Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

pete the lying shitbag troll lied:
> On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:24:42 -0800, Rudy Canoza
> > wrote:
>
>> pete the lying shitbag troll lied:
>>> On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:11:35 -0000, "Jim Webster"

>>> The statement is based on fact

>> Prove it

> Yeah sure. The signs are there Rudy but I'm not sure you're bright
> enough to see the barn door!
>
> 'The European parliament has stated that 'Europe can feed its
> people but not its animals'

Does not support the claim.

> (In the US 70% of grain is consumed by livestock. )

Prove it.

> "... to satisfy your addiction to animal fat." ...

Not the issue. The issue is how much grain is fed to
livestock.

> WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?
>
> The UN Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) estimates that around
> 840 million people are undernourished.

That wouldn't change if we stopped growing grain for
livestock.

> Land availability is one of the main constraints on food production.

THEIR land availability, not ours.

> The earth has only a limited area of viable agricultural land, so how
> this land is used is central to our ability to feed the world. At the
> moment, the problem is not lack of food - it is widely agreed that
> enough food is produced worldwide to feed a global population of 8-10
> billion people - but lack of availability. Poverty, powerlessness,
> war, corruption and greed all conspire to prevent equal access to
> food, and there are no simple solutions to the problem.

Stopping the cultivation of feed grain wouldn't change
that in the least.

> Hower, Western lifestyles - and diet in particular - can play a
> large part in depriving the world's poor of much needed food.

No. Only if you assume we were going to take the land
currently used to produce livestock feed, and use it
instead to produce food for "poor starving African",
and *GIVE* it to them for free, does our diet play any
role at all.

> In 1900 just over 10% of the total grain grown worldwide was fed to
> animals; by 1950 this figure had risen to over 20%; by the late 1990s
> it stood at around 45%. Over 60% of US grain is fed to livestock. [6]

So, *far* from "the lion's share". That poxed whore
lesley lied, and you bought it. You're a chump.

> This use of the world's grain harvest would be acceptable in terms of
> world food production if it were not for the fact that meat and dairy
> production is a notoriously inefficient use of energy.

The same old tired and invalid argument. This
fundamentally misapplies "efficiency". It is not
"inefficient" to produce meat and dairy products. What
would be inefficient would be if we weren't producing
them at their lowest possible cost.

> Feedlot-raised beef is an extreme example, being the least
> feed-efficient animal product

Same problem with misuse.

> Efficiency can also be measured in terms of the land required per
> calorie of food obtained.

Absolutely the wrong concept of efficiency. People
don't want mere calories; they want different foods,
according to their own preferences.
Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

Julie wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:24:42 -0800, Rudy Canoza
> > wrote:
>
>> pete the lying shitbag troll lied:
>>> On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:11:35 -0000, "Jim Webster"

>>> The statement is based on fact

>> Prove it

> Sure. Straight from the United Nations themselves.
>
> The UN advises us to go veggie if we want to save the planet:
> Livestock’s long shadow Environmental issues and options
>
> Livestock’s long shadow
> Environmental issues and options
>

> [snip lying shitbag troll pete's shit-hemorrhage]

Not a proof of anything except your inability to stay
on topic. That paper addressed environmental issues,
not "efficiency".
Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 11:19:31 -0800, Rudy Canoza
> wrote:

>pete the lying shitbag troll lied:
>> On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:24:42 -0800, Rudy Canoza
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> pete the lying shitbag troll lied:

>>> Prove it

>> Yeah sure. The signs are there Rudy but I'm not sure you're bright
>> enough to see the barn door!
>>
>> 'The European parliament has stated that 'Europe can feed its
>> people but not its animals'

>Does not support the claim.

Go away dodo you are incapable of basic schooling.
Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

pete the lying shitbag troll lied:
> On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 11:19:31 -0800, Rudy Canoza
> > wrote:
>
>> pete the lying shitbag troll lied:
>>> On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:24:42 -0800, Rudy Canoza

>>> Yeah sure. The signs are there Rudy but I'm not sure you're bright
>>> enough to see the barn door!
>>>
>>> 'The European parliament has stated that 'Europe can feed its
>>> people but not its animals'

>> Does not support the claim.

> Go away

Not going anywhere, lying shitbag pete. I'm staying
here, and you'll take it and you'll like it.
Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 11:27:26 -0800, Rudy Canoza
> wrote:

>pete the lying shitbag troll lied:
>> On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 11:19:31 -0800, Rudy Canoza
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> pete the lying shitbag troll lied:

>>> Does not support the claim.

>> Go away

>Not going anywhere, lying shitbag pete. I'm staying
>here, and you'll take it and you'll like it.

Could you at least take a wash then, the stench is quite overpowering.

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

pete the lying shitbag troll lied:
> On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 11:27:26 -0800, Rudy Canoza
> > wrote:
>
>> pete the lying shitbag troll lied:
>>> On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 11:19:31 -0800, Rudy Canoza

>>> Go away

>> Not going anywhere, lying shitbag pete. I'm staying
>> here, and you'll take it and you'll like it.

> Could you at least take a wash then, the stench is quite overpowering.

Not even lamely amusing, lying shitbag troll pete; just
stupid.

You're as much an unserious lifelong jerk-off as runny
hamilton, pete - an insignificant, impotent, worthless
little jerk-off. A complete marginal.
Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

"Jim Webster" > wrote in message ...

> "pearl" > wrote in message

> >> evidence for that statement please

> > 'The European parliament has stated that 'Europe can feed its
> > people but not its animals'.

> which is not evidence for the statement

Evidence that Europe relies on imports for the meat habit.

> Europe imports 70% of its protein
> > for animal feed .

> which is not evidence for the statement

Evidence the lion's share of imported protein is for meat.

> > this is on top of using large proportions of
> > its own arable land. Much of these imported feedstuffs come
> > from countries suffering from poverty or environmental
> > degradation. 95% of world soyabean production is used for
> > animal feed.

> which is not evidence fora statement "lion's share of grain and land is used
> to feed animals"

Evidence the lion's share of soybeans is for animal flesh,
& severe adverse impact on people and the evironment.

> In the UK, 39% of our wheat, 51% of our barley
> > and 75% of our total agricultural land is used to feed animals.
> > ..'
> > http://www.ivu.org/congress/2002/texts/david2.html

+ 442,000 tons imported maize (a *grain*). Source:
http://www.nigta.co.uk/content/news/pr070702.htm .

*European* frozen corn consumption amounts to
110,000 tons a year. Source:
http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/summ...99-1967576_ITM

Reckon we've reached "the lion's share of grain" yet?

> > (In the US 70% of grain is consumed by livestock. )

> yes but you haven't covered Brazil, China or India, never mind Aus and
> Canada

'In the most populous nation in the world, China, the share
of grain fed to livestock increased between 1978 and 1997
from 8 percent to 26 percent.(8) In the early 1990s, China
was a net exporter of grain, but today, thanks to an increasing
appetite for meat, China is the world's second largest grain
importer, trailing only Japan. (9)

"As Chinese eat more grain-fed meat, the country's need for
grain will continue to grow. This . . . could quickly make
China the world's leading grain importer, overtaking even
Japan . . . potentially disrupting world grain markets . . .
meaning rising food prices for the entire world. . . . China
cannot import the grain it needs without driving world grain
prices up, leaving the 1.3 billion people in the world who
subsist on $1 a day at risk." - Worldwatch Institute (10)

If food prices rise throughout the world, the wealthy will still
eat, but the poor will increasingly be left with nowhere to turn.
In recent years, grain prices have been kept reasonably stable
only through massive overpumping of aquifers worldwide for
irrigation. But as a result, water tables are now falling rapidly
throughout the world's agriculturally productive areas -
including China, India, and the United States, which together
produce half the world's food. The International Water
Management Institute, the world's premier water research
group, estimates that India's grain harvest may before long
be reduced by one-fourth as a result of aquifer depletion. (11)

Thirty years ago, the U.S.S.R. was self-sufficient in grain; but
in the 1990s, the former Soviet Union became the world's third
largest grain importer. Russian livestock now eat three times as
much grain as Russian people.(12) Hardly existent in Russia 20
years ago, hunger and human starvation are now widespread
and severe.

Throughout the world, increases in grain-fed livestock have
forced countries to import more feed. Twenty years ago,
only 1 percent of Thailand's grain was fed to animals. Today
the figure has risen to 30 percent.(13) At the same time, a
growing number of people in Thailand and throughout Asia
live on the perilous edge of food deprivation. Millions are
dying from lack of adequate food. Many watch their children
starve.

