Derek

fLameDogg rose quietly and spake the following:

> "Dave" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Please forgive the ignorance, but I really do not know anything about
>> Tea. Does Jasmine tea (made with Jasmine blossoms and green tea)
>> contain caffeine?
>>
>> Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea.
>> I also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from
>> caffeine. Therefore, the question.

> You might also like rooibos (not truly "tea", but it makes a nice tisane),
> which supposedly contains no caffeine. I have enjoyed it with milk as a
> pleasant before-bedtime drink. In fact, I'm pleased to have remembered it.

I was going to suggest rooibos, but wanted to read through the whole thread
first. SO let me second this recommendation.

An added advantage ot rooibos is that it also takes "adulteration" very
nicely. My LTS sells several different flavored versions of rooibos that
are absolutely delicious. In fact, the wife and I are in the habit of
drinking only rooibos after 5:00PM (caffeine avoidance).

And we're currently out, so I'd darned well better get to the shop today.

--
Derek

If you're not a part of the solution, there's good money to be made
prolonging the problem.
Karen

Derek wrote:

> I have friends who cannot consume ANY concentrated caffeine during the day
> - even in chocolate - and get a good night's sleep.

Yo :-). I can't drink coffee or caffeinated sodas at all. I can drink tea
up until noon, then I switch to rooibos. On that thread, I purchase my
favorite rooibos chai at http://www.culinaryteas.com/Rooibos_Teas/.

One of my children was so sensitive to caffeine I couldn't eat a single
piece of chocolate during the first 9 months I was nursing her. That is
the single greatest sacrifice I have made as a parent :-). Interestingly,
as a teenager she now drinks at least two cups of strong perked (drip is
too weak for her) coffee a day.

Karen R.
Karen

Derek wrote:

> I have friends who cannot consume ANY concentrated caffeine during the day
> - even in chocolate - and get a good night's sleep.

Yo :-). I can't drink coffee or caffeinated sodas at all. I can drink tea
up until noon, then I switch to rooibos. On that thread, I purchase my
favorite rooibos chai at http://www.culinaryteas.com/Rooibos_Teas/.

One of my children was so sensitive to caffeine I couldn't eat a single
piece of chocolate during the first 9 months I was nursing her. That is
the single greatest sacrifice I have made as a parent :-). Interestingly,
as a teenager she now drinks at least two cups of strong perked (drip is
too weak for her) coffee a day.

Karen R.
Space Cowboy

The numbers are off the top of my head. There are plenty of
references for caffeine levels in tea because the chemical analysis is
understood. The physiology of caffeine absorption from tea is
different than coffee. We do have a biochemist in the group so maybe
he has more scientific sources. I'm of the British persuasion where
the first cup is always the best. The British tea culture is very
underestimated. If you toss the first cup for the caffeine you also
loose taste. There was an earlier post of leaching times versus water
temperature. I make sun tea at ambient summer temperature which taste
different than brewing refrigerator tea. The sun tea leaves still
look fresh after a 1/2 day soak. So I think washing doesn't remove
any essential tea properties including caffeine. I've drank tea with
hot tap water and no matter what you need the kettle and boiling
water. I'd say the minimum temperature for brewing tea 150F but I
split the difference and always boil no matter what. If need be you
can moderate the temperatures after the kettle. I always read every
post in the group and so welcome. I'm interested in posts about tea
as seen in other cultures.

Jim

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message . com>...
> Great info, thanks. Do you remember where did you get these numbers from?
> I think these are correct estimates, but if you happen to to remember the
> ref, it would be nice.
> I am especially interested in the caffeine distribution between steeps. Is
> it possible to remove the bulk of it by washing tea just a bit longer?
> If only I has an access to a liquid chromatograph at home!
> Thanks.
>
> Alex.
>

> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> om...
> > For a bench mark tea has 50% levels of caffeine compared to coffee.
> > The convention is to throw the first cup of tea which contains 80% of
> > the caffeine which is another bench mark. So the cup is low in
> > caffeine to start and almost gone by the second cup. Another
> > alternative is brew the cup normally and dilute it 10 to 1. A weak
> > cup of tea is what I suggest for beginners regardless of the caffeine.
> > An everyday cuppa for the beginner is often just too much tea. So
> > start weak and develop your taste. When we mention tea here if comes
> > from a certain plant. In general use it means any plant. My local
> > tea shoppe has customers weaning themselves from coffee so it stocks
> > decaffeinated teas and tisanes (herbals). My blend for coffee guests
> > is chocolate tea with sweet(clotted) cream. For coffee drinkers a
> > decaffeinated coffee would be more satisfying than tea.
> >
> > Jim

Space Cowboy

The numbers are off the top of my head. There are plenty of
references for caffeine levels in tea because the chemical analysis is
understood. The physiology of caffeine absorption from tea is
different than coffee. We do have a biochemist in the group so maybe
he has more scientific sources. I'm of the British persuasion where
the first cup is always the best. The British tea culture is very
underestimated. If you toss the first cup for the caffeine you also
loose taste. There was an earlier post of leaching times versus water
temperature. I make sun tea at ambient summer temperature which taste
different than brewing refrigerator tea. The sun tea leaves still
look fresh after a 1/2 day soak. So I think washing doesn't remove
any essential tea properties including caffeine. I've drank tea with
hot tap water and no matter what you need the kettle and boiling
water. I'd say the minimum temperature for brewing tea 150F but I
split the difference and always boil no matter what. If need be you
can moderate the temperatures after the kettle. I always read every
post in the group and so welcome. I'm interested in posts about tea
as seen in other cultures.

