Alex Chaihorsky

No I am not kidding.
I studied Japan. I have many friends who lived there for years, both legally
and undercover. An older friend of mine was wartime US military intelligence
station officer in Japan. I worked with Japanese in Asia, Europe and
America. My grandfather was a chief medical officer in the field Soviet
hospital in Manchuria during infamous Soviet invasion into Manchuria, and
later in Japan (1945-46). And as of today I am deep to my ears in developing
vaccines for Koi fish that are Japanese national treasure and are dying by
millions because of the new virus. I may be wrong in my assessments, you may
have stronger arguments to the opposite, but no, I am not kidding anyone.

Sasha.

"crymad" > wrote in message

> Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>
>> One correction on the substance, though - I never wished that the Bushido
>> times comes to Japan again - I just said that it is INEVITABLE. Watching
>> Japanese PR paying yearly visits to Yasukuni Shrine should leave few
>> doubts
>> in anyone's mind.

> You've got to be kidding. Have you ever even been to Japan?
>
> --crymad

Alex Chaihorsky

"crymad" > wrote in message

> Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>
>> One correction on the substance, though - I never wished that the Bushido
>> times comes to Japan again - I just said that it is INEVITABLE. Watching
>> Japanese PR paying yearly visits to Yasukuni Shrine should leave few
>> doubts
>> in anyone's mind.

> You've got to be kidding. Have you ever even been to Japan?
>
> --crymad

Alex Chaihorsky

Certainly. And it was spelled correctly in my original post.
Correcting spelling errors is a very serious matter, but coming back to the
substance - do you also support a view that Yasukuni has nothing to do with
the Bushido and the revision of the history of the WW2 and Sino-Japanese
war? Do you also think that the Japan's PM visits to it means nothing and
China and Korea freak out just because they have nothing better to do?
And finally - do you support Kuri's view that Japanese "forgot or never
knew" of the "crazy colonial" times?

Sasha.

"crymad" > wrote in message

> Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>>
>> This is much better. Another couple of posts and it will be possible to
>> argue with you in a civilized way.
>>
>> 1. It does not matter when Yasukune Shrine was built. The 4-wing swastika
>> also came to existance way before Hitler, but it BECAME a symbol of
>> Nazism.
>> Kremlin was built as a citadel of Russian Tzars and later BECAME a simbol
>> of
>> Russian Communism and imperialism. The Yasukune Temple BECAME a symbol of
>> revival of Bushido as well as a target of extensive compaints and
>> diplomatical problems with the governments of China and Korea. If you
>> were
>> right and Yasukune was not that - why all the fuss, demonstrations of
>> protest outside it and support inside it during yearly PM visits there?
>> Why
>> all that fuss whether he visited it as a PM or as a private person? Why
>> Chinese governmet warns Japanese that these visits harm Sino-Japanese
>> relationships? One just have to look up the word "Yasukune" (I very much
>> reccommend anyone who is interested in this subject do that - you will
>> see
>> things that are rarely made public in Western media) and there will be no
>> doubt on the subject.

> Well. part of the reason you'll find very little on the subject of
> "Yasukune" is that it's spelled wrong. "Yasukuni" is correct.
>
> --crymad

crymad

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

> Certainly. And it was spelled correctly in my original post.
> Correcting spelling errors is a very serious matter, but coming back to the
> substance - do you also support a view that Yasukuni has nothing to do with
> the Bushido and the revision of the history of the WW2 and Sino-Japanese
> war? Do you also think that the Japan's PM visits to it means nothing and
> China and Korea freak out just because they have nothing better to do?

These are indeed touchy questions, but they really have no relevance
here in this group.

> And finally - do you support Kuri's view that Japanese "forgot or never
> knew" of the "crazy colonial" times?

I disagree with this somewhat. I believe most thinking, adult Japanese
realize the people of Japan were deceived and lied to by military
authorities, especially during the Pacific War.

