Dave

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
. com...
> Well, I lived all my life before I left the country in what is now St.
> Petersburg, but visited Baku several times and was in army there for 2
> years. The traditional drink in Caucasus is as follows - Georgians - wine,
> wine, wine, Azeris - tea, tea, tea, Armenians - coffee, coffee, coffee.
> Local Russians - all of the above. Funny thing - Turks, who are
> linguistically and genetically almost indistinguishable from Azeris are

not
> tea-drinkers, but rather coffee ones.
> Azeris drink strong black tea closer to Assam than Darjeeling. They drink

it
> from small glasses with "waists" - armuddi, made of glass or crystal.
> The absolute best brewing method is usually a secret of a chaihana - a tea
> house where people literally spend their lives (more men, but some women
> come there too, however it was never popular). Some chaihanas use house
> blends, some sieve out broken teas. Most Aseris would agree that whatever
> you do, you just can't have as good cup of tea at home as in chaihanas.
> Lemon can be used with tea and sugar - they bite small amounts of sugar

and
> wash it down with tea, never putting sugar into tea. Some small sweet

baked
> treats may also be served. My favorite is Azeri baklava which is very
> different from what you an can buy in the States. It is a multilayer (up

> 30-60 almost paper-thin layers) of very fine dough and a mish of mashed
> hazelnuts, sugar, honey and unbelievable mix of spices (Sweet Jesus, I am
> drooling on my keyboard!).
> But although tea is very important - the most important is an atmosphere

of
> a local chaihana with its friendliness, bursts of laughter, stories told
> everywhere... watching the strolling crowd and the hot summer wind from
> Caspian sea and the sea itself shimmering... glowing...
>
> Alex.

Man. You make me miss Russia, and I've never been there. How did you
leave?

Dave

> "Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> >
> > It might be the music, not the tea. I really like Azeri music a lot,
> > having
> > been in North west Iran and having listened to the music on the radio.
> > Beyond the little glasses and sugar held between the teeth, would you
> > describe the Azeri style.
> >
> > Michael
> >

> > Alex digy.com9/9/04
> >

> >> BTW, it paid in our family to be tea-lovers ("Chaihor"). My Dad who

was
> >> one
> >> of the "fathers" of Russian atomic bomb at the time when almost nothing
> >> was
> >> known about the physiological effects of radiation had it so bad that

he
> >> had
> >> real burns time to time from radioactivity and he has fine crescents of
> >> clouds on the lower part of his eyes due to alpha irradiation. Despite
> >> that
> >> and his age (85) he takes almost no medications and runs a mile every
> >> day.
> >> All his life he was drinking 12 cups of strong Ceylon or Indian tea
> >> brewed
> >> "Azeri style" - boiling water added to tea and the tea is heated slowly
> >> just
> >> to the point of boiling (never boiling).
> >> All my attempts to introduce him to green teas or oolongs were futile.

In
> >> his family people lived to be 110 - 115 years old.
> >> Caffeine? - Go figure...
> >>
> >> Alex.

Dave

"cc" > wrote in message

> "Dave" > wrote in message
>
> > Speaking of the Japanese Tea Ceremony, I have the small kit sold under

> that
> > name in some bookstores,

> That must be the new age Zen Tea someone was talking about. Why do you

call
> that *Japanese* ? That doesn't exist in Asia. Tea is a drink. Serving it

is
> a party.

Sorry. My mistake. It's just called "The Tea Ceremony."

> >as well as another called "About Tea" or something
> > like that. The second one contains only a book of meditative thoughts

and
> > two ceramic cups. The first contains other paraphernailia for the

purpose
> > of actually trying to replicate the ceremony with some feeling of seeing

> the
> > genuine thing. I am sure it is the abbreviated version, for Americans,

> but
> > it's a start.

> I'd say a breakfast tea organised by Martha Stewart would be 10000000

times
> closer to Japanese tea than your circus. She'd get the feeling.
>
> Any ideas on where to go next? I hope to someday fly to
> > Florida for the purpose of having tea with the guy who wrote the forward

> > the copy of The Book Of Tea that came in the first kit.

> Can you read English ? As you bought it, you should read the Book of Tea.

I am reading it, but I am not satisfied with only that. Thus my questions.

> > Like I said, I would really
> > like to experience something as close to The Real Thing as I can manage.

> Get invited to drink tea by Japanese people. If you can't, look for a
> tearoom/restaurant that will treat you as a guest.
> Even if that takes ages to get the room well and the flowers in their

place,
> the real thing is just that. : receiving friends and serving them tea.
> I don't know any bookstore that sells that.

Found a Japanese lady here in Houston who teaches the Tea Ceremony at a
local restaraunt (Urasenke school). Also found a handbook (volumes 1 & 2)
of the Urasenke school, which I will probably get. That's a start.

> Kuri

Dave

Dave

"cc" > wrote in message

> "Dave" > wrote in message
>
> > Speaking of the Japanese Tea Ceremony, I have the small kit sold under

> that
> > name in some bookstores,

> That must be the new age Zen Tea someone was talking about. Why do you

call
> that *Japanese* ? That doesn't exist in Asia. Tea is a drink. Serving it

is
> a party.

Sorry. My mistake. It's just called "The Tea Ceremony."

> >as well as another called "About Tea" or something
> > like that. The second one contains only a book of meditative thoughts

and
> > two ceramic cups. The first contains other paraphernailia for the

purpose
> > of actually trying to replicate the ceremony with some feeling of seeing

> the
> > genuine thing. I am sure it is the abbreviated version, for Americans,

> but
> > it's a start.

> I'd say a breakfast tea organised by Martha Stewart would be 10000000

times
> closer to Japanese tea than your circus. She'd get the feeling.
>
> Any ideas on where to go next? I hope to someday fly to
> > Florida for the purpose of having tea with the guy who wrote the forward

> > the copy of The Book Of Tea that came in the first kit.