Vandana Shiva is the director of the Research Foundation
for Science, Technology, and Natural Resource Policy, and
one of the world's foremost experts on global food issues.
She says we are seeing "the McDonaldization of the world.
.. . . As more grain is traded globally, more people go hungry
in the Third World." (14)

Middle Eastern countries similarly maintain high levels of meat
consumption only by depending heavily on imported grain.
Twenty years ago, Egypt was self-sufficient in grain. Then,
livestock ate only 10 percent of the nation's grain. Today,
livestock consume 36 percent of Egypt's grain, and the country
must import 8 million tons every year. (15) Jordan now imports
91 percent of its grain, Israel 87 percent, Libya 85 percent, and
Saudi Arabia 50 percent. (16)

As livestock industries pour grain into producing animal products
for the wealthy, almost all Third World nations must now import
grain. That more and more countries are looking to the world
market for food can only translate into food scarcity for the
world's poor.

Remarkably, the world's nations depend massively on one nation
for grain. The United States is responsible for half of the world's
grain exports, shipping grain to more than 100 countries. Yet the
U.S. grain harvest is notoriously sensitive to climate conditions,
including droughts. In a time of global warming and climate
destabilization, the possibility of a weather-induced drop in U.S.
grain harvest is all too real.(17) And with the depletion of the
Ogallala aquifer, experts are predicting that before long the United
States will lose much, if not all, of its grain surplus.(18) With the
world's agricultural economy devouring rapidly increasing
quantities of grain for livestock production, the consequences to
the world's less fortunate people could be tragic.

"Higher meat consumption among the affluent frequently creates
problems for the poor, as the share of farmland devoted to feed
cultivation expands, reducing production of food staples. In the
economic competition for grain fields, the upper classes usually
win." - Worldwatch Institute (19)
.........................'
http://www.celsias.com/2007/11/22/fo...hunger-part-i/

> > "... to satisfy your addiction to animal fat." ...

> not my addiction, my Chinese

Yours, theirs..

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

"pearl" > wrote in message
> "Jim Webster" > wrote in message

>> > 'The European parliament has stated that 'Europe can feed its
>> > people but not its animals'.

>> which is not evidence for the statement

> Evidence that Europe relies on imports for the meat habit.

which isn't what you claimed "lion's share of grain and land is used to feed
animals,"

>> Europe imports 70% of its protein
>> > for animal feed .

>> which is not evidence for the statement

> Evidence the lion's share of imported protein is for meat.

which isn't what you claimed "lion's share of grain and land is used to feed
animals," No mention of protein at all

>> > this is on top of using large proportions of
>> > its own arable land. Much of these imported feedstuffs come
>> > from countries suffering from poverty or environmental
>> > degradation. 95% of world soyabean production is used for
>> > animal feed.

>> which is not evidence fora statement "lion's share of grain and land is
>> used
>> to feed animals"

> Evidence the lion's share of soybeans is for animal flesh,
> & severe adverse impact on people and the evironment.

"lion's share of grain and land is used to feed animals," no mention of
protein at all

>> In the UK, 39% of our wheat, 51% of our barley
>> > and 75% of our total agricultural land is used to feed animals.
>> > ..'
>> > http://www.ivu.org/congress/2002/texts/david2.html

> + 442,000 tons imported maize (a *grain*). Source:
> http://www.nigta.co.uk/content/news/pr070702.htm .
>
> *European* frozen corn consumption amounts to
> 110,000 tons a year. Source:
> http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/summ...99-1967576_ITM
>
> Reckon we've reached "the lion's share of grain" yet?

No, because you still haven't covered Former soviet union, China and India
never mind entire Americas

>> > (In the US 70% of grain is consumed by livestock. )

>> yes but you haven't covered Brazil, China or India, never mind Aus and
>> Canada

> 'In the most populous nation in the world, China, the share
> of grain fed to livestock increased between 1978 and 1997
> from 8 percent to 26 percent.(8)

26% now the lions share?

>> > "... to satisfy your addiction to animal fat." ...

>> not my addiction, my Chinese

not my addiction, my Chinese customers new found love.

After generations of being trapped in vegetarianism by poverty they have
broken free and in their
prosperity are eating more meat, Lord love 'em.

Jim Webster

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.business.agriculture

"Tim Lamb" > wrote in message
> In message >, David G. Bell
> > writes

>>Nitrogen fixing in legumes is down to a bacteria, isn't it? You might
>>have the GM both the wheat plant and the bacteria, and that's really
>>going to be popular.

> How about improving couch grass to give a useful yield of edible seed:-)

And a fibre producing stem as well?

Jim Webster

> regards
>>

> --
> Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

"Jim Webster" > wrote in message ...

> "pearl" > wrote in message

> >> which is not evidence for the statement

> > Evidence that Europe relies on imports for the meat habit.

> which isn't what you claimed "lion's share of grain and land is used to feed
> animals,"

In the UK.

> >> Europe imports 70% of its protein
> >>
> >> which is not evidence for the statement

> > Evidence the lion's share of imported protein is for meat.

> which isn't what you claimed "lion's share of grain and land is used to feed
> animals," No mention of protein at all

Grain.. protein.. land..

> >> which is not evidence fora statement "lion's share of grain and land is
> >> used
> >> to feed animals"

> > Evidence the lion's share of soybeans is for animal flesh,
> > & severe adverse impact on people and the evironment.

> "lion's share of grain and land is used to feed animals," no mention of
> protein at all

Protein isn't significant? People and the environment? Jim?

> >> In the UK, 39% of our wheat, 51% of our barley

> > + 442,000 tons imported maize (a *grain*). Source:
> > http://www.nigta.co.uk/content/news/pr070702.htm .
> >
> > *European* frozen corn consumption amounts to
> > 110,000 tons a year. Source:
> > http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/summ...99-1967576_ITM
> >
> > Reckon we've reached "the lion's share of grain" yet?

> No, because you still haven't covered Former soviet union, China and India
> never mind entire Americas

That's the situation in 'developed' countries, and the trend elsewhere.
It's a fundamentally unsustainable system, and predictably crashing.

> >> yes but you haven't covered Brazil, China or India, never mind Aus and
> >> Canada

> > 'In the most populous nation in the world, China, the share
> > of grain fed to livestock increased between 1978 and 1997
> > from 8 percent to 26 percent.(8)

> 26% now the lions share?

It doesn't need to be.

"As Chinese eat more grain-fed meat, the country's need for
grain will continue to grow. This . . . could quickly make
China the world's leading grain importer, overtaking even
Japan . . . potentially disrupting world grain markets . . .
meaning rising food prices for the entire world. . . . China
cannot import the grain it needs without driving world grain
prices up, leaving the 1.3 billion people in the world who
subsist on $1 a day at risk." - Worldwatch Institute (10)'

.... from the very hard truths you uncomfortably snipped.

> >> not my addiction, my Chinese

> not my addiction, my Chinese customers new found love.

Your addiction, and theirs.

> After generations of being trapped in vegetarianism by poverty

'China has developed a unique system of decentralized planning
which has recently incorporated private initiative in agriculture,
industry, and trade. From the early 1950s to the mid-1970s the
Chinese government had strict control over agricultural
production and trade. It gave priority to staple foods over
preferred foods (legumes, meats, fruits) in order to ensure an
adequate supply of essential grain for all provinces. Until
recently government policy favored direct consumption of
grain over consumption of animal products requiring feedgrains
(Jamison and Piazza, 1987). However, policy has changed
markedly in the last few years. With the consolidation of the
new 'production responsibility system' the government expects
a rapid growth in the livestock sector (World Bank, 1985).
Cattle production will be limited by the carrying capacity of
China's grasslands, which are already overgrazed. Poultry and
pig production are more dependent on the availability of feed
concentrates. Such production has been increasing for the last
ten years, and there is now a concern that it might be necessary
to monitor the consumption of high-animal-fat food to prevent
deleterious effects both economic and nutritional.
....'
http://www.mcspotlight.org/media/rep...ll_china2.html

> they have
> broken free and in their
> prosperity are eating more meat, Lord love 'em.