--crymad

> "crymad" > wrote in message
> >

> > Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> >>
> >> This is much better. Another couple of posts and it will be possible to
> >> argue with you in a civilized way.
> >>
> >> 1. It does not matter when Yasukune Shrine was built. The 4-wing swastika
> >> also came to existance way before Hitler, but it BECAME a symbol of
> >> Nazism.
> >> Kremlin was built as a citadel of Russian Tzars and later BECAME a simbol
> >> of
> >> Russian Communism and imperialism. The Yasukune Temple BECAME a symbol of
> >> revival of Bushido as well as a target of extensive compaints and
> >> diplomatical problems with the governments of China and Korea. If you
> >> were
> >> right and Yasukune was not that - why all the fuss, demonstrations of
> >> protest outside it and support inside it during yearly PM visits there?
> >> Why
> >> all that fuss whether he visited it as a PM or as a private person? Why
> >> Chinese governmet warns Japanese that these visits harm Sino-Japanese
> >> relationships? One just have to look up the word "Yasukune" (I very much
> >> reccommend anyone who is interested in this subject do that - you will
> >> see
> >> things that are rarely made public in Western media) and there will be no
> >> doubt on the subject.

> > Well. part of the reason you'll find very little on the subject of
> > "Yasukune" is that it's spelled wrong. "Yasukuni" is correct.
> >
> > --crymad

Alex Chaihorsky

1. No it is not off-topic. And even if it is, that did not prevent you by
commenting before. You corrected my spelling, questioned the depth of my
knowledge, someone else questioned my integrity. Japanese Tea Ceremony is
very deeply connected to the issues of Japanese national character,
self-conscience, traditions and traditional values. I made a statement that
I believe that the old Japanese traditional systems of values of which
Bushido is as central as imperial rule are coming back You asked me (without
any argumenting) if I am kidding. I answered that I do not and told you why.
Is it possible that you just ran out of the arguments and are trying to
wiggle out of the topic because of that? I hope not. I hope for once to
finally hear the arguments why you think I am wrong.

2. "Somewhat disagree" meaning what? Have Japanese "forgot or never knew"
about the colonial past? Because that is what Kuri said. I quote from his
post: "Japanese have completely forgotten or never known of the crazy
colonialist times." Because if that is the case, we are all in big trouble.
In my opinion I have not heard more outrageous statements about Japan.

3. Please, elaborate on that "lie" thing. Military lied to the public about
what? Our military also was not that truthful recently, as everyone knows.
So what? Are we about to overhaul our systems of values because of that?
The real question, the question the answer to which will determine the
outcome of this whole riddle lies in a completely different dimension.
It is the question of the validity of the history of Pacific War. If the
argument that Japan HAD to attack the US because the US allegedly suffocated
Japan by economic and energy blockade is not valid than Japan is an
aggressor and all that lead to aggression in its political power structure
was uprooted justifiably and to the benefit of Japanese themselves.
If not, if Japan HAD to attack to break out of suffocation - then the
revisionists have a valid argument for restoration of such values and
practices.

Another side of this story is conveniently forgot by all sides. It is the
role of Soviet Russia in Perl Harbor attack.Just for fun - have anyone heard
anything about it? I will post later the US Senate hearings documents that
openly state that USSR did everything possible to make sure that Japanese
attack the US in fall-winter of 1941, but I am just curious how well is it
known on this side of the puddle.

Sasha.

"crymad" > wrote in message

> Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>>
>> Certainly. And it was spelled correctly in my original post.
>> Correcting spelling errors is a very serious matter, but coming back to
>> the
>> substance - do you also support a view that Yasukuni has nothing to do
>> with
>> the Bushido and the revision of the history of the WW2 and Sino-Japanese
>> war? Do you also think that the Japan's PM visits to it means nothing and
>> China and Korea freak out just because they have nothing better to do?

> These are indeed touchy questions, but they really have no relevance
> here in this group.
>
>> And finally - do you support Kuri's view that Japanese "forgot or never
>> knew" of the "crazy colonial" times?