Jim

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message . com>...
> Great info, thanks. Do you remember where did you get these numbers from?
> I think these are correct estimates, but if you happen to to remember the
> ref, it would be nice.
> I am especially interested in the caffeine distribution between steeps. Is
> it possible to remove the bulk of it by washing tea just a bit longer?
> If only I has an access to a liquid chromatograph at home!
> Thanks.
>
> Alex.
>

> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> om...
> > For a bench mark tea has 50% levels of caffeine compared to coffee.
> > The convention is to throw the first cup of tea which contains 80% of
> > the caffeine which is another bench mark. So the cup is low in
> > caffeine to start and almost gone by the second cup. Another
> > alternative is brew the cup normally and dilute it 10 to 1. A weak
> > cup of tea is what I suggest for beginners regardless of the caffeine.
> > An everyday cuppa for the beginner is often just too much tea. So
> > start weak and develop your taste. When we mention tea here if comes
> > from a certain plant. In general use it means any plant. My local
> > tea shoppe has customers weaning themselves from coffee so it stocks
> > decaffeinated teas and tisanes (herbals). My blend for coffee guests
> > is chocolate tea with sweet(clotted) cream. For coffee drinkers a
> > decaffeinated coffee would be more satisfying than tea.
> >
> > Jim

Space Cowboy

I'd say your measurements maybe on brisk side. I probably use 5g in
my 24 oz pot. I've never weighed what goes in my pot. I use the test
of time. What taste good too you is all that matters. I'm in a bulk
herbal store the other day and the minimum purchase 1/2 oz. I noticed
the oz scale was graduated by the tenth. So I switched to the gram
scale for a more precise measurement. I noticed the checkout weight
was oz so I made sure to be a gram under the next graduated tenth.
Who says metrics don't pay. I'm more sensitive to oz and gram since I
started buying from my local tea shoppe. An oz here or some grams
there don't matter when you buy commercial teas. But it sure does
when that is the basic unit of cost for estate teas. So for really
expensive teas pay by the gram and not oz.

Jim

"Dave" > wrote in message >...
> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> om...
> > For a bench mark tea has 50% levels of caffeine compared to coffee.

snipped because nothing bores me more than me
> > Jim
> >

> Thanks for the input. I am currently brewing roughly a pint and a half
> using what I *think* (haven't measured it yet, maybe tomorrow) is 10 -12
> grams of Jasmine tea. This gives me three cups (of about 8 or 9 ounces
> each) at a very pleasant level of "full-bodidness" (if you will allow me to
> use such a moronic term.) I would describe it as "genuine" with just a hint
> of bitterness (brewed for 3:30 to 4:00 minutes before removing the leaves).
> I used to drink very strong coffee, and I don't know how this would rank
> among cups of tea, but it satisfies. What does it sound like to you? Is
> this a fairly weak cuppa? Or am I jumping in at the deep end?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Space Cowboy

"Dave" > wrote in message >...
> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> om...
> > For a bench mark tea has 50% levels of caffeine compared to coffee.

snipped because nothing bores me more than me
> > Jim
> >

> Thanks for the input. I am currently brewing roughly a pint and a half
> using what I *think* (haven't measured it yet, maybe tomorrow) is 10 -12
> grams of Jasmine tea. This gives me three cups (of about 8 or 9 ounces
> each) at a very pleasant level of "full-bodidness" (if you will allow me to
> use such a moronic term.) I would describe it as "genuine" with just a hint
> of bitterness (brewed for 3:30 to 4:00 minutes before removing the leaves).
> I used to drink very strong coffee, and I don't know how this would rank
> among cups of tea, but it satisfies. What does it sound like to you? Is
> this a fairly weak cuppa? Or am I jumping in at the deep end?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Rick Chappell

Hello there Alex. We seem to have something in common besides liking
tea. I grew up in Houston where my father and cousin were bigshots in
the oil exploration business. I was educated in geology at UT (oil,
not gold). Also, though this is a stretch, I'm of Russian extraction.
But I'm assuming that "Chaihorsky" is Russian. And that it isn't a
pseudonym, which, if it were, would be an appropriate one for this
newsgroup.

Yes, I would like to know of a teahouse in Houston because I still
visit there, but I doubt I will find one. It's very un-Texan.
Where would you put the mechanical bull?. But I agree with your
love-hate relation with the Texas mindset. On one hand there's the
sight of gangs of drunks wandering around College Station saying they
were going to "kick Oklahoma's ass" [in football]; on the other
there's the mentality that when something needs doing, for you or
someone else, you get off your butt at dawn and go out and work until
it's done. Getting seriously off topic here, I once was chased down
by a good-old-boy in a pickup truck at gunpoint (actually, he was
driving and his wife was holding the gun) who considered me to be
trespassing on his ranch. I was, I suppose: I was attempting to
knock on the door to get permission to take a water sample for a
geologic survey but his half-dozen snarling dogs threatened to rip
various extremities off me when I drove up. I valued those
extremities, so I drove off. So there he was forcing my Pinto off the
road with his pickup, wife and gun. When he found out what I was up
to he: a), showed me to his well; b), invited me in for lunch; and
c), was under my car fixing a sagging muffler when I returned with my
sample.

His wife turned out to be a (well-armed) local science teacher. He
was a multi-millionaire scion of a family which helped to found
Houston.

Now would a Vanderbilt fix your muffler?

Best,

Rick.

In article m> you wrote

> Houston.... Yea, I remember Being a geologist by education (gold, not
> oil) myself I did spend some time there and yes, there are no &^%$ing
> tearooms there! Even if that were, the tea will be horribly spoiled buy all
> that barbeque sauce smell that is everywhere.
> But if you are in Reno (where are no tearooms either) drop by my place and
> you would get a full gongfu service (with wenxianbei) on greener varieties
> of oolongs like fresh Te Guan In and Nai Xian that I brought from China in
> July and if you manage to stay sober (one can get drunk from gongfu tea, you
> know) we may also try Shui Xian Yan (Wild Shui Xian) from our friend Roy
> Fong at Imperial Court in San Francisco. You will pay be back with Texan
> accent

Rick Chappell

Hello there Alex. We seem to have something in common besides liking
tea. I grew up in Houston where my father and cousin were bigshots in
the oil exploration business. I was educated in geology at UT (oil,
not gold). Also, though this is a stretch, I'm of Russian extraction.
But I'm assuming that "Chaihorsky" is Russian. And that it isn't a
pseudonym, which, if it were, would be an appropriate one for this
newsgroup.

