Melba's Jammin'

Default The 10th Annual Schaller State Fair Ribbon Report - The Queen is Dead! Long live the Queen! - But Life Ain't Bad (Long)

The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry Amaretto
Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
shame.

First place ribbon for baking was for Boy Brownies!! Oh, yeah! The
Chocolate Cherry Amaretto Brownies. I'm doing a tv appearance on
Saturday morning (KARE-11 for you Meen-a-soh-tans) at about 9:40 a.m.
pitching my Gedney State Fair Cherry Jam (an ingredient in the winning
brownies) and I know they're going to want the recipe. Trouble is I
didn't have much of a recipe -- I made it up as I went along. Guess
IBeBaking tonight or tomorrow to figure something out for them. I'll be
giving them a recipe for Cherry Chipotle Relish that they'll post on
their website. Gotta get that one made up, too. . . . I really should
learn to measure when I cook.

No other baking ribbons - go figure. Competition's getting tougher.
'Sokay. Oh cripes, I almost forgot: I was awarded 3rd place for the
Sweepstakes award for the Cookies -- that means the fine judges decided
my CCAB were the third best of all the freakin' cookie lots. I'm
pleased. There's no money in it for me and it doesn't show on the
online results info, either.

Other placings for canned goods were second place for Nectarine Jam;
third place for Plum Jelly, Cherry-Peach Jelly, Cherry Jelly, and Corn
Relish; fourth place for Apricot Butter (hisss-s-s-s-s); and fifth place
for Blackberry Jam.

I only took a few lousy pictures - the one of the brownies will be on my
website in a trice. And I *forgot* to go stand in front of my B&Bs and
accost innocent bystanders to tell them that those are MY pickles!
Good thing I'm going again. Modesty doesn't become me.

I took the first express bus to the Fairgrounds at 8:00 a.m. and was on
the 1:00 p.m. bus returning home. My dogs are barking. I'll go back on
Saturday morning for that tv thang and a two-hour stint in the Gedney
booth pitching my jams. (Catch the plural?) I'll go again for a 20-30
minute (!!) radio thing on KSTP-1500 with Joe Soucheray at 3:00 p.m. on
Friday, September 2; and La Twerp and her Female Parental Unit, Grandpa,
and Babi will go again on September 3. It will be Sam's first trip to
the Fair and She So 'Cited! "Rides? Animals, too?" I haven't seen her
in more than a month. I don't like that. I don't like that one
stinkin' bit.

It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.
-Barb
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05
Ophelia

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.

I never expected anything less Barb))))))))))

WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love

O xx

The Joneses

Ophelia wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.

> I never expected anything less BarbWELL DONE!love O xx

Ditto.
Edrena, off to family for a coupla weeks.

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 25 Aug 2005 12:55:21p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
> the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

This is not *news*! It is yet another repeat of an annual event which we've
all come to expect.

What would have been news, is if you hand't won anything. Perish the
thought, 'cause that would never happen.

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> On Thu 25 Aug 2005 12:55:21p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in
> rec.food.preserving:
>
> > The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1
> > of
> > the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

> This is not *news*! It is yet another repeat of an annual event which
> we've
> all come to expect.
>
> What would have been news, is if you hand't won anything. Perish the
> thought, 'cause that would never happen.
>
> C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!!

Thank you, Wayne. I was in line for the bus and talking to a friend on
the phone - I had her checking the results online (they weren't up yet
while I was still at home) and as soon as she said I had a blue ribbon
for the blackberry jelly, I stopped her. I could hold my head up. "-)
I've no doubt the day will come when I don't win diddly. There are lot
of new canners and exhibitors, I think -- many of the prizewinners'
names were unfamiliar to me. Good on them!
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05

Melba's Jammin'

In article > , "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.

> I never expected anything less Barb))))))))))
>
> WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> love
>
> O xx

Thank you, Ophelia. I had higher hope for the Apricot Butter, based on
how much of it they ATE! Same with the Raspberry Jelly. Oh, well.
It's a fun time -- maybe next year I'll work behind the scenes instead
of competing. I think it would be a hoot!
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, The Joneses
> wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
>
> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > > It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.