> I disagree with this somewhat. I believe most thinking, adult Japanese
> realize the people of Japan were deceived and lied to by military
> authorities, especially during the Pacific War.
>
> --crymad

>> > Well. part of the reason you'll find very little on the subject of
>> > "Yasukune" is that it's spelled wrong. "Yasukuni" is correct.
>> >
>> > --crymad

Alex Chaihorsky

"crymad" > wrote in message

> Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>>
>> Certainly. And it was spelled correctly in my original post.
>> Correcting spelling errors is a very serious matter, but coming back to
>> the
>> substance - do you also support a view that Yasukuni has nothing to do
>> with
>> the Bushido and the revision of the history of the WW2 and Sino-Japanese
>> war? Do you also think that the Japan's PM visits to it means nothing and
>> China and Korea freak out just because they have nothing better to do?

> These are indeed touchy questions, but they really have no relevance
> here in this group.
>
>> And finally - do you support Kuri's view that Japanese "forgot or never
>> knew" of the "crazy colonial" times?

> I disagree with this somewhat. I believe most thinking, adult Japanese
> realize the people of Japan were deceived and lied to by military
> authorities, especially during the Pacific War.
>
> --crymad

>> > Well. part of the reason you'll find very little on the subject of
>> > "Yasukune" is that it's spelled wrong. "Yasukuni" is correct.
>> >
>> > --crymad

cc

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message

> 1. It does not matter when Yasukune Shrine was built. The 4-wing swastika
> also came to existance way before Hitler, but it BECAME a symbol of

Nazism.
> Kremlin was built as a citadel of Russian Tzars and later BECAME a simbol

of
> Russian Communism and imperialism. The Yasukune Temple BECAME a symbol of
> revival of Bushido

Wrong. It's a symbol of modern colonialist Japan. There had been some shrine
built there before, but it became Yasukuni Jinja enshrining people dead for
the Japanese nation at the end of 19th century. It became the local
equivalent of Arlington when Japan made its first war against Russia. In
1945, the Americans didn't see any problem with it.

>as well as a target of extensive compaints and
> diplomatical problems with the governments of China and Korea. If you were
> right and Yasukune was not that - why all the fuss, demonstrations of
> protest outside it and support inside it during yearly PM visits there?

Because the Chinese and Koreans were the main victims of modern Japanese
militarism. And also because they are living in Chinese and Koreans regimes
and their not-that-democratic leaders have found useful to make an
anti-Japan propaganda until quite recently.

> That is if you are a student of history.

Are you a teacher and is that an examination ?

Kuri

Michael Plant

Alex digy.com9/13/04

Major snippage of ramble having nothing whatsoever to do with tea

> Another side of this story is conveniently forgot by all sides. It is the
> role of Soviet Russia in Perl Harbor attack.Just for fun - have anyone heard
> anything about it? I will post later the US Senate hearings documents that
> openly state that USSR did everything possible to make sure that Japanese
> attack the US in fall-winter of 1941, but I am just curious how well is it
> known on this side of the puddle.
>
> Sasha.

snip snap

Sasha my friend,

Give it up. The USSR had the good sense to take itself off line. Besides, on
this side of the puddle we think it's piddle. Speaking of which, let's get
back to tea.

Miles Davis in Big Red Robe

Michael

Michael Plant

Alex digy.com9/13/04

Major snippage of ramble having nothing whatsoever to do with tea

> Another side of this story is conveniently forgot by all sides. It is the
> role of Soviet Russia in Perl Harbor attack.Just for fun - have anyone heard
> anything about it? I will post later the US Senate hearings documents that
> openly state that USSR did everything possible to make sure that Japanese
> attack the US in fall-winter of 1941, but I am just curious how well is it
> known on this side of the puddle.
>
> Sasha.

snip snap

Sasha my friend,

Give it up. The USSR had the good sense to take itself off line. Besides, on
this side of the puddle we think it's piddle. Speaking of which, let's get
back to tea.

