Old 02-05-2006, 02:43 AM posted to alt.food.sushi

Default White Tuna (Escolar)

wrote in message
oups.com...

I've also wondered how those huge and very popular AYCE sushi
places manage to keep all their fish safe - no worms and things
slipping through.

Almost all sushi materials are either frozen (7 days at 4 deg F) or have
been cooked in some matter . . . both of which deal with biological hazards.

Old 02-05-2006, 06:20 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Almost all sushi materials are either frozen (7 days at 4 deg F) or
have
been cooked in some matter . . . both of which deal with biological
hazards.

_____________________-

Yeah, I figured that was the case. I read that the raw herring that
they sell in Amsterdam, Holland has to be deep frozen first, too. That
was years ago. Doesn't seem to affect the taste. What percentage of
raw fish in other sushi restaurants undergoes the freezing process,
anyway? Most of it?

ww

Old 02-05-2006, 08:12 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

wrote in message
ps.com...
Almost all sushi materials are either frozen (7 days at 4 deg F) or
have
been cooked in some matter . . . both of which deal with biological
hazards.

_____________________-

Yeah, I figured that was the case. I read that the raw herring that
they sell in Amsterdam, Holland has to be deep frozen first, too. That
was years ago. Doesn't seem to affect the taste. What percentage of
raw fish in other sushi restaurants undergoes the freezing process,
anyway? Most of it?

Speaking of which, the annual Herring fetival at the Oyster Bar in Grand
Central in New York
started yesterday, with daily airfreighted herring from Holland.
In fact, if I weren't scheduled for sush tonight I'd be heading over there.
I'll bet with restaurant fish all if not most is once frozen.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:40 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

"Musashi" wrote:
[ . . . ]
Speaking of which, the annual Herring fetival at the Oyster Bar in Grand
Central in New York
started yesterday, with daily airfreighted herring from Holland.
In fact, if I weren't scheduled for sush tonight I'd be heading over
there. I'll bet with restaurant fish all if not most is once frozen.

As a high school student, I sold newspapers in Grand Central around 1950.
Me and my buddies would occasionally eat at the Oyster Bar. Their fare was
always great, but we were making 56 an hour, so didn't do it often, even
though one of the waiters (Jos) always gave us a break.

Old 02-05-2006, 11:11 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Almost all sushi materials are either frozen (7 days at 4 deg F) or
have
been cooked in some matter . . . both of which deal with biological
hazards.

_____________________-

Yeah, I figured that was the case. I read that the raw herring that
they sell in Amsterdam, Holland has to be deep frozen first, too. That
was years ago. Doesn't seem to affect the taste. What percentage of
raw fish in other sushi restaurants undergoes the freezing process,
anyway? Most of it?

Speaking of which, the annual Herring fetival at the Oyster Bar in Grand
Central in New York
started yesterday, with daily airfreighted herring from Holland.
In fact, if I weren't scheduled for sush tonight I'd be heading over there.
I'll bet with restaurant fish all if not most is once frozen.

Oh man, I'd be all over that! I loved the raw herring I had in Holland.

--
Dan
Old 03-05-2006, 03:55 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

wrote in message
"Musashi" wrote:
[ . . . ]
Speaking of which, the annual Herring fetival at the Oyster Bar in Grand
Central in New York
started yesterday, with daily airfreighted herring from Holland.
In fact, if I weren't scheduled for sush tonight I'd be heading over
there. I'll bet with restaurant fish all if not most is once frozen.

As a high school student, I sold newspapers in Grand Central around 1950.
Me and my buddies would occasionally eat at the Oyster Bar. Their fare was
always great, but we were making 56 an hour, so didn't do it often, even
though one of the waiters (Jos) always gave us a break.

56 cents in 1950 is something like $4.54 in 2005 adjusted dollars.
A pointless observation but thought I'd mention it.

Old 03-05-2006, 04:02 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

"Dan Logcher" wrote in message
Musashi wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

[...]

Well I'm going to get some of that herring this week for sure.
Oh last night, I had a little talk with the Itamae at a place I don't
usually frequent but
I consider pretty good. He had Super White Tuna in his case, both completely
raw (all pure white)
and Aburi (slightly seared).
We got to talking about it and although he wasn't sure about the legal
status in Japan he admitted that
it's a fish one simply doesn't see in Japan either in the the Sushi places
or even fish markets.
But contrary to what I thought, they are apparently not a southern pacific
fish, as he told me that they
are a tuna fishing by-product caught between northern Kyuushu and South
Korea.
He told me that due to the high fat content he doesn't recommend more than
one or two pieces to his
customers. As expected he said that none of his Japanese customers show any
interest in it but he started
carrying it as his local cusatomers asked him about it.
Despite all this talk, I didn't even get around to trying it as the Chu-Toro
was absolutely superb.

