Dave

Default Newbie (very) question

Please forgive the ignorance, but I really do not know anything about Tea.
Does Jasmine tea (made with Jasmine blossoms and green tea) contain
caffeine?

Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea. I
also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from caffeine.
Therefore, the question.

Any help is appreciated. Very happy to have found this group, and look
forward to many happy cups together.

Dave

Alex Chaihorsky

Dave, you have answered your question yourself.
Jasmin tea is TEA, i.e. leaves of C. sinensis, so how could it not have
caffeine?
All tea that is made of C. sinensis leaves have caffeine. Unless it was
decaffeinated.
If you have sleep disorder stay clear of tea.
Try mate (made of Yerba) the alcaloid tyere is not caffeine but mateine, it
is said to actually help sleep.

Alex.

"Dave" > wrote in message
> Please forgive the ignorance, but I really do not know anything about Tea.
> Does Jasmine tea (made with Jasmine blossoms and green tea) contain
> caffeine?
>
> Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea. I
> also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from caffeine.
> Therefore, the question.
>
> Any help is appreciated. Very happy to have found this group, and look
> forward to many happy cups together.
>
> Dave

Alex Chaihorsky

"Dave" > wrote in message
> Please forgive the ignorance, but I really do not know anything about Tea.
> Does Jasmine tea (made with Jasmine blossoms and green tea) contain
> caffeine?
>
> Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea. I
> also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from caffeine.
> Therefore, the question.
>
> Any help is appreciated. Very happy to have found this group, and look
> forward to many happy cups together.
>
> Dave

Falky foo

keeping in mind, of course, that not everything calling itself 'tea' is of
the real tea plant. There are many 'teas' out there that have nothing to do
with the tea plant and are therefore naturally caffeine free (aka tisanes)

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
m...
> Dave, you have answered your question yourself.
> Jasmin tea is TEA, i.e. leaves of C. sinensis, so how could it not have
> caffeine?
> All tea that is made of C. sinensis leaves have caffeine. Unless it was
> decaffeinated.
> If you have sleep disorder stay clear of tea.
> Try mate (made of Yerba) the alcaloid tyere is not caffeine but mateine,

it
> is said to actually help sleep.
>
> Alex.
>

> "Dave" > wrote in message
> > Please forgive the ignorance, but I really do not know anything about

Tea.
> > Does Jasmine tea (made with Jasmine blossoms and green tea) contain
> > caffeine?
> >
> > Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea.

> > also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from caffeine.
> > Therefore, the question.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated. Very happy to have found this group, and look
> > forward to many happy cups together.
> >
> > Dave

Falky foo

keeping in mind, of course, that not everything calling itself 'tea' is of
the real tea plant. There are many 'teas' out there that have nothing to do
with the tea plant and are therefore naturally caffeine free (aka tisanes)

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
m...
> Dave, you have answered your question yourself.
> Jasmin tea is TEA, i.e. leaves of C. sinensis, so how could it not have
> caffeine?
> All tea that is made of C. sinensis leaves have caffeine. Unless it was
> decaffeinated.
> If you have sleep disorder stay clear of tea.
> Try mate (made of Yerba) the alcaloid tyere is not caffeine but mateine,

it
> is said to actually help sleep.
>
> Alex.
>

> "Dave" > wrote in message
> > Please forgive the ignorance, but I really do not know anything about

Tea.
> > Does Jasmine tea (made with Jasmine blossoms and green tea) contain
> > caffeine?
> >
> > Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea.

> > also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from caffeine.
> > Therefore, the question.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated. Very happy to have found this group, and look
> > forward to many happy cups together.
> >
> > Dave

Joel Reicher

"Dave" > writes:

> Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea. I
> also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from caffeine.
> Therefore, the question.

Decaffeinating the tea yourself may be adequate. Have a look at

http://pages.ripco.net/~c4ha2na9/tea/faq.html#5.6.6.

While there, have a look around the rest of the document. It's
probably the best way to kickstart your research if you haven't done
so already.

Cheers,

- Joel
Joel Reicher

"Dave" > writes:

> Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea. I
> also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from caffeine.
> Therefore, the question.

Decaffeinating the tea yourself may be adequate. Have a look at

http://pages.ripco.net/~c4ha2na9/tea/faq.html#5.6.6.

While there, have a look around the rest of the document. It's
probably the best way to kickstart your research if you haven't done
so already.

Cheers,

- Joel
Natarajan Krishnaswami

In article > , Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> Try mate (made of Yerba) the alcaloid tyere is not caffeine but mateine, it
> is said to actually help sleep.

Actually, I'd suggest avoiding yerba mate, too, because (from
experience) yerba mate can get you more wired than a piano.