Miles Davis in Big Red Robe

Michael

Space Cowboy

If nothing else Nintendo will make sure it doesn't happen. Public
posturing is good for TV. Russia won't return to Communism, Germany
won't return to Nationalism, Japan won't return to Militarism. Visit
the history groups and get your fill of each side. If I'm Bin Laden
I'll destabilize Russia enough for somebody to give me a WMD for
payback at the West for cold war humiliation or American military
success in Afghanistan. If you want to dominate the world become an
American. I never saw Japanese or Chinese products in each other's
stores until last ten years. The Chinese business man who started the
national Asian supermarket chain stocks more Japanese tea than
Chinese.

Jim

crymad > wrote in message >...
> Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>
> > One correction on the substance, though - I never wished that the Bushido
> > times comes to Japan again - I just said that it is INEVITABLE. Watching
> > Japanese PR paying yearly visits to Yasukuni Shrine should leave few doubts
> > in anyone's mind.

> You've got to be kidding. Have you ever even been to Japan?
>
> --crymad

Space Cowboy

crymad > wrote in message >...
> Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>
> > One correction on the substance, though - I never wished that the Bushido
> > times comes to Japan again - I just said that it is INEVITABLE. Watching
> > Japanese PR paying yearly visits to Yasukuni Shrine should leave few doubts
> > in anyone's mind.

> You've got to be kidding. Have you ever even been to Japan?
>
> --crymad

Space Cowboy

My favorite Russian historical tidbit Russian armies were prepared to
strike from Siberia across Bering straight with plans to be in New
York City in one week. The bombs on Japan stopped that. We're damn
lucky Stalin and Hitler were so greedy. Hitler could have conquered
Europe and Africa, Stalin the Americas and Asia including Japan. This
is a discussion group about tea but if you can't get enough historical
butifs anomalies watch the History channel.

Jim

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message .com>...
With a stroke history deleted
> Another side of this story is conveniently forgot by all sides. It is the
> role of Soviet Russia in Perl Harbor attack.Just for fun - have anyone heard
> anything about it? I will post later the US Senate hearings documents that
> openly state that USSR did everything possible to make sure that Japanese
> attack the US in fall-winter of 1941, but I am just curious how well is it
> known on this side of the puddle.
>
> Sasha.

Space Cowboy

My favorite Russian historical tidbit Russian armies were prepared to
strike from Siberia across Bering straight with plans to be in New
York City in one week. The bombs on Japan stopped that. We're damn
lucky Stalin and Hitler were so greedy. Hitler could have conquered
Europe and Africa, Stalin the Americas and Asia including Japan. This
is a discussion group about tea but if you can't get enough historical
butifs anomalies watch the History channel.

Jim

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message .com>...
With a stroke history deleted
> Another side of this story is conveniently forgot by all sides. It is the
> role of Soviet Russia in Perl Harbor attack.Just for fun - have anyone heard
> anything about it? I will post later the US Senate hearings documents that
> openly state that USSR did everything possible to make sure that Japanese
> attack the US in fall-winter of 1941, but I am just curious how well is it
> known on this side of the puddle.
>
> Sasha.

Rick Chappell

Alex Chaihorsky > wrote:
> Richard has no Russian equivalent, because it is not a Biblical name. And
> Risha sounds a bit girly, because there is a diminitive from Irina - Irisha.

Girly? Girly? Me? Impossible. Why, I can take square roots in my
head. I can list several Moravingian kings. Who could ask for more
in a man?

> I guess Chasha will be the best (ALEK-SA-NDR - SAsha, RI-CHA-RD - Chasha.)
> But there is a Russian word "chasha" - its a bowl. AND it also sounds a bit
> girly. Its up to you now

Now we're getting somewhere. My biblical name is Aryeh, anglicized as
Leon, which in turn makes Lev, right? And isn't that finally a butch
name?

> Chepelyevsky, Chepelyevsky... Lithvania?

Although the Hasids might call me a Litvak because I prefer logic over
alcohol, no. It is Belorussian (at least his home town was in Belorus
at the time when my grandfather fled for his life - I believe that it
changed ownership frequently, which was a big part of the problem).

Ob tea/Russia: I have been trying to use my samovar with various kinds
of tea. Caucasian black - of course, the best; green - okay if you
empty the zavarka with each steep, which kind of defeats the purpose;
oolong - ditto (though for it and green it can still be a convenient
way to brew); black pu erh - great, it doesn't mind oversteeping.