08/06/2006 -
China's Meat Association will jointly organize a seminar in Beijing
next month with the World Meat Organization to discuss China's
meat development strategy and promotion of meat consumption.
...'
http://www.meatprocess.com/news/ng.a...288-china-meat

'In many developing nations there has been a rapid increase in the
incidence of cardiovascular disease, obesity, diabetes, lung cancer
and a host of other health disorders concomitant with a rise in
economic affluence (Pellett, 1989). In contrast with the
communicable and infectious diseases affecting the rural poor,
the more economically privileged urban sectors in these countries
suffer from a rising prevalence of chronic degenerative diseases
appropriately referred to as 'diseases of misdevelopment' by
Dumont (1989). Not only do these chronic diseases have a
debilitating effect on a productive segment of the active elite but
also the costs of treating these diseases tend to absorb a
disproportionate share of the public health resources in favor of
an already privileged social group. It is therefore of utmost
importance to developing nations to avoid creating a new and
costly pathology soon after emerging from the scourge of
infectious and nutritional deficiency diseases (Pellett, 1989).
...'
http://www.mcspotlight.org/media/rep...ll_china2.html

'Water tables are dipping throughout the northern half of the country.
As aquifers are emptied and irrigation wells go dry, farmers either
revert to low-yield dryland fanning or, in the more arid regions,
abandon it altogether. In the competition for water, cities and
industry invariably get first claim, leaving farmers with a shrinking
share of a shrinking supply. Losing water often means losing land.
Farmers are forfeiting real estate for other reasons as well. Expanding
deserts, such as the Gobi, which is consuming 4,000 square miles of
new territory each year, are devouring farmland. Paying farmers in
the north and west to plant their grainland to trees in an effort to halt
the advancing deserts is another factor reducing the grain area.
In a country where farms average an acre and a half, a shift is under
way to higher value fruits and vegetables to boost income. In each
of the last 11 years, the area in fruits and vegetables has increased.
China is the first major grain-producing country where a combination
of environmental and economic trends have combined to reverse the
historical growth in production. This decline in a country containing
more than one-fifth of the world's population undoubtedly will trigger
global effects. For instance, China's likely need for such imports of
grain comes at a time when world stocks already are at their lowest
level in 30 years and U.S. farmers are losing irrigation water to aquifer
depletion and cities.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...32/ai_n6021789

Wake up, Jim. Your dream is really and truly a hellish nightmare.

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

"pearl" > wrote in message
> "Jim Webster" > wrote in message

>> > Evidence that Europe relies on imports for the meat habit.

>> which isn't what you claimed "lion's share of grain and land is used to
>> feed
>> animals,"

> In the UK.

next time qualify your statements, rather than making such far reaching
claims
So have you evidence for 2007 in the UK ?

>> > Evidence the lion's share of imported protein is for meat.

>> which isn't what you claimed "lion's share of grain and land is used to
>> feed
>> animals," No mention of protein at all

> Grain.. protein.. land..

oh dear, protein crops are such things as rape, soya,

To his friend Candidianus*
A. D. 468

[1] You congratulate me on my prolonged stay at Rome, though I note the
touch of irony, and your wit at my expense. You say you are glad your old
friend has at last seen the sun, since on the Saône his chances of |21 a
good look at it are few and far between. You abuse my misty Lyons,1 and
deplore the days so cloaked by morning fog that the full heat of noon can
scarcely unveil them. [2] Now does this nonsense fitly come from a native of
that oven of a town Cesena? You have shown your real opinion of your
charming and convenient natal soil by leaving it. The midges of Po may
pierce your ears; the city frogs may croak and swarm on every side, but you
know very well that you are better off in exile at Ravenna than at home. In
that marsh of yours the laws of everything are always the wrong way about;
the waters stand and the walls fall, the towers float and the ships stick
fast, the sick man walks and the doctor lies abed, the baths are chill and
the houses blaze, the dead swim and the quick are dry, the powers are asleep
and the thieves wide awake, the clergy live by usury and the Syrian chants
the Psalms, business men turn soldiers and soldiers business men, old
fellows play ball and young fellows hazard, eunuchs take to arms and rough
allies to letters.2 [3] And that is the kind of city you choose to settle
in, a place that may boast a territory but little solid ground. Be kinder,
therefore, to Transalpines who never provoked you; their climate wins too
cheap a triumph if it shines only by comparison with such as yours.
Farewell.

* Partly translated by Hodgkin, i. 860, and by Chaix, i. 273. Cf. Letter V.

>> > Evidence the lion's share of soybeans is for animal flesh,
>> > & severe adverse impact on people and the evironment.

>> "lion's share of grain and land is used to feed animals," no mention of
>> protein at all

> Protein isn't significant? People and the environment? Jim?

if it is so significant why did you ignore it? After all it is your wide
ranging unsubstantiated claim we are exploring

To his friend Campanianus
A. D. 468

[1] THE Intendant of Supplies 2 has personally presented the letter in which
you commend him as your old friend to my new judgement. I am greatly
indebted to him, but most of all to yourself for this evidence of your
resolve to assume my friendship certain and proof against all suspicion. I
welcome, I eagerly embrace this opportunity of acquaintance, and of
intimacy, since my desire to oblige you cannot but draw closer the bonds
which already unite us. [2] But please commend me in my turn to his vigilant
care, commend, that is, my cause and my repute. For I rather fear that there
may be an uproar in the theatres if the supplies of grain run short, and
that the hunger of all the Romans will be laid to my account. I am on the
point of dispatching him immediately to the harbour in person, because news
is to hand that five ships from Brindisi have put in at Ostia laden with
wheat and honey. |26 A stroke of energy on his part, and we should have
these cargoes ready in no time for the expectant crowds; he would win my
favour, I the people's, and he and I together yours. Farewell.

Jim Webster

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 13:15:13 -0000, "Jim Webster"
> wrote:

>"pearl" > wrote in message

>>> which isn't what you claimed "lion's share of grain and land is used to
>>> feed
>>> animals,"

>> In the UK.

>next time qualify your statements, rather than making such far reaching
>claims

Cant do any more than hand it to you on a plate. Don't blame others
for your unwillingness to listen. Try taking your hands away from your
head?

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

"Jim Webster" > wrote in message ...

> "pearl" > wrote in message

> >> which isn't what you claimed "lion's share of grain and land is used to
> >> feed
> >> animals,"

> > In the UK.

> next time qualify your statements, rather than making such far reaching
> claims

I didn't making a far reaching claim. You misunderstood.

> So have you evidence for 2007 in the UK ?

2008. ... desperate for feed... and there's heap big trouble ..

'Biofuels News
February 15, 2008

Europe facing meat crisis over GM wrangle

By Carl Mortished

Europe is facing a crisis in the supply of meat because of delays
and political resistance in Brussels to the use of genetically modified
protein in animal feed.

Shortages in grain for animal feed and soaring prices are wreaking
havoc in the livestock sector, causing pig and poultry farmers to
reduce their output, according to animal feed compounders and
livestock associations.

The problem has been identified in an internal European Union
report on the effect of EU policy towards the use of GM products
in animal feed. A failure by the EU to speed up the approval of GM
soya imports will significantly raise meat prices, an outcome that is
directly attributable to European policies, the report concludes.

Europe is struggling to find enough vegetable protein to feed its
livestock, causing feed prices to rise. The EU imports 80 per cent
of its feed protein needs - mainly new traits of GM soya and corn.

Outside Europe, farmers increasingly are turning to GM crop
varieties to get better yields, but the speed of the transition is
leaving Europe stranded with fewer sources of supply, the
European Feed Manufacturers Association (Fefa) said.

The problem is acute and is forcing farmers to cut back on the
number of animals they rear, raising the threat of reduced meat
supply. "We are looking at the collapse of the livestock industry,"
Alexander Doring, the association's secretary-general, said.

The emerging crisis over animal feed and meat supply is creating
conflict within the European Commission, setting the directorate-
general of agriculture against the health and environment
directorates, which are responsible for the approval of GM foods.

The row erupted last year when economists in the Commission's
agriculture directorate-general produced a report predicting a
catastrophic surge in the cost of animal feed if Europe continued
to delay the approval of new traits of genetically modified grain.
The imported protein feed, mainly soya and corn, is sourced from
the United States, Argentina and Brazil. New GM varieties are
being developed rapidly, but EU policies have imposed delays of
2 years in the approval of the new GM grains for consumption.
Moreover, the EU has adopted a zero-tolerance policy on GM,
meaning that a single grain of non-approved GMO in a shipment
can render it unfit for use.

A shift by American, Argentinian and Brazilian soya growers to
non-EU approved crops would lead to soaring feed prices. On a
worst-case scenario, the cost of feed would rise 600 per cent,
according to the report Economic impact of unapproved GMOs
on EU feed imports and livestock production.

"The short-term impacts in the pig meat and poultry sectors would
be a substantial reduction in production, exports and consumption,
and a very significant increase in imports," the report said. The cost
burden would affect employment and incomes in agriculture and
would lead to "significant increases in meat prices for consumers".
The threat emerges at a time when demand for grain is acute. Feed
prices have doubled in the past year, Tony Bell, of BOCM Pauls,
Britain's largest feed compounder, said. But the delays in approving
GM traits will worsen the tight cereal market.