> Can you read English ? As you bought it, you should read the Book of Tea.

I am reading it, but I am not satisfied with only that. Thus my questions.

> > Like I said, I would really
> > like to experience something as close to The Real Thing as I can manage.

> Get invited to drink tea by Japanese people. If you can't, look for a
> tearoom/restaurant that will treat you as a guest.
> Even if that takes ages to get the room well and the flowers in their

place,
> the real thing is just that. : receiving friends and serving them tea.
> I don't know any bookstore that sells that.

Found a Japanese lady here in Houston who teaches the Tea Ceremony at a
local restaraunt (Urasenke school). Also found a handbook (volumes 1 & 2)
of the Urasenke school, which I will probably get. That's a start.

> Kuri

Dave

Dave

"cc" > wrote in message

> "Dave" > wrote in message
>
> > Speaking of the Japanese Tea Ceremony, I have the small kit sold under

> that
> > name in some bookstores,

> That must be the new age Zen Tea someone was talking about. Why do you

call
> that *Japanese* ? That doesn't exist in Asia. Tea is a drink. Serving it

is
> a party.

Sorry. My mistake. It's just called "The Tea Ceremony."

> >as well as another called "About Tea" or something
> > like that. The second one contains only a book of meditative thoughts

and
> > two ceramic cups. The first contains other paraphernailia for the

purpose
> > of actually trying to replicate the ceremony with some feeling of seeing

> the
> > genuine thing. I am sure it is the abbreviated version, for Americans,

> but
> > it's a start.

> I'd say a breakfast tea organised by Martha Stewart would be 10000000

times
> closer to Japanese tea than your circus. She'd get the feeling.
>
> Any ideas on where to go next? I hope to someday fly to
> > Florida for the purpose of having tea with the guy who wrote the forward

> > the copy of The Book Of Tea that came in the first kit.

> Can you read English ? As you bought it, you should read the Book of Tea.

I am reading it, but I am not satisfied with only that. Thus my questions.

> > Like I said, I would really
> > like to experience something as close to The Real Thing as I can manage.

> Get invited to drink tea by Japanese people. If you can't, look for a
> tearoom/restaurant that will treat you as a guest.
> Even if that takes ages to get the room well and the flowers in their

place,
> the real thing is just that. : receiving friends and serving them tea.
> I don't know any bookstore that sells that.

Found a Japanese lady here in Houston who teaches the Tea Ceremony at a
local restaraunt (Urasenke school). Also found a handbook (volumes 1 & 2)
of the Urasenke school, which I will probably get. That's a start.

> Kuri

Dave

Dave

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
om...
> I'd say your measurements maybe on brisk side. I probably use 5g in
> my 24 oz pot. I've never weighed what goes in my pot. I use the test
> of time. What taste good too you is all that matters. I'm in a bulk
> herbal store the other day and the minimum purchase 1/2 oz. I noticed
> the oz scale was graduated by the tenth. So I switched to the gram
> scale for a more precise measurement. I noticed the checkout weight
> was oz so I made sure to be a gram under the next graduated tenth.
> Who says metrics don't pay. I'm more sensitive to oz and gram since I
> started buying from my local tea shoppe. An oz here or some grams
> there don't matter when you buy commercial teas. But it sure does
> when that is the basic unit of cost for estate teas. So for really
> expensive teas pay by the gram and not oz.
>
> Jim

"Brisk." Okay. It is just barely strong enough for me, and I feel it is
actuall a little weak, but that is the best I can do with my current pot and
teaball. Still, it satisfies. Guess that's what matters.

Dave

> "Dave" > wrote in message

> > "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > For a bench mark tea has 50% levels of caffeine compared to coffee.

> snipped because nothing bores me more than me
> > > Jim
> > >

> > Thanks for the input. I am currently brewing roughly a pint and a half
> > using what I *think* (haven't measured it yet, maybe tomorrow) is 10 -12
> > grams of Jasmine tea. This gives me three cups (of about 8 or 9 ounces
> > each) at a very pleasant level of "full-bodidness" (if you will allow me

> > use such a moronic term.) I would describe it as "genuine" with just a

hint
> > of bitterness (brewed for 3:30 to 4:00 minutes before removing the

leaves).
> > I used to drink very strong coffee, and I don't know how this would rank
> > among cups of tea, but it satisfies. What does it sound like to you?

Is
> > this a fairly weak cuppa? Or am I jumping in at the deep end?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dave

Dave

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> fLameDogg rose quietly and spake the following:
>
> > Derek > wrote in :
> >
> >> fLameDogg rose quietly and spake the following:

> >> I was going to suggest rooibos, but wanted to read through the whole
> >> thread first. SO let me second this recommendation.

> > I was kind of surprised no one else had mentioned it. But then again,

of
> > course, this is rfd.tea, not rfd.tisanes...

> Well, I had ignored this thread for a couple of days. But since it kept
> growing, I figured something interesting must be going on.
>
> >> An added advantage ot rooibos is that it also takes "adulteration"
> >> very nicely. My LTS sells several different flavored versions of
> >> rooibos that are absolutely delicious. In fact, the wife and I are in
> >> the habit of drinking only rooibos after 5:00PM (caffeine avoidance).

> > I need to try some of those. I've only tried the red (I guess) rooibos.
> > I *did* try some "yerba mate carnival" out of curiosity, but find it

kind
> > of ghastly.

> I'm not a big mate fan. I've done the whole gourd and bombilla thing. It
> just doesn't do anything for me.
>
> I did a supply run to the tea shop today. I picked up about 6 different
> types of teas, including an orange rooibos (flavored with real orange
> pieces), and a Kimberly Melange rooibos (flavored with a bunch of stuff).
>
> They've also got a bourbon flavored rooibos that I just don't like much.
>
> > Ah, the Keemun may be helping my brain already. LTS = "local tea
> > seller"?