Yes, I would like to know of a teahouse in Houston because I still
visit there, but I doubt I will find one. It's very un-Texan.
Where would you put the mechanical bull?. But I agree with your
love-hate relation with the Texas mindset. On one hand there's the
sight of gangs of drunks wandering around College Station saying they
were going to "kick Oklahoma's ass" [in football]; on the other
there's the mentality that when something needs doing, for you or
someone else, you get off your butt at dawn and go out and work until
it's done. Getting seriously off topic here, I once was chased down
by a good-old-boy in a pickup truck at gunpoint (actually, he was
driving and his wife was holding the gun) who considered me to be
trespassing on his ranch. I was, I suppose: I was attempting to
knock on the door to get permission to take a water sample for a
geologic survey but his half-dozen snarling dogs threatened to rip
various extremities off me when I drove up. I valued those
extremities, so I drove off. So there he was forcing my Pinto off the
road with his pickup, wife and gun. When he found out what I was up
to he: a), showed me to his well; b), invited me in for lunch; and
c), was under my car fixing a sagging muffler when I returned with my
sample.

His wife turned out to be a (well-armed) local science teacher. He
was a multi-millionaire scion of a family which helped to found
Houston.

Now would a Vanderbilt fix your muffler?

Best,

Rick.

In article m> you wrote

> Houston.... Yea, I remember Being a geologist by education (gold, not
> oil) myself I did spend some time there and yes, there are no &^%$ing
> tearooms there! Even if that were, the tea will be horribly spoiled buy all
> that barbeque sauce smell that is everywhere.
> But if you are in Reno (where are no tearooms either) drop by my place and
> you would get a full gongfu service (with wenxianbei) on greener varieties
> of oolongs like fresh Te Guan In and Nai Xian that I brought from China in
> July and if you manage to stay sober (one can get drunk from gongfu tea, you
> know) we may also try Shui Xian Yan (Wild Shui Xian) from our friend Roy
> Fong at Imperial Court in San Francisco. You will pay be back with Texan
> accent

Alex Chaihorsky

Exactly!
BTW my last name is a very funny one - its Azeri in it roots (Chaihor-Khan)
and means the "Tea-adoring Khan", no less.
My fathers ancestors were Russian aristocrats of Moslem descent and my
grand-granddad was quite a liberal, so Tzar Niklas The First
sent him to exile to Poland together with his liberal aristocratic friends
Khans of Shemakha and Baku. They got very westernized there and came back
with Polish-Russian endings attached to their names. I was born in Russia
two weeks after Stalin's death and came to this country in 1987 when i was
35. So if you need any help shouting Russian obscenities at Yewston
billioners next time - gimme a buzz. I am also thinking of going there to
get some funding for my biotech company to take my stuff through FDA, and
the Bay Area VCs make me throw up.
I'd rather lose with a Texan than win with one of these whimps. I prefer to
be shot by a drunken friend than to be bored to death by these accountants.
What can be better than to be shot by a woman science teacher defending her
property rights?

Do not bother trying to find teahouse in Yewston. But try some good Russian
restorants there, especially with Caucasis cuisine (Georgian or Azeri,
Armenians are coffee drinkers) and tell them you want good, loose Indian
tea, you just may get a very good one. Russians are absolutely crazy about
good tea and Russian web sites are among the best on well-collected tea
information. Moscow tea clubs are beyond anything my tea-loving friends from
Europe ever seen anywhere except Paris. I cannot testify - I have not been
in Russia for almost 18 years
But hey, if you are in Reno - just let me know

Cheers,

Alex.
..

"Rick Chappell" > wrote in message

> [...]
>
>> Houston.... Yea, I remember Being a geologist by education (gold, not
>> oil) myself I did spend some time there and yes, there are no &^%$ing
>> tearooms there! Even if that were, the tea will be horribly spoiled buy
>> all
>> that barbeque sauce smell that is everywhere.
>> But if you are in Reno (where are no tearooms either) drop by my place
>> and
>> you would get a full gongfu service (with wenxianbei) on greener
>> varieties
>> of oolongs like fresh Te Guan In and Nai Xian that I brought from China
>> in
>> July and if you manage to stay sober (one can get drunk from gongfu tea,
>> you
>> know) we may also try Shui Xian Yan (Wild Shui Xian) from our friend Roy
>> Fong at Imperial Court in San Francisco. You will pay be back with Texan

Alex Chaihorsky

> [...]

>> Houston.... Yea, I remember Being a geologist by education (gold, not
>> oil) myself I did spend some time there and yes, there are no &^%$ing
>> tearooms there! Even if that were, the tea will be horribly spoiled buy
>> all
>> that barbeque sauce smell that is everywhere.
>> But if you are in Reno (where are no tearooms either) drop by my place
>> and
>> you would get a full gongfu service (with wenxianbei) on greener
>> varieties
>> of oolongs like fresh Te Guan In and Nai Xian that I brought from China
>> in
>> July and if you manage to stay sober (one can get drunk from gongfu tea,
>> you
>> know) we may also try Shui Xian Yan (Wild Shui Xian) from our friend Roy
>> Fong at Imperial Court in San Francisco. You will pay be back with Texan

Alex Chaihorsky

And who wouldn't agree with you on this one?!?!

Alex.

> On a totally useless note, how can one Not like a tea called Honeybush?
> The imagry from this name is just so....well....cool.
>
> --
> ~Candace~

Alex Chaihorsky

And who wouldn't agree with you on this one?!?!

Alex.