N.
Natarajan Krishnaswami

In article > , Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> Try mate (made of Yerba) the alcaloid tyere is not caffeine but mateine, it
> is said to actually help sleep.

Actually, I'd suggest avoiding yerba mate, too, because (from
experience) yerba mate can get you more wired than a piano.

N.
Alex Chaihorsky

Interesting. My experience and many that of my friends are different. Over
time (about a month of a daily usage) mate appears to clam me down and
deepen my sleep. As someone who spends much of my time in deep thoughts
(mathematical modeling in genetics and immunology) I also noticed that its
is easier for me now to "deepen" my thoughts and keep myself in that state
for longer.
My good friend who does similar things for Oracle told me that he noticed
the same effect. However, these effects appear to come in a slow and mild
fashion.

Alex.

"Natarajan Krishnaswami" > wrote in message
> In article > , Alex
> Chaihorsky wrote:
>> Try mate (made of Yerba) the alcaloid tyere is not caffeine but mateine,
>> it
>> is said to actually help sleep.

> Actually, I'd suggest avoiding yerba mate, too, because (from
> experience) yerba mate can get you more wired than a piano.
>
> N.

Alex Chaihorsky

Interesting. My experience and many that of my friends are different. Over
time (about a month of a daily usage) mate appears to clam me down and
deepen my sleep. As someone who spends much of my time in deep thoughts
(mathematical modeling in genetics and immunology) I also noticed that its
is easier for me now to "deepen" my thoughts and keep myself in that state
for longer.
My good friend who does similar things for Oracle told me that he noticed
the same effect. However, these effects appear to come in a slow and mild
fashion.

Alex.

"Natarajan Krishnaswami" > wrote in message
> In article > , Alex
> Chaihorsky wrote:
>> Try mate (made of Yerba) the alcaloid tyere is not caffeine but mateine,
>> it
>> is said to actually help sleep.

> Actually, I'd suggest avoiding yerba mate, too, because (from
> experience) yerba mate can get you more wired than a piano.
>
> N.

fLameDogg

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in
om:

> Interesting. My experience and many that of my friends are different.
> Over time (about a month of a daily usage) mate appears to clam me
> down and deepen my sleep.

It is the same for me, but I have heard otherwise from others.
Also, some have written it makes them sick to the stomach. Like
so many things, I suppose it varies by individual. Perhaps some
people are sensitive to certain compounds or combinations in the
plant.

I would suggest anyone try anything new carefully, at first. As
someone with a couple of food allergies, I've learned this the hard
way.

--
fD
fLameDogg

"Dave" > wrote in
:

> Please forgive the ignorance, but I really do not know anything about
> Tea. Does Jasmine tea (made with Jasmine blossoms and green tea)
> contain caffeine?
>
> Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea.
> I also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from
> caffeine. Therefore, the question.

You might also like rooibos (not truly "tea", but it makes a nice tisane),
which supposedly contains no caffeine. I have enjoyed it with milk as a
pleasant before-bedtime drink. In fact, I'm pleased to have remembered it.

--
fD
Dave

Hey Alex, thanks for the reply.

Okay, well, I didn't know what plant the green tea came from. To me, there
are a lot of things called "tea," including herbals which I understand have
no caffeine. Like I said, I am ignorant but honest. Now I at least know
who to ask.

I am seeking to become familiar with the Japanese Tea Ceremony, both for my
own pleasure and for the ability to write about it with some accuracy. Can
you tell me what Macha (Matcha?) is? And how will I know if that is what I
am buying? I *think* I saw some at the Chinese grocery the other day, but
want to know for certain. I really would like to do this right.

Speaking of the Japanese Tea Ceremony, I have the small kit sold under that
name in some bookstores, as well as another called "About Tea" or something
like that. The second one contains only a book of meditative thoughts and
two ceramic cups. The first contains other paraphernailia for the purpose
of actually trying to replicate the ceremony with some feeling of seeing the
genuine thing. I am sure it is the abbreviated version, for Americans, but
it's a start. Any ideas on where to go next? I hope to someday fly to
Florida for the purpose of having tea with the guy who wrote the forward to
the copy of The Book Of Tea that came in the first kit. If not there, and
him, then somewhere else appropriately genuine. Like I said, I would really
like to experience something as close to The Real Thing as I can manage.

Caffeine in the tea. Sigh. Someone else suggested decaffeinating it
myself, and I may try that. Will definetly check out the link they posted.
In the meantime, I will only have a cup when I am trying to stay awake (like
right now.) So very gratifying. Plain and unsweetened, with a slight
bitter edge (which makes me think "Like life itself.). I am hooked.

