Posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation
Buxqi Buxqi is offline

On Mar 5, 2:26*pm, "pearl" > wrote:
> "Jim Webster" > wrote in ...
>
> > "pearl" > wrote in message

> > > 'Annual crops, grown in conventional systems, demand that the soil
> > > is cultivated. The very act of cultivating the soil serves to destroy
> > > organic matter,

> > now prove you understand what your talking about

> > explain how a plough, a metal bar dragged through the soil, can destroy
> > organic matter

> "Cultivation" also includes the application of agricides, in sum..
>
> ' kill[ing] much of the soil fauna and leav[ing] the soil at risk of
> erosion from wind and rain. The soil structure is damaged and,
> with continued cultivation, the sub-soil becomes very compacted
> and is unable to drain properly or allow roots to penetrate and
> obtain their nutrients. When it rains soil is washed away. Just go
> and stand in a country lane on a wet day and you will see all the
> muddy water flowing along the sides of the lane. This is our
> valuable top soil, being carried off to streams and thence to the
> sea.'

It's a very sad state of affairs!

> And let's not forget that the lion's share of grain and land is
> used to feed animals,

Sure, but let's also not forget that this is not being seriously
challenged. The issue I am interested in is whether vegan
diets are still more efficient for those whose diets are based
on food grown according to more responsible farming methods.

> to satisfy your addiction to animal fat.

I'm not addicted. I could stop just like that if you convinced
me it was the right thing to do. I have done it before, albeit
briefly and I could do it again, no problem.