> On a totally useless note, how can one Not like a tea called Honeybush?
> The imagry from this name is just so....well....cool.
>
> --
> ~Candace~

Alex Chaihorsky

BTW, it paid in our family to be tea-lovers ("Chaihor"). My Dad who was one
of the "fathers" of Russian atomic bomb at the time when almost nothing was
known about the physiological effects of radiation had it so bad that he had
real burns time to time from radioactivity and he has fine crescents of
clouds on the lower part of his eyes due to alpha irradiation. Despite that
and his age (85) he takes almost no medications and runs a mile every day.
All his life he was drinking 12 cups of strong Ceylon or Indian tea brewed
"Azeri style" - boiling water added to tea and the tea is heated slowly just
to the point of boiling (never boiling).
All my attempts to introduce him to green teas or oolongs were futile. In
his family people lived to be 110 - 115 years old.
Caffeine? - Go figure...

Alex.

> [...]
>>
>>> Houston.... Yea, I remember Being a geologist by education (gold, not
>>> oil) myself I did spend some time there and yes, there are no &^%$ing
>>> tearooms there! Even if that were, the tea will be horribly spoiled buy
>>> all
>>> that barbeque sauce smell that is everywhere.
>>> But if you are in Reno (where are no tearooms either) drop by my place
>>> and
>>> you would get a full gongfu service (with wenxianbei) on greener
>>> varieties
>>> of oolongs like fresh Te Guan In and Nai Xian that I brought from China
>>> in
>>> July and if you manage to stay sober (one can get drunk from gongfu tea,
>>> you
>>> know) we may also try Shui Xian Yan (Wild Shui Xian) from our friend Roy
>>> Fong at Imperial Court in San Francisco. You will pay be back with Texan

Michael Plant

It might be the music, not the tea. I really like Azeri music a lot, having
been in North west Iran and having listened to the music on the radio.
Beyond the little glasses and sugar held between the teeth, would you
describe the Azeri style.

Michael

Alex digy.com9/9/04

> BTW, it paid in our family to be tea-lovers ("Chaihor"). My Dad who was one
> of the "fathers" of Russian atomic bomb at the time when almost nothing was
> known about the physiological effects of radiation had it so bad that he had
> real burns time to time from radioactivity and he has fine crescents of
> clouds on the lower part of his eyes due to alpha irradiation. Despite that
> and his age (85) he takes almost no medications and runs a mile every day.
> All his life he was drinking 12 cups of strong Ceylon or Indian tea brewed
> "Azeri style" - boiling water added to tea and the tea is heated slowly just
> to the point of boiling (never boiling).
> All my attempts to introduce him to green teas or oolongs were futile. In
> his family people lived to be 110 - 115 years old.
> Caffeine? - Go figure...
>
> Alex.

Alex Chaihorsky

Well, I lived all my life before I left the country in what is now St.
Petersburg, but visited Baku several times and was in army there for 2
years. The traditional drink in Caucasus is as follows - Georgians - wine,
wine, wine, Azeris - tea, tea, tea, Armenians - coffee, coffee, coffee.
Local Russians - all of the above. Funny thing - Turks, who are
linguistically and genetically almost indistinguishable from Azeris are not
tea-drinkers, but rather coffee ones.
Azeris drink strong black tea closer to Assam than Darjeeling. They drink it
from small glasses with "waists" - armuddi, made of glass or crystal.
The absolute best brewing method is usually a secret of a chaihana - a tea
house where people literally spend their lives (more men, but some women
come there too, however it was never popular). Some chaihanas use house
blends, some sieve out broken teas. Most Aseris would agree that whatever
you do, you just can't have as good cup of tea at home as in chaihanas.
Lemon can be used with tea and sugar - they bite small amounts of sugar and
wash it down with tea, never putting sugar into tea. Some small sweet baked
treats may also be served. My favorite is Azeri baklava which is very
different from what you an can buy in the States. It is a multilayer (up to
30-60 almost paper-thin layers) of very fine dough and a mish of mashed
hazelnuts, sugar, honey and unbelievable mix of spices (Sweet Jesus, I am
drooling on my keyboard!).
But although tea is very important - the most important is an atmosphere of
a local chaihana with its friendliness, bursts of laughter, stories told
everywhere... watching the strolling crowd and the hot summer wind from
Caspian sea and the sea itself shimmering... glowing...

Alex.

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message

> It might be the music, not the tea. I really like Azeri music a lot,
> having
> been in North west Iran and having listened to the music on the radio.
> Beyond the little glasses and sugar held between the teeth, would you
> describe the Azeri style.
>
> Michael
>

> Alex digy.com9/9/04
>

>> BTW, it paid in our family to be tea-lovers ("Chaihor"). My Dad who was
>> one
>> of the "fathers" of Russian atomic bomb at the time when almost nothing
>> was
>> known about the physiological effects of radiation had it so bad that he
>> had
>> real burns time to time from radioactivity and he has fine crescents of
>> clouds on the lower part of his eyes due to alpha irradiation. Despite
>> that
>> and his age (85) he takes almost no medications and runs a mile every
>> day.
>> All his life he was drinking 12 cups of strong Ceylon or Indian tea
>> brewed
>> "Azeri style" - boiling water added to tea and the tea is heated slowly
>> just
>> to the point of boiling (never boiling).
>> All my attempts to introduce him to green teas or oolongs were futile. In
>> his family people lived to be 110 - 115 years old.
>> Caffeine? - Go figure...
>>
>> Alex.

Alex Chaihorsky

> [...]

>> was
>> known about the physiological effects of radiation had it so bad that he
>> had
>> real burns time to time from radioactivity and he has fine crescents of
>> clouds on the lower part of his eyes due to alpha irradiation. Despite
>> that
>> and his age (85) he takes almost no medications and runs a mile every
>> day.
>> All his life he was drinking 12 cups of strong Ceylon or Indian tea
>> brewed
>> "Azeri style" - boiling water added to tea and the tea is heated slowly
>> just
>> to the point of boiling (never boiling).
>> All my attempts to introduce him to green teas or oolongs were futile. In
>> his family people lived to be 110 - 115 years old.