Rick.

Rick Chappell

Alex Chaihorsky > wrote:
> Richard has no Russian equivalent, because it is not a Biblical name. And
> Risha sounds a bit girly, because there is a diminitive from Irina - Irisha.

Girly? Girly? Me? Impossible. Why, I can take square roots in my
head. I can list several Moravingian kings. Who could ask for more
in a man?

> I guess Chasha will be the best (ALEK-SA-NDR - SAsha, RI-CHA-RD - Chasha.)
> But there is a Russian word "chasha" - its a bowl. AND it also sounds a bit
> girly. Its up to you now

Now we're getting somewhere. My biblical name is Aryeh, anglicized as
Leon, which in turn makes Lev, right? And isn't that finally a butch
name?

> Chepelyevsky, Chepelyevsky... Lithvania?

Although the Hasids might call me a Litvak because I prefer logic over
alcohol, no. It is Belorussian (at least his home town was in Belorus
at the time when my grandfather fled for his life - I believe that it
changed ownership frequently, which was a big part of the problem).

Ob tea/Russia: I have been trying to use my samovar with various kinds
of tea. Caucasian black - of course, the best; green - okay if you
empty the zavarka with each steep, which kind of defeats the purpose;
oolong - ditto (though for it and green it can still be a convenient
way to brew); black pu erh - great, it doesn't mind oversteeping.

Rick.

Alex Chaihorsky

Rick -

Lev is not a real butch name because in Russia 99% of Levs are Jewish
boychiks with beards and thick glasses with degrees in math. Not really that
butchy crowd. I guess their parents named them Lev because they thought it
was a butch name, but they overdid it I have never met a Russian Russian
guy named Lev. However the Chief's counterintellegence guy for famous
Ukrainian anarchist leader Nestor Makhno ( http://www.nestormakhno.info/ )
name was Lev Zadov and he was the butches butch butch. That may help a bit.
Anyway, Lev (Lyova, Lyovka) is a good Russian name slightly spoiled by Leiba
Bronshtein (Lev Trotsky that is here known as Leon Trotsky). You decide.

And for the purists here - yes its off-topic. Behead me..

Sasha.

"Rick Chappell" > wrote in message
> Alex Chaihorsky > wrote:
>> Richard has no Russian equivalent, because it is not a Biblical name. And
>> Risha sounds a bit girly, because there is a diminitive from Irina -
>> Irisha.

> Girly? Girly? Me? Impossible. Why, I can take square roots in my
> head. I can list several Moravingian kings. Who could ask for more
> in a man?
>
>> I guess Chasha will be the best (ALEK-SA-NDR - SAsha, RI-CHA-RD -
>> Chasha.)
>> But there is a Russian word "chasha" - its a bowl. AND it also sounds a
>> bit
>> girly. Its up to you now

> Now we're getting somewhere. My biblical name is Aryeh, anglicized as
> Leon, which in turn makes Lev, right? And isn't that finally a butch
> name?
>
>> Chepelyevsky, Chepelyevsky... Lithvania?

> Although the Hasids might call me a Litvak because I prefer logic over
> alcohol, no. It is Belorussian (at least his home town was in Belorus
> at the time when my grandfather fled for his life - I believe that it
> changed ownership frequently, which was a big part of the problem).
>
> Ob tea/Russia: I have been trying to use my samovar with various kinds
> of tea. Caucasian black - of course, the best; green - okay if you
> empty the zavarka with each steep, which kind of defeats the purpose;
> oolong - ditto (though for it and green it can still be a convenient
> way to brew); black pu erh - great, it doesn't mind oversteeping.
>
> Rick.