> seller, shop, salon. Whichever floats your boat.
>
> >> And we're currently out, so I'd darned well better get to the shop
> >> today.
> >>

> > Elsewhere in this topic, Joseph Kubera posted "Nowadays I am so absorbed
> > with camellia that I seldom drink them", referring to tisanes. I

suppose
> > it's the same for me. I'd plumb forgot that I have some of the red bush
> > stashed away. So I'm grateful for Dave's inquiry, because it reminded
> > me, and I truly enjoyed my rooibos last night.

> I've got the water heating up right now.
>
> > Now to round up some honeybush.

> Ditto. My local shop doesn't stock it.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> The nice thing about losing one's marbles is that you only have to pick up
> the ones you want.

Man, after hearing so much about rooibos I've got to find a source. Thanks.

Dave

Derek

Dave rose quietly and spake the following:

> Man, after hearing so much about rooibos I've got to find a source. Thanks.

If no where else, my local tea shop has an online shop as well. You can get
it from them. They've got 5 different types listed on the site.

www.teashop.us

I'm sure there are other sites which sell it. I just tend to buy locally.

--
Derek

Road Kill Cafe - We make it your way, right away.
Straight from your grill to ours.
Derek

Dave rose quietly and spake the following:

> Man, after hearing so much about rooibos I've got to find a source. Thanks.

If no where else, my local tea shop has an online shop as well. You can get
it from them. They've got 5 different types listed on the site.

www.teashop.us

I'm sure there are other sites which sell it. I just tend to buy locally.

--
Derek

Road Kill Cafe - We make it your way, right away.
Straight from your grill to ours.
Space Cowboy

I've always used local tea shoppe for the European flair. Never
thought I needed to protect it with call letters. Mine is about mile
and half away. Across two busy intersections but otherwise enjoyable
walk through commercial area with sidewalk. Not bad for living in a
metro area where you need MapQuest to find it and if you live in any
other quadrant forget it. I usually drive because Walmart is another
half mile and I'm willing to push a shopping cart but would probably
get arrested by the city police because it is an expensive SUV commute
community and nobody walks anywhere. I live on the outskirts of city
limits. I hate paying that local sales tax but still get that tax
break when items are delivered from LDS (local Depot center).

Jim

Derek > wrote in message >...
> Space Cowboy rose quietly and spake the following:
>
> > Derek > wrote in message >...
> >>
> >> The owner of my LTS

> > It took me awhile although I never used caps.

> Well, "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Tea Saints" just sounds silly.
>
> I could have sworn that I was NOT the first person to use LTS to abbreviate
> "local tea shop" but a Google search seems to indicate otherwise. I guess I
> shouldn't abbreviate when no one else knows what the heck I'm talking
> about.
>
> Then again, most people typically have no idea what the heck I'm talking
> about.

Space Cowboy

Derek > wrote in message >...
> Space Cowboy rose quietly and spake the following:
>
> > Derek > wrote in message >...
> >>
> >> The owner of my LTS

> > It took me awhile although I never used caps.

> Well, "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Tea Saints" just sounds silly.
>
> I could have sworn that I was NOT the first person to use LTS to abbreviate
> "local tea shop" but a Google search seems to indicate otherwise. I guess I
> shouldn't abbreviate when no one else knows what the heck I'm talking
> about.
>
> Then again, most people typically have no idea what the heck I'm talking
> about.

Rick Chappell

Well, this seems to be the time for reminiscence. Not a bad thing in
general (excepting my Aunt Rose on the topic of her operations).

Russian culture is a broad and deep thing. My ancestors, Jews in the
far West of Russia, also drank tea from small glasses while holding
lumps of sugar in their remaining teeth.

And now, I am happy to announce, I have gone full circle (in some
respects - I'm not burying my jewelry in case Cossaks raid the shtetl,
or hurling bombs at the oppressive authorities [the latter in time,
perhaps]): I have just received, compliments of a generous aunt (not
Rose), a samovar. A new one meant for the American electric grid not
the old-world type which use charcoal and give one lead poisoning.
Its urn holds 18 cups (one gallon, one pint) and it's beautiful. All
stainless steel mounted on little stylized feet with porcelain knobs
and a cute little pot on top. But watch out - it's conducive to
pretty heavy doses. The first night I was up at 3:00 a.m. (kind of
like finding a new lover). And best of all, it works nicely for small
amounts too. I suspect that the only drawback is that it probably
won't work for teas which are sensitive to oversteeping, like
Darjeeling. I think it's fine for greens if the little pot on top is
emptied at each serving and then resteeped when needed. The water
temp. is easy to adjust.

Alex: I'm in need of terminology here. What do you call the little
pot? What do you call the concentrate in the pot? And, as long as
I'm asking for free information, do Azeris put cardamom in their tea?
I've tried it with Persian tea (mixture of Caucasian-Persian and
Ceylonese, according to the vendor) and it's great. Of course the
Persian tea is good on its own - very mild, perfect for the samovar.

Alex Chaihorsky > wrote:
> years. The traditional drink in Caucasus is as follows - Georgians - wine,
> wine, wine, Azeris - tea, tea, tea, Armenians - coffee, coffee, coffee.
> Local Russians - all of the above.

What, not vodka? What kind of mutant Russians live there?

> wash it down with tea, never putting sugar into tea. Some small sweet baked
> treats may also be served. My favorite is Azeri baklava which is very
> different from what you an can buy in the States. It is a multilayer (up to
> 30-60 almost paper-thin layers) of very fine dough and a mish of mashed

My theory is the common cup-made-out-of-phyllo-dough-filled with nuts
etc. baklava in the U.S. is a product of laziness and
mass-production. My mother makes baklava as do the Azeris, but with
pistachios not hazelnuts, with all the laborious layers, and she's
from Rumania. Now, another important subject: do Azeris eat halvah?

> hazelnuts, sugar, honey and unbelievable mix of spices (Sweet Jesus, I am
> drooling on my keyboard!).

