Old 25-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Melba's Jammin'

Default The 10th Annual Schaller State Fair Ribbon Report - The Queen is Dead! Long live the Queen! - But Life Ain't Bad (Long)

The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry Amaretto
Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
shame.

First place ribbon for baking was for Boy Brownies!! Oh, yeah! The
Chocolate Cherry Amaretto Brownies. I'm doing a tv appearance on
Saturday morning (KARE-11 for you Meen-a-soh-tans) at about 9:40 a.m.
pitching my Gedney State Fair Cherry Jam (an ingredient in the winning
brownies) and I know they're going to want the recipe. Trouble is I
didn't have much of a recipe -- I made it up as I went along. Guess
IBeBaking tonight or tomorrow to figure something out for them. I'll be
giving them a recipe for Cherry Chipotle Relish that they'll post on
their website. Gotta get that one made up, too. . . . I really should
learn to measure when I cook.

No other baking ribbons - go figure. Competition's getting tougher.
'Sokay. Oh cripes, I almost forgot: I was awarded 3rd place for the
Sweepstakes award for the Cookies -- that means the fine judges decided
my CCAB were the third best of all the freakin' cookie lots. I'm
pleased. There's no money in it for me and it doesn't show on the
online results info, either.

Other placings for canned goods were second place for Nectarine Jam;
third place for Plum Jelly, Cherry-Peach Jelly, Cherry Jelly, and Corn
Relish; fourth place for Apricot Butter (hisss-s-s-s-s); and fifth place
for Blackberry Jam.

I only took a few lousy pictures - the one of the brownies will be on my
website in a trice. And I *forgot* to go stand in front of my B&Bs and
accost innocent bystanders to tell them that those are MY pickles!
Good thing I'm going again. Modesty doesn't become me.

I took the first express bus to the Fairgrounds at 8:00 a.m. and was on
the 1:00 p.m. bus returning home. My dogs are barking. I'll go back on
Saturday morning for that tv thang and a two-hour stint in the Gedney
booth pitching my jams. (Catch the plural?) I'll go again for a 20-30
minute (!!) radio thing on KSTP-1500 with Joe Soucheray at 3:00 p.m. on
Friday, September 2; and La Twerp and her Female Parental Unit, Grandpa,
and Babi will go again on September 3. It will be Sam's first trip to
the Fair and She So 'Cited! "Rides? Animals, too?" I haven't seen her
in more than a month. I don't like that. I don't like that one
stinkin' bit.

It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.
-Barb
--
-Barb, http://www.jamlady.eboard.com Several notes since 8/18/05

Old 25-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Dimitri

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
[...]

WOW!

See talent always rises to the top.

Congratulations - you deserve to toot your own horn for a job well done.

Dimitri

Old 25-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Cindy Fuller

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry Amaretto
Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
shame.

Other highlights snipped
It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.

Congratulations! I knew you'd come through with ribbons flying.

Now for the hat in hand request: I picked 3 quarts of blackberries
today. I could have picked more, but I only brought a 3 quart dish.
Now I need to do something with them. Might I be so bold as to ask for
the recipes for the blackberry jam and jelly? The SO and I would be
most grateful.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Old 25-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Andy

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

I know they're going to want the recipe. Trouble is I
didn't have much of a recipe -- I made it up as I went along.

Congrats on the ribbons, but about "I made it up as I went along."...
shame, shame, shame!

Why don't you leave a tape recorder on so you can speak your ingredients
so if it turns into a hit, which it seems you do quite naturally, you
can present the TV audience a recipe.

Picture Beethoven just humming... da-da-da_DAH...

All the best,

Andy
Old 25-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article
,
Cindy Fuller wrote:

In article ,
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

[...]

Sweetie, get a package of pectin and follow the recipe -- it's what I
do. Ball Fruit Jell is cheaper than Sure Jell if you can find it. did
I ever mention that my blackberry "stuff" is made from commercially
frozen berries? I use about 4 packages (12-16 ounces each?) and thaw
them. Drain the juice and use it for jelly; use the berries for jam.
I recommend that, otherwise you will use one helluva lot of blackberries
in order to get a decent amount of juice.

