Dan Logcher

guren wrote:
> The only sushi tabehoudai I've been to is at MidoriZushi in
> Umegaoka. It's a great value at 3,500 yen per person (the
> price is slightly lower for women) and the quality of the neta
> is uniformly excellent. The downsides are that they only run
> the tabehoudai on Mondays and the time limit is just one
> hour. Eating 30+ pieces of huge sushi in an hour is literally
> a painful experience - but, worth it.

Art and I had an all-you-can-eat sushi contest once, we bottomed
out at 30 and 33 pieces respectively. These weren't huge pieces
but normal sized. Had we gone any further, they would have had
to wheel us out to the car.

--
Dan
Tippi

"Musashi" > wrote
> tabehoudai (all you can eat) places which serve sushi are
> not so common in the US.

Here in Toronto, Canada, there are quite a few (I can think of about
10) Japanese all-you-can-eat restaurents which serve sushi. Only two
of them I know of is buffet-style where everything is laid out, the
others you can order all you want from menus. And only one or two of
them has a Japanese sushi chef, the others are Chinese or Korean. The
selection and quality varies from place to place, some only maybe 5
choices, the actual Japanese one has about 30 I think (including
sashimi, nigiri and maki).

A Japanese co-worker once told me buffets and all-u-can-eat, where you
may end up with different foods on your plate, does not really appeal
to the Japanese because they like to have food in an orderly manner.
Gerry

In article >, masayuki >
wrote:

> > From what I've seen in most super markets, all meats are kept in seperate
> > sections. Typically fish is kept in it's own place seperately from poulty
> > and other meats. So I don't think it's a problem.

> Unlike UK, the USA would demonstrate that it is careful about sanitation
> in dealing with meats. I'm relieved to hear that.

Don't believe it. The USA is dominated by financial gain, we have
plenty of filth in the food chain. For instance, some have said the
amount of mad-cow desease in the US beef market could not possibly be
estimated because anyone who knows wouldn't tell.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Gerry

In article >, masayuki >
wrote:

> Another question: do you have nomihoudai (all you can drink) places in the USA?

No. We have very different viewpoints about such matters in the USA.
And with such poor public transportation, we could expect very very
drunk people to be driving and killing people. After which the
establishment that sold them the beverages would be sued.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Musashi

"Tippi" > wrote in message =
om...
> "Musashi" > wrote=20
> > tabehoudai (all you can eat) places which serve sushi are=20
> > not so common in the US.=20

>=20
> Here in Toronto, Canada, there are quite a few (I can think of about
> 10) Japanese all-you-can-eat restaurents which serve sushi. Only two
> of them I know of is buffet-style where everything is laid out, the
> others you can order all you want from menus. And only one or two of
> them has a Japanese sushi chef, the others are Chinese or Korean. The
> selection and quality varies from place to place, some only maybe 5
> choices, the actual Japanese one has about 30 I think (including
> sashimi, nigiri and maki).
>=20

I did not include Chinese restaurants which offer=20
all-you-can-eat buffets on the weekends which also happen to have some =
sushi
amongst the offerings. These kind of places are fairly common here in =
the
New York suburbs.

> A Japanese co-worker once told me buffets and all-u-can-eat, where you
> may end up with different foods on your plate, does not really appeal
> to the Japanese because they like to have food in an orderly manner.

Not sure if that is true. Tabehoudai certainly appeals to younger people =
with
larger appetites and perhaps limited budgets. In that respect, certainly =
tabehoudai
is no less popular in Japan than anywhere else. Buffets themselves, =
called "Viking"
in Japan are popular there, again among those who prefer that sort of =
thing.
I really don't think there is any specific generalization that one can =
make about
Japanese and "all-you-can-eat" or "buffets".

Dan Logcher

Gerry wrote:

> In article >, masayuki >
> wrote:
>

>>>From what I've seen in most super markets, all meats are kept in seperate
>>>sections. Typically fish is kept in it's own place seperately from poulty
>>>and other meats. So I don't think it's a problem.
>>>

>>Unlike UK, the USA would demonstrate that it is careful about sanitation
>>in dealing with meats. I'm relieved to hear that.
>>

> Don't believe it. The USA is dominated by financial gain, we have
> plenty of filth in the food chain. For instance, some have said the
> amount of mad-cow desease in the US beef market could not possibly be
> estimated because anyone who knows wouldn't tell.

Yeah, the beef industry would sue ya! We hear more about contamination
at processing plants than at individual stores.

--
Dan

Gerry

In article >, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> > Don't believe it. The USA is dominated by financial gain, we have
> > plenty of filth in the food chain. For instance, some have said the
> > amount of mad-cow desease in the US beef market could not possibly be
> > estimated because anyone who knows wouldn't tell.

> Yeah, the beef industry would sue ya! We hear more about contamination
> at processing plants than at individual stores.