Alex Chaihorsky

Rick -

Lev is not a real butch name because in Russia 99% of Levs are Jewish
boychiks with beards and thick glasses with degrees in math. Not really that
butchy crowd. I guess their parents named them Lev because they thought it
was a butch name, but they overdid it I have never met a Russian Russian
guy named Lev. However the Chief's counterintellegence guy for famous
Ukrainian anarchist leader Nestor Makhno ( http://www.nestormakhno.info/ )
name was Lev Zadov and he was the butches butch butch. That may help a bit.
Anyway, Lev (Lyova, Lyovka) is a good Russian name slightly spoiled by Leiba
Bronshtein (Lev Trotsky that is here known as Leon Trotsky). You decide.

And for the purists here - yes its off-topic. Behead me..

Sasha.

"Rick Chappell" > wrote in message
> Alex Chaihorsky > wrote:
>> Richard has no Russian equivalent, because it is not a Biblical name. And
>> Risha sounds a bit girly, because there is a diminitive from Irina -
>> Irisha.

> Girly? Girly? Me? Impossible. Why, I can take square roots in my
> head. I can list several Moravingian kings. Who could ask for more
> in a man?
>
>> I guess Chasha will be the best (ALEK-SA-NDR - SAsha, RI-CHA-RD -
>> Chasha.)
>> But there is a Russian word "chasha" - its a bowl. AND it also sounds a
>> bit
>> girly. Its up to you now

> Now we're getting somewhere. My biblical name is Aryeh, anglicized as
> Leon, which in turn makes Lev, right? And isn't that finally a butch
> name?
>
>> Chepelyevsky, Chepelyevsky... Lithvania?

> Although the Hasids might call me a Litvak because I prefer logic over
> alcohol, no. It is Belorussian (at least his home town was in Belorus
> at the time when my grandfather fled for his life - I believe that it
> changed ownership frequently, which was a big part of the problem).
>
> Ob tea/Russia: I have been trying to use my samovar with various kinds
> of tea. Caucasian black - of course, the best; green - okay if you
> empty the zavarka with each steep, which kind of defeats the purpose;
> oolong - ditto (though for it and green it can still be a convenient
> way to brew); black pu erh - great, it doesn't mind oversteeping.
>
> Rick.

Alex Chaihorsky

You just contradicted your own previous e-mails. Re-read your own stuff.
You want to take this off the NG, I will be glad to.
Hey, everybody, do not blame me if this goes on - I offered to take this off
NG.

Sasha.

"cc" > wrote in message

> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
>
>> 1. It does not matter when Yasukune Shrine was built. The 4-wing swastika
>> also came to existance way before Hitler, but it BECAME a symbol of

> Nazism.
>> Kremlin was built as a citadel of Russian Tzars and later BECAME a simbol

> of
>> Russian Communism and imperialism. The Yasukune Temple BECAME a symbol of
>> revival of Bushido

> Wrong. It's a symbol of modern colonialist Japan. There had been some
> shrine
> built there before, but it became Yasukuni Jinja enshrining people dead
> for
> the Japanese nation at the end of 19th century. It became the local
> equivalent of Arlington when Japan made its first war against Russia. In
> 1945, the Americans didn't see any problem with it.
>
>>as well as a target of extensive compaints and
>> diplomatical problems with the governments of China and Korea. If you
>> were
>> right and Yasukune was not that - why all the fuss, demonstrations of
>> protest outside it and support inside it during yearly PM visits there?

> Because the Chinese and Koreans were the main victims of modern Japanese
> militarism. And also because they are living in Chinese and Koreans
> regimes
> and their not-that-democratic leaders have found useful to make an
> anti-Japan propaganda until quite recently.
>
>> That is if you are a student of history.

> Are you a teacher and is that an examination ?
>
> Kuri

Alex Chaihorsky

"cc" > wrote in message

> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
>
>> 1. It does not matter when Yasukune Shrine was built. The 4-wing swastika
>> also came to existance way before Hitler, but it BECAME a symbol of

> Nazism.
>> Kremlin was built as a citadel of Russian Tzars and later BECAME a simbol

> of
>> Russian Communism and imperialism. The Yasukune Temple BECAME a symbol of
>> revival of Bushido

> Wrong. It's a symbol of modern colonialist Japan. There had been some
> shrine
> built there before, but it became Yasukuni Jinja enshrining people dead
> for
> the Japanese nation at the end of 19th century. It became the local
> equivalent of Arlington when Japan made its first war against Russia. In
> 1945, the Americans didn't see any problem with it.
>
>>as well as a target of extensive compaints and
>> diplomatical problems with the governments of China and Korea. If you
>> were
>> right and Yasukune was not that - why all the fuss, demonstrations of
>> protest outside it and support inside it during yearly PM visits there?