The introduction of new GM maize traits in America means that the
EU can no longer import it. The extra cost burden on EU farmers is
expected to be ?3.6billion (£2.6billion) for 2007-08. Poultry producers
are facing a separate dilemma in the UK because supermarkets refuse
to accept chickens reared on GM feed. "The position of the retailers
is unsustainable," Peter Bradnock, chief executive of the British
Poultry Council, said.

"Initially, non-GM fed chickens will become much more expensive.
They will become scarcer, but eventually they won't be available.
We will not be able to supply them," he said.

The risk facing Europe is that its own livestock production will
dwindle, Mr Doring said, and it will be forced to import more meat
from Latin America and the United States.

The irony, he added, is that these imported animals will have been
fed almost exclusively on GM feed: "We are strangling our livestock
industry and the EU is increasing imports. The Brazilians are happy,
they can sell us chicken fed on GM."

© Copyright 2008 Times Newspapers Ltd.

http://www.checkbiotech.org/green_Ne...infoId=1697 2

It's reasonable to ask what the British meat-eating public would say
if they knew they'd been surreptitiously landed in a GM food-chain.

> >> which isn't what you claimed "lion's share of grain and land is used to
> >> feed
> >> animals," No mention of protein at all

> > Grain.. protein.. land..

> oh dear, protein crops are such things as rape, soya,

Yes, we know.

'Europe is struggling to find enough vegetable protein to feed its
livestock, causing feed prices to rise. The EU imports 80 per cent
of its feed protein needs - mainly new traits of GM soya and corn. '
ibid.

> To his friend Candidianus*
> A. D. 468
>
> [1] You congratulate me on my prolonged stay at Rome, though I note the
> touch of irony, and your wit at my expense. You say you are glad your old
> friend has at last seen the sun, since on the Saône his chances of |21 a
> good look at it are few and far between. You abuse my misty Lyons,1 and
> deplore the days so cloaked by morning fog that the full heat of noon can
> scarcely unveil them. [2] Now does this nonsense fitly come from a native of
> that oven of a town Cesena? You have shown your real opinion of your
> charming and convenient natal soil by leaving it. The midges of Po may
> pierce your ears; the city frogs may croak and swarm on every side, but you
> know very well that you are better off in exile at Ravenna than at home. In
> that marsh of yours the laws of everything are always the wrong way about;
> the waters stand and the walls fall, the towers float and the ships stick
> fast, the sick man walks and the doctor lies abed, the baths are chill and
> the houses blaze, the dead swim and the quick are dry, the powers are asleep
> and the thieves wide awake, the clergy live by usury and the Syrian chants
> the Psalms, business men turn soldiers and soldiers business men, old
> fellows play ball and young fellows hazard, eunuchs take to arms and rough
> allies to letters.2 [3] And that is the kind of city you choose to settle
> in, a place that may boast a territory but little solid ground. Be kinder,
> therefore, to Transalpines who never provoked you; their climate wins too
> cheap a triumph if it shines only by comparison with such as yours.
> Farewell.
>
> * Partly translated by Hodgkin, i. 860, and by Chaix, i. 273. Cf. Letter V.

> >> "lion's share of grain and land is used to feed animals," no mention of
> >> protein at all

> > Protein isn't significant? People and the environment? Jim?

> if it is so significant why did you ignore it?

That's the question *you* need to answer.

> After all it is your wide
> ranging unsubstantiated claim we are exploring

So, you're predictably going to lie in an effort to discredit the facts.

Unbelievable.

> To his friend Campanianus
> A. D. 468
>
> [1] THE Intendant of Supplies 2 has personally presented the letter in which
> you commend him as your old friend to my new judgement. I am greatly
> indebted to him, but most of all to yourself for this evidence of your
> resolve to assume my friendship certain and proof against all suspicion. I
> welcome, I eagerly embrace this opportunity of acquaintance, and of
> intimacy, since my desire to oblige you cannot but draw closer the bonds
> which already unite us. [2] But please commend me in my turn to his vigilant
> care, commend, that is, my cause and my repute. For I rather fear that there
> may be an uproar in the theatres if the supplies of grain run short, and
> that the hunger of all the Romans will be laid to my account. I am on the
> point of dispatching him immediately to the harbour in person, because news
> is to hand that five ships from Brindisi have put in at Ostia laden with
> wheat and honey. |26 A stroke of energy on his part, and we should have
> these cargoes ready in no time for the expectant crowds; he would win my
> favour, I the people's, and he and I together yours. Farewell.
>

> Jim Webster

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

"pearl" > wrote in message
> "Jim Webster" > wrote in message
>>
>> next time qualify your statements, rather than making such far reaching
>> claims

> I didn't making a far reaching claim. You misunderstood.

I just read the words you wrote

>> So have you evidence for 2007 in the UK ?

> 2008. ... desperate for feed... and there's heap big trouble ..

no so you don't actually have any figures for 2007 then to back up your
claim

>> oh dear, protein crops are such things as rape, soya,

> Yes, we know.

so your claim was just sloppy wording on your part

> 'Europe is struggling to find enough vegetable protein to feed its
> livestock, causing feed prices to rise. The EU imports 80 per cent
> of its feed protein needs - mainly new traits of GM soya and corn. '
> ibid.
>
>> To his friend Candidianus*
>> A. D. 468
>>
>> [1] You congratulate me on my prolonged stay at Rome, though I note the
>> touch of irony, and your wit at my expense. You say you are glad your old
>> friend has at last seen the sun, since on the Saône his chances of |21 a
>> good look at it are few and far between. You abuse my misty Lyons,1 and
>> deplore the days so cloaked by morning fog that the full heat of noon can
>> scarcely unveil them. [2] Now does this nonsense fitly come from a native
>> of
>> that oven of a town Cesena? You have shown your real opinion of your
>> charming and convenient natal soil by leaving it. The midges of Po may
>> pierce your ears; the city frogs may croak and swarm on every side, but
>> you
>> know very well that you are better off in exile at Ravenna than at home.
>> In
>> that marsh of yours the laws of everything are always the wrong way
>> about;
>> the waters stand and the walls fall, the towers float and the ships stick
>> fast, the sick man walks and the doctor lies abed, the baths are chill
>> and
>> the houses blaze, the dead swim and the quick are dry, the powers are
>> asleep
>> and the thieves wide awake, the clergy live by usury and the Syrian
>> chants
>> the Psalms, business men turn soldiers and soldiers business men, old
>> fellows play ball and young fellows hazard, eunuchs take to arms and
>> rough
>> allies to letters.2 [3] And that is the kind of city you choose to settle
>> in, a place that may boast a territory but little solid ground. Be
>> kinder,
>> therefore, to Transalpines who never provoked you; their climate wins too
>> cheap a triumph if it shines only by comparison with such as yours.
>> Farewell.
>>
>> * Partly translated by Hodgkin, i. 860, and by Chaix, i. 273. Cf. Letter
>> V.

>> > Protein isn't significant? People and the environment? Jim?

>> if it is so significant why did you ignore it?

> That's the question *you* need to answer.

ah, you mean it is only me that is responsible?
Surely it is the responsibility of everyone who uses scarce resources,
everyone who lives in a house, has food transported to them, uses
electricity, internet

There is a sustainable level of population and production

http://tinyurl.com/2q8wg3

Jim Webster

Jim Webster

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

In article >,
Jim Webster > wrote:

> "pearl" > wrote in message
> >
> > 'Annual crops, grown in conventional systems, demand that the soil
> > is cultivated. The very act of cultivating the soil serves to destroy
> > organic matter,

> now prove you understand what your talking about

> explain how a plough, a metal bar dragged through the soil, can destroy
> organic matter

> Jim Webster

I think it is fair to say that that action will pretty soon fundamentally
change the balance of the different types of bacteria and fungi there, in
terms of the loss of groundcover, increase in amount of air present,
drying out, exposure to sun at surface level etc.

Not that I think we have much choice to do things a lot different.

--
Regards from Bob Seago: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rjseago/
Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation
Oz Oz is offline

Robert Seago > writes
>In article >,
> Jim Webster > wrote:
>
>> "pearl" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > 'Annual crops, grown in conventional systems, demand that the soil
>> > is cultivated. The very act of cultivating the soil serves to destroy
>> > organic matter,

>> now prove you understand what your talking about

>> explain how a plough, a metal bar dragged through the soil, can destroy
>> organic matter

>> Jim Webster

>I think it is fair to say that that action will pretty soon fundamentally
>change the balance of the different types of bacteria and fungi there, in
>terms of the loss of groundcover, increase in amount of air present,
>drying out, exposure to sun at surface level etc.
>
>Not that I think we have much choice to do things a lot different.

The explanation is quite simple and well known in agriculture for
decades. I am rather surprised the ecofreaks can't immediately state
what happens and why.

