, but it you do, cut it into chunks and peal
> individual chunks. Or.... you can roast it in the skin and scoop it out.

I agree, Dave. If the squash should be raw before being used to make
[whatever] I'd go with cutting it into chunks and peeling the pieces.
Not everything calls for pre-cooked (roasted) butternut squash.

I do not eat the skin of butternut squash.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2013 2:49 PM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I bought some. Now what to do with it?
>>
>> And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to! Costco
>> had it peeled and cubed so all I have to do is figure out what to do with
>> it. I am thinking to roast it. If you make it this way, how do you do
>> yours?

> You say you are trying to save money but you buy so many prepared
> foods and certainly pay dearly for what you get. Roasted is best,
> imo, but maybe not roasting cubes...they might turn out too dry.
>
> I bought whole butternut squash a few days ago (on sale for .79/lb).
> I just split it down the middle, scooped out the seeds, coated with
> olive oil, then put it face down on a foiled cookie sheet for 75
> minutes in a 350F oven. Came out browned and delicious!
>
> I tasted a bite first and I could have eaten all just like that

I could eat it all just like that, too.

> but I
> used it to make Jill's "Roasted Butternut Squash Soup."
> http://www.recfoodcooking.org/sigs/J...sh%20Soup.html
>
> I made it yesterday just as written and *absolutely* loved it. oh man!
> Jill mentioned to add a little garlic if desired. I didn't but halfway
> through my second bowl, I did add a little garlic powder just to see
> how that tasted. I didn't like it. It distracted from the original
> soup.

What did you think about my use of onion powder rather than actual
onions or dehydrated onions? You mentioned previously you didn't
normally use it. I don't use onion powder often, it just seemed to fit.

BTW, by the time that recipe was posted to the rfc website, several
people had suggested the addition of garlic. So when I wrote it out for
the website it was a sort of "if you want to add garlic" thought.

I don't care for garlic in that soup. It wasn't what I was going for.
I love garlic. But as with olive oil, not in *everything*!

I really do think the tarragon makes the soup. My first attempt, it was
good but there was something missing. So I read a bunch of recipes for
squash soup. There were/are a lot of them! I saw several recipes
mentioned tarragon with butternut squash. What the heck, I added some
tarragon to my next attempt. Perfect!

> Her soup is a definite blue ribbon winner.
> Anyone here that hasn't tried it should, for sure.
> Will I make it again? a definite YES
> Will I make a few changes next time? NONE
>
> Gary

Thank you for the soup appreciation, Gary! I just love this soup and
I'm glad you (and others) have enjoyed it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 22:47:21 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I bought some. Now what to do with it? I was reading up about it and also
> watched an episode of whatever show Nick Stellino is on where he talked
> about it. He said that if you roast, boil or turn it into soup, the flavors
> will all be different. Makes sense.
>
> And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to! Costco
> had it peeled and cubed so all I have to do is figure out what to do with
> it. I am thinking to roast it. If you make it this way, how do you do
> yours? When I tried it before, I think I just cut it in slices and left the
> skin on. May have used salt and pepper and maybe olive oil. But the end
> result was not tasty. I want tasty!

Julie, you can buy it peeled and cubed in any grocery store. You talk
about not being able to "afford" certain things, well - buying already
prepared apples and squash is a big clue about why.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 15:18:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 22:47:21 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>I bought some. Now what to do with it? I was reading up about it and
> >>also
> >>watched an episode of whatever show Nick Stellino is on where he talked
> >>about it. He said that if you roast, boil or turn it into soup, the
> >>flavors
> >>will all be different. Makes sense.
> >>
> >>And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to!
> >>Costco
> >>had it peeled and cubed so all I have to do is figure out what to do with
> >>it. I am thinking to roast it. If you make it this way, how do you do
> >>yours? When I tried it before, I think I just cut it in slices and left
> >>the
> >>skin on. May have used salt and pepper and maybe olive oil. But the end
> >>result was not tasty. I want tasty!

> > I don't like it boiled and mashed.
> >
> > It is amazingly good roasted though. I like to cut it up along with
> > some carrots and potatoes, drizzle with olive oil and spread it on a
> > tray to roast. Delicious with the caramelized outside.

> Thanks! I found a recipe from Ina Garten for caramelized. It uses 1/4 cup
> of brown sugar for 2 pounds of squash. I think I will try that but will use
> brown sugar Splenda and probably far less of it.

You don't need sugar to caramelize it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 04:53:26 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> wrote:

> On Monday, October 14, 2013 1:47:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to!

> Is there a good way to peel butternut squash? I've always struggled.

Your vegetable peeler will do wonders.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 09:33:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 04:53:26 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> > wrote:
>
> >On Monday, October 14, 2013 1:47:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to!

> >Is there a good way to peel butternut squash? I've always struggled.
> >
> >http://www.richardfisher.com

> I use a peeler that you pull rather than a knife. Not as easy as a
> potato, but not difficult.

I don't bother to pull. I do what I have to do to get it started, but
after that - it all depends on how tired I am of doing it in one
direction or the other... and switch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

I bought some. Now what to do with it? I was reading up about it and also
watched an episode of whatever show Nick Stellino is on where he talked
about it. He said that if you roast, boil or turn it into soup, the flavors
will all be different. Makes sense.

