V. Stafford

Default is this normal?

Last weekend, I had a disgusting sushi dining experience. We went to Ino
Sushi in Japantown in San Francisco where we had been three times previously
and had been quite impressed. This time, in making two inside-out rolls,
the chef rolled the rice and seaweed up, and then, instead of covering the
roll with the sushi mat and squeezing, he covered it first with the dirty
rag he had been using to wipe the counter and his hands, and then squeezed
the sushi mat over that, pressing the grime from the rag into the rice. We
lost our appetite, paid, and left, and will never go back. Has anyone else
ever seen this practice of squeezing the sushi with the rag?

D. Lutjen

"V. Stafford" > wrote in message
om...

> Last weekend, I had a disgusting sushi dining experience. We went to Ino
> Sushi in Japantown in San Francisco where we had been three times

previously
> and had been quite impressed. This time, in making two inside-out rolls,
> the chef rolled the rice and seaweed up, and then, instead of covering the
> roll with the sushi mat and squeezing, he covered it first with the dirty
> rag he had been using to wipe the counter and his hands, and then squeezed
> the sushi mat over that, pressing the grime from the rag into the rice.

We
> lost our appetite, paid, and left, and will never go back. Has anyone

else
> ever seen this practice of squeezing the sushi with the rag?

Please take a few minutes and touch base with whatever government agency in
San Francisco is charged with food safety/restaurant inspections. They will
be interested in what you have to say.

Gerry

In article >, D. Lutjen
> wrote:

> Please take a few minutes and touch base with whatever government agency in
> San Francisco is charged with food safety/restaurant inspections. They will
> be interested in what you have to say.

This story seems completely preposterous--you'd think if they were out
of plastic wrap they could send somebody to a local convenience store.
My experience with almost all Japanese sushi chefs would have me
believing that the chef might have used *A* counter cloth, but not the
one he was currently using for clean-up. Just a guess. It's not like
a chef who is knowledgeable of the trade would intentionally be rolling
sushi in a garbage bag.

But this does make me ponder David's response, as on occasion I've had
difficulties of other kinds. Can anyone tell me precisely who one
would call in the event of seeing truly outrageous behavior at a
restaurant?

--
///--- Vote for the richest Republican. He understand the common man.
Dan Logcher

Gerry wrote:

> In article >, D. Lutjen
> > wrote:
>

>>Please take a few minutes and touch base with whatever government agency in
>>San Francisco is charged with food safety/restaurant inspections. They will
>>be interested in what you have to say.
>>

> This story seems completely preposterous--you'd think if they were out
> of plastic wrap they could send somebody to a local convenience store.
> My experience with almost all Japanese sushi chefs would have me
> believing that the chef might have used *A* counter cloth, but not the
> one he was currently using for clean-up. Just a guess. It's not like
> a chef who is knowledgeable of the trade would intentionally be rolling
> sushi in a garbage bag.
>
> But this does make me ponder David's response, as on occasion I've had
> difficulties of other kinds. Can anyone tell me precisely who one
> would call in the event of seeing truly outrageous behavior at a
> restaurant?

I think David's response will bring about the truth of the matter.
If the story is false, the poster will not be calling the health
dept. If it is, then they should be called and inspect the sanitary
conditions of the restaurant.

You should call the health inspector.

--
Dan

D. Lutjen

"Gerry" > wrote in message
d...
> In article >, D. Lutjen
> > wrote:
>
> > Please take a few minutes and touch base with whatever government agency

in
> > San Francisco is charged with food safety/restaurant inspections. They

will
> > be interested in what you have to say.

> This story seems completely preposterous--you'd think if they were out
> of plastic wrap they could send somebody to a local convenience store.
> My experience with almost all Japanese sushi chefs would have me
> believing that the chef might have used *A* counter cloth, but not the
> one he was currently using for clean-up. Just a guess. It's not like
> a chef who is knowledgeable of the trade would intentionally be rolling
> sushi in a garbage bag.
>
> But this does make me ponder David's response, as on occasion I've had
> difficulties of other kinds. Can anyone tell me precisely who one
> would call in the event of seeing truly outrageous behavior at a
> restaurant?

I would first look at city/county government listings. Not sure where you
are but in Oregon, restaurant health/safety rules are administered by the
Health Division. However, actual inspections are made by the health
departments of the various counties. To make it more confusing, rules
businesses dealing with food other than restaurants (like our fish/seafood
retail store) are handled by the Food Safety Division of the Oregon Dept. of
Agriculture.