--
Oz

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:33:21 +0000, Oz > wrote:

>Robert Seago > writes
>>In article >,
>> Jim Webster > wrote:

>>> now prove you understand what your talking about

>>> explain how a plough, a metal bar dragged through the soil, can destroy
>>> organic matter

>>> Jim Webster

>>I think it is fair to say that that action will pretty soon fundamentally
>>change the balance of the different types of bacteria and fungi there, in
>>terms of the loss of groundcover, increase in amount of air present,
>>drying out, exposure to sun at surface level etc.
>>
>>Not that I think we have much choice to do things a lot different.
>>

>The explanation is quite simple and well known in agriculture for
>decades. I am rather surprised the ecofreaks can't immediately state
>what happens and why.

I'd be more surprised if anyone bothered to reply to your stupid
questions that serve as a mere diversionary tactic, and a poor one at
that.

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

"Oz" > wrote in message
> Robert Seago > writes
>>In article >,
>> Jim Webster > wrote:

>>> now prove you understand what your talking about

>>> explain how a plough, a metal bar dragged through the soil, can destroy
>>> organic matter

>>> Jim Webster

>>I think it is fair to say that that action will pretty soon fundamentally
>>change the balance of the different types of bacteria and fungi there, in
>>terms of the loss of groundcover, increase in amount of air present,
>>drying out, exposure to sun at surface level etc.
>>
>>Not that I think we have much choice to do things a lot different.
>>

> The explanation is quite simple and well known in agriculture for
> decades. I am rather surprised the ecofreaks can't immediately state
> what happens and why.

ah but they've never actually ploughed
The first thing you do is actually increase the organic matter in the soil
as you turn the top over. Indeed with a good rotation you will add even more
organic matter, ploughing out of ley for example. Then again we are
specifically adding 3 tons to the acre of muck before the plough runs
through it as farmers have done whenever possible from time immemorial.

Jim Webster

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

pete the lying kiddie-fiddler lied:
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:33:21 +0000, Oz > wrote:
>
>> Robert Seago > writes

>>> I think it is fair to say that that action will pretty soon fundamentally
>>> change the balance of the different types of bacteria and fungi there, in
>>> terms of the loss of groundcover, increase in amount of air present,
>>> drying out, exposure to sun at surface level etc.
>>>
>>> Not that I think we have much choice to do things a lot different.
>>>

>> The explanation is quite simple and well known in agriculture for
>> decades. I am rather surprised the ecofreaks can't immediately state
>> what happens and why.

> I'd be more surprised if anyone bothered to reply to your stupid
> questions

That's really funny coming from you, pete.

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

On Mar 5, 2:26*pm, "pearl" > wrote:
> "Jim Webster" > wrote in ...
>
> > "pearl" > wrote in message

> > > 'Annual crops, grown in conventional systems, demand that the soil
> > > is cultivated. The very act of cultivating the soil serves to destroy
> > > organic matter,

> > now prove you understand what your talking about

> > explain how a plough, a metal bar dragged through the soil, can destroy
> > organic matter

> "Cultivation" also includes the application of agricides, in sum..
>
> ' kill[ing] much of the soil fauna and leav[ing] the soil at risk of
> erosion from wind and rain. The soil structure is damaged and,
> with continued cultivation, the sub-soil becomes very compacted
> and is unable to drain properly or allow roots to penetrate and
> obtain their nutrients. When it rains soil is washed away. Just go
> and stand in a country lane on a wet day and you will see all the
> muddy water flowing along the sides of the lane. This is our
> valuable top soil, being carried off to streams and thence to the
> sea.'

It's a very sad state of affairs!

> And let's not forget that the lion's share of grain and land is
> used to feed animals,

Sure, but let's also not forget that this is not being seriously
challenged. The issue I am interested in is whether vegan
diets are still more efficient for those whose diets are based
on food grown according to more responsible farming methods.

> to satisfy your addiction to animal fat.

I'm not addicted. I could stop just like that if you convinced
me it was the right thing to do. I have done it before, albeit
briefly and I could do it again, no problem.
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,uk.environment.conservation,uk.business.agriculture

On Mar 5, 7:18*am, "Jim Webster"
> wrote:
> "Buxqi" > wrote in message

> On Mar 4, 5:48 pm, Julie > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 17:38:15 -0000, "Jim Webster"

> Perhaps there is a way of maintaining adequate soil fertility on
> a large scale (it is easy enough to do on a small scale) without
> animals. If all the food waste that currently goes to landfill were
> to be used as compost instead would that work perhaps?
>
> -----------------
> It would be useful, but the problem is that as we waste 'only' a third of
> the food, then we would still need to replace at *least two thirds of the
> nutrients that go into making the food that is eaten.
> To a certain extent if we returned the sewage produced by the population to
> the land this would also go to help cover the gap left by the missing two
> thirds,

Oh now you mention it I do remember reading about a
self-sufficient, organic vegan community. They use human
compost and I assume it works effectively enough for them.
I'm not sure I'd want to eat their veggies though....

> althrough even here so of the food you eat actually goes to make
> 'more you'

That raises a question: Is it not the same with animal compost.
We eat the animals so their corpses don't get receycled. How
are all the nutrients returned to the soil?

> and whilst we could technically deal with that by shredding and
> recycling corpses as well I don't advocate that.

Mind you, our corpses are gradually recycled when we are
buried in the ground, are they not? Admittedly we get
buried in graveyards rather than farms but I suppose it
doesn't have to be that way....

> Because we import food, if all human sewage was returned to the land, then
> the land would probably gain fertility because we would import it with the
> food

Although that certainly wouldn't solve the issue globally...

> Jim Webster

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,uk.environment.conservation,uk.business.agriculture

On Mar 5, 4:43*pm, Julie > wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 16:03:34 -0800 (PST), Buxqi >
> wrote:
>

> >On Mar 4, 5:48*pm, Julie > wrote:
> >> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 17:38:15 -0000, "Jim Webster"

> >> It's quite painful to see the village idiots playing on their own..

> >> Which one are you. Judy?

> >From the evidence of this thread I think you should start taking
> >Jill and Jim more seriously.

> That would be hilarious even from a sock puppet! Neither are real
> farmers

Are you a farmer? If no does that prevent you from taking an
interest and trying to learn about where your food comes from?

> and neither have any interest in improving things for
> themselves or the planet.

Have they actually said as much. It may be that they care
but have a different opinion of what them and their planet
needs than you do.

> How can you take people like that seriously!

Because what they are saying is relevant to the debate and
they come across like they know what they are talking about.
Of course I'd have to do more independant research to be sure
but they certainly provide food for thought...
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,uk.environment.conservation,uk.business.agriculture

On Mar 4, 5:42*pm, Julie > wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 17:34:52 -0000, "Jill" >
> wrote:
>
> >Julie wrote:

> >> There will always be horses and other livestock. They just wont have
> >> to endure the suffering to feed fat faces like yours.

> >There might be horses, but there would be little else.
> >You do not breed if you do not cull.

> We'll have plenty of livestock for the next fifty years even if
> livestock farming was stopped.

Not likely.

> >Otherwise the country would be overpopulated with starving sheep.

> The farmers wont let them breed.

Would that be compatible with animal rights in your opinion?

> >[we have already managed to do that to our deer population]

> No we haven't. We have managed to artificially boost many wildlife
> especially deer by the constant slaughtering of them. This causes them
> to breed at maximum rates and constantly. It throws the whole natural
> cycle out of synch. You might think we have a deer problem but I can
> assure you the shooters don't!

Would a population of natural predators throw the whole natural
system out of synch the same way? If not, what is the relevant
difference between them and us?

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,uk.environment.conservation
Oz Oz is offline

Buxqi > writes

>Oh now you mention it I do remember reading about a
>self-sufficient, organic vegan community. They use human
>compost and I assume it works effectively enough for them.
>I'm not sure I'd want to eat their veggies though....

Veganism hasn't been about long enough to know how sustainable that is.
It took perhaps 1000 years to deplete the english downland and a few
hundred to deplete the breklands. Certainly if you do recycle all your
nutrients you can keep going for a very long time. What you can't do is
sell anything off (food, clothing, wood etc).

>> althrough even here so of the food you eat actually goes to make
>> 'more you'

>That raises a question: Is it not the same with animal compost.
>We eat the animals so their corpses don't get receycled. How
>are all the nutrients returned to the soil?

They mostly go out to sea (potassium) or get buried in landfill/burned
(phosphorus). For about 20 years we used large amounts of sewage sludge
here and that did provide significant nitrogen and phosphorus.

Personally I think it should be illegal NOT to spread ALL sewage sludge
onto land.

>> and whilst we could technically deal with that by shredding and
>> recycling corpses as well I don't advocate that.