Old 03-05-2006, 05:05 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:
He told me that due to the high fat content he doesn't recommend more than
one or two pieces to his customers. As expected he said that none of his
Japanese customers show any interest in it but he started carrying it as
his local cusatomers asked him about it.

Probably a good suggestion, unless the customer knows they can ingest more.

Despite all this talk, I didn't even get around to trying it as the Chu-Toro
was absolutely superb.

Too bad if you've never tried it. Its quite good, and for the money I think
its a better value.

--
Dan
Old 03-05-2006, 05:17 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:
He told me that due to the high fat content he doesn't recommend more

than
one or two pieces to his customers. As expected he said that none of his
Japanese customers show any interest in it but he started carrying it

as
his local cusatomers asked him about it.

Probably a good suggestion, unless the customer knows they can ingest

more.

Despite all this talk, I didn't even get around to trying it as the

Chu-Toro
was absolutely superb.

Too bad if you've never tried it. Its quite good, and for the money I

think
its a better value.

--
Dan

I have tried it. A couple of years ago.
I just didn't try it last night. I think I should have tried the seared one
since that was new to me.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:37 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:

He told me that due to the high fat content he doesn't recommend more

than

one or two pieces to his customers. As expected he said that none of his

Japanese customers show any interest in it but he started carrying it

as

his local cusatomers asked him about it.

Probably a good suggestion, unless the customer knows they can ingest

more.

Despite all this talk, I didn't even get around to trying it as the

Chu-Toro

was absolutely superb.

Too bad if you've never tried it. Its quite good, and for the money I

think

its a better value.\

I have tried it. A couple of years ago.
I just didn't try it last night. I think I should have tried the seared one
since that was new to me.

I wonder if grilling would make it more edible for anyone with digestion
issues with its raw form.

--
Dan
Old 03-05-2006, 11:39 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Speaking of which, the annual Herring fetival at the Oyster Bar in Grand
Central in New York
started yesterday, with daily airfreighted herring from Holland.
In fact, if I weren't scheduled for sush tonight I'd be heading over there.
I'll bet with restaurant fish all if not most is once frozen.

_________________

I love that stuff, too! Do you know if there's anyplace one can get
raw Holland-style herring in the US - other than special annual
airlifts?

Green herring link:

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_...landse+Nieuwe+

ww

Old 04-05-2006, 02:34 AM posted to alt.food.sushi

"Musashi" wrote:
wrote in message
"Musashi" wrote:
[ . . . ]
Speaking of which, the annual Herring fetival at the Oyster Bar in
Grand Central in New York
started yesterday, with daily airfreighted herring from Holland.
In fact, if I weren't scheduled for sush tonight I'd be heading over
there. I'll bet with restaurant fish all if not most is once frozen.

As a high school student, I sold newspapers in Grand Central around
1950. Me and my buddies would occasionally eat at the Oyster Bar. Their
fare was always great, but we were making 56 an hour, so didn't do it
often, even though one of the waiters (Jos) always gave us a break.

56 cents in 1950 is something like $4.54 in 2005 adjusted dollars.
A pointless observation but thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for the O Soto Gari!

Old 04-05-2006, 04:52 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

wrote in message
oups.com...

Speaking of which, the annual Herring fetival at the Oyster Bar in Grand
Central in New York
started yesterday, with daily airfreighted herring from Holland.
In fact, if I weren't scheduled for sush tonight I'd be heading over

there.
I'll bet with restaurant fish all if not most is once frozen.

_________________

I love that stuff, too! Do you know if there's anyplace one can get
raw Holland-style herring in the US - other than special annual
airlifts?

Green herring link:

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_...landse+Nieuwe+

Unfortunately...no.
I was grateful to discover there was a place in New York City.
I'll bet there must be some forums where dutch people living in the US
gather and they
would know.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:40 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

I love that stuff, too! Do you know if there's anyplace one can get
raw Holland-style herring in the US - other than special annual
airlifts?

Green herring link:

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_...landse+Nieuwe+

Unfortunately...no.
I was grateful to discover there was a place in New York City.
I'll bet there must be some forums where dutch people living in the US
gather and they
would know.

Yeah, I made an unsuccessful quest for green herring when I was living
in NYC.

That's a good idea - a Dutch expatriate forum, in case there is such a
thing...probably is...maybe.

Anyway, did you go and get some? How was it?

ww

White Tuna Nanzi[_2_] Sushi 16 09-09-2009 03:17 AM
Have you tried white tuna? James[_1_] Sushi 31 12-12-2008 09:04 PM
White Tuna George Sushi 20 28-06-2005 07:14 PM
White tuna or escolar Dan Logcher Sushi 9 18-03-2005 11:22 PM