Alex Chaihorsky

Which brand do you use if you do not mind me asking?

Alex.

"~Candace~" > wrote in message
. com...
> For me, drinking and eating are things that happen when I remember I have
> to do those things. So a lot of tea for me is 2-3 cups a day--but rather
> consistently. It's also a drink that my oldest child (5yrs) enjoys on
> occassion. Caffeine has never had a noticable effect on me, so I do use
> tea as an oasis of calm in my rather hectic days--and my son has picked
> this up from me. When I serve him a warm mug full, he calms right
> down--speaking softly, moving gently--such a drastic change from his
> normal bounce-off-the-wall behavior.
>
> On a totally useless note, how can one Not like a tea called Honeybush?
> The imagry from this name is just so....well....cool.
>
> --
> ~Candace~
>
> Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged
> beader~
> http://snipurl.com/6s4t
>
> Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
> information~
> http://snipurl.com/8s8o
>
> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
> om...
>> Certainly.
>> Honeybush is a good source of isoflavones which are estrogen mimickers.
>> However some oncological risks may be involved if you overdo it. (I
>> know because I have several patents in the field of soy isoflavone as
>> estrogen balancers)
>> I say that because when people say that they drink something as a nectar
>> of life, they are not usually talk about just a cup a day
>>
>> Alex.
>>
>> "~Candace~" > wrote in message
>> . com...
>>>I drink honeybush tea like it's the nectar of life. Speaking as a woman,
>>>I can honestly say that I do notice positive effects on my hormonal
>>>balance. It also has the one thing I find most important in a tea--it
>>>tastes like sin, it's so good.
>>> (now stepping back into lurkdom)
>>>
>>> --
>>> ~Candace~
>>>
>>> Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged
>>> beader~
>>> http://snipurl.com/6s4t
>>>
>>> Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
>>> information~
>>> http://snipurl.com/8s8o
>>>
>>> "fLameDogg" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

Alex Chaihorsky

"~Candace~" > wrote in message
. com...
> For me, drinking and eating are things that happen when I remember I have
> to do those things. So a lot of tea for me is 2-3 cups a day--but rather
> consistently. It's also a drink that my oldest child (5yrs) enjoys on
> occassion. Caffeine has never had a noticable effect on me, so I do use
> tea as an oasis of calm in my rather hectic days--and my son has picked
> this up from me. When I serve him a warm mug full, he calms right
> down--speaking softly, moving gently--such a drastic change from his
> normal bounce-off-the-wall behavior.
>
> On a totally useless note, how can one Not like a tea called Honeybush?
> The imagry from this name is just so....well....cool.
>
> --
> ~Candace~
>
> Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged
> beader~
> http://snipurl.com/6s4t
>
> Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
> information~
> http://snipurl.com/8s8o
>
> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
> om...
>> Certainly.
>> Honeybush is a good source of isoflavones which are estrogen mimickers.
>> However some oncological risks may be involved if you overdo it. (I
>> know because I have several patents in the field of soy isoflavone as
>> estrogen balancers)
>> I say that because when people say that they drink something as a nectar
>> of life, they are not usually talk about just a cup a day
>>
>> Alex.
>>
>> "~Candace~" > wrote in message
>> . com...
>>>I drink honeybush tea like it's the nectar of life. Speaking as a woman,
>>>I can honestly say that I do notice positive effects on my hormonal
>>>balance. It also has the one thing I find most important in a tea--it
>>>tastes like sin, it's so good.
>>> (now stepping back into lurkdom)
>>>
>>> --
>>> ~Candace~
>>>
>>> Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged
>>> beader~
>>> http://snipurl.com/6s4t
>>>
>>> Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
>>> information~
>>> http://snipurl.com/8s8o
>>>
>>> "fLameDogg" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

~Candace~

Here's where I get stoned to death by the hardcore tea folks here, lol!
Celestial Seasonings has always been good for me.

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
. com...
> Which brand do you use if you do not mind me asking?
>
> Alex.
>

> "~Candace~" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> For me, drinking and eating are things that happen when I remember I have
>> to do those things. So a lot of tea for me is 2-3 cups a day--but rather
>> consistently. It's also a drink that my oldest child (5yrs) enjoys on
>> occassion. Caffeine has never had a noticable effect on me, so I do use
>> tea as an oasis of calm in my rather hectic days--and my son has picked
>> this up from me. When I serve him a warm mug full, he calms right
>> down--speaking softly, moving gently--such a drastic change from his
>> normal bounce-off-the-wall behavior.
>>
>> On a totally useless note, how can one Not like a tea called Honeybush?
>> The imagry from this name is just so....well....cool.
>>
>> --
>> ~Candace~
>>
>> Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged
>> beader~
>> http://snipurl.com/6s4t
>>
>> Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
>> information~
>> http://snipurl.com/8s8o
>>
>> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
>> om...
>>> Certainly.
>>> Honeybush is a good source of isoflavones which are estrogen mimickers.
>>> However some oncological risks may be involved if you overdo it. (I
>>> know because I have several patents in the field of soy isoflavone as
>>> estrogen balancers)
>>> I say that because when people say that they drink something as a nectar
>>> of life, they are not usually talk about just a cup a day
>>>
>>> Alex.
>>>
>>> "~Candace~" > wrote in message
>>> . com...

~Candace~

Here's where I get stoned to death by the hardcore tea folks here, lol!
Celestial Seasonings has always been good for me.