Beats other common reasons for drooling on one's keyboard.

Best wishes,

Rick.

Rick Chappell

Alex Chaihorsky > wrote:
> years. The traditional drink in Caucasus is as follows - Georgians - wine,
> wine, wine, Azeris - tea, tea, tea, Armenians - coffee, coffee, coffee.
> Local Russians - all of the above.

What, not vodka? What kind of mutant Russians live there?

> wash it down with tea, never putting sugar into tea. Some small sweet baked
> treats may also be served. My favorite is Azeri baklava which is very
> different from what you an can buy in the States. It is a multilayer (up to
> 30-60 almost paper-thin layers) of very fine dough and a mish of mashed

My theory is the common cup-made-out-of-phyllo-dough-filled with nuts
etc. baklava in the U.S. is a product of laziness and
mass-production. My mother makes baklava as do the Azeris, but with
pistachios not hazelnuts, with all the laborious layers, and she's
from Rumania. Now, another important subject: do Azeris eat halvah?

> hazelnuts, sugar, honey and unbelievable mix of spices (Sweet Jesus, I am
> drooling on my keyboard!).

Beats other common reasons for drooling on one's keyboard.

Best wishes,

Rick.

Rick Chappell

Alex Chaihorsky > wrote:

> What can be better than to be shot by a woman science teacher defending her
> property rights?

Perhaps one or two other things I can think of (especially concerning a woman
science teacher - yow, yow yow: second in attraction only to librarians).
For one thing, she's bound to know where to shoot (third intercostal gap).

Still off topic,

Rick.
Rick Chappell

Alex Chaihorsky > wrote:

> What can be better than to be shot by a woman science teacher defending her
> property rights?

Perhaps one or two other things I can think of (especially concerning a woman
science teacher - yow, yow yow: second in attraction only to librarians).
For one thing, she's bound to know where to shoot (third intercostal gap).

Still off topic,

Rick.

cc

"Dave" > wrote in message

> Sorry. My mistake. It's just called "The Tea Ceremony."

Actually, it is not in Asian languages. In Japan, it's litterally "tea's
water" or just "tea" when you do it, "the path of tea" when you study it.

> Found a Japanese lady here in Houston who teaches the Tea Ceremony at a
> local restaraunt (Urasenke school). Also found a handbook (volumes 1 & 2)
> of the Urasenke school, which I will probably get. That's a start.

I suggest you participate as a guest a few times and talk to the teacher
before getting any hand-book or technical description.
Anyway, I don't think a Japanese tea meeting has much sense outside the
Japanese
context.

In a Japanese environment the so-called "tea ceremony" doesn't seem that
special. Even if the country has changed and is changing very quickly. The
room for Japanese tea is a normal Japanese room (the room from where I am
writing now would have been fit for tea...if I had not put my computer and
all my things in it), most instruments were normal household instruments
used at least till 100 yr ago, the kimono was the normal outfit (till the
after-war for most women), the way of sitting down normal (till 20 yr ago,
still common nowadays), the sweets are everyday sweets (and were the only
type available), macha has been there long before Sencha and other brewed
teas. It was really a very normal way to receive guests. And for Japanese of
a certain generation and background, it is still as casual as serving a mug
with a lipton bag to guests sitting on your sofa (for them, it may be more
casual to sit on the floor and whisk macha than bringing a mug from the
kitchen and sitting in a sofa).
The other day, I went to a traditional old man's house. He received me just
as if it was a "tea ceremony". The room was the same, we sat down the same
way. His wife had placed decorations (flowers and calligraphy). We sat with
the feet perfectly folded under our bums...but we drank iced coffee. I was
there for work not for tea and it was not the hour for macha.

So, I think your idea of discipline and following strict rules is false, or
at least very exagerated. But I get where you've seen that. Samurai fictions
are to Japan what Westerns are to the U.S.

The goal of tea is to "receive guests" and you study to perfect the skills
of refined host, for the benefit of your family and friends.
So, the emphasis is on preparing all the material details of guests' visit
(decoration of the house, the room...), and serving smoothly.
Until recently 99% of Japanese people knew how to whisk macha in a bowl
before they attend any tea class. So they mostly study to improve their
style, learn how to choose season sweets, season flowers, season
calligraphy, artistic objects and make an harmonious set. I'd compare it
with studying about wine, cooking, cutelry, glasses, etc, in order to be
able to compose nice menus for various occasions. The menu is limitated to
macha and a sweet, so they focus on all the surrounding.

Art is present in tea meeting. It's about popular arts that were traditional
hobbies for many people in Asia. A tea master is an artist, or at least an
art teacher, that has knowledge in pottery, flowers, painting, calligraphy
and kimonos. A number of tea masters are also specialists in a field like
collecting a certain type of antique pottery, kimono styling, etc. Guests
are supposed to appreciate the efforts to provide nice objects and harmonise
them. Westerners (and young Japanese too) may not know much of all that, so
it's hard to appreciate before taking the time to discover. And well, that
can't interest everybody.

I think Tanizaki in "Praise of the shadow" made a good description of what
it is about. He also explains the practical and esthetic choices made for
the Japanese tea.

Kuri

..

cc

"Dave" > wrote in message

> [...]

macha and a sweet, so they focus on all the surrounding.

Art is present in tea meeting. It's about popular arts that were traditional
hobbies for many people in Asia. A tea master is an artist, or at least an
art teacher, that has knowledge in pottery, flowers, painting, calligraphy
and kimonos. A number of tea masters are also specialists in a field like
collecting a certain type of antique pottery, kimono styling, etc. Guests
are supposed to appreciate the efforts to provide nice objects and harmonise
them. Westerners (and young Japanese too) may not know much of all that, so
it's hard to appreciate before taking the time to discover. And well, that
can't interest everybody.