Thanks again.

Dave

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
m...
> Dave, you have answered your question yourself.
> Jasmin tea is TEA, i.e. leaves of C. sinensis, so how could it not have
> caffeine?
> All tea that is made of C. sinensis leaves have caffeine. Unless it was
> decaffeinated.
> If you have sleep disorder stay clear of tea.
> Try mate (made of Yerba) the alcaloid tyere is not caffeine but mateine,

it
> is said to actually help sleep.
>
> Alex.
>

> "Dave" > wrote in message
> > Please forgive the ignorance, but I really do not know anything about

Tea.
> > Does Jasmine tea (made with Jasmine blossoms and green tea) contain
> > caffeine?
> >
> > Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea.

> > also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from caffeine.
> > Therefore, the question.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated. Very happy to have found this group, and look
> > forward to many happy cups together.
> >
> > Dave

Dave

"Joel Reicher" > wrote in message
> "Dave" > writes:
>
> > Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea.

> > also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from caffeine.
> > Therefore, the question.

> Decaffeinating the tea yourself may be adequate. Have a look at
>
> http://pages.ripco.net/~c4ha2na9/tea/faq.html#5.6.6.
>
> While there, have a look around the rest of the document. It's
> probably the best way to kickstart your research if you haven't done
> so already.
>
> Cheers,

THANK YOU! This is nice. Much appreciated.

Dave

> - Joel

Dave

"Joel Reicher" > wrote in message
> "Dave" > writes:
>
> > Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea.

> > also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from caffeine.
> > Therefore, the question.

> Decaffeinating the tea yourself may be adequate. Have a look at
>
> http://pages.ripco.net/~c4ha2na9/tea/faq.html#5.6.6.
>
> While there, have a look around the rest of the document. It's
> probably the best way to kickstart your research if you haven't done
> so already.
>
> Cheers,

THANK YOU! This is nice. Much appreciated.

Dave

> - Joel

Dave

"fLameDogg" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Dave" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Please forgive the ignorance, but I really do not know anything about
> > Tea. Does Jasmine tea (made with Jasmine blossoms and green tea)
> > contain caffeine?
> >
> > Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea.
> > I also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from
> > caffeine. Therefore, the question.

> You might also like rooibos (not truly "tea", but it makes a nice tisane),
> which supposedly contains no caffeine. I have enjoyed it with milk as a
> pleasant before-bedtime drink. In fact, I'm pleased to have remembered

it.

> --
> fD

THANK YOU! I will check this out. Should I find it somewhere next to the
tea, in my Chinese grocery? Or elsewhere?

Dave

Dave

"fLameDogg" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Dave" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Please forgive the ignorance, but I really do not know anything about
> > Tea. Does Jasmine tea (made with Jasmine blossoms and green tea)
> > contain caffeine?
> >
> > Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea.
> > I also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from
> > caffeine. Therefore, the question.

> You might also like rooibos (not truly "tea", but it makes a nice tisane),
> which supposedly contains no caffeine. I have enjoyed it with milk as a
> pleasant before-bedtime drink. In fact, I'm pleased to have remembered

it.

> --
> fD

THANK YOU! I will check this out. Should I find it somewhere next to the
tea, in my Chinese grocery? Or elsewhere?

Dave

Alex Chaihorsky

Dave,

I am an opponent of the Japanese tea ceremony and prefer Chinese one.
It will take me hours to explain why. But believe me - writing about
Japanese Tea Ceremony
without spending years studying and practicing it is like writing a manual
on an extremely old and complex religious practice and even ell-known
masters usually do not feel worthy of such writings.
Chinese one has no (or almost no) ritualistic side whatsoever.
Anyway, if I were you I would read, read, read. Tell us where you live and
may be we will be able to direct you to a good teahouse in your area. There
you can try what you learn and get some fun out of it too.
Yes, it is good that you understand how ignorant you are and its good that
you are honest about it. The problem is that you have no idea HOW ignorant
you are. Nothing wrong about it, there is so much to know about tea that
anyone (including myself, naturally) who does not feel as an ignoramus, just
have no idea of the scope of the subject.

The Web is a wonderful tool and you can learn a lot by using Google. That is
why I leave your question about Matcha without an answer. It is one thing to
answer a quick question for someone who just needs a quick answer, as we
already did. If you are seriously interested in tea you have to start
digging yourself.

Alex.

"Dave" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> caffeine?
>> All tea that is made of C. sinensis leaves have caffeine. Unless it was
>> decaffeinated.
>> If you have sleep disorder stay clear of tea.
>> Try mate (made of Yerba) the alcaloid tyere is not caffeine but mateine,

> it
>> is said to actually help sleep.
>>
>> Alex.
>>

>> "Dave" > wrote in message
>> > Please forgive the ignorance, but I really do not know anything about

> Tea.
>> > Does Jasmine tea (made with Jasmine blossoms and green tea) contain
>> > caffeine?
>> >
>> > Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea.