> Because the Chinese and Koreans were the main victims of modern Japanese
> militarism. And also because they are living in Chinese and Koreans
> regimes
> and their not-that-democratic leaders have found useful to make an
> anti-Japan propaganda until quite recently.
>
>> That is if you are a student of history.

> Are you a teacher and is that an examination ?
>
> Kuri

Lewis Perin

"Alex Chaihorsky" > writes:

> Rick -
>
> Lev is not a real butch name because in Russia 99% of Levs are Jewish
> boychiks with beards and thick glasses with degrees in math. Not really that
> butchy crowd. I guess their parents named them Lev because they thought it
> was a butch name, but they overdid it I have never met a Russian Russian
> guy named Lev. However the Chief's counterintellegence guy for famous
> Ukrainian anarchist leader Nestor Makhno ( http://www.nestormakhno.info/ )
> name was Lev Zadov and he was the butches butch butch. That may help a bit.
> Anyway, Lev (Lyova, Lyovka) is a good Russian name slightly spoiled by Leiba
> Bronshtein (Lev Trotsky that is here known as Leon Trotsky). You decide.
>
> And for the purists here - yes its off-topic. Behead me..

That would be an ultra-butch haircut.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Lewis Perin

"Alex Chaihorsky" > writes:

> Rick -
>
> Lev is not a real butch name because in Russia 99% of Levs are Jewish
> boychiks with beards and thick glasses with degrees in math. Not really that
> butchy crowd. I guess their parents named them Lev because they thought it
> was a butch name, but they overdid it I have never met a Russian Russian
> guy named Lev. However the Chief's counterintellegence guy for famous
> Ukrainian anarchist leader Nestor Makhno ( http://www.nestormakhno.info/ )
> name was Lev Zadov and he was the butches butch butch. That may help a bit.
> Anyway, Lev (Lyova, Lyovka) is a good Russian name slightly spoiled by Leiba
> Bronshtein (Lev Trotsky that is here known as Leon Trotsky). You decide.
>
> And for the purists here - yes its off-topic. Behead me..

That would be an ultra-butch haircut.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Rick Chappell

Alex Chaihorsky > wrote:

> Lev is not a real butch name because in Russia 99% of Levs are Jewish
> boychiks with beards and thick glasses with degrees in math.

You must have hired a private eye! You didn't mention - do they like
to play chess?

And how about Tolstoy? Wasn't Tolstoy butch? (I see a thesis topic here).

Rick.
Rick Chappell

Alex Chaihorsky > wrote:

> Lev is not a real butch name because in Russia 99% of Levs are Jewish
> boychiks with beards and thick glasses with degrees in math.

You must have hired a private eye! You didn't mention - do they like
to play chess?

And how about Tolstoy? Wasn't Tolstoy butch? (I see a thesis topic here).

Rick.
Alex Chaihorsky

"Rick Chappell" > wrote in message
> Alex Chaihorsky > wrote:
>
>> Lev is not a real butch name because in Russia 99% of Levs are Jewish
>> boychiks with beards and thick glasses with degrees in math.

> You must have hired a private eye! You didn't mention - do they like
> to play chess?
>
> And how about Tolstoy? Wasn't Tolstoy butch? (I see a thesis topic
> here).
>
> Rick.

I think chess became less popular after the birth of PC (its a better toy,
IMHO)
Also the fact that today machine beats human champ played its role lately.
Fisher's variant is a good try, but I prefer shogi.
Was Tolstoy a butch? N-aaah. No more than Lincoln.

Sasha.