I think Tanizaki in "Praise of the shadow" made a good description of what
it is about. He also explains the practical and esthetic choices made for

Alex Chaihorsky

Well, being myself on my mother's side Russian Jewish too, I can tell you
that is't a big question
who raided whom and who opressed whom. Took me all my life to sort these
things out...

The little pot (for concentrated tea that is called "zavarka" in Russian
(from zavarivat' - to steep) is called "zavarochny chainik" (chaihik -
teapot).
I have heard of cardamon in tea from my Baku relatives, but never saw it
being dome myself.
BTW, the best fuel for samovar was never coal, but furtree cones, old, dry
ones. Mother of God, I am drooling again - we need to change the subject!

You are absolutely right - Russians who live in Caucasis are mutants - in a
good way if you ask me. Typical Russian alchogolism is not as rampant there.
On the subject of baklava, you are righ - its laziness (I do not want to
say that first about people in teh country that gave me shelter).
The baklava you buy here is not baklava at all. Pistacious, ha? Interesting
(drool-drool ...
Halvah? Do Azeris eat halvah???!!! Are ye kiddn me? My God! Did you have to
remind me? Now I need to go find me some....

Alex
(May be its time to start using my Riussian name -Sasha, here since we are
talking so many things Russian now...)

"Rick Chappell" > wrote in message
> [...]

> What, not vodka? What kind of mutant Russians live there?
>
>> wash it down with tea, never putting sugar into tea. Some small sweet
>> baked
>> treats may also be served. My favorite is Azeri baklava which is very
>> different from what you an can buy in the States. It is a multilayer (up
>> 30-60 almost paper-thin layers) of very fine dough and a mish of mashed

> My theory is the common cup-made-out-of-phyllo-dough-filled with nuts
> etc. baklava in the U.S. is a product of laziness and
> mass-production. My mother makes baklava as do the Azeris, but with
> pistachios not hazelnuts, with all the laborious layers, and she's
> from Rumania. Now, another important subject: do Azeris eat halvah?
>
>> hazelnuts, sugar, honey and unbelievable mix of spices (Sweet Jesus, I am
>> drooling on my keyboard!).

> Beats other common reasons for drooling on one's keyboard.

Michael Plant

So, Sasha,

What's a fellow of such obvious high caliber doing in Reno?

Misha

Alex igy.com9/10/04

> [...]

>>> wash it down with tea, never putting sugar into tea. Some small sweet
>>> baked
>>> treats may also be served. My favorite is Azeri baklava which is very
>>> different from what you an can buy in the States. It is a multilayer (up
>>> 30-60 almost paper-thin layers) of very fine dough and a mish of mashed

>> My theory is the common cup-made-out-of-phyllo-dough-filled with nuts
>> etc. baklava in the U.S. is a product of laziness and
>> mass-production. My mother makes baklava as do the Azeris, but with
>> pistachios not hazelnuts, with all the laborious layers, and she's
>> from Rumania. Now, another important subject: do Azeris eat halvah?
>>
>>> hazelnuts, sugar, honey and unbelievable mix of spices (Sweet Jesus, I am
>>> drooling on my keyboard!).

>> Beats other common reasons for drooling on one's keyboard.

Derek

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:22:59 GMT, Michael Plant wrote:

> So, Sasha,
>
> What's a fellow of such obvious high caliber doing in Reno?
>
> Misha

Trying to acquire some spontaneous funding for high caliber ideas? No,
wait. That'd be Las Vegas. Ne'er mind.

Derek

(Unfortunately, Gaelic names have no Slavic diminutives.)
--

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is to just fire all of the
unhappy people.

Alex Chaihorsky

I was introduced to the O-tya Do in 1980 by former Japanese prisoners of war
in East Siberia and their sons who never saw Japan and whose mothertongue
was Russian. Most of them left for Japan in 1950-ies, but some stay. I was a
geologist and befriended them after they learned that I studied Wen Yan
(ancient Chinese) and some Japanese literature as a hobby.
They never mentioned anything about things Japanese before. One wouldn't
even know that they are Japanese, if not their names. After they learned who
I was and we spent countless evenings at the fire discussing Heyan,
Tokugawa, Meiji, they asked me if I would join them for Tea Ceremony.

We walked over a mile and a half along the river upstream from my field
camp. There, on the high ground facing the river they put 4 poles on the
ground that became a tearoom. The calligraphy was written by fingers on the
fresh wet riverbank and everything was so solemn and noble, I had the hair
on my back standing up.
I will not decsribe the underscribable. I cannot hold tears even now. But
anyone who thinks that Bushido is dead should think again. I saw it alive
and strong, bold and noble, right in front of me - in the eyes and movements
of old, defeated samurai and their Russian born, Russian speaking,
half-Russian by blood, sons.

I also must say that before that I already I abandoned my studies of
Japanese, of which I have done quite a bit, after I discovered the accounts
of what Japanese officers did to civilians (including women and nuns) during
WW2 and the Nankin story in China. Not that Russians, who killled millions
during Stalin purges or my Jewish coreligionists in Occupied territories or
Americans who sold Indians smallpox-infected blankets were any better. But
the fact that it was educated, well-borne and well-bred Japanese made a
difference for me.

But during these event on the banks of the unnamed river in East Siberia I
saw something that transcended time and culture. I am sure that if there
are warrior clan culture on some distant planet, they would have similar, if
not same, ays of re-inforcing their values. May be in today's Japan the
true menaing of O-tya Do silently stepped back into the shadows for
political and other reasons. But I have no doubt that it will come back
again, as soon as Japan will re-introduce itself to Bushido and other things
Japanese. And if one does not believe that it will happen, one has no idea
what it is - Japan.

Alex.

"cc" > wrote in message

> [...]

