Ruddell

Default How long does it last?

I made salmon sandwiches Friday night and still have some salmon/mayo/
onion mixed up in the fridge...covered. How long is this good before
going bad?

--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply
Edwin Pawlowski

"Ruddell" > wrote in message

> I made salmon sandwiches Friday night and still have some salmon/mayo/
> onion mixed up in the fridge...covered. How long is this good before
> going bad?

48 hours should be no problem. After that I'd be a little leery.

The Ranger

Ruddell > wrote in message
> I made salmon sandwiches Friday night and still have some
> salmon/mayo/onion mixed up in the fridge...covered. How
> long is this good before going bad?

The Nose Rule and 3-Day Rule have always worked for my family. If you
can smell[1] it, don't eat it. If it's been over three days since you
made it, toss it.

The Ranger

[1] "Smell" in this instance means offensive; nose-crinkling,
eye-burning, methane-based, and musty.

Peter Aitken

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Ruddell" > wrote in message
>>
>> I made salmon sandwiches Friday night and still have some salmon/mayo/
>> onion mixed up in the fridge...covered. How long is this good before
>> going bad?
>>

> 48 hours should be no problem. After that I'd be a little leery.

Seems awfully short. If you are thinking that the mayo makes it more prone
to spolage, that's false. Commercial mayo actually retards spoilage because
it is acidic.

--
Peter Aitken

Sheldon

The Ranger wrote:
> Ruddell > wrote in message
> > I made salmon sandwiches Friday night and still have some
> > salmon/mayo/onion mixed up in the fridge...covered. How
> > long is this good before going bad?

> The Nose Rule and 3-Day Rule have always worked for my family. If you
> can smell[1] it, don't eat it. If it's been over three days since you
> made it, toss it.

What do you expect to smell besides FISH & ONIONS! Salmon salad would
need to be in the fridge a whole lot longer than three days before the
human nose would detect spoilage. I'd save it no more than two days,
but if it has raw onion mixed in I'd not save it more than 24 hours...
even if it's not spoiled (and probably won't be) it'll still smell
awful. Nothing turns me off more than the stench of raw onion been cut
more than an hour or so ago... I never save cut raw onion, I use it
all, any part not used goes directly into the composter. When I buy
onions I choose a variety of sizes... I choose a goodly portion that
are smaller than golf balls.

Sheldon

aem

Ruddell wrote:
> I made salmon sandwiches Friday night and still have some
> salmon/mayo/onion mixed up in the fridge...covered. How
> long is this good before going bad?

Add a few drops of red hot sauce and some chopped dill to it. Get out
some crackers, invite somebody over for whatever is on Sunday afternoon
television, and you'll be rid of it. -aem

Ruddell

In .com> aem wrote:
> Ruddell wrote:
>> I made salmon sandwiches Friday night and still have some
>> salmon/mayo/onion mixed up in the fridge...covered. How
>> long is this good before going bad?
>>

> Add a few drops of red hot sauce and some chopped dill to it. Get out
> some crackers, invite somebody over for whatever is on Sunday
> afternoon television, and you'll be rid of it. -aem

Hey, that's a good idea for next time as I think I'm going out for the
afternoon. But I'm sure I'll try that anyway and not likely as a
leftover...

--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply
The Ranger

Sheldon > wrote in message
ups.com...
> The Ranger wrote:
> > Ruddell > wrote in message
> > > I made salmon sandwiches Friday night and still have some
> > > salmon/mayo/onion mixed up in the fridge...covered. How
> > > long is this good before going bad?
> > >

> > The Nose Rule and 3-Day Rule have always worked for my
> > family. If you can smell[1] it, don't eat it. If it's been over
> > three days since you made it, toss it.
> >

> What do you expect to smell besides FISH & ONIONS!
> Salmon salad would need to be in the fridge a whole lot longer
> than three days before the human nose would detect spoilage.

If the stench is so strong as to prevent me from eating, I'd say that it
fails the Nose Test. And 3-days of sliced, raw onions (to me) will be
overpowering.

The Ranger

Sheldon

The Ranger wrote:
> Sheldon > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > The Ranger wrote:
> > > >
> > > The Nose Rule and 3-Day Rule have always worked for my
> > > family. If you can smell[1] it, don't eat it. If it's been over
> > > three days since you made it, toss it.
> > >

> > What do you expect to smell besides FISH & ONIONS!
> > Salmon salad would need to be in the fridge a whole lot longer
> > than three days before the human nose would detect spoilage.