Alex Chaihorsky

"Rick Chappell" > wrote in message
> Alex Chaihorsky > wrote:
>
>> Lev is not a real butch name because in Russia 99% of Levs are Jewish
>> boychiks with beards and thick glasses with degrees in math.

> You must have hired a private eye! You didn't mention - do they like
> to play chess?
>
> And how about Tolstoy? Wasn't Tolstoy butch? (I see a thesis topic
> here).
>
> Rick.

I think chess became less popular after the birth of PC (its a better toy,
IMHO)
Also the fact that today machine beats human champ played its role lately.
Fisher's variant is a good try, but I prefer shogi.
Was Tolstoy a butch? N-aaah. No more than Lincoln.

Sasha.

Joel Reicher

"Alex Chaihorsky" > writes:

> I think chess became less popular after the birth of PC (its a better toy,
> IMHO)
> Also the fact that today machine beats human champ played its role lately.

The machine is programmed with algorithms of human invention, is given
all that is known of human strategy, primed with studies of decades of
human competition, and this machine takes the credit?

Pah.

Cheers,

- Joel
Joel Reicher

"Alex Chaihorsky" > writes:

> I think chess became less popular after the birth of PC (its a better toy,
> IMHO)
> Also the fact that today machine beats human champ played its role lately.

The machine is programmed with algorithms of human invention, is given
all that is known of human strategy, primed with studies of decades of
human competition, and this machine takes the credit?

Pah.

Cheers,

- Joel
Maru

Those castles were largely destroyed by the shoguns seeking to prevent
any successful rebellion. Or did you really think that the clans were
stupid enough to destroy something as awesomely valuable as a castle?
~Maru
cc wrote:

>>This is laughable. The medieval
>>Japan was a theatre of many battles between clans for centuries. If after
>>every battle the army of one side will lose all its trained officers to
>>suicide practice, the country would cease to exist.

> This is exactly what happened. Open an history book some day. When a clan
> lost a war, the surviving warriors were executed unless they managed to
> kill themselves before being caught. The only choice of life for a member of
> a defeated samurai family was lonely wandering in the mountains or, if his
> enemies allowed it, joining the "buraku" (sort of ghetto for the caste of
> people considered lower than
> the anybody else). The castle of the clan was destroyed and all their lands
> and belonging taken. Their country disappeared from the map. Only 3 castles
> (among the hundreds that were ever built) were left at the end of samurai
> wars.
> Wishing that those times come back in Japan (as you did) is like wishing a
> new Staline to Russia (which I don't).
>
> Kuri

Tea

It's also laughable because many of the lords changed sides on a near
clockwork basis. Like chivalry, bushido was more a nostalgic belief than a
real one, and was codified when the warrior period was waning- in fact it
was pretty much dead (http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~dee/TOKJAPAN/NEO.HTM).

It would have been a waste to kill every samurai who was on the losing side,
and it would also have been impossible, since some would get away. Some
became ronin, selling themselves to the highest bidder. Some committed
seppuku. Some even may have become yakuza. Other masterless samurai,
especially in the waning days of the Tokugawa Shogunate, became artisans and
traders. Some even became farmers.
Romantic and sad as it might be to picture medieval Japan just plumb full of
wandering samurai families whose lords had lost battles, it doesn't ring
true. Were there lots of samurai who were put to death at the end of a
battle? Heck, yes. At the end of the Warring States period, only about a
dozen major families remained extant. I wouldn't want to live in the period
of Warring States for anything. But every samurai who was originally on the
losing side wasn't killed, and samurais didn't exist as a fully separate
caste until the time of Toyatomi Hideyoshi, when everyone in Japanese
society started to be locked into their social roles.

Newbie question Billi Preserving 3 06-09-2013 07:30 PM
Newbie Question Greg Horne Sourdough 11 04-01-2007 08:54 AM
Newbie question Marty Phee Winemaking 7 04-10-2005 04:42 PM
Newbie Question Doctor Evil Winemaking 4 10-09-2004 04:09 PM
Newbie Question Douglas Gaulin Winemaking 6 04-12-2003 07:48 PM