> Art is present in tea meeting. It's about popular arts that were
> traditional
> hobbies for many people in Asia. A tea master is an artist, or at least an
> art teacher, that has knowledge in pottery, flowers, painting, calligraphy
> and kimonos. A number of tea masters are also specialists in a field like
> collecting a certain type of antique pottery, kimono styling, etc. Guests
> are supposed to appreciate the efforts to provide nice objects and
> harmonise
> them. Westerners (and young Japanese too) may not know much of all that,
> so
> it's hard to appreciate before taking the time to discover. And well, that
> can't interest everybody.
>
> I think Tanizaki in "Praise of the shadow" made a good description of what
> it is about. He also explains the practical and esthetic choices made for

Alex Chaihorsky

"cc" > wrote in message

> [...]

> Art is present in tea meeting. It's about popular arts that were
> traditional
> hobbies for many people in Asia. A tea master is an artist, or at least an
> art teacher, that has knowledge in pottery, flowers, painting, calligraphy
> and kimonos. A number of tea masters are also specialists in a field like
> collecting a certain type of antique pottery, kimono styling, etc. Guests
> are supposed to appreciate the efforts to provide nice objects and
> harmonise
> them. Westerners (and young Japanese too) may not know much of all that,
> so
> it's hard to appreciate before taking the time to discover. And well, that
> can't interest everybody.
>
> I think Tanizaki in "Praise of the shadow" made a good description of what
> it is about. He also explains the practical and esthetic choices made for

Alex Chaihorsky

Actually, yes...
I am in Reno for two reaons - my first profession is gold exploration
geology and this is where its done, so I can make a buck or two when things
get tight...
But mining is a very cyclical business and one has to do something else...
So in 1993 I started a new thing with a world renown Russian virologist and
in time we developed a new, mathematical concept or rapid development of
non-viral syntheric vaccines.
Today we have a peptide vaccine against almost all types of Herpes Virus,
first in the world.
If you live in Reno, its cheap and the authorities are not freaked out by
our name - Bio-Virus, as they were in CA, where every month someone decided
that the State has to put its nose in each and every of my rooms. In Reno I
can afford much more with my limited resources.

For past 4 years I do a very unpleasant thing - turn down money from wrong
people. We need quite a chunk to take our vaccine through FDA and I need
real friends and serious investors, not that Bay Area "gimme back my dolla
yesterday" schmucks.

Sorry for all that rumbling, I guess Misha provoked me with his very kind
words.

Sasha.

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:22:59 GMT, Michael Plant wrote:
>
>> So, Sasha,
>>
>> What's a fellow of such obvious high caliber doing in Reno?
>>
>> Misha

> Trying to acquire some spontaneous funding for high caliber ideas? No,
> wait. That'd be Las Vegas. Ne'er mind.
>

> Derek
>
> (Unfortunately, Gaelic names have no Slavic diminutives.)
> --
>
> Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is to just fire all of the
> unhappy people.

Derek

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:07:40 GMT, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

[ snipped Sasha's "business plan" ]

That's actually pretty cool.

"We've" never found a way to cure a virus, but we can vaccinate. I think
it's a really interesting field of study. Now if "we" could just find a
functional HIV vaccine....

Good luck!

--
Derek

"Meddle not in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle, and will p!$$ on
your cyberdeck." - Jeff Wilder
Lewis Perin

"Alex Chaihorsky" > writes:

> [...]
>
> The little pot (for concentrated tea that is called "zavarka" in Russian
> (from zavarivat' - to steep) is called "zavarochny chainik" (chaihik -
> teapot).

OK, this calls for a reference to the Russian Tea HOWTO:

http://home.fazekas.hu/~nagydani/rth...-HOWTO-v2.html

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Dave

"cc" > wrote in message

> [...]

> Art is present in tea meeting. It's about popular arts that were

traditional
> hobbies for many people in Asia. A tea master is an artist, or at least an
> art teacher, that has knowledge in pottery, flowers, painting, calligraphy
> and kimonos. A number of tea masters are also specialists in a field like
> collecting a certain type of antique pottery, kimono styling, etc. Guests
> are supposed to appreciate the efforts to provide nice objects and

harmonise
> them. Westerners (and young Japanese too) may not know much of all that,

so
> it's hard to appreciate before taking the time to discover. And well, that
> can't interest everybody.
>
> I think Tanizaki in "Praise of the shadow" made a good description of what
> it is about. He also explains the practical and esthetic choices made for

Wow. Thank you for all the info. I'm saving this in a Word doc, so I can
find it again. Much appreciated. I will look for a copy of Praise of the
Shadow.

Dave

Dave

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
om...
> I was introduced to the O-tya Do in 1980 by former Japanese prisoners of

war
> in East Siberia and their sons who never saw Japan and whose mothertongue
> was Russian. Most of them left for Japan in 1950-ies, but some stay. I was

> geologist and befriended them after they learned that I studied Wen Yan
> (ancient Chinese) and some Japanese literature as a hobby.
> They never mentioned anything about things Japanese before. One wouldn't
> even know that they are Japanese, if not their names. After they learned

who
> I was and we spent countless evenings at the fire discussing Heyan,
> Tokugawa, Meiji, they asked me if I would join them for Tea Ceremony.
>
> We walked over a mile and a half along the river upstream from my field
> camp. There, on the high ground facing the river they put 4 poles on the
> ground that became a tearoom. The calligraphy was written by fingers on

the
> fresh wet riverbank and everything was so solemn and noble, I had the hair
> on my back standing up.
> I will not decsribe the underscribable. I cannot hold tears even now. But
> anyone who thinks that Bushido is dead should think again. I saw it alive
> and strong, bold and noble, right in front of me - in the eyes and

movements
> of old, defeated samurai and their Russian born, Russian speaking,
> half-Russian by blood, sons.
>
> I also must say that before that I already I abandoned my studies of
> Japanese, of which I have done quite a bit, after I discovered the

accounts
> of what Japanese officers did to civilians (including women and nuns)

during
> WW2 and the Nankin story in China. Not that Russians, who killled millions
> during Stalin purges or my Jewish coreligionists in Occupied territories

or
> Americans who sold Indians smallpox-infected blankets were any better. But
> the fact that it was educated, well-borne and well-bred Japanese made a
> difference for me.
>
> But during these event on the banks of the unnamed river in East Siberia I
> saw something that transcended time and culture. I am sure that if there
> are warrior clan culture on some distant planet, they would have similar,

if
> not same, ays of re-inforcing their values. May be in today's Japan the
> true menaing of O-tya Do silently stepped back into the shadows for
> political and other reasons. But I have no doubt that it will come back
> again, as soon as Japan will re-introduce itself to Bushido and other

things
> Japanese. And if one does not believe that it will happen, one has no idea
> what it is - Japan.
>
> Alex.