>> > also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from caffeine.
>> > Therefore, the question.
>> >
>> > Any help is appreciated. Very happy to have found this group, and look

Alex Chaihorsky

"Dave" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> caffeine?
>> All tea that is made of C. sinensis leaves have caffeine. Unless it was
>> decaffeinated.
>> If you have sleep disorder stay clear of tea.
>> Try mate (made of Yerba) the alcaloid tyere is not caffeine but mateine,

> it
>> is said to actually help sleep.
>>
>> Alex.
>>

>> "Dave" > wrote in message
>> > Please forgive the ignorance, but I really do not know anything about

> Tea.
>> > Does Jasmine tea (made with Jasmine blossoms and green tea) contain
>> > caffeine?
>> >
>> > Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea.

>> > also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from caffeine.
>> > Therefore, the question.
>> >
>> > Any help is appreciated. Very happy to have found this group, and look

NoWayJosé!

> Okay, well, I didn't know what plant the green tea came from. To me, there
> are a lot of things called "tea," including herbals which I understand have
> no caffeine. Like I said, I am ignorant but honest. Now I at least know
> who to ask.

you can drink tea in the morning and the afternoon... it won't disturb
your sleep...

> I am seeking to become familiar with the Japanese Tea Ceremony, both for my
> own pleasure and for the ability to write about it with some accuracy. Can
> you tell me what Macha (Matcha?) is? And how will I know if that is what I
> am buying? I *think* I saw some at the Chinese grocery the other day, but
> want to know for certain. I really would like to do this right.
>
> Speaking of the Japanese Tea Ceremony, I have the small kit sold under that
> name in some bookstores, as well as another called "About Tea" or something
> like that. The second one contains only a book of meditative thoughts and
> two ceramic cups. The first contains other paraphernailia for the purpose
> of actually trying to replicate the ceremony with some feeling of seeing the
> genuine thing. I am sure it is the abbreviated version, for Americans, but
> it's a start. Any ideas on where to go next? I hope to someday fly to
> Florida for the purpose of having tea with the guy who wrote the forward to
> the copy of The Book Of Tea that came in the first kit. If not there, and
> him, then somewhere else appropriately genuine. Like I said, I would really
> like to experience something as close to The Real Thing as I can manage.

oh boy... don't start with matcha... it's too difficult for you...
find a japanese store where you live (wherever that may be) and ask your
questions there... if they are ok they will give you good advice...
and most of all they will show you how it's done + + + !!
start with some good sencha... master it (or so) and then check out
matcha...

if I were you, I would ask this NG for names and places that one can
rely on in your area... trust me, if you start in tea this is the best
advice you can get !
: )
NoWayJosé!

> Okay, well, I didn't know what plant the green tea came from. To me, there
> are a lot of things called "tea," including herbals which I understand have
> no caffeine. Like I said, I am ignorant but honest. Now I at least know
> who to ask.

you can drink tea in the morning and the afternoon... it won't disturb
your sleep...

> I am seeking to become familiar with the Japanese Tea Ceremony, both for my
> own pleasure and for the ability to write about it with some accuracy. Can
> you tell me what Macha (Matcha?) is? And how will I know if that is what I
> am buying? I *think* I saw some at the Chinese grocery the other day, but
> want to know for certain. I really would like to do this right.
>
> Speaking of the Japanese Tea Ceremony, I have the small kit sold under that
> name in some bookstores, as well as another called "About Tea" or something
> like that. The second one contains only a book of meditative thoughts and
> two ceramic cups. The first contains other paraphernailia for the purpose
> of actually trying to replicate the ceremony with some feeling of seeing the
> genuine thing. I am sure it is the abbreviated version, for Americans, but
> it's a start. Any ideas on where to go next? I hope to someday fly to
> Florida for the purpose of having tea with the guy who wrote the forward to
> the copy of The Book Of Tea that came in the first kit. If not there, and
> him, then somewhere else appropriately genuine. Like I said, I would really
> like to experience something as close to The Real Thing as I can manage.

oh boy... don't start with matcha... it's too difficult for you...
find a japanese store where you live (wherever that may be) and ask your
questions there... if they are ok they will give you good advice...
and most of all they will show you how it's done + + + !!
start with some good sencha... master it (or so) and then check out
matcha...

if I were you, I would ask this NG for names and places that one can
rely on in your area... trust me, if you start in tea this is the best
advice you can get !
: )
Dave