V. Stafford

Thanks for the feedback that this is not some new roll-making technique.
I would not hurt the reputation of this place, which we had previously been
impressed with, if my husband and I had not seen this with our very eyes. I
had not seen him do anything unusual before. This time when I saw him make
the roll with a dirty rag, and I thought I saw a white thread on the roll,
I pointed it out to my husband and we started tracking the rag to see
whether he was using it only for the rolls. That is when we saw him wipe the
counter and his hands with it, make some nigiri, and then use the same rag
when we ordered the next roll, which we did not eat. I am very finicky
about sushi restaurant hygiene, and have a problem with sushi chefs who
don't wash their hands but just wipe their hands on the dirty rag, so eating
the dirty rag was over the top for me.
If something good came out of this, it is that I found that the San
Francisco Department of Public Health has a great online database of all the
San Francisco restaurants with results of current and past inspections,
including any violations and of what kind at:
http://www.dph.sf.ca.us/ehs/Viol_DB/Index_viol.asp. Ino passed the last
inspection, and I am certain he didn't do this on the previous occasions
were were there, but that may not be his only unsanitary practice, so I
think I will give them a call.

Vicky

"D. Lutjen" > wrote in message
news

> "Gerry" > wrote in message
> d...
> > In article >, D. Lutjen
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Please take a few minutes and touch base with whatever government

agency
> in
> > > San Francisco is charged with food safety/restaurant inspections.

They
> will
> > > be interested in what you have to say.

> > This story seems completely preposterous--you'd think if they were out
> > of plastic wrap they could send somebody to a local convenience store.
> > My experience with almost all Japanese sushi chefs would have me
> > believing that the chef might have used *A* counter cloth, but not the
> > one he was currently using for clean-up. Just a guess. It's not like
> > a chef who is knowledgeable of the trade would intentionally be rolling
> > sushi in a garbage bag.
> >
> > But this does make me ponder David's response, as on occasion I've had
> > difficulties of other kinds. Can anyone tell me precisely who one
> > would call in the event of seeing truly outrageous behavior at a
> > restaurant?

> I would first look at city/county government listings. Not sure where you
> are but in Oregon, restaurant health/safety rules are administered by the
> Health Division. However, actual inspections are made by the health
> departments of the various counties. To make it more confusing, rules
> businesses dealing with food other than restaurants (like our fish/seafood
> retail store) are handled by the Food Safety Division of the Oregon Dept.

of
> Agriculture.

Gerry

In article > , V.
Stafford > wrote:

> That is when we saw him wipe the
> counter and his hands with it, make some nigiri, and then use the same rag
> when we ordered the next roll, which we did not eat. I am very finicky
> about sushi restaurant hygiene, and have a problem with sushi chefs who
> don't wash their hands but just wipe their hands on the dirty rag, so eating
> the dirty rag was over the top for me.

I'm finnicky too, have eaten in places to which I wouldn't return, and
have never seen anything remotely like this. I'm not suggesting it for
you, but me--I WOULD go back, order a roll, and then ask him just what
the hell he thought he was doing. Cause a scene, make them kick me
out, and hopefully have an effect. But then I'm a crusader. :-)

> If something good came out of this, it is that I found that the San
> Francisco Department of Public Health has a great online database of all the
> San Francisco restaurants with results of current and past inspections,
> including any violations and of what kind at:
> http://www.dph.sf.ca.us/ehs/Viol_DB/Index_viol.asp. Ino passed the last
> inspection, and I am certain he didn't do this on the previous occasions
> were were there, but that may not be his only unsanitary practice, so I
> think I will give them a call.

I don't imagine that the Public Health Dept. watches their techniques
in preparing their food. They inspect the facility but could hardly be
called upon to monitor the process in this way. It's like folks who
want to spit in the stew--what can you do? If you've identified it for
sure, then proclaim it and let it go at that.

What I don't get is WHY someone would do something so unsanitary, when
there's no reason for it except to be unsanitary. How much do you save
in plastic wrap?

As for public departments not having a clue: Damn near every Japanese
joint (serving Japanese folk) in this area serves sho-chu, sprits
derived from rice. This is not wine or beer, but more or less the
equivalent of vodka. They serve it in 4 or 5 different configurations,
advertise in on posters/signs and on the menu. This is against the
law! They are not licensed to sell spirits, only beer/wine licenses.
Apparently the local officials haven't a clue and think it's all sake.

--
///--- Vote for the richest Republican. He understand the common man.
Dan Logcher

Gerry wrote:

> In article > , V.
> Stafford > wrote:
>

>>That is when we saw him wipe the
>>counter and his hands with it, make some nigiri, and then use the same rag
>>when we ordered the next roll, which we did not eat. I am very finicky
>>about sushi restaurant hygiene, and have a problem with sushi chefs who
>>don't wash their hands but just wipe their hands on the dirty rag, so eating
>>the dirty rag was over the top for me.