Recently read a short piece in Harper's that indicated that some vastly
greater amoung of bad-com disease had entered the food chain as a
result of feeding such cows to chickens (apparently legal), and later
feeding chicken parts back to the cows (also apparently legal).

Anymore it seems that eating our own poop would be less unhealthy than
eating most beef OR chicken, not to mention pigs...

Any recipes? :-)

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Tippi

"Musashi" > wrote
> "Tippi" > wrote
> > Here in Toronto, Canada, there are quite a few

> I did not include Chinese restaurants which offer
> all-you-can-eat buffets on the weekends which also happen to have some
> sushi amongst the offerings.

Neither did I, the ones I'm talking about are Japanese restaurents,
there is no Chinese food on the menu, but the owners and chefs are
Chinese or Korean.
Musashi

"Tippi" > wrote in message =
om...
> "Musashi" > wrote=20
> > "Tippi" > wrote=20
> > > Here in Toronto, Canada, there are quite a few=20

> >=20
> > I did not include Chinese restaurants which offer=20
> > all-you-can-eat buffets on the weekends which also happen to have =

some=20
> > sushi amongst the offerings.=20

>=20
> Neither did I, the ones I'm talking about are Japanese restaurents,
> there is no Chinese food on the menu, but the owners and chefs are
> Chinese or Korean.

While we have tons (literally) of Chinese and/or Korean owned "sushi" =
places, around
here none of them seem to do an all-you-can-eat/buffet.
Which is probably why the chain Todai opened a store in White Plains, =
Westchester.

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

> "Tippi" > wrote in message om...
>
>>"Musashi" > wrote
>>
>>>"Tippi" > wrote

>>>I did not include Chinese restaurants which offer
>>>all-you-can-eat buffets on the weekends which also happen to have some
>>>sushi amongst the offerings.

>>Neither did I, the ones I'm talking about are Japanese restaurents,
>>there is no Chinese food on the menu, but the owners and chefs are
>>Chinese or Korean.

> While we have tons (literally) of Chinese and/or Korean owned "sushi" places, around
> here none of them seem to do an all-you-can-eat/buffet.
> Which is probably why the chain Todai opened a store in White Plains, Westchester.

Around Boston, only non-Japanese owned sushi bars seem to do all you can eat.
They are either Chinese or Korean.

--
Dan

Ann I. Sakis

> Around Boston, only non-Japanese owned sushi bars seem to do
> all you can eat.
> They are either Chinese or Korean.

Suishaya in Boston's Chinatown used to do AYCE dinner for ca. $30
but I was never hungry enough to try it. I'm pretty sure that's a Korean
sushi place. (Never saw an AYCE offering at Ginza or Apollo.)

I think that "Tokyo Restaurant" near Fresh Pond in Cambridge used to
have an AYCE buffet lunch that included sushi. Maybe it was only on
weekends? Never tried that, either. I don't know about the ownership
of this place.

--
Sent by xanadoog from yahoo within field com
Dan Logcher

Ann I. Sakis wrote:

>>Around Boston, only non-Japanese owned sushi bars seem to do
>>all you can eat.
>>They are either Chinese or Korean.
>>

> Suishaya in Boston's Chinatown used to do AYCE dinner for ca. $30
> but I was never hungry enough to try it. I'm pretty sure that's a Korean
> sushi place. (Never saw an AYCE offering at Ginza or Apollo.)

Yes, Suishaya is Korean owned. Sushi Corner in Melrose is Chinese owned.
Zipangu closed, but when it was open had an AYCE. I don't think they were
Japanese owned.. but cannot say for sure.

> I think that "Tokyo Restaurant" near Fresh Pond in Cambridge used to
> have an AYCE buffet lunch that included sushi. Maybe it was only on
> weekends? Never tried that, either. I don't know about the ownership
> of this place.

I've been there for their buffet, and I wouldn't say it's AYCE sushi.
They server mostly rolls and some/few nigiri. I had to fight off other
BSS members when they put out the salmon. I have scars. I odn't think
they are Japanese owned based on some of the buffet items.. I'll see if
I can figure it out.

Bisuteki had an AYCE for a while, which is where Art and I had the sushi
eating contest. They stopped the AYCE soon after.. hmm, wonder why?
I have no idea of the ownership there..

So are you in Boston?

--
Dan

Art

>> Around Boston, only non-Japanese owned sushi bars seem to do
>> all you can eat.
>> They are either Chinese or Korean.

>Suishaya in Boston's Chinatown used to do AYCE dinner for ca. $30
>but I was never hungry enough to try it. I'm pretty sure that's a Korean
>sushi place. (Never saw an AYCE offering at Ginza or Apollo.)
>
>I think that "Tokyo Restaurant" near Fresh Pond in Cambridge used to
>have an AYCE buffet lunch that included sushi. Maybe it was only on
>weekends? Never tried that, either. I don't know about the ownership
>of this place.