Matcha: Gotcha. Thanks. And thank you for putting my ignorance in
perspective. I really need to write about the Japanese ceremony, as it is
the ritualistic side that matters to the story. I am not trying to write a
book that covers the complete breadth and depth of the ceremony (if any one
book could do that) but just give an idea as to the meaning. It's for a
kids book, and the main focus is on how everything has to be a certain way,
and any faux pas is absolutely taboo. It's about how ettiquette (sp?) is
EVERYTHING. Main idea in the story: a kid who enjoys misbehaving is being
taught to behave, and the Japanese Tea Ceremony is his final exam. It's a
kid's book, so only the fundamentals of the philosophy behind it all are to
be examined.

Thanks again for your input. I probably still have no idea just how
ignorant I am, but I am working on it.

PS: Does the tea made and drunk in the JTC have calming effects on the
drinker? Seems I read this somewhere, but can't remember where. That would
help my story, so if it doesn't, what effects does it have? Is it highly
caffeinated? (I hope not.)

Dave

PPS: I am in Houston, and would LOVE to find a decent teahouse here. Also,
what books would you recommend I read, besides The Book Of Tea? TIA

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]

> > myself, and I may try that. Will definetly check out the link they
> > posted.
> > In the meantime, I will only have a cup when I am trying to stay awake
> > (like
> > right now.) So very gratifying. Plain and unsweetened, with a slight
> > bitter edge (which makes me think "Like life itself.). I am hooked.
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
> > m...
> >> Dave, you have answered your question yourself.
> >> Jasmin tea is TEA, i.e. leaves of C. sinensis, so how could it not have
> >> caffeine?
> >> All tea that is made of C. sinensis leaves have caffeine. Unless it was
> >> decaffeinated.
> >> If you have sleep disorder stay clear of tea.
> >> Try mate (made of Yerba) the alcaloid tyere is not caffeine but

Dave

> [...]

> > myself, and I may try that. Will definetly check out the link they
> > posted.
> > In the meantime, I will only have a cup when I am trying to stay awake
> > (like
> > right now.) So very gratifying. Plain and unsweetened, with a slight
> > bitter edge (which makes me think "Like life itself.). I am hooked.
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
> > m...
> >> Dave, you have answered your question yourself.
> >> Jasmin tea is TEA, i.e. leaves of C. sinensis, so how could it not have
> >> caffeine?
> >> All tea that is made of C. sinensis leaves have caffeine. Unless it was
> >> decaffeinated.
> >> If you have sleep disorder stay clear of tea.
> >> Try mate (made of Yerba) the alcaloid tyere is not caffeine but

Alex Chaihorsky

A Japanese person that needs tea or anything else but self-discipline to
control his/her temper or mood is either not Japanese or need a doctor ASAP.

Alex.

"Dave" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> > Florida for the purpose of having tea with the guy who wrote the
>> > forward
>> > the copy of The Book Of Tea that came in the first kit. If not there,

> and
>> > him, then somewhere else appropriately genuine. Like I said, I would
>> > really
>> > like to experience something as close to The Real Thing as I can
>> > manage.
>> >
>> > Caffeine in the tea. Sigh. Someone else suggested decaffeinating it
>> > myself, and I may try that. Will definetly check out the link they
>> > posted.
>> > In the meantime, I will only have a cup when I am trying to stay awake
>> > (like
>> > right now.) So very gratifying. Plain and unsweetened, with a slight
>> > bitter edge (which makes me think "Like life itself.). I am hooked.

Alex Chaihorsky

"Dave" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> > Florida for the purpose of having tea with the guy who wrote the
>> > forward
>> > the copy of The Book Of Tea that came in the first kit. If not there,

> and
>> > him, then somewhere else appropriately genuine. Like I said, I would
>> > really
>> > like to experience something as close to The Real Thing as I can
>> > manage.
>> >
>> > Caffeine in the tea. Sigh. Someone else suggested decaffeinating it
>> > myself, and I may try that. Will definetly check out the link they
>> > posted.
>> > In the meantime, I will only have a cup when I am trying to stay awake
>> > (like
>> > right now.) So very gratifying. Plain and unsweetened, with a slight
>> > bitter edge (which makes me think "Like life itself.). I am hooked.