> If the stench is so strong as to prevent me from eating, I'd say that

it
> fails the Nose Test. And 3-days of sliced, raw onions (to me) will be

Yup, that's exactly what the second half of my post explained about
onions, until you snipped it off... what the **** is the matter with
yoose assholes, yoose think somehow if you redacted a post the snipped
portion becomes like um, *uninstalled*... **** no.. my full post is
still right there. The Ranger is just another slimey smarmy STUPID
*******.. the only thing about his nose is every time his fingers touch
a keyboard it GROWS! Sheesh!

Sheldon

The Ranger

Sheldon > brayed yet again in message
oups.com...
[snip usual mulishness]

I expected nothing less from your supreme lack of imagination. You'll
continue your obnoxious bawling long after so there's no reason to
continue from my end.

Katra

In article >,
"Peter Aitken" > wrote:

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> > "Ruddell" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> I made salmon sandwiches Friday night and still have some salmon/mayo/
> >> onion mixed up in the fridge...covered. How long is this good before
> >> going bad?
> >>

> > 48 hours should be no problem. After that I'd be a little leery.
> >

> Seems awfully short. If you are thinking that the mayo makes it more prone
> to spolage, that's false. Commercial mayo actually retards spoilage because
> it is acidic.

To me it's not the mayo, it's the fish...
Fish spoils pretty quick. Well covered, I'd not keep a fish salad around
for more than 3 days. Chicken salad, maybe 5 days.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Katra

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> The Ranger wrote:
> > Ruddell > wrote in message
> > > I made salmon sandwiches Friday night and still have some
> > > salmon/mayo/onion mixed up in the fridge...covered. How
> > > long is this good before going bad?

> > The Nose Rule and 3-Day Rule have always worked for my family. If you
> > can smell[1] it, don't eat it. If it's been over three days since you
> > made it, toss it.

> What do you expect to smell besides FISH & ONIONS! Salmon salad would
> need to be in the fridge a whole lot longer than three days before the
> human nose would detect spoilage. I'd save it no more than two days,
> but if it has raw onion mixed in I'd not save it more than 24 hours...
> even if it's not spoiled (and probably won't be) it'll still smell
> awful. Nothing turns me off more than the stench of raw onion been cut
> more than an hour or so ago... I never save cut raw onion, I use it
> all, any part not used goes directly into the composter. When I buy
> onions I choose a variety of sizes... I choose a goodly portion that
> are smaller than golf balls.
>
> Sheldon

Ew!

I'd NEVER put raw minced onion in a meat salad!
The flavor is too overwhelming...
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Sheldon

Katra wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> > The Ranger wrote:
> > >
> > > The Nose Rule and 3-Day Rule have always worked for my family. If

you
> > > can smell[1] it, don't eat it. If it's been over three days since

you
> > > made it, toss it.

> > What do you expect to smell besides FISH & ONIONS! Salmon salad

would
> > need to be in the fridge a whole lot longer than three days before

the
> > human nose would detect spoilage. I'd save it no more than two

days,
> > but if it has raw onion mixed in I'd not save it more than 24

hours...
> > even if it's not spoiled (and probably won't be) it'll still smell
> > awful. Nothing turns me off more than the stench of raw onion been

cut
> > more than an hour or so ago... I never save cut raw onion, I use it
> > all, any part not used goes directly into the composter. When I

buy
> > onions I choose a variety of sizes... I choose a goodly portion

that
> > are smaller than golf balls.
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> Ew!
>
> I'd NEVER put raw minced onion in a meat salad!
> The flavor is too overwhelming...

Which flavor is too overwhelming, the meat or the salad? Perhaps you
just don't like raw onions, regardless. Diced onion goes perfectly in
tuna salad. And I've never heard anyone describe the flavor of canned
tuna as mild... but then again, mea culpa, I didn't consider those who
subsist primarily on ripe n' rank roadkill. hehe

Sheldon

djs0302

Ruddell wrote:
> I made salmon sandwiches Friday night and still have some

salmon/mayo/
> onion mixed up in the fridge...covered. How long is this good before

> going bad?
>

> --
> Cheers
>
> Dennis
>
> Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply

Well the deli I go to has a policy of giving any salad that's made
there on the premises a 5 day shelf life. This is assuming that proper
storing and sanitation techniques have been followed. The Board of
Health gave them an A rating so I'm assuming they're doing everything
right.

The 10th Annual Schaller State Fair Ribbon Report - The Queen is Dead! Long live the Queen! - But Life Ain't Bad (Long) Melba's Jammin' Preserving 16 01-09-2005 06:33 PM
The 10th Annual Schaller State Fair Ribbon Report - The Queen is Dead! Long live the Queen! - But Life Ain't Bad (Long) Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 50 28-08-2005 02:07 AM
How long at the bar? Musashi Sushi 63 12-11-2004 10:04 PM
Maybe I should say "So long" frohe Barbecue 45 23-05-2004 06:37 AM
In the long run Fanny Pack Barbecue 2 24-03-2004 01:23 PM