> I'm finnicky too, have eaten in places to which I wouldn't return, and
> have never seen anything remotely like this. I'm not suggesting it for
> you, but me--I WOULD go back, order a roll, and then ask him just what
> the hell he thought he was doing. Cause a scene, make them kick me
> out, and hopefully have an effect. But then I'm a crusader. :-)

I think it would be better to talk with the manager, and ask him
what he thinks of this practice.

> I don't imagine that the Public Health Dept. watches their techniques
> in preparing their food. They inspect the facility but could hardly be
> called upon to monitor the process in this way. It's like folks who
> want to spit in the stew--what can you do? If you've identified it for
> sure, then proclaim it and let it go at that.

I'm sure the health dept. would want to know when something like
this occurs. Unsanitary is still unsanitary.

> What I don't get is WHY someone would do something so unsanitary, when
> there's no reason for it except to be unsanitary. How much do you save
> in plastic wrap?

Lack of training. A poorly trained sushi chef won't know this.
A friend of mine stopped going to a local sushi bar after witnessing
the sushi chef cutting up raw chicken on the counter (where he'd make
the sushi). He wiped the space, but I'm sure that didn't remove
much. He was a poorly trained sushi chef, if trained at all.

--
Dan

Gerry

In article >, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> > I WOULD go back, order a roll, and then ask him just what
> > the hell he thought he was doing. Cause a scene, make them kick me
> > out, and hopefully have an effect. But then I'm a crusader. :-)

> I think it would be better to talk with the manager, and ask him
> what he thinks of this practice.

Far wiser.

> > What I don't get is WHY someone would do something so unsanitary, when
> > there's no reason for it except to be unsanitary. How much do you save
> > in plastic wrap?

> Lack of training. A poorly trained sushi chef won't know this.
> A friend of mine stopped going to a local sushi bar after witnessing
> the sushi chef cutting up raw chicken on the counter (where he'd make
> the sushi). He wiped the space, but I'm sure that didn't remove
> much. He was a poorly trained sushi chef, if trained at all.

I guess I'm lucky. I rarely run into anybody in the area that is such
an incompetent as those indicated above. I'm sure they are around, but
more likely move on to rapidly for me to encounter.

May it always be so.

--
///--- Vote for the richest Republican. He understand the common man.
Dan Logcher

Gerry wrote:

> In article >, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>

>>Lack of training. A poorly trained sushi chef won't know this.
>>A friend of mine stopped going to a local sushi bar after witnessing
>>the sushi chef cutting up raw chicken on the counter (where he'd make
>>the sushi). He wiped the space, but I'm sure that didn't remove
>>much. He was a poorly trained sushi chef, if trained at all.

> I guess I'm lucky. I rarely run into anybody in the area that is such
> an incompetent as those indicated above. I'm sure they are around, but
> more likely move on to rapidly for me to encounter.

Could be. The place I mentioned changed owners too, the new family
is Cambodian, and hasn't improved the sushi at all. My home town may
never have a decent sushi bar until I open one myself (which I really
don't want to do).

--
Dan

Musashi

"V. Stafford" > wrote in message
om...
> Last weekend, I had a disgusting sushi dining experience. We went to Ino
> Sushi in Japantown in San Francisco where we had been three times

previously
> and had been quite impressed. This time, in making two inside-out rolls,
> the chef rolled the rice and seaweed up, and then, instead of covering the
> roll with the sushi mat and squeezing, he covered it first with the dirty
> rag he had been using to wipe the counter and his hands, and then squeezed
> the sushi mat over that, pressing the grime from the rag into the rice.

We
> lost our appetite, paid, and left, and will never go back. Has anyone

else
> ever seen this practice of squeezing the sushi with the rag?

I didn't quite get it the first time I read this because I don't order
inside-out rolls, but
yes, a sheet of saran wrap would be used.
I have never seen such a thing as described above and it is absolutely not
acceptable.
Action certainly shgould be taken be it a strong word with the manager or
notifying the
proper health authorities. Is this place Japanese owned and run? Was the
itamae doing this
Japanese?

BillKirch

>Can anyone tell me precisely who one
>would call in the event of seeing truly outrageous behavior at a
>restaurant?

Yesssss.A few years ago, At Tokyo Delve in North Hollywood a very popular
recording industry hangout. It's one of those" let's yell and scream and get
drunk" Sushi places. My wife and I ,had a Chef serve us a plate of something
( I forget) That had a small cochroach on the plate. When the chef saw it, he
reached over and snatched it off the plate...then expected us to eat it. We
have never been back. Besides we had had it with the Asshole behavior in the
place. I like my Japanese food quiet. BG