Alex Chaihorsky

Dave,

Imagine someone who is not at all familiar with Christianity is writing a
book about a boy who misbehaved and went to church and Christian service on
the spot set him straight. Certainly for the purposes of your book you will
have to grossly simplify the subject and probably do that without
understanding that certain tiny points in Christianity were discussed for
centuries and people died for them. Imagine the depth of insults for serious
Christians.
It is entirely up to you, but I would avoid touching subjects of such depth
and ceremonial value for such purposes. Your story suppose to teach children
that everything should be done a certain way, and you yourself take a
shortcut through may be the most ceremonial thing invented by humans short
of Catholic Mess where the whole meaning is that there is no shortcut

I am sorry if I sound as a bore and its entirely your business how and what
you write (nothing, and certainly no tea ceremony should stay in the way of
the First Amendment) but you may want to at least to think of alternatives.
Let Japanese be sloppy about their culture and us - about Euro-American. But
the opposite create resentment.

Sorry if I was unpolite.

Alex Chaihorsky
Reno, Nevada.

"Dave" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> > Florida for the purpose of having tea with the guy who wrote the
>> > forward
>> > the copy of The Book Of Tea that came in the first kit. If not there,

> and
>> > him, then somewhere else appropriately genuine. Like I said, I would
>> > really
>> > like to experience something as close to The Real Thing as I can
>> > manage.
>> >
>> > Caffeine in the tea. Sigh. Someone else suggested decaffeinating it
>> > myself, and I may try that. Will definetly check out the link they
>> > posted.
>> > In the meantime, I will only have a cup when I am trying to stay awake
>> > (like
>> > right now.) So very gratifying. Plain and unsweetened, with a slight
>> > bitter edge (which makes me think "Like life itself.). I am hooked.

Alex Chaihorsky

"Dave" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> > Florida for the purpose of having tea with the guy who wrote the
>> > forward
>> > the copy of The Book Of Tea that came in the first kit. If not there,

> and
>> > him, then somewhere else appropriately genuine. Like I said, I would
>> > really
>> > like to experience something as close to The Real Thing as I can
>> > manage.
>> >
>> > Caffeine in the tea. Sigh. Someone else suggested decaffeinating it
>> > myself, and I may try that. Will definetly check out the link they
>> > posted.
>> > In the meantime, I will only have a cup when I am trying to stay awake
>> > (like
>> > right now.) So very gratifying. Plain and unsweetened, with a slight
>> > bitter edge (which makes me think "Like life itself.). I am hooked.

Dave

Oh, he is definetly NOT Japanese. He is an arrogant Texan (the kind I grew
up around.)

Dave

> [...]

> >> that
> >> you are honest about it. The problem is that you have no idea HOW
> >> ignorant
> >> you are. Nothing wrong about it, there is so much to know about tea

that
> >> anyone (including myself, naturally) who does not feel as an ignoramus,

> > just
> >> have no idea of the scope of the subject.
> >>
> >> The Web is a wonderful tool and you can learn a lot by using Google.

That
> > is
> >> why I leave your question about Matcha without an answer. It is one

thing
> >> answer a quick question for someone who just needs a quick answer, as

we
> >> already did. If you are seriously interested in tea you have to start

Alex Chaihorsky

Dave,

Its green tea, so it has plenty of caffeine. The core philosophy (at least
on a certain level that I understand, but they are more levels, I know that)
is that tea actually play little if any role. It is the ritual that is the
core value. In Chinese tea ceremony (gong fu, written the same way as Kong
fu, and means "hard work", "work of many steps") the center is tea and there
is no ceremony per se - just set of omittable steps to make tea open up its
qualities.
Our conversation remind me of a very famous Zen fable of how a student asked
a Zen teacher if animals are like people and the teacher answered "Mu-uu".
The student heard the answer and instantaneously achieved Samadhi
(enlightenment).
But I am not a Zen teacher and the student in the story was not a Texan ,
so I think we are safe for now

Alex.

"Dave" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> > It's

>> > kid's book, so only the fundamentals of the philosophy behind it all
>> > are
>> > be examined.
>> >
>> > Thanks again for your input. I probably still have no idea just how
>> > ignorant I am, but I am working on it.
>> >
>> > PS: Does the tea made and drunk in the JTC have calming effects on the
>> > drinker? Seems I read this somewhere, but can't remember where. That
>> > would
>> > help my story, so if it doesn't, what effects does it have? Is it

> highly
>> > caffeinated? (I hope not.)
>> >
>> > Dave
>> >

>> > PPS: I am in Houston, and would LOVE to find a decent teahouse here.
>> > Also,
>> > what books would you recommend I read, besides The Book Of Tea? TIA

Alex Chaihorsky

"Dave" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> > It's

>> > kid's book, so only the fundamentals of the philosophy behind it all
>> > are
>> > be examined.
>> >
>> > Thanks again for your input. I probably still have no idea just how
>> > ignorant I am, but I am working on it.
>> >
>> > PS: Does the tea made and drunk in the JTC have calming effects on the
>> > drinker? Seems I read this somewhere, but can't remember where. That
>> > would
>> > help my story, so if it doesn't, what effects does it have? Is it

> highly
>> > caffeinated? (I hope not.)
>> >
>> > Dave
>> >

>> > PPS: I am in Houston, and would LOVE to find a decent teahouse here.
>> > Also,
>> > what books would you recommend I read, besides The Book Of Tea? TIA

NoWayJosé!