> > I never expected anything less BarbWELL DONE!love O xx

> Ditto.
> Edrena, off to family for a coupla weeks.

Don't forget your wings. "-)
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05
Joyce

> On Thu 25 Aug 2005 12:55:21p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in
> rec.food.preserving:
>
> > The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1
> > of
> > the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

Good for you Barb! No matter how many new faces there are in the
competition your experience and talent will always find you among the
winners I'm sure.

Joyce

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 25 Aug 2005 01:49:46p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thu 25 Aug 2005 12:55:21p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in
>> rec.food.preserving:
>>
>> > The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1
>> > of the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

>> This is not *news*! It is yet another repeat of an annual event which
>> we've all come to expect.
>>
>> What would have been news, is if you hand't won anything. Perish the
>> thought, 'cause that would never happen.
>>
>> C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!!

> Thank you, Wayne. I was in line for the bus and talking to a friend on
> the phone - I had her checking the results online (they weren't up yet
> while I was still at home) and as soon as she said I had a blue ribbon
> for the blackberry jelly, I stopped her. I could hold my head up. "-)
> I've no doubt the day will come when I don't win diddly. There are lot
> of new canners and exhibitors, I think -- many of the prizewinners'
> names were unfamiliar to me. Good on them!

Barb, I'm happy for the other winners, of course, but I can't see the day
that you're efforts will go unwarded. We're all very proud of you!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Kathi Jones

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
> the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.
>
> First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry Amaretto
> Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
> Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
> allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
> shame.
>
> First place ribbon for baking was for Boy Brownies!! Oh, yeah! The
> Chocolate Cherry Amaretto Brownies. I'm doing a tv appearance on
> Saturday morning (KARE-11 for you Meen-a-soh-tans) at about 9:40 a.m.
> pitching my Gedney State Fair Cherry Jam (an ingredient in the winning
> brownies) and I know they're going to want the recipe. Trouble is I
> didn't have much of a recipe -- I made it up as I went along. Guess
> IBeBaking tonight or tomorrow to figure something out for them. I'll be
> giving them a recipe for Cherry Chipotle Relish that they'll post on
> their website. Gotta get that one made up, too. . . . I really should
> learn to measure when I cook.
>
> No other baking ribbons - go figure. Competition's getting tougher.
> 'Sokay. Oh cripes, I almost forgot: I was awarded 3rd place for the
> Sweepstakes award for the Cookies -- that means the fine judges decided
> my CCAB were the third best of all the freakin' cookie lots. I'm
> pleased. There's no money in it for me and it doesn't show on the
> online results info, either.
>
> Other placings for canned goods were second place for Nectarine Jam;
> third place for Plum Jelly, Cherry-Peach Jelly, Cherry Jelly, and Corn
> Relish; fourth place for Apricot Butter (hisss-s-s-s-s); and fifth place
> for Blackberry Jam.
>
> I only took a few lousy pictures - the one of the brownies will be on my
> website in a trice. And I *forgot* to go stand in front of my B&Bs and
> accost innocent bystanders to tell them that those are MY pickles!
> Good thing I'm going again. Modesty doesn't become me.
>
> I took the first express bus to the Fairgrounds at 8:00 a.m. and was on
> the 1:00 p.m. bus returning home. My dogs are barking. I'll go back on
> Saturday morning for that tv thang and a two-hour stint in the Gedney
> booth pitching my jams. (Catch the plural?) I'll go again for a 20-30
> minute (!!) radio thing on KSTP-1500 with Joe Soucheray at 3:00 p.m. on
> Friday, September 2; and La Twerp and her Female Parental Unit, Grandpa,
> and Babi will go again on September 3. It will be Sam's first trip to
> the Fair and She So 'Cited! "Rides? Animals, too?" I haven't seen her
> in more than a month. I don't like that. I don't like that one
> stinkin' bit.
>
> It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.
> -Barb
> --
> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05

way to go, Barb! You? not win? Ha, never - and look how famous it's made
you!