Damn. A lifetime experience. You couldn't buy that with monay. What a
tale. Thank you. I'm saving this, too. Takes my breath away.

Dave

> [...]

> > art teacher, that has knowledge in pottery, flowers, painting,

calligraphy
> > and kimonos. A number of tea masters are also specialists in a field

like
> > collecting a certain type of antique pottery, kimono styling, etc.

Guests
> > are supposed to appreciate the efforts to provide nice objects and
> > harmonise
> > them. Westerners (and young Japanese too) may not know much of all that,
> > so
> > it's hard to appreciate before taking the time to discover. And well,

that
> > can't interest everybody.
> >
> > I think Tanizaki in "Praise of the shadow" made a good description of

what
> > it is about. He also explains the practical and esthetic choices made

Dave

> [...]

> > art teacher, that has knowledge in pottery, flowers, painting,

calligraphy
> > and kimonos. A number of tea masters are also specialists in a field

like
> > collecting a certain type of antique pottery, kimono styling, etc.

Guests
> > are supposed to appreciate the efforts to provide nice objects and
> > harmonise
> > them. Westerners (and young Japanese too) may not know much of all that,
> > so
> > it's hard to appreciate before taking the time to discover. And well,

that
> > can't interest everybody.
> >
> > I think Tanizaki in "Praise of the shadow" made a good description of

what
> > it is about. He also explains the practical and esthetic choices made

Derek

On 10 Sep 2004 12:36:20 -0400, Lewis Perin wrote:

> "Alex Chaihorsky" > writes:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> The little pot (for concentrated tea that is called "zavarka" in Russian
>> (from zavarivat' - to steep) is called "zavarochny chainik" (chaihik -
>> teapot).

> OK, this calls for a reference to the Russian Tea HOWTO:
>
> http://home.fazekas.hu/~nagydani/rth...-HOWTO-v2.html

Dang it. I brought home Red Army watches, Matrioshki, and books. I should
have flippin' bought a samovar!

--
Derek

"Politics does not make strange bedfellows. Marriage does." -- Groucho Marx
Alex Chaihorsky

Believe it or not there is a site here in the US that sells real ones, from
before revolution as well as new, electrical ones. I think it's "Sovietsky
Collection" or something. The old ones I saw for $600 and new ones are much
cheaper.
So you can have your samovar and drink from it too !

Sasha.

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On 10 Sep 2004 12:36:20 -0400, Lewis Perin wrote:
>
>> "Alex Chaihorsky" > writes:
>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> The little pot (for concentrated tea that is called "zavarka" in Russian
>>> (from zavarivat' - to steep) is called "zavarochny chainik" (chaihik -
>>> teapot).

>> OK, this calls for a reference to the Russian Tea HOWTO:
>>
>> http://home.fazekas.hu/~nagydani/rth...-HOWTO-v2.html

> Dang it. I brought home Red Army watches, Matrioshki, and books. I should
> have flippin' bought a samovar!
>
> --
> Derek
>
> "Politics does not make strange bedfellows. Marriage does." -- Groucho
> Marx

Alex Chaihorsky

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On 10 Sep 2004 12:36:20 -0400, Lewis Perin wrote:
>
>> "Alex Chaihorsky" > writes:
>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> The little pot (for concentrated tea that is called "zavarka" in Russian
>>> (from zavarivat' - to steep) is called "zavarochny chainik" (chaihik -
>>> teapot).

>> OK, this calls for a reference to the Russian Tea HOWTO:
>>
>> http://home.fazekas.hu/~nagydani/rth...-HOWTO-v2.html

> Dang it. I brought home Red Army watches, Matrioshki, and books. I should
> have flippin' bought a samovar!
>
> --
> Derek
>
> "Politics does not make strange bedfellows. Marriage does." -- Groucho
> Marx

Derek

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:59:08 GMT, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

> Believe it or not there is a site here in the US that sells real ones, from
> before revolution as well as new, electrical ones. I think it's "Sovietsky
> Collection" or something. The old ones I saw for $600 and new ones are much
> cheaper.
> So you can have your samovar and drink from it too !

Believe it or not, I have a couple of items from their catalog!

There's also a company in Germany that makes very nice new ones wired for
110v. Unfortunately, they're multiple hundreds of bucks. And I,
unfortunately, have other things on which to spend that money.

--
Derek

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Derek

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:59:08 GMT, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

> Believe it or not there is a site here in the US that sells real ones, from
> before revolution as well as new, electrical ones. I think it's "Sovietsky
> Collection" or something. The old ones I saw for $600 and new ones are much
> cheaper.
> So you can have your samovar and drink from it too !

Believe it or not, I have a couple of items from their catalog!

There's also a company in Germany that makes very nice new ones wired for
110v. Unfortunately, they're multiple hundreds of bucks. And I,
unfortunately, have other things on which to spend that money.