>Mind you, our corpses are gradually recycled when we are
>buried in the ground, are they not? Admittedly we get
>buried in graveyards rather than farms but I suppose it
>doesn't have to be that way....

No. One could have human compost, with rather tight phytosanitary
controls I suspect.
Burning is bad because you lose many volatile elements, particularly
phosphorus.

>> Because we import food, if all human sewage was returned to the land, then
>> the land would probably gain fertility because we would import it with the
>> food

>Although that certainly wouldn't solve the issue globally...

Depends. There are vast deposits of potassium around the world, but high
grade phosphorus is a little limiting in the very long term (a few
hundred years). Of course the sea contains essentially unlimited
quantities of nearly every element.

--
Oz

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,uk.environment.conservation
Oz Oz is offline

Buxqi > writes

>Would a population of natural predators throw the whole natural system out
>of synch the same way? If not, what is the relevant difference between them
>and us?

In the UK wild populations of larger animals (say rabbits and bigger)
are controlled by starvation. Some places they may be controlled and of
course that's where you find well-fed and healthy wildlife populations
because the population density is relatively low.

--
Oz

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

"Buxqi" > wrote in message
On Mar 5, 2:26 pm, "pearl" > wrote:
> "Jim Webster" > wrote in
>
> > "pearl" > wrote in message

> > > 'Annual crops, grown in conventional systems, demand that the soil
> > > is cultivated. The very act of cultivating the soil serves to destroy
> > > organic matter,

> > now prove you understand what your talking about

> > explain how a plough, a metal bar dragged through the soil, can destroy
> > organic matter

> "Cultivation" also includes the application of agricides, in sum..
>
> ' kill[ing] much of the soil fauna and leav[ing] the soil at risk of
> erosion from wind and rain. The soil structure is damaged and,
> with continued cultivation, the sub-soil becomes very compacted
> and is unable to drain properly or allow roots to penetrate and
> obtain their nutrients. When it rains soil is washed away. Just go
> and stand in a country lane on a wet day and you will see all the
> muddy water flowing along the sides of the lane. This is our
> valuable top soil, being carried off to streams and thence to the
> sea.'

It's a very sad state of affairs!

And not actually true. We have discussed soil erosian in the UK on UBA many
times and it is not the major issue it is made out to be. The best way of
dealing with it is to leave certain land under grass and graze meat
producing animals on it.

> And let's not forget that the lion's share of grain and land is
> used to feed animals,

Sure, but let's also not forget that this is not being seriously
challenged.

Actually it is, Pearl couldn't actually come up with evidence to back her
claim which became far more equivocal

Jim Webster

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,uk.environment.conservation,uk.business.agriculture

"Buxqi" > wrote in message
On Mar 5, 7:18 am, "Jim Webster"
> wrote:
> "Buxqi" > wrote in message

> On Mar 4, 5:48 pm, Julie > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 17:38:15 -0000, "Jim Webster"

> Perhaps there is a way of maintaining adequate soil fertility on
> a large scale (it is easy enough to do on a small scale) without
> animals. If all the food waste that currently goes to landfill were
> to be used as compost instead would that work perhaps?
>
> -----------------
> It would be useful, but the problem is that as we waste 'only' a third of
> the food, then we would still need to replace at least two thirds of the
> nutrients that go into making the food that is eaten.
> To a certain extent if we returned the sewage produced by the population
> the land this would also go to help cover the gap left by the missing two
> thirds,

Oh now you mention it I do remember reading about a
self-sufficient, organic vegan community. They use human
compost and I assume it works effectively enough for them.
I'm not sure I'd want to eat their veggies though....

-------------
So how are you going to get the nutrients back into the soil,the laws of
thermodynamics are pretty pressing on this point, take something out, you
have to put it back.

> althrough even here so of the food you eat actually goes to make
> 'more you'

That raises a question: Is it not the same with animal compost.
We eat the animals so their corpses don't get receycled. How
are all the nutrients returned to the soil?
-=-----------------------

Your sewage, the same if you eat bread

> and whilst we could technically deal with that by shredding and
> recycling corpses as well I don't advocate that.

Mind you, our corpses are gradually recycled when we are
buried in the ground, are they not? Admittedly we get
buried in graveyards rather than farms but I suppose it
doesn't have to be that way....
--------------
Grave yards hardly help, it can be millennia before they are ploughed over
again

> Because we import food, if all human sewage was returned to the land, then
> the land would probably gain fertility because we would import it with the
> food

Although that certainly wouldn't solve the issue globally...
-----------------

No, the only thing that solves the issue globally is reducing population
It isn't the fact that an increased population needs to be fed, it is they
also want all the toys as well, which puts a strain on the worlds energy and
mineral resources, that is why you have to look at the big picture

Jim Webster

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,uk.environment.conservation,uk.business.agriculture

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation
Oz Oz is offline

Jim Webster > writes

>And not actually true. We have discussed soil erosian in the UK on UBA many
>times and it is not the major issue it is made out to be. The best way of
>dealing with it is to leave certain land under grass and graze meat
>producing animals on it.

Frankly england doesn't have a problem with excessive erosion.

Of course every landscape naturally has erosion and the english one is
no exception. If you wnat to see the erosion people get rightly agitated
about then you need to go to tropical and sub-tropical enviromments
where rainfall is very high and primodial forest is being removed (for
the first time notice).

The problems I have seen with erosion in england have all been
associated with walkers. Typically on fragile upland peats (peak
district in particular) and scree in the lake district. These can be
really severe locally.

--
Oz

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,uk.environment.conservation,uk.business.agriculture

Buxqi wrote:
> On Mar 5, 7:18 am, "Jim Webster"
> > wrote:
>> "Buxqi" > wrote in message

>> On Mar 4, 5:48 pm, Julie > wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 17:38:15 -0000, "Jim Webster"

>> Perhaps there is a way of maintaining adequate soil fertility on
>> a large scale (it is easy enough to do on a small scale) without
>> animals. If all the food waste that currently goes to landfill were
>> to be used as compost instead would that work perhaps?
>>
>> -----------------
>> It would be useful, but the problem is that as we waste 'only' a third of
>> the food, then we would still need to replace at least two thirds of the
>> nutrients that go into making the food that is eaten.
>> To a certain extent if we returned the sewage produced by the population to
>> the land this would also go to help cover the gap left by the missing two
>> thirds,

> Oh now you mention it I do remember reading about a
> self-sufficient, organic vegan community. They use human

In Iran, the one I read about

> compost and I assume it works effectively enough for them.
> I'm not sure I'd want to eat their veggies though....

You'd be best advised to do so: that's where they get their B12 from.

Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.business.agriculture

On Mar 3, 3:53 pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
> [...]
> product whose efficiency of production we want to
> consider is "food", i.e., undifferentiated food
> calories. Just as clearly, they are wrong. Humans
> don't consider all foods equal, and hence equally
> substitutable. As in debunking so much of "veganism",
> we can see this easily - laughably easily - by
> restricting our view to a strictly vegetarian diet,
> without introducing meat into the discussion at all.
> If "vegans" REALLY were interested in food production
> efficiency, they would be advocating the production of
> only a very small number of vegetable crops, as it is
> obvious that some crops are more efficient to produce -
> use less resources per nutritional unit of output -
> than others.
>
> But how do "vegans" actually behave? Why, they buy
> some fruits and vegetables that are resource-efficient,
> and they buy some fruits and vegetables that are
> relatively resource-INefficient. You know this by
> looking at retail prices: higher priced goods ARE
> higher priced because they use more resources to
> produce. If "vegans" REALLY were interested in food
> production efficiency, they would only be buying the
> absolutely cheapest fruit or vegetable for any given
> nutritional requirement. This would necessarily mean
> there would be ONLY one kind of leafy green vegetable,
> one kind of grain, one variety of fruit, and so on.
>
> If "vegans" were to extend this misuse of "efficiency"
> into other consumer goods, say clothing, then there
> would be only one kind of shoe produced (and thus only
> one brand). The same would hold for every conceivable
> garment. A button-front shirt with collars costs more
> to produce - uses more resources - than does a T-shirt,
> so everyone "ought" to wear only T-shirts, if we're
> going to focus on the efficiency of shirt production.
> You don't "need" any button front shirts, just as you
> don't "need" meat. But look in any "vegan's" wardrobe,
> and you'll see a variety of different kinds of clothing
> (all natural fiber, of course.) "vegans" aren't
> advocating that only the most "efficient" clothing be
> produced, as their own behavior clearly indicates.
>
> The correct way to analyze efficiency of production is
> to focus as narrowly as possible on the end product,
> then see if that product can be produced using fewer
> resources. It is important to note that the consumer's
> view of products as distinct things is crucial. A
> radio can be produced far more "efficiently", in terms
> of resource use, than a television; but consumers don't
> view radios and televisions as generic entertainment
> devices.
>
> The critical mistake, the UNBELIEVABLY stupid mistake,
> that "vegans" who misconceive of "inefficiency" are
> making, is to see "food" as some undifferentiated lump
> of calories and other nutritional requirements. Once
> one realizes that this is not how ANYONE, including the
> "vegans" themselves, views food, then the
> "inefficiency" argument against using resources for

Think in terms of how much food/protein could actually be produced on
one acre of land...the most efficent might be vegan only, or a mix
with animals, but its very unlikely to be animals only. (Also factor
in resource uses from outside). There is a big and boring bias towards
livstock farming in many areas of the UK - I found rural/mountainous
wales like some sort of hammer house film - no sir, we don't like
trees here, we kill them silently at night (type thing). Its really
that bad - totally fuked up colonialised nightmare. The druids would
go absolutely mental. Now, of course, in mid wales, around Pumlumon
you have so called conservationists saying that the current cleared
(of people and trees) waste of the welsh mountains is a 'wilderness'.
Too fuking much! (thus blocking Forestry Commission native tree
regeneration grants also in many areas of previously wildness forest
with this false designation).