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
. com...
> Which brand do you use if you do not mind me asking?
>
> Alex.
>

> "~Candace~" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> For me, drinking and eating are things that happen when I remember I have
>> to do those things. So a lot of tea for me is 2-3 cups a day--but rather
>> consistently. It's also a drink that my oldest child (5yrs) enjoys on
>> occassion. Caffeine has never had a noticable effect on me, so I do use
>> tea as an oasis of calm in my rather hectic days--and my son has picked
>> this up from me. When I serve him a warm mug full, he calms right
>> down--speaking softly, moving gently--such a drastic change from his
>> normal bounce-off-the-wall behavior.
>>
>> On a totally useless note, how can one Not like a tea called Honeybush?
>> The imagry from this name is just so....well....cool.
>>
>> --
>> ~Candace~
>>
>> Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged
>> beader~
>> http://snipurl.com/6s4t
>>
>> Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
>> information~
>> http://snipurl.com/8s8o
>>
>> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
>> om...
>>> Certainly.
>>> Honeybush is a good source of isoflavones which are estrogen mimickers.
>>> However some oncological risks may be involved if you overdo it. (I
>>> know because I have several patents in the field of soy isoflavone as
>>> estrogen balancers)
>>> I say that because when people say that they drink something as a nectar
>>> of life, they are not usually talk about just a cup a day
>>>
>>> Alex.
>>>
>>> "~Candace~" > wrote in message
>>> . com...

Alex Chaihorsky

I think someplace in the group Charter there is a clause "Mentioning of the
CS, let alone buying from them makes the offender an "enemy combatant" and
exclude her ( we cannot even imagine it to be "him" ) from the subjects of
the US Constitution, as was intended, indeed, by the Framers.

Alex.

"~Candace~" > wrote in message
m...
> Here's where I get stoned to death by the hardcore tea folks here, lol!
> Celestial Seasonings has always been good for me.
>
> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> Which brand do you use if you do not mind me asking?
>>
>> Alex.
>>

>> "~Candace~" > wrote in message
>> . com...
>>> For me, drinking and eating are things that happen when I remember I
>>> have to do those things. So a lot of tea for me is 2-3 cups a day--but
>>> rather consistently. It's also a drink that my oldest child (5yrs)
>>> enjoys on occassion. Caffeine has never had a noticable effect on me,
>>> so I do use tea as an oasis of calm in my rather hectic days--and my son
>>> has picked this up from me. When I serve him a warm mug full, he calms
>>> right down--speaking softly, moving gently--such a drastic change from
>>> his normal bounce-off-the-wall behavior.
>>>
>>> On a totally useless note, how can one Not like a tea called Honeybush?
>>> The imagry from this name is just so....well....cool.
>>>
>>> --
>>> ~Candace~
>>>
>>> Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged
>>> beader~
>>> http://snipurl.com/6s4t
>>>
>>> Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
>>> information~
>>> http://snipurl.com/8s8o
>>>
>>> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
>>> om...

Alex Chaihorsky

I think someplace in the group Charter there is a clause "Mentioning of the
CS, let alone buying from them makes the offender an "enemy combatant" and
exclude her ( we cannot even imagine it to be "him" ) from the subjects of
the US Constitution, as was intended, indeed, by the Framers.

Alex.

"~Candace~" > wrote in message
m...
> Here's where I get stoned to death by the hardcore tea folks here, lol!
> Celestial Seasonings has always been good for me.
>
> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> Which brand do you use if you do not mind me asking?
>>
>> Alex.
>>

>> "~Candace~" > wrote in message
>> . com...
>>> For me, drinking and eating are things that happen when I remember I
>>> have to do those things. So a lot of tea for me is 2-3 cups a day--but
>>> rather consistently. It's also a drink that my oldest child (5yrs)
>>> enjoys on occassion. Caffeine has never had a noticable effect on me,
>>> so I do use tea as an oasis of calm in my rather hectic days--and my son
>>> has picked this up from me. When I serve him a warm mug full, he calms
>>> right down--speaking softly, moving gently--such a drastic change from
>>> his normal bounce-off-the-wall behavior.
>>>
>>> On a totally useless note, how can one Not like a tea called Honeybush?
>>> The imagry from this name is just so....well....cool.
>>>
>>> --
>>> ~Candace~
>>>
>>> Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged
>>> beader~
>>> http://snipurl.com/6s4t
>>>
>>> Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
>>> information~
>>> http://snipurl.com/8s8o
>>>
>>> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
>>> om...

~Candace~

I also go in for their Madagascar Vanilla Red.

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
om...
>I think someplace in the group Charter there is a clause "Mentioning of the
>CS, let alone buying from them makes the offender an "enemy combatant" and
>exclude her ( we cannot even imagine it to be "him" ) from the subjects of
>the US Constitution, as was intended, indeed, by the Framers.
>

> Alex.
>
> "~Candace~" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Here's where I get stoned to death by the hardcore tea folks here, lol!
>> Celestial Seasonings has always been good for me.
>>
>> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
>> . com...
>>> Which brand do you use if you do not mind me asking?
>>>
>>> Alex.
>>>

>>> "~Candace~" > wrote in message
>>> . com...

~Candace~

I also go in for their Madagascar Vanilla Red.

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
om...
>I think someplace in the group Charter there is a clause "Mentioning of the
>CS, let alone buying from them makes the offender an "enemy combatant" and
>exclude her ( we cannot even imagine it to be "him" ) from the subjects of
>the US Constitution, as was intended, indeed, by the Framers.
>

> Alex.
>
> "~Candace~" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Here's where I get stoned to death by the hardcore tea folks here, lol!
>> Celestial Seasonings has always been good for me.
>>
>> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
>> . com...
>>> Which brand do you use if you do not mind me asking?
>>>
>>> Alex.
>>>

>>> "~Candace~" > wrote in message
>>> . com...

Space Cowboy

Derek > wrote in message >...

> The owner of my LTS

It took me awhile although I never used caps.

Jim
Space Cowboy

Derek > wrote in message >...

> The owner of my LTS

It took me awhile although I never used caps.

Jim
Space Cowboy

Derek > wrote in message >...

> The owner of my LTS

It took me awhile although I never used caps.