I think Tokyo is out of business.. well, I went there about 3 months ago, and
it was all closed up.

Dan "Bobble-Head" Logcher and I went to Bisuteki in Revere when they had an
AYCE. It was okay. They no longer offer it. Only place I know of is Sushi
Corner in Melrose, where it's $25.95 and freshly made to order. Includes
anything on the menu, including uni.

Haven't found anything down here in NJ yet. Took my mom to a buffet place
yesterday, for her birthday. They had smoked salmon nigiris, California rolls,
and Ebi nigiri.. pretty pedestrian stuff.

--Art
Dan Logcher

Bobble-head? You're still ****ed I beat you by 3 pieces of sushi?

--
Dan

Ken Blake

In ,
Gerry > typed:

>> Another question: do you have nomihoudai (all you can drink)
>> places
>> in the USA?

> No. We have very different viewpoints about such matters in
> the USA.
> And with such poor public transportation, we could expect very
> very
> drunk people to be driving and killing people. After which the
> establishment that sold them the beverages would be sued.

Although there may not be any all-you-can-drink *places* in the
USA, there are certainly many wine dinners and wine-tastings
offered to the public, that are, for all practical purposes,
all-you-can-drink.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Art

>Bobble-head? You're still ****ed I beat you by 3 pieces of sushi?

Nahh.. I just thought it was funny when someone referred to you as a Bobble
Head (didn't you see the post?)
Art

>While we have tons (literally) of Chinese and/or Korean owned "sushi" =
>places, around
>here none of them seem to do an all-you-can-eat/buffet.
>Which is probably why the chain Todai opened a store in White Plains, =
>Westchester.

There is also Minado, another Japanese buffet chain, with locations in NJ, MA
and NY. www.minado.com

I've never been there.. but will probably try the one in Parsippany sometime
soon.

--Art
Dan Logcher

Art wrote:

>>Bobble-head? You're still ****ed I beat you by 3 pieces of sushi?

> Nahh.. I just thought it was funny when someone referred to you as a Bobble
> Head (didn't you see the post?)

No I missed that one.. oh well. Must not have been important.

--
Dan
masayuki

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> masayuki wrote:

>>> From what I've seen in most super markets, all meats are kept in seperate
>>> sections. Typically fish is kept in it's own place seperately from
>>> poulty
>>> and other meats. So I don't think it's a problem.

>> Unlike UK, the USA would demonstrate that it is careful about sanitation
>> in dealing with meats. I'm relieved to hear that.

> In some cases yes, but not all super markets follow proper handling.

Not perfect even in Sushi Heaven like Japan.

Masayuki

> --
> Dan

masayuki

> How is the quality at Hina Sushi?

Not impacted but was good.

Masayuki
masayuki

> How is the quality at Hina Sushi?

Not impacted but was good.

Masayuki
Dan Logcher

Art wrote:

>>While we have tons (literally) of Chinese and/or Korean owned "sushi" =
>>places, around
>>here none of them seem to do an all-you-can-eat/buffet.
>>Which is probably why the chain Todai opened a store in White Plains, =
>>Westchester.
>>

> There is also Minado, another Japanese buffet chain, with locations in NJ, MA
> and NY. www.minado.com
>
> I've never been there.. but will probably try the one in Parsippany sometime
> soon.

From the sushi menu on their website, they list a lot of things that I haven't
seen at their Natick location. At the bottom it is mentioned that they rotate
the menu, and that lunch and dinner menus differ. I assume they put out the
uni on the days with the fewest people.. I think I'll call and ask when they
have it.

--
Dan

Michael

"Anonymous" > wrote in message
g...

> Meat and poultry processing is pretty disgusting to most people but who

wants
> to do it themselves? Someone recently posted to a.f.s that they RAISED

some

> pigs on their farm but brought them to someone else for slaughter and
> butchering.

Probably me. Pigs are something that my family used to get together and
slaughter together. Ten pigs, five families, a weekend. I'm the only one
left raising pigs and processing a 290 pound mammal is not so much fun by
yourself. Also pigs are basically blanched and scraped not skinned, another
pain in the butt.

I am curing the hams and bacon myself but the killing and processing was
done by a third party. We raise three pigs a year. Two are grown to
250-300 pounds and the third is killed at about forty pounds for roast
suckling pig. The little one I do myself because that size is manageasble
for one person.

We raise our own eggs and chicken meat. For sure not for economic reasons
but for control issues. I know exactly what goes into my chickens and kill
them myself. About fifty meat chickens a year and twenty or so hens in
residence.

My youngest daughter wants a sheep next spring...oh well we'll have to see.

I left the city about five years ago and almost instantly startyed raising
animals again. (I was raised on a farm and then moved to the city)