**** off and die fuking idiots, I've had it with you.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research...tre/index.html
Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

"Oz" > wrote in message ...
> Jim Webster > writes
>
> >And not actually true. We have discussed soil erosian in the UK on UBA many
> >times and it is not the major issue it is made out to be. The best way of
> >dealing with it is to leave certain land under grass and graze meat
> >producing animals on it.

> Frankly england doesn't have a problem with excessive erosion.
>
> Of course every landscape naturally has erosion and the english one is
> no exception. If you wnat to see the erosion people get rightly agitated
> about then you need to go to tropical and sub-tropical enviromments
> where rainfall is very high and primodial forest is being removed (for
> the first time notice).
>
> The problems I have seen with erosion in england have all been
> associated with walkers. Typically on fragile upland peats (peak
> district in particular) and scree in the lake district. These can be
> really severe locally.

'The negative impacts of soil erosion due to inappropriate land
management have become increasingly apparent in England and
Wales since the 1970s. A number of factors are responsible
for this increase, including animal and crop production on
inappropriate land, overstocking, bad timing of agricultural
practices, degradation of river banks by stock, and lack of
ground cover in winter months.

Soil erosion has significant social, economic and environment
impacts. In addition to reduced future farm productivity, soil
entering freshwater ecosystems can cause major damage, for
example choking spawning gravels used by fish. Soil pollution
can often carry increased leads of phosphates into freshwater
bodies and the marine environment, exacerbating the problems
of eutrophication. Soil on roads blocks drains leading to
localised flooding, while soil entering strategic reservoirs and
ports can result in high dredging and disposal costs.
.....'
http://www.wwf.org.uk/filelibrary/pd...onengwales.pdf

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

"Jim Webster" > wrote in message ...

> "Buxqi" > wrote in message
> On Mar 5, 2:26 pm, "pearl" > wrote:

> > > now prove you understand what your talking about

> > > explain how a plough, a metal bar dragged through the soil, can destroy
> > > organic matter

> > "Cultivation" also includes the application of agricides, in sum..
> >
> > ' kill[ing] much of the soil fauna and leav[ing] the soil at risk of
> > erosion from wind and rain. The soil structure is damaged and,
> > with continued cultivation, the sub-soil becomes very compacted
> > and is unable to drain properly or allow roots to penetrate and
> > obtain their nutrients. When it rains soil is washed away. Just go
> > and stand in a country lane on a wet day and you will see all the
> > muddy water flowing along the sides of the lane. This is our
> > valuable top soil, being carried off to streams and thence to the
> > sea.'

> It's a very sad state of affairs!
>
> And not actually true. We have discussed soil erosian in the UK on UBA many
> times and it is not the major issue it is made out to be. The best way of
> dealing with it is to leave certain land under grass and graze meat
> producing animals on it.

'It is estimated that 73 percent of the world's grazing land has so
deteriorated that it has lost at least 25 percent of its animal carrying
capacity. - UNEP, Global Environment Outlook 2000, Earthscan,
1999. ...'
http://tinyurl.com/29dn62

'The negative impacts of soil erosion due to inappropriate land
management have become increasingly apparent in England and
Wales since the 1970s. A number of factors are responsible
for this increase, including animal and crop production on
inappropriate land, overstocking, bad timing of agricultural
practices, degradation of river banks by stock, and lack of
ground cover in winter months.

Soil erosion has significant social, economic and environment
impacts. In addition to reduced future farm productivity, soil
entering freshwater ecosystems can cause major damage, for
example choking spawning gravels used by fish. Soil pollution
can often carry increased leads of phosphates into freshwater
bodies and the marine environment, exacerbating the problems
of eutrophication. Soil on roads blocks drains leading to
localised flooding, while soil entering strategic reservoirs and
ports can result in high dredging and disposal costs.
.....'
http://www.wwf.org.uk/filelibrary/pd...onengwales.pdf

> > And let's not forget that the lion's share of grain and land is
> > used to feed animals,

> Sure, but let's also not forget that this is not being seriously
> challenged.
>
> Actually it is, Pearl couldn't actually come up with evidence to back her
> claim which became far more equivocal

I've provided evidence that proves my claim - as it was meant.

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

"Buxqi" > wrote in message ...
On Mar 5, 2:26 pm, "pearl" > wrote:
> "Jim Webster" > wrote in ...
>
> > "pearl" > wrote in message

> > > 'Annual crops, grown in conventional systems, demand that the soil
> > > is cultivated. The very act of cultivating the soil serves to destroy
> > > organic matter,

> > now prove you understand what your talking about

> > explain how a plough, a metal bar dragged through the soil, can destroy
> > organic matter

> "Cultivation" also includes the application of agricides, in sum..
>
> ' kill[ing] much of the soil fauna and leav[ing] the soil at risk of
> erosion from wind and rain. The soil structure is damaged and,
> with continued cultivation, the sub-soil becomes very compacted
> and is unable to drain properly or allow roots to penetrate and
> obtain their nutrients. When it rains soil is washed away. Just go
> and stand in a country lane on a wet day and you will see all the
> muddy water flowing along the sides of the lane. This is our
> valuable top soil, being carried off to streams and thence to the
> sea.'

It's a very sad state of affairs!

--- That's still an understatement. ---

> And let's not forget that the lion's share of grain and land is
> used to feed animals,

Sure, but let's also not forget that this is not being seriously
challenged. The issue I am interested in is whether vegan
diets are still more efficient for those whose diets are based
on food grown according to more responsible farming methods.

--- I don't see how the case could be made that a vegan diet
wouldn't be more efficient. Grazing animals need a lot of land,
and domesticated breeds on restricted pasture could never be
the ecological equivalent of free-roaming native wild species.
----

> to satisfy your addiction to animal fat.

I'm not addicted. I could stop just like that if you convinced
me it was the right thing to do. I have done it before, albeit
briefly and I could do it again, no problem.

---
But that's what addicts always say. It's called "denial".

Did you ever also quit eating fish "Pesco-Vegan"?

Why didn't you respond to the post about depletion?

Would you be prepared to have done to you what you
seem to think there's nothing wrong with doing to others?

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

"Jim Webster" > wrote in message ...

> "pearl" > wrote in message
> > "Jim Webster" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> next time qualify your statements, rather than making such far reaching
> >> claims

> > I didn't making a far reaching claim. You misunderstood.

> I just read the words you wrote

In the context you snipped, following reference to the UK.

> >> So have you evidence for 2007 in the UK ?

> > 2008. ... desperate for feed... and there's heap big trouble ..
> >

> no

Yes, jim. The shite's well-and-truly now hitting the fan.

> so you don't actually have any figures for 2007 then to back up your
> claim

Why would you think imports of corn significantly changed
during 2007? You're really not making any sense, jim, at all.

> >> oh dear, protein crops are such things as rape, soya,

> > Yes, we know.

> so your claim was just sloppy wording on your part

'The European parliament has stated that 'Europe can feed its
people but not its animals'. Europe imports 70% of its protein
for animal feed .. this is on top of using large proportions of
its own arable land. Much of these imported feedstuffs come
from countries suffering from poverty or environmental
degradation. 95% of world soyabean production is used for
animal feed. In the UK, 39% of our wheat, 51% of our barley
and 75% of our total agricultural land is used to feed animals.
...'
http://www.ivu.org/congress/2002/texts/david2.html

Nothing sloppy about that. But now jim's reminded us of rape.
Care to give us some figures, jim, e.g. the number of hectares?