Jim
~Candace~

LOL! I got it right off. Over in the rec.crafts.beads newsgroup, we use
LBS very often, so my brain just put the topic from this playground in the
B's place

--
~Candace~

Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader~
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
information~
http://snipurl.com/8s8o

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
m...
> Derek > wrote in message
>>
>> The owner of my LTS

> It took me awhile although I never used caps.
>
> Jim

Space Cowboy

You can mention the occasional herbal or tisane. One of these days
I'll make a trip to Boulder to visit their processing plant. The best
bowl of green chilli in town served their red zinger with lots of ice.
You needed a fire extinguisher. This tread blew up. It makes me
wish I had access to a newsgroup server. For some strange reason
Google has turned the group around more than once.

Jim

"~Candace~" > wrote in message om>...
> Here's where I get stoned to death by the hardcore tea folks here, lol!
> Celestial Seasonings has always been good for me.

Space Cowboy

"~Candace~" > wrote in message om>...
> Here's where I get stoned to death by the hardcore tea folks here, lol!
> Celestial Seasonings has always been good for me.

fLameDogg

Derek > wrote in :

> fLameDogg rose quietly and spake the following:

>> You might also like rooibos (not truly "tea", but it makes a nice
>> tisane), which supposedly contains no caffeine. I have enjoyed it
>> with milk as a pleasant before-bedtime drink. In fact, I'm pleased
>> to have remembered it.

> I was going to suggest rooibos, but wanted to read through the whole
> thread first. SO let me second this recommendation.

I was kind of surprised no one else had mentioned it. But then again, of
course, this is rfd.tea, not rfd.tisanes...

> An added advantage ot rooibos is that it also takes "adulteration"
> very nicely. My LTS sells several different flavored versions of
> rooibos that are absolutely delicious. In fact, the wife and I are in
> the habit of drinking only rooibos after 5:00PM (caffeine avoidance).

I need to try some of those. I've only tried the red (I guess) rooibos.
I *did* try some "yerba mate carnival" out of curiosity, but find it kind
of ghastly.

Ah, the Keemun may be helping my brain already. LTS = "local tea
seller"?

> And we're currently out, so I'd darned well better get to the shop
> today.

Elsewhere in this topic, Joseph Kubera posted "Nowadays I am so absorbed
with camellia that I seldom drink them", referring to tisanes. I suppose
it's the same for me. I'd plumb forgot that I have some of the red bush
stashed away. So I'm grateful for Dave's inquiry, because it reminded
me, and I truly enjoyed my rooibos last night.

Now to round up some honeybush.

--
fD
fLameDogg

Derek > wrote in :

> fLameDogg rose quietly and spake the following:

>> You might also like rooibos (not truly "tea", but it makes a nice
>> tisane), which supposedly contains no caffeine. I have enjoyed it
>> with milk as a pleasant before-bedtime drink. In fact, I'm pleased
>> to have remembered it.

> I was going to suggest rooibos, but wanted to read through the whole
> thread first. SO let me second this recommendation.

I was kind of surprised no one else had mentioned it. But then again, of
course, this is rfd.tea, not rfd.tisanes...

> An added advantage ot rooibos is that it also takes "adulteration"
> very nicely. My LTS sells several different flavored versions of
> rooibos that are absolutely delicious. In fact, the wife and I are in
> the habit of drinking only rooibos after 5:00PM (caffeine avoidance).

I need to try some of those. I've only tried the red (I guess) rooibos.
I *did* try some "yerba mate carnival" out of curiosity, but find it kind
of ghastly.

Ah, the Keemun may be helping my brain already. LTS = "local tea
seller"?

> And we're currently out, so I'd darned well better get to the shop
> today.

Elsewhere in this topic, Joseph Kubera posted "Nowadays I am so absorbed
with camellia that I seldom drink them", referring to tisanes. I suppose
it's the same for me. I'd plumb forgot that I have some of the red bush
stashed away. So I'm grateful for Dave's inquiry, because it reminded
me, and I truly enjoyed my rooibos last night.

Now to round up some honeybush.

--
fD
fLameDogg

Derek > wrote in :

> fLameDogg rose quietly and spake the following:

>> You might also like rooibos (not truly "tea", but it makes a nice
>> tisane), which supposedly contains no caffeine. I have enjoyed it
>> with milk as a pleasant before-bedtime drink. In fact, I'm pleased
>> to have remembered it.

> I was going to suggest rooibos, but wanted to read through the whole
> thread first. SO let me second this recommendation.

I was kind of surprised no one else had mentioned it. But then again, of
course, this is rfd.tea, not rfd.tisanes...

> An added advantage ot rooibos is that it also takes "adulteration"
> very nicely. My LTS sells several different flavored versions of
> rooibos that are absolutely delicious. In fact, the wife and I are in
> the habit of drinking only rooibos after 5:00PM (caffeine avoidance).

I need to try some of those. I've only tried the red (I guess) rooibos.
I *did* try some "yerba mate carnival" out of curiosity, but find it kind
of ghastly.

Ah, the Keemun may be helping my brain already. LTS = "local tea
seller"?

> And we're currently out, so I'd darned well better get to the shop
> today.

Elsewhere in this topic, Joseph Kubera posted "Nowadays I am so absorbed
with camellia that I seldom drink them", referring to tisanes. I suppose
it's the same for me. I'd plumb forgot that I have some of the red bush
stashed away. So I'm grateful for Dave's inquiry, because it reminded
me, and I truly enjoyed my rooibos last night.

Now to round up some honeybush.

--
fD
Derek

fLameDogg rose quietly and spake the following:

> Derek > wrote in :
>
>> fLameDogg rose quietly and spake the following:

>>> You might also like rooibos (not truly "tea", but it makes a nice
>>> tisane), which supposedly contains no caffeine. I have enjoyed it
>>> with milk as a pleasant before-bedtime drink. In fact, I'm pleased
>>> to have remembered it.