IIR, if you use a LIQUID PECTIN recipe for making jelly, they usually
call for two pouches (the full box) of pectin (Ball makes one of those,
too; Certo is more commonly found). If your supply of blackberry juice
is slim, it's easy to make only half a recipe, using one pouch of liquid
pectin. BTDT.
--
-Barb, http://www.jamlady.eboard.com Several notes since 8/18/05

Old 25-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article , "Dimitri"
wrote:

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

(snippage of the frabjous details).

[...]

Thanks. The Minnesota State Fair is a good time. Perfect mornng
weather, it was getting hot by the time I left and I was happy to bail.
I'm looking forward to the trip there with La Twerp.
--
-Barb, http://www.jamlady.eboard.com Several notes since 8/18/05
Old 25-08-2005, 10:09 PM
TammyM

"Andy" Q wrote in message
.. .
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

I know they're going to want the recipe. Trouble is I
didn't have much of a recipe -- I made it up as I went along.

Congrats on the ribbons, but about "I made it up as I went along."...
shame, shame, shame!

Why don't you leave a tape recorder on so you can speak your ingredients
so if it turns into a hit, which it seems you do quite naturally, you
can present the TV audience a recipe.

Yeah, and we want recipes for those brownies, Granny! Sure wish I'd asked
you to autograph a jar of your Melba jam (I STILL have a couple of jars
from, oh, 10 years ago!!!) before you got all rich and famous :-)

Picture Beethoven just humming... da-da-da_DAH...

Now that's quite a visual. Er. Audio-visual :-)

TammyM

Old 25-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Damsel in dis Dress

Melba's Jammin' said:

The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

Congrats, lady. I know you work your butt off making all that stuff. You
deserve wots and wots of wibbons! (Sorry, picked that up from Sam being
"cited")

Carol
Old 25-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Puester

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

Wooohooooo!!! Congratulations. Ya done good. Good? H*ll, ya done
fantastico!

First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry Amaretto
Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
shame.

Yabbut, you'll still have to make them for Rob next year, won't you?

It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.
-Barb

Not bad being me, but I bet it's better being you! ;-)

gloria p
Old 25-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Charles Gifford

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

SNIP

Congratulations Barb! Well done Sweetie. I shall once again endeavor to not
feel inadequate.

Charlie

Old 25-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Victor Sack

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry Amaretto
Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
shame.

First place ribbon for baking was for Boy Brownies!!

*Just* four first place ribbons (which were black this year, anyway)?!
It is a terrible disappointment and, for obvious reasons, a great shame,
though not a surprise, of course. I know how you *really* feel, Barb, I
know... but no need to get suicidal - there is always next year and I
have an inkling that beets will be particularly good in time for the
Fair!

There... there... don't cry, Sweetie! Have a spoonful of Barb's Beety
Beauty...

Bubba
Old 25-08-2005, 11:08 PM
jake

Congratualtions, that is a *lot* of prizes.
Old 25-08-2005, 11:11 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article , Andy Q
wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

I know they're going to want the recipe. Trouble is I
didn't have much of a recipe -- I made it up as I went along.

Congrats on the ribbons, but about "I made it up as I went along."...
shame, shame, shame!

Why don't you leave a tape recorder

It seems so shallow and self-serving.

on so you can speak your ingredients
so if it turns into a hit, which it seems you do quite naturally, you
can present the TV audience a recipe.

Picture Beethoven just humming... da-da-da_DAH...

All the best,

Andy

LOL! I know what went into them; just gotta remember how much. And you
can't exactly measure frosting ingredients, anyway. And a consultation
with Favorite Niece Sandra affirmed my belief that I may hold back the
Secret. "-) So maybe they won't get the WHOLE truth! "-)
--
-Barb, http://www.jamlady.eboard.com Several notes since 8/18/05