> > 'Europe is struggling to find enough vegetable protein to feed its
> > livestock, causing feed prices to rise. The EU imports 80 per cent
> > of its feed protein needs - mainly new traits of GM soya and corn. '
> > ibid.

No comment GM in the British meat-eaters' food-chain, jim?

<.>

> >> if it is so significant why did you ignore it?

> > That's the question *you* need to answer.

> ah, you mean it is only me that is responsible?

You produce meat - causing scarce resources, and you promote it.

> Surely it is the responsibility of everyone who uses scarce resources,
> everyone who lives in a house, has food transported to them, uses
> electricity, internet

http://www.simondale.net/house/index.htm

'The way forward

Somehow, as dozens of green writers have already pointed out,
we need new policies that conserve nature while encouraging
people to choose and build their own homes. We need to
reverse the flow of people from the land to the cities, and to
give people something worthwhile to do. We must grow more
of our own food, organically, and reduce dependence on fossil
fuels and techno-fixes. Will there be humans living here in a
thousand years? Birds, trees, hedgehogs,apples too? If so,
we have to move fast now.

Why the relatively young discipline of permaculture offers so
much hope in this context is because it integrates care of the
earth with care of people and an awareness of natural limits.
It takes account of the effect of a settlement on the community
around it, and of the needs of wildlife at all times and levels.
If, therefore, people can be educated in the principles of
permaculture design before they develop a site, and if it is a
requirement that certain agreements be kept during its
development, we would be certain to see biodiversity increase
along with human settlement - the opposite trend to normal
housing development. We could also expect to see no net
increase in demand on the common utilities. It is perfectly
possible to build new eco-homes nowadays that require no
mains electricity - especially if these homes are in clusters that
can take advantage of joint biomass composting or community
heat and power schemes, and are well located for wind, water
or solar power. We could even plan for a net exporting of
electricity from renewable sources, thereby generating a profit.
............'
http://www.simondale.net/house/context.htm

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

"pearl" > wrote in message
> "Jim Webster" > wrote in message

> Why would you think imports of corn significantly changed
> during 2007? You're really not making any sense, jim, at all.

no, you are just being ignorant, imports change every year

so you still haven't actually got the figures to back your claim

>> > Yes, we know.

>> so your claim was just sloppy wording on your part

> 'The European parliament has stated that

but Pearl didn't

2. Now Antiochus was not satisfied either with his unexpected taking the
city, or with its pillage, or with the great slaughter he had made there;
but being overcome with his violent passions, and remembering what he had
suffered during the siege, he compelled the Jews to dissolve the laws of
their country, and to keep their infants uncircumcised, and to sacrifice
swine's flesh upon the altar; against which they all opposed themselves, and
the most approved among them were put to death. Bacchides also, who was sent
to keep the fortresses, having these wicked commands, joined to his own
natural barbarity, indulged all sorts of the extremest wickedness, and
tormented the worthiest of the inhabitants, man by man, and threatened their
city every day with open destruction, till at length he provoked the poor
sufferers by the extremity of his wicked doings to avenge themselves.

3. Accordingly Matthias, the son of Asamoneus, one of the priests who lived
in a village called Modin, armed himself, together with his own family,
which had five sons of his in it, and slew Bacchides with daggers; and
thereupon, out of the fear of the many garrisons [of the enemy], he fled to
the mountains; and so many of the people followed him, that he was
encouraged to come down from the mountains, and to give battle to
Antiochus's generals, when he beat them, and drove them out of Judea. So he
came to the government by this his success, and became the prince of his own
people by their own free consent, and then died, leaving the government to
Judas, his eldest son.

4. Now Judas, supposing that Antiochus would not lie still, gathered an army
out of his own countrymen, and was the first that made a league of
friendship with the Romans, and drove Epiphanes out of the country when he
had made a second expedition into it, and this by giving him a great defeat
there; and when he was warmed by this great success, he made an assault upon
the garrison that was in the city, for it had not been cut off hitherto; so
he ejected them out of the upper city, and drove the soldiers into the
lower, which part of the city was called the Citadel. He then got the temple
under his power, and cleansed the whole place, and walled it round about,
and made new vessels for sacred ministrations, and brought them into the
temple, because the former vessels had been profaned. He also built another
altar, and began to offer the sacrifices; and when the city had already
received its sacred constitution again, Antiochus died; whose son Antiochus
succeeded him in the kingdom, and in his hatred to the Jews also.

5. So this Antiochus got together fifty thousand footmen, and five thousand
horsemen, and fourscore elephants, and marched through Judea into the
mountainous parts. He then took Bethsura, which was a small city; but at a
place called Bethzacharis, where the passage was narrow, Judas met him with
his army. However, before the forces joined battle, Judas's brother Eleazar,
seeing the very highest of the elephants adorned with a large tower, and
with military trappings of gold to guard him, and supposing that Antiochus
himself was upon him, he ran a great way before his own army, and cutting
his way through the enemy's troops, he got up to the elephant; yet could he
not reach him who seemed to be the king, by reason of his being so high; but
still he ran his weapon into the belly of the beast, and brought him down
upon himself, and was crushed to death, having done no more than attempted
great things, and showed that he preferred glory before life. Now he that
governed the elephant was but a private man; and had he proved to be
Antiochus, Eleazar had performed nothing more by this bold stroke than that
it might appear he chose to die, when he had the bare hope of thereby doing
a glorious action; nay, this disappointment proved an omen to his brother
[Judas] how the entire battle would end. It is true that the Jews fought it
out bravely for a long time, but the king's forces, being superior in
number, and having fortune on their side, obtained the victory. And when a
great many of his men were slain, Judas took the rest with him, and fled to
the toparchy of Gophna. So Antiochus went to Jerusalem, and staid there but
a few days, for he wanted provisions, and so he went his way. He left indeed
a garrison behind him, such as he thought sufficient to keep the place, but
drew the rest of his army off, to take their winter-quarters in Syria.

6. Now, after the king was departed, Judas was not idle; for as many of his
own nation came to him, so did he gather those that had escaped out of the
battle together, and gave battle again to Antiochus's generals at a village
called Adasa; and being too hard for his enemies in the battle, and killing
a great number of them, he was at last himself slain also. Nor was it many
days afterward that his brother John had a plot laid against him by
Antiochus's party, and was slain by them.

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

"pearl" > wrote in message

http://www.wwf.org.uk/filelibrary/pd...onengwales.pdf

absolutely, stop ploughing put everything down to grass and keep more
livestock
couldn't agree with you more Pearl

Jim Webster

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

"pearl" > wrote in message
> "Jim Webster" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Buxqi" > wrote in message
>> On Mar 5, 2:26 pm, "pearl" > wrote:
>> > "Jim Webster" > wrote in

>> > "Cultivation" also includes the application of agricides, in sum..
>> >
>> > ' kill[ing] much of the soil fauna and leav[ing] the soil at risk of
>> > erosion from wind and rain. The soil structure is damaged and,
>> > with continued cultivation, the sub-soil becomes very compacted
>> > and is unable to drain properly or allow roots to penetrate and
>> > obtain their nutrients. When it rains soil is washed away. Just go
>> > and stand in a country lane on a wet day and you will see all the
>> > muddy water flowing along the sides of the lane. This is our
>> > valuable top soil, being carried off to streams and thence to the
>> > sea.'

>> It's a very sad state of affairs!
>>
>> And not actually true. We have discussed soil erosian in the UK on UBA
>> many
>> times and it is not the major issue it is made out to be. The best way of
>> dealing with it is to leave certain land under grass and graze meat
>> producing animals on it.

> 'It is estimated that 73 percent of the world's grazing land

by heck, UK has 73 percent of worlds grazing land, fancy that

> I've provided evidence that proves my claim - as it was meant.

aw poor pearl,

Hopefully people will forget the last ten posts you made and believe you

Jim Webster

Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation

On Mar 7, 12:56 pm, "Jim Webster"
> wrote:
> "pearl" > wrote in message

> > "Jim Webster" > wrote in message

> >> It's a very sad state of affairs!

> >> And not actually true. We have discussed soil erosian in the UK on UBA
> >> many
> >> times and it is not the major issue it is made out to be. The best way of
> >> dealing with it is to leave certain land under grass and graze meat
> >> producing animals on it.

> > 'It is estimated that 73 percent of the world's grazing land

> by heck, UK has 73 percent of worlds grazing land, fancy that
>
> > I've provided evidence that proves my claim - as it was meant.

> aw poor pearl,
>
> Hopefully people will forget the last ten posts you made and believe you
>
> Jim Webster

Solutions:

http://www.permaculture.org/nm/index.php/site/index/

The government will probably at long last start actively promoting
this concept - in 2 or 3 years I would guess, too late, in total
panic, never mind :~