>> I was going to suggest rooibos, but wanted to read through the whole
>> thread first. SO let me second this recommendation.

> I was kind of surprised no one else had mentioned it. But then again, of
> course, this is rfd.tea, not rfd.tisanes...

Well, I had ignored this thread for a couple of days. But since it kept
growing, I figured something interesting must be going on.

>> An added advantage ot rooibos is that it also takes "adulteration"
>> very nicely. My LTS sells several different flavored versions of
>> rooibos that are absolutely delicious. In fact, the wife and I are in
>> the habit of drinking only rooibos after 5:00PM (caffeine avoidance).

> I need to try some of those. I've only tried the red (I guess) rooibos.
> I *did* try some "yerba mate carnival" out of curiosity, but find it kind
> of ghastly.

I'm not a big mate fan. I've done the whole gourd and bombilla thing. It
just doesn't do anything for me.

I did a supply run to the tea shop today. I picked up about 6 different
types of teas, including an orange rooibos (flavored with real orange
pieces), and a Kimberly Melange rooibos (flavored with a bunch of stuff).

They've also got a bourbon flavored rooibos that I just don't like much.

> Ah, the Keemun may be helping my brain already. LTS = "local tea
> seller"?

seller, shop, salon. Whichever floats your boat.

>> And we're currently out, so I'd darned well better get to the shop
>> today.
>>

> Elsewhere in this topic, Joseph Kubera posted "Nowadays I am so absorbed
> with camellia that I seldom drink them", referring to tisanes. I suppose
> it's the same for me. I'd plumb forgot that I have some of the red bush
> stashed away. So I'm grateful for Dave's inquiry, because it reminded
> me, and I truly enjoyed my rooibos last night.

I've got the water heating up right now.

> Now to round up some honeybush.

Ditto. My local shop doesn't stock it.

--
Derek

The nice thing about losing one's marbles is that you only have to pick up
the ones you want.

Derek

fLameDogg rose quietly and spake the following:

> Derek > wrote in :
>
>> fLameDogg rose quietly and spake the following:

>>> You might also like rooibos (not truly "tea", but it makes a nice
>>> tisane), which supposedly contains no caffeine. I have enjoyed it
>>> with milk as a pleasant before-bedtime drink. In fact, I'm pleased
>>> to have remembered it.

>> I was going to suggest rooibos, but wanted to read through the whole
>> thread first. SO let me second this recommendation.

> I was kind of surprised no one else had mentioned it. But then again, of
> course, this is rfd.tea, not rfd.tisanes...

Well, I had ignored this thread for a couple of days. But since it kept
growing, I figured something interesting must be going on.

>> An added advantage ot rooibos is that it also takes "adulteration"
>> very nicely. My LTS sells several different flavored versions of
>> rooibos that are absolutely delicious. In fact, the wife and I are in
>> the habit of drinking only rooibos after 5:00PM (caffeine avoidance).

> I need to try some of those. I've only tried the red (I guess) rooibos.
> I *did* try some "yerba mate carnival" out of curiosity, but find it kind
> of ghastly.

I'm not a big mate fan. I've done the whole gourd and bombilla thing. It
just doesn't do anything for me.

I did a supply run to the tea shop today. I picked up about 6 different
types of teas, including an orange rooibos (flavored with real orange
pieces), and a Kimberly Melange rooibos (flavored with a bunch of stuff).

They've also got a bourbon flavored rooibos that I just don't like much.

> Ah, the Keemun may be helping my brain already. LTS = "local tea
> seller"?

seller, shop, salon. Whichever floats your boat.

>> And we're currently out, so I'd darned well better get to the shop
>> today.
>>

> Elsewhere in this topic, Joseph Kubera posted "Nowadays I am so absorbed
> with camellia that I seldom drink them", referring to tisanes. I suppose
> it's the same for me. I'd plumb forgot that I have some of the red bush
> stashed away. So I'm grateful for Dave's inquiry, because it reminded
> me, and I truly enjoyed my rooibos last night.

I've got the water heating up right now.

> Now to round up some honeybush.

Ditto. My local shop doesn't stock it.

--
Derek

The nice thing about losing one's marbles is that you only have to pick up
the ones you want.
Derek

Space Cowboy rose quietly and spake the following:

> Derek > wrote in message >...
>>
>> The owner of my LTS

> It took me awhile although I never used caps.

Well, "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Tea Saints" just sounds silly.

I could have sworn that I was NOT the first person to use LTS to abbreviate
"local tea shop" but a Google search seems to indicate otherwise. I guess I
shouldn't abbreviate when no one else knows what the heck I'm talking
about.

Then again, most people typically have no idea what the heck I'm talking
about.

--
Derek

"In the spirit of diversity, anyone offering food for thought must also
provide a vegetarian version, as well as low-carb, low fat, and Kosher
versions." -- Glasbergen
Derek

Space Cowboy rose quietly and spake the following:

> Derek > wrote in message >...
>>
>> The owner of my LTS

> It took me awhile although I never used caps.

Well, "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Tea Saints" just sounds silly.

I could have sworn that I was NOT the first person to use LTS to abbreviate
"local tea shop" but a Google search seems to indicate otherwise. I guess I
shouldn't abbreviate when no one else knows what the heck I'm talking
about.

Then again, most people typically have no idea what the heck I'm talking
about.

--
Derek

"In the spirit of diversity, anyone offering food for thought must also
provide a vegetarian version, as well as low-carb, low fat, and Kosher
versions." -- Glasbergen
Derek

Newbie question Billi Preserving 3 06-09-2013 07:30 PM
Newbie Question Greg Horne Sourdough 11 04-01-2007 08:54 AM
Newbie question Marty Phee Winemaking 7 04-10-2005 04:42 PM
Newbie Question Doctor Evil Winemaking 4 10-09-2004 04:09 PM
Newbie Question Douglas Gaulin Winemaking 6 04-12-2003 07:48 PM