And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to! Costco
had it peeled and cubed so all I have to do is figure out what to do with
it. I am thinking to roast it. If you make it this way, how do you do
yours? When I tried it before, I think I just cut it in slices and left the
skin on. May have used salt and pepper and maybe olive oil. But the end
result was not tasty. I want tasty!

Here's a recipe that I heard about somewhere. Not sure where. But I made it
this weekend (for 2). Cube up squash(1"). I used one cup. Put in microwave,
on high for 4 minutes. Set aside.

Cut up about 4 ounces of chanterelles. Sauté them in butter. When liquid has
dried, add pepper and set aside.

Boil up 2 ounces of pasta(I used small curly ones). Set aside.

When you are ready to serve dinner, put 3TBSP of unsalted butter in 10"
sauté pan. Heat on medium high, until browned(not burned). Immediately lower
heat and add the squash. While sautéing, add 1 tsp of ground cumin, and a
half tsp of salt. Sauté until squash starts to turn brown and caramelize.
Immediately add the pasta and stir completely. Then add the chanterelles and
stir again. Add pepper to taste, and serve.

Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I bought some. Now what to do with it?
>>
>> And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to!
>> Costco
>> had it peeled and cubed so all I have to do is figure out what to do with
>> it. I am thinking to roast it. If you make it this way, how do you do
>> yours?

> You say you are trying to save money but you buy so many prepared
> foods and certainly pay dearly for what you get. Roasted is best,
> imo, but maybe not roasting cubes...they might turn out too dry.

But this came from Costco and most food from Costco is cheap. Don't forget,
if I have to dispose of guts and peels from food, I have to use a Biobag and
those aren't cheap!

> I bought whole butternut squash a few days ago (on sale for .79/lb).
> I just split it down the middle, scooped out the seeds, coated with
> olive oil, then put it face down on a foiled cookie sheet for 75
> minutes in a 350F oven. Came out browned and delicious!

I tried something like that before but cut it in slices. We didn't like it.
Just no flavor. Maybe I got a bad squash?

> I tasted a bite first and I could have eaten all just like that but I
> used it to make Jill's "Roasted Butternut Squash Soup."
> http://www.recfoodcooking.org/sigs/J...sh%20Soup.html
>
> I made it yesterday just as written and *absolutely* loved it. oh man!
> Jill mentioned to add a little garlic if desired. I didn't but halfway
> through my second bowl, I did add a little garlic powder just to see
> how that tasted. I didn't like it. It distracted from the original
> soup.
>
> Her soup is a definite blue ribbon winner.
> Anyone here that hasn't tried it should, for sure.
> Will I make it again? a definite YES
> Will I make a few changes next time? NONE
>
> Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 15:18:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> > On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 22:47:21 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > I don't like it boiled and mashed.
>> >
>> > It is amazingly good roasted though. I like to cut it up along with
>> > some carrots and potatoes, drizzle with olive oil and spread it on a
>> > tray to roast. Delicious with the caramelized outside.

>> Thanks! I found a recipe from Ina Garten for caramelized. It uses 1/4
>> cup
>> of brown sugar for 2 pounds of squash. I think I will try that but will
>> use
>> brown sugar Splenda and probably far less of it.

> You don't need sugar to caramelize it.

I know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 22:47:21 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I bought some. Now what to do with it? I was reading up about it and
>> also
>> watched an episode of whatever show Nick Stellino is on where he talked
>> about it. He said that if you roast, boil or turn it into soup, the
>> flavors
>> will all be different. Makes sense.
>>
>> And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to!
>> Costco
>> had it peeled and cubed so all I have to do is figure out what to do with
>> it. I am thinking to roast it. If you make it this way, how do you do
>> yours? When I tried it before, I think I just cut it in slices and left
>> the
>> skin on. May have used salt and pepper and maybe olive oil. But the end
>> result was not tasty. I want tasty!

> Julie, you can buy it peeled and cubed in any grocery store. You talk
> about not being able to "afford" certain things, well - buying already
> prepared apples and squash is a big clue about why.