Kathi

Troy Lubbers

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> (a whole lot about the fair)
>
> I took the first express bus to the Fairgrounds at 8:00 a.m. and was on
> the 1:00 p.m. bus returning home. My dogs are barking. I'll go back on
> Saturday morning for that tv thang and a two-hour stint in the Gedney
> booth pitching my jams. (Catch the plural?) I'll go again for a 20-30
> minute (!!) radio thing on KSTP-1500 with Joe Soucheray at 3:00 p.m. on
> Friday, September 2; and La Twerp and her Female Parental Unit, Grandpa,
> and Babi will go again on September 3. It will be Sam's first trip to
> the Fair and She So 'Cited! "Rides? Animals, too?" I haven't seen her
> in more than a month. I don't like that. I don't like that one
> stinkin' bit.
>
> It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.
> -Barb

I was there yesterday afternoon, saw your winning B&B's, jams, jellies,
etc... Was the first time I was looking for a name I knew at one of
these things. Was wondering if I might run into you at the Gedney booth
or by the displays or anything.. guess my timing was just off.

I'll have to make sure to tune in your pieces on KARE and KSTP. Thanks
for the heads up.

Troy
Melba's Jammin'

In article t>, Troy
Lubbers > wrote:

> I was there yesterday afternoon, saw your winning B&B's, jams, jellies,
> etc... Was the first time I was looking for a name I knew at one of
> these things. Was wondering if I might run into you at the Gedney booth
> or by the displays or anything.. guess my timing was just off.
>
> I'll have to make sure to tune in your pieces on KARE and KSTP. Thanks
> for the heads up.
>
> Troy

Hey!! Long time no see!! Sorry I missed you, Troy; I was there around
9:30 or 10:00. How are your canning adventures? I'm really tickled
about the KSTP gig -- I'll have more than 2-3 minutes.
I've just taken the brownies for the KARE-11 thing out of the oven.
They're lookin' good. I've posted the recipes on my website -- and you
may also find them on the KARE-11 website somewhere. Greet your wife
for me, too, Troy. Peace. (Do not auto reply: mail to my name with a
dot between first and last, at Earthblinkdot net (correct the spelling
and the format -- geez I hate to do this, but the spam is wicked)
-Barb Schaller
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Kathi Jones"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

(snippage)

> > I took the first express bus to the Fairgrounds at 8:00 a.m. and was on
> > the 1:00 p.m. bus returning home. My dogs are barking. I'll go back on
> > Saturday morning for that tv thang and a two-hour stint in the Gedney
> > booth pitching my jams. (Catch the plural?) I'll go again for a 20-30
> > minute (!!) radio thing on KSTP-1500 with Joe Soucheray at 3:00 p.m. on
> > Friday, September 2; and La Twerp and her Female Parental Unit, Grandpa,
> > and Babi will go again on September 3. It will be Sam's first trip to
> > the Fair and She So 'Cited! "Rides? Animals, too?" I haven't seen her
> > in more than a month. I don't like that. I don't like that one
> > stinkin' bit.
> >
> > It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.
> > -Barb
> > --
> > -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05

> way to go, Barb! You? not win? Ha, never - and look how famous it's made
> you!
>
> Kathi

Heh! Famous is nothing and often overrated. Fun and being of some help
to others are the important parts -- and rich wouldn't be bad, either.
Thanks, Kathi.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05
zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
> the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.
>
> First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry Amaretto
> Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
> Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
> allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
> shame.
>
> First place ribbon for baking was for Boy Brownies!! Oh, yeah! The
> Chocolate Cherry Amaretto Brownies. I'm doing a tv appearance on
> Saturday morning (KARE-11 for you Meen-a-soh-tans) at about 9:40 a.m.
> pitching my Gedney State Fair Cherry Jam (an ingredient in the winning
> brownies) and I know they're going to want the recipe. Trouble is I
> didn't have much of a recipe -- I made it up as I went along. Guess
> IBeBaking tonight or tomorrow to figure something out for them. I'll be
> giving them a recipe for Cherry Chipotle Relish that they'll post on
> their website. Gotta get that one made up, too. . . . I really should
> learn to measure when I cook.
>
> No other baking ribbons - go figure. Competition's getting tougher.
> 'Sokay. Oh cripes, I almost forgot: I was awarded 3rd place for the
> Sweepstakes award for the Cookies -- that means the fine judges decided
> my CCAB were the third best of all the freakin' cookie lots. I'm
> pleased. There's no money in it for me and it doesn't show on the
> online results info, either.
>
> Other placings for canned goods were second place for Nectarine Jam;
> third place for Plum Jelly, Cherry-Peach Jelly, Cherry Jelly, and Corn
> Relish; fourth place for Apricot Butter (hisss-s-s-s-s); and fifth place
> for Blackberry Jam.

