Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Newbie question

I think know the answer already, but maybe I'll get lucky and be wrong :-)

I made sweet cherry jam today, using the recipe in the Pomona pectin canning book. It calls for sweet cherries (I used frozen organic bings from Costco), cherry juice, 1/3 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Unfortunately it wasn't until I heard the plinks that I realized I forgot to add the lemon juice!

Do I toss what can't be used ASAP or will the ingredients as used provide enough acid to be safe?

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

QF
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Billi wrote:
> I think know the answer already, but maybe I'll get lucky and be wrong :-)
>
> I made sweet cherry jam today, using the recipe in the Pomona pectin canning book. It calls for sweet cherries (I used frozen organic bings from Costco), cherry juice, 1/3 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Unfortunately it wasn't until I heard the plinks that I realized I forgot to add the lemon juice!
>
> Do I toss what can't be used ASAP or will the ingredients as used provide enough acid to be safe?
>
> Thanks in advance for your expertise!

i'd keep it in the fridge and use it up as soon as
possible.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/25/2013 5:34 PM, Billi wrote:
> I think know the answer already, but maybe I'll get lucky and be wrong :-)
>
> I made sweet cherry jam today, using the recipe in the Pomona pectin canning book. It calls for sweet cherries (I used frozen organic bings from Costco), cherry juice, 1/3 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Unfortunately it wasn't until I heard the plinks that I realized I forgot to add the lemon juice!
>
> Do I toss what can't be used ASAP or will the ingredients as used provide enough acid to be safe?
>
> Thanks in advance for your expertise!
>
> QF

Cherries are well below the 7 pH of neutral, even though I don't do
cherries I think the acidity problem doesn't exist. Go here to see the
acidity of cherries:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5091126AA3NayD

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Billi > wrote:

> I think know the answer already, but maybe I'll get lucky and be wrong :-)
>
> I made sweet cherry jam today, using the recipe in the Pomona pectin canning
> book. It calls for sweet cherries (I used frozen organic bings from Costco),
> cherry juice, 1/3 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Unfortunately it
> wasn't until I heard the plinks that I realized I forgot to add the lemon
> juice!
>
> Do I toss what can't be used ASAP or will the ingredients as used provide
> enough acid to be safe?
>
> Thanks in advance for your expertise!
>
> QF

You're fine.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

Newbie question LurfysMa Tea 36 26-05-2007 10:10 PM
Newbie Question Greg Horne Sourdough 11 04-01-2007 08:54 AM
Newbie question Marty Phee Winemaking 7 04-10-2005 04:42 PM
Newbie Question Doctor Evil Winemaking 4 10-09-2004 04:09 PM
Newbie Question Douglas Gaulin Winemaking 6 04-12-2003 07:48 PM