I never said I couldn't afford things! And I didn't buy it at a grocery
store but Coscto. So it was cheap. Nobody will eat apples that are not
prepared. So if I bought whole ones they would go to waste. Don't tell me
about the apple cutter or even using a knife. We have both. I also have
Fruit Fresh. Or I did. Probably don't any more. Nobody wants to bother
with that. Already cut, preserved and in individual bags? That's what they
want. So that's what they'll get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>
> I bought some. Now what to do with it? I was reading up about it and
> also
> watched an episode of whatever show Nick Stellino is on where he talked
> about it. He said that if you roast, boil or turn it into soup, the
> flavors
> will all be different. Makes sense.
>
> And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to!
> Costco
> had it peeled and cubed so all I have to do is figure out what to do with
> it. I am thinking to roast it. If you make it this way, how do you do
> yours? When I tried it before, I think I just cut it in slices and left
> the
> skin on. May have used salt and pepper and maybe olive oil. But the end
> result was not tasty. I want tasty!
>
> Here's a recipe that I heard about somewhere. Not sure where. But I made
> it this weekend (for 2). Cube up squash(1"). I used one cup. Put in
> microwave, on high for 4 minutes. Set aside.
>
> Cut up about 4 ounces of chanterelles. Sauté them in butter. When liquid
> has dried, add pepper and set aside.
>
> Boil up 2 ounces of pasta(I used small curly ones). Set aside.
>
> When you are ready to serve dinner, put 3TBSP of unsalted butter in 10"
> sauté pan. Heat on medium high, until browned(not burned). Immediately
> lower heat and add the squash. While sautéing, add 1 tsp of ground cumin,
> and a half tsp of salt. Sauté until squash starts to turn brown and
> caramelize. Immediately add the pasta and stir completely. Then add the
> chanterelles and stir again. Add pepper to taste, and serve.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 23:15:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> > I bought whole butternut squash a few days ago (on sale for .79/lb).
> > I just split it down the middle, scooped out the seeds, coated with
> > olive oil, then put it face down on a foiled cookie sheet for 75
> > minutes in a 350F oven. Came out browned and delicious!

> I tried something like that before but cut it in slices. We didn't like it.
> Just no flavor. Maybe I got a bad squash?

Try seasoning it next time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 23:15:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> > I bought whole butternut squash a few days ago (on sale for .79/lb).
>> > I just split it down the middle, scooped out the seeds, coated with
>> > olive oil, then put it face down on a foiled cookie sheet for 75
>> > minutes in a 350F oven. Came out browned and delicious!

>> I tried something like that before but cut it in slices. We didn't like
>> it.
>> Just no flavor. Maybe I got a bad squash?

> Try seasoning it next time.

Pretty sure I used salt and pepper but I don't think they achieved
caramelization.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 15:17:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message

> >> I tried something like that before but cut it in slices. We didn't like
> >> it.
> >> Just no flavor. Maybe I got a bad squash?

> > Try seasoning it next time.

> Pretty sure I used salt and pepper but I don't think they achieved
> caramelization.

I bake mine for way less than 75 minutes so I use at least 400°, 425 F
is even better. Caramelisation happens where the squash and the pan
meet, so don't forget to turn them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2013 11:57 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 23:15:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>> I bought whole butternut squash a few days ago (on sale for .79/lb).
>>> I just split it down the middle, scooped out the seeds, coated with
>>> olive oil, then put it face down on a foiled cookie sheet for 75
>>> minutes in a 350F oven. Came out browned and delicious!

>> I tried something like that before but cut it in slices. We didn't like it.
>> Just no flavor. Maybe I got a bad squash?

> Try seasoning it next time.

A little salt & pepper does wonders!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 15:17:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 23:15:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > Try seasoning it next time.

>> Pretty sure I used salt and pepper but I don't think they achieved
>> caramelization.

> I bake mine for way less than 75 minutes so I use at least 400°, 425 F
> is even better. Caramelisation happens where the squash and the pan
> meet, so don't forget to turn them.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Crispy baked butternut squash skins are the best part.

Kind-of along the lines of potato skins? Hmmm. That sounds like
something that would be worth a try.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 14, 2013 12:47:21 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> I bought some. Now what to do with it? I was reading up about it and also
>
> watched an episode of whatever show Nick Stellino is on where he talked
>
> about it. He said that if you roast, boil or turn it into soup, the flavors
>
> will all be different. Makes sense.
>

> And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to! Costco
>
> had it peeled and cubed so all I have to do is figure out what to do with
>
> it. I am thinking to roast it. If you make it this way, how do you do
>
> yours? When I tried it before, I think I just cut it in slices and left the
>
> skin on. May have used salt and pepper and maybe olive oil. But the end
>
> result was not tasty. I want tasty!

Oh for Chrissakes, why are you so stupid! Just make the ****in' squash, eat it, and shut the **** up about it. What's next, you will buy an apple from the store and ask "what's the best way to eat this?" Oh wait, don't tell me, you don't like them! Or your pile of shit daughter won't eat them! Or you do like them, you just have to peel them first! Or this, or that, ad nauseum. Just go the **** away, you boring old fat pile of bat dung.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 14, 2013 7:45:39 AM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 04:53:26 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
>
> > wrote:
>

> >On Monday, October 14, 2013 1:47:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> And after learning how to peel it, I found out that I don't have to!

> >Is there a good way to peel butternut squash? I've always struggled.

> Why would you want to peel it, butternut squash skin is perfectly
>
> edible. And if you want to use just the flesh for a recipe bake the
>
> squash until the skin is crisp, scoop out the flesh with a spoon and
>
> eat the skin.

I agree, the crisp skin is delicious. Probably has lots of nice fiber, too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

To peel a butternut, slice it into circles about an inch thick, then each slice is easily peeled with a paring knife.

I like it oven roasted. I cut potatoes, butternut, carrots, onions, and cabbage into chunks, marinate in a combination of Italian salad dressing and a little extra garlic. Remove from marinade and spread on an oiled cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F till done, stirring once or twice, for about an hour. The onions carmelize nicely.

The squirrels feast on the leftover seeds.