> PPS: I am in Houston, and would LOVE to find a decent teahouse here.

good luck my friend..

> Also, what books would you recommend I read, besides The Book Of

Tea? TIA

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...8.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

sorry... don't know the title in english...
I'm french...
you'll get plenty of japanese ceremony in this one !
and it would be, for you, a step further into comprehension of the
japanese way of tea...

hang in there !
we were all beginners once...

(as said before read + + + !! but be "critique"... a lot of crap has
been written on tea so far...)
NoWayJosé!

> PPS: I am in Houston, and would LOVE to find a decent teahouse here.

good luck my friend..

> Also, what books would you recommend I read, besides The Book Of

Tea? TIA

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...8.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

sorry... don't know the title in english...
I'm french...
you'll get plenty of japanese ceremony in this one !
and it would be, for you, a step further into comprehension of the
japanese way of tea...

hang in there !
we were all beginners once...

(as said before read + + + !! but be "critique"... a lot of crap has
been written on tea so far...)
Space Cowboy

For a bench mark tea has 50% levels of caffeine compared to coffee.
The convention is to throw the first cup of tea which contains 80% of
the caffeine which is another bench mark. So the cup is low in
caffeine to start and almost gone by the second cup. Another
alternative is brew the cup normally and dilute it 10 to 1. A weak
cup of tea is what I suggest for beginners regardless of the caffeine.
An everyday cuppa for the beginner is often just too much tea. So
start weak and develop your taste. When we mention tea here if comes
from a certain plant. In general use it means any plant. My local
tea shoppe has customers weaning themselves from coffee so it stocks
decaffeinated teas and tisanes (herbals). My blend for coffee guests
is chocolate tea with sweet(clotted) cream. For coffee drinkers a
decaffeinated coffee would be more satisfying than tea.

Jim

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message om>...
> Dave, you have answered your question yourself.
> Jasmin tea is TEA, i.e. leaves of C. sinensis, so how could it not have
> caffeine?
> All tea that is made of C. sinensis leaves have caffeine. Unless it was
> decaffeinated.
> If you have sleep disorder stay clear of tea.
> Try mate (made of Yerba) the alcaloid tyere is not caffeine but mateine, it
> is said to actually help sleep.
>
> Alex.
>

> "Dave" > wrote in message
> > Please forgive the ignorance, but I really do not know anything about Tea.
> > Does Jasmine tea (made with Jasmine blossoms and green tea) contain
> > caffeine?
> >
> > Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea. I
> > also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from caffeine.
> > Therefore, the question.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated. Very happy to have found this group, and look
> > forward to many happy cups together.
> >
> > Dave

Space Cowboy

For a bench mark tea has 50% levels of caffeine compared to coffee.
The convention is to throw the first cup of tea which contains 80% of
the caffeine which is another bench mark. So the cup is low in
caffeine to start and almost gone by the second cup. Another
alternative is brew the cup normally and dilute it 10 to 1. A weak
cup of tea is what I suggest for beginners regardless of the caffeine.
An everyday cuppa for the beginner is often just too much tea. So
start weak and develop your taste. When we mention tea here if comes
from a certain plant. In general use it means any plant. My local
tea shoppe has customers weaning themselves from coffee so it stocks
decaffeinated teas and tisanes (herbals). My blend for coffee guests
is chocolate tea with sweet(clotted) cream. For coffee drinkers a
decaffeinated coffee would be more satisfying than tea.

Jim

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message om>...
> Dave, you have answered your question yourself.
> Jasmin tea is TEA, i.e. leaves of C. sinensis, so how could it not have
> caffeine?
> All tea that is made of C. sinensis leaves have caffeine. Unless it was
> decaffeinated.
> If you have sleep disorder stay clear of tea.
> Try mate (made of Yerba) the alcaloid tyere is not caffeine but mateine, it
> is said to actually help sleep.
>
> Alex.
>

> "Dave" > wrote in message
> > Please forgive the ignorance, but I really do not know anything about Tea.
> > Does Jasmine tea (made with Jasmine blossoms and green tea) contain
> > caffeine?
> >
> > Am currently doing research, and getting sucked into the world of Tea. I
> > also have a sleep disorder, and am supposed to stay away from caffeine.
> > Therefore, the question.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated. Very happy to have found this group, and look
> > forward to many happy cups together.
> >
> > Dave

Joel Reicher

"Dave" > writes:

> "fLameDogg" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > You might also like rooibos (not truly "tea", but it makes a nice tisane),
> > which supposedly contains no caffeine. I have enjoyed it with milk as a
> > pleasant before-bedtime drink. In fact, I'm pleased to have remembered

> it.
>
> THANK YOU! I will check this out. Should I find it somewhere next to the
> tea, in my Chinese grocery? Or elsewhere?