--
Derek

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Alex Chaihorsky

I am not surprised. Last year our work was presented to the US military.
Remember we are talking about an express MATHEMATICAL method of developing
SYNTHETIC vaccines that takes hours, not months to start testing the
candidates. This is so far ahead of everyone, its not even funny.
So did they ask us to show it to them? Or to take a look at the results and
independant tests? Nope. Just a letter from some juniour officer who has a
boring job of looking at outside reaserach. I have that letter framed and it
hangs righ here above my desk. Their response - "Its not possible".
They could have tested us for about $5,000. They waste billions. They had no
smallpox vaccine in September 2001 and they still feel OK. Why? Because
there were no gallows in Sept 2001 when the country learned that there were
no smallpox vaccine and the country had no defence aganst such an attack if
it would have happened. You guys just took it. These people were paid top
bucks, pensions, they were given reserach labs, travel money, ranks,
everything - and with smallpox they did not have to discover anything - the
smallpox vaccine is known for 50 years, they just "forgot". Sorry, this just
gets me livid....

AIDS needs a different approach. Its a tricky bastartd, but till... I have
no idea if our stuff would work - all the money for research goes to ivory
towers. Your money, BTW. And NO accountability. But PhD dissertations -
galore. My proposal was - not a one PhD awarded to anyone in the US untill
the AIDS vaccine is made. You will have it within two years.

Sasha.

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:07:40 GMT, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>
> [ snipped Sasha's "business plan" ]
>
> That's actually pretty cool.
>
> "We've" never found a way to cure a virus, but we can vaccinate. I think
> it's a really interesting field of study. Now if "we" could just find a
> functional HIV vaccine....
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> Derek
>
> "Meddle not in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle, and will p!$$ on
> your cyberdeck." - Jeff Wilder

Alex Chaihorsky

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:07:40 GMT, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>
> [ snipped Sasha's "business plan" ]
>
> That's actually pretty cool.
>
> "We've" never found a way to cure a virus, but we can vaccinate. I think
> it's a really interesting field of study. Now if "we" could just find a
> functional HIV vaccine....
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> Derek
>
> "Meddle not in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle, and will p!$$ on
> your cyberdeck." - Jeff Wilder

Alex Chaihorsky

I do not blame you. Anyway, Russian tea's most important part is good
company and fierce intellectual battle, during which girls choose their
studs for the night... I think the Russian revolution of 1917 will not
have happened if not for samovar tea.
Exactly the opposite of the gongfu where the conversation is subtle and the
feelings are mild and fine... Since I gave up on making a world a better
place gongfu fits me better nowadays...

Sasha.

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:59:08 GMT, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>
>> Believe it or not there is a site here in the US that sells real ones,
>> from
>> before revolution as well as new, electrical ones. I think it's
>> "Sovietsky
>> Collection" or something. The old ones I saw for $600 and new ones are
>> much
>> cheaper.
>> So you can have your samovar and drink from it too !

> Believe it or not, I have a couple of items from their catalog!
>
> There's also a company in Germany that makes very nice new ones wired for
> 110v. Unfortunately, they're multiple hundreds of bucks. And I,
> unfortunately, have other things on which to spend that money.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.

Alex Chaihorsky

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:59:08 GMT, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>
>> Believe it or not there is a site here in the US that sells real ones,
>> from
>> before revolution as well as new, electrical ones. I think it's
>> "Sovietsky
>> Collection" or something. The old ones I saw for $600 and new ones are
>> much
>> cheaper.
>> So you can have your samovar and drink from it too !

> Believe it or not, I have a couple of items from their catalog!
>
> There's also a company in Germany that makes very nice new ones wired for
> 110v. Unfortunately, they're multiple hundreds of bucks. And I,
> unfortunately, have other things on which to spend that money.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.

Rick Chappell

Alex, morphing into Sasha, recommended:
> http://home.fazekas.hu/~nagydani/rth...-HOWTO-v2.html

This is great stuff - written by a (Hungarian?) programmer from the
perspective of optimizing coding via caffeine. It gives all the
vocabulary, warnings on drinking the zavarka (unless you're in the
Russian mafia), and a learned exposition on the connection between the
periodic table and vodka standardization (all hail Meneleyev!).

R. Chepelyevsky

(But what's Russian for "Rick"? "Risha"?)
Rick Chappell

Alex, morphing into Sasha, recommended:
> http://home.fazekas.hu/~nagydani/rth...-HOWTO-v2.html

This is great stuff - written by a (Hungarian?) programmer from the
perspective of optimizing coding via caffeine. It gives all the
vocabulary, warnings on drinking the zavarka (unless you're in the
Russian mafia), and a learned exposition on the connection between the
periodic table and vodka standardization (all hail Meneleyev!).

R. Chepelyevsky

(But what's Russian for "Rick"? "Risha"?)
Alex Chaihorsky

He is good. He even knows about chifir. Although he is a bit confused by
thinking that zavarka (concentrated tea that is steeped in little teapot on
top of samovar) and chifir are the same thing. They are not - chifir is made
by BOILING for several of minutes about 4 -6 ounces of black tea in a glass
of water. The resulting liquid is tar-black and incredibly bitter. After the
first seep your heart start racing like you are about to have sex for the
first time in your life. Chifir has a reputation to be addictive. Chifir is
an Arctic prison answer to marihuana. Zavarka has nothing to do with chifir,
he is dead wrong.

Richard has no Russian equivalent, because it is not a Biblical name. And
Risha sounds a bit girly, because there is a diminitive from Irina - Irisha.
I guess Chasha will be the best (ALEK-SA-NDR - SAsha, RI-CHA-RD - Chasha.)
But there is a Russian word "chasha" - its a bowl. AND it also sounds a bit
girly. Its up to you now
Chepelyevsky, Chepelyevsky... Lithvania?

Sasha.

Newbie question Billi Preserving 3 06-09-2013 07:30 PM
Newbie Question Greg Horne Sourdough 11 04-01-2007 09:54 AM
Newbie question Marty Phee Winemaking 7 04-10-2005 04:42 PM
Newbie Question Doctor Evil Winemaking 4 10-09-2004 04:09 PM
Newbie Question Douglas Gaulin Winemaking 6 04-12-2003 08:48 PM