Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default back to normal (for me, at least)

I've been in NIH grant hell for the last month. The sucker was finally
submitted this week. I'd been promising the SO a ONE TRUE COBBLER® for
a week or so, and finally got to make it last night with what will
probably be the last peaches of the season (alas). I also made scallops
au gratin with panko as part of the crumb topping. Not bad.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:
> I've been in NIH grant hell for the last month. The sucker was finally
> submitted this week. I'd been promising the SO a ONE TRUE COBBLER® for
> a week or so, and finally got to make it last night with what will
> probably be the last peaches of the season (alas). I also made scallops
> au gratin with panko as part of the crumb topping. Not bad.
>
> Cindy

<gasp!> Not with the dreaded panko!
LOL....sorry... you probably haven't read that thread..some misbegotten
notion that panko is a plot by FoodTV to take over the kitchens of the
world....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> LOL....sorry... you probably haven't read that thread..some misbegotten
> notion that panko is a plot by FoodTV to take over the kitchens of the
> world....

The Commie Panko conspiracy?

[RFC readers younger than 50 might not get this one...]

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julian Vrieslander wrote:
> In article >,
> Goomba38 > wrote:
>
>> LOL....sorry... you probably haven't read that thread..some misbegotten
>> notion that panko is a plot by FoodTV to take over the kitchens of the
>> world....

> The Commie Panko conspiracy?
>
> [RFC readers younger than 50 might not get this one...]

Hell, I got it, and I'm one of the younger folks (I think?)

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julian Vrieslander wrote:
> In article >,
> Goomba38 > wrote:
>
>> LOL....sorry... you probably haven't read that thread..some misbegotten
>> notion that panko is a plot by FoodTV to take over the kitchens of the
>> world....

> The Commie Panko conspiracy?
>
> [RFC readers younger than 50 might not get this one...]

Hey wait.. I'm younger than fifty and I got it
Perhaps Sen. McCarthy really