Good job! Congratulations. And maybe now I can compete in the Bread &
Butter pickles next year... ;-)

-Bob
Melba's Jammin'

> Good job! Congratulations. And maybe now I can compete in the Bread &
> Butter pickles next year... ;-)
>
> -Bob

Hit it, Louie! I'm off that lot for two years.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,
including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe

Anny Middon

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
> the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.

Congratulations, Barb -- although I'm not in the least surprised. You're
not winning a number of ribbons would have shocked me.

Anny

sojourn

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> The good news: I placed in 10 of the 20 canning lots I entered and 1 of
> the 3 baking lots. There really isn't any *bad* news.
>
> First place ribbons (canning) were for Blackberry Jelly, Cherry Amaretto
> Jam, and Bread & Butter Pickles (Yesss-s-s-s-!!). Winning the Bread &
> Butter lot for the third consecutive year means that I will not be
> allowed to compete in that lot for two years. (*^;^*) Ain't that a
> shame.
>
> First place ribbon for baking was for Boy Brownies!! Oh, yeah! The
> Chocolate Cherry Amaretto Brownies. I'm doing a tv appearance on
> Saturday morning (KARE-11 for you Meen-a-soh-tans) at about 9:40 a.m.
> pitching my Gedney State Fair Cherry Jam (an ingredient in the winning
> brownies) and I know they're going to want the recipe. Trouble is I
> didn't have much of a recipe -- I made it up as I went along. Guess
> IBeBaking tonight or tomorrow to figure something out for them. I'll be
> giving them a recipe for Cherry Chipotle Relish that they'll post on
> their website. Gotta get that one made up, too. . . . I really should
> learn to measure when I cook.
>
> No other baking ribbons - go figure. Competition's getting tougher.
> 'Sokay. Oh cripes, I almost forgot: I was awarded 3rd place for the
> Sweepstakes award for the Cookies -- that means the fine judges decided
> my CCAB were the third best of all the freakin' cookie lots. I'm
> pleased. There's no money in it for me and it doesn't show on the
> online results info, either.
>
> Other placings for canned goods were second place for Nectarine Jam;
> third place for Plum Jelly, Cherry-Peach Jelly, Cherry Jelly, and Corn
> Relish; fourth place for Apricot Butter (hisss-s-s-s-s); and fifth place
> for Blackberry Jam.
>
> I only took a few lousy pictures - the one of the brownies will be on my
> website in a trice. And I *forgot* to go stand in front of my B&Bs and
> accost innocent bystanders to tell them that those are MY pickles!
> Good thing I'm going again. Modesty doesn't become me.
>
> I took the first express bus to the Fairgrounds at 8:00 a.m. and was on
> the 1:00 p.m. bus returning home. My dogs are barking. I'll go back on
> Saturday morning for that tv thang and a two-hour stint in the Gedney
> booth pitching my jams. (Catch the plural?) I'll go again for a 20-30
> minute (!!) radio thing on KSTP-1500 with Joe Soucheray at 3:00 p.m. on
> Friday, September 2; and La Twerp and her Female Parental Unit, Grandpa,
> and Babi will go again on September 3. It will be Sam's first trip to
> the Fair and She So 'Cited! "Rides? Animals, too?" I haven't seen her
> in more than a month. I don't like that. I don't like that one
> stinkin' bit.
>
> It's good to be me. I hope it's not bad being you.
> -Barb
> --
> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05

Excellent! Congratulations!!