Doctor Evil

Default Newbie Question

I'm going to purchase some fresh Zinfandel juice tomorrow.

This is my first "juice" batch so I'm a bit sketchy on what to do.

I know I need to test the pH, acidity and brix, along with SG

I guess I'm confused as to where I need to start my process with the juice.
I know that's probably funny, but do I adjust my juice, and then pitch the
yeast, or do I need to sulfite, stabilize and pitch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doc Evil

--
"I felt evil surging through me, in every fiber of my being. Pure,
undiluted evil. I could taste it."

"How's evil taste?"

"A little chalky."
Joe Sallustio

Most fresh juice comes sulfited and corrected for sugar. You can
check it but if it's fermenting already it does not mean anything.
The acid is often corrected already too. I check them and adjust to
at least 5-5.5 TA. You would probably want the pH under 3.5.

Do all this before pitching the yeast. Do not usestabilizer on juice,
that comes later.
Joe

Doctor Evil > wrote in message >...
> I'm going to purchase some fresh Zinfandel juice tomorrow.
>
> This is my first "juice" batch so I'm a bit sketchy on what to do.
>
> I know I need to test the pH, acidity and brix, along with SG
>
> I guess I'm confused as to where I need to start my process with the juice.
> I know that's probably funny, but do I adjust my juice, and then pitch the
> yeast, or do I need to sulfite, stabilize and pitch.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doc Evil

Joe Sallustio

Newbie question Billi Preserving 3 06-09-2013 07:30 PM
Newbie question LurfysMa Tea 36 26-05-2007 10:10 PM
Newbie Question Greg Horne Sourdough 11 04-01-2007 08:54 AM
Newbie question Marty Phee Winemaking 7 04-10-2005 04:42 PM
Newbie Question Douglas Gaulin Winemaking 6 04-12-2003 07:48 PM