It's a South African plant, so a Chinese grocery has no particular
reason to stock it. Still, some do, on account of the fact that it's
expected.

If you know any shops that specialise in `western' tea, you could try
them. If they have rosehip, chamomile, liquorice, indian chai,
etc. they'll probably have rooibos.

Cheers,

- Joel
fLameDogg

"Dave" > wrote in
:

<rooibos>

> THANK YOU! I will check this out. Should I find it somewhere next to
> the tea, in my Chinese grocery? Or elsewhere?

I ordered my first batch over the Internet, along with my first
sample of yerba mate (which, to make a long story short, led to my
"discovery" of rec.food.drink.tea, and thus to my becoming a fairly
serious tea-fiend--I'm almost ready for my one-year, uh, stripe, or
spoon, or whatever it is tea-drinkers get). I got it loose, and
used a tea ball. I later discovered it at a local organic co-op
type grocery store. They also sell a brand in "tea" bags, but I
seem to prefer the loose rooibos.

Here's a little info. This is not a pitch for this particular site;
I've never ordered from them:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/allteas/rooibos.html

There's "green" rooibos and "red". I guess it's the red I've had.
Here's an explanation (again, not a pitch, I found this site via
Google just now):

http://www.botanical.com/products/le...bos-green.html

It seems you can steep rooibos longer than true tea; it doesn't get
bitter as quickly (if at all--I've not really experimented to find
out).

--
fD
fLameDogg

"Dave" > wrote in
:

<rooibos>

> THANK YOU! I will check this out. Should I find it somewhere next to
> the tea, in my Chinese grocery? Or elsewhere?

I ordered my first batch over the Internet, along with my first
sample of yerba mate (which, to make a long story short, led to my
"discovery" of rec.food.drink.tea, and thus to my becoming a fairly
serious tea-fiend--I'm almost ready for my one-year, uh, stripe, or
spoon, or whatever it is tea-drinkers get). I got it loose, and
used a tea ball. I later discovered it at a local organic co-op
type grocery store. They also sell a brand in "tea" bags, but I
seem to prefer the loose rooibos.

Here's a little info. This is not a pitch for this particular site;
I've never ordered from them:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/allteas/rooibos.html

There's "green" rooibos and "red". I guess it's the red I've had.
Here's an explanation (again, not a pitch, I found this site via
Google just now):

http://www.botanical.com/products/le...bos-green.html

It seems you can steep rooibos longer than true tea; it doesn't get
bitter as quickly (if at all--I've not really experimented to find
out).

--
fD
fLameDogg

"Dave" > wrote in
:

<rooibos>

> THANK YOU! I will check this out. Should I find it somewhere next to
> the tea, in my Chinese grocery? Or elsewhere?

I ordered my first batch over the Internet, along with my first
sample of yerba mate (which, to make a long story short, led to my
"discovery" of rec.food.drink.tea, and thus to my becoming a fairly
serious tea-fiend--I'm almost ready for my one-year, uh, stripe, or
spoon, or whatever it is tea-drinkers get). I got it loose, and
used a tea ball. I later discovered it at a local organic co-op
type grocery store. They also sell a brand in "tea" bags, but I
seem to prefer the loose rooibos.

Here's a little info. This is not a pitch for this particular site;
I've never ordered from them:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/allteas/rooibos.html

There's "green" rooibos and "red". I guess it's the red I've had.
Here's an explanation (again, not a pitch, I found this site via
Google just now):

http://www.botanical.com/products/le...bos-green.html

It seems you can steep rooibos longer than true tea; it doesn't get
bitter as quickly (if at all--I've not really experimented to find
out).

--
fD
fLameDogg

"Dave" > wrote in
:

<rooibos>

Newbie question Billi Preserving 3 06-09-2013 07:30 PM
Newbie Question Greg Horne Sourdough 11 04-01-2007 08:54 AM
Newbie question Marty Phee Winemaking 7 04-10-2005 04:42 PM
Newbie Question Doctor Evil Winemaking 4 10-09-2004 04:09 PM
Newbie Question Douglas Gaulin Winemaking 6 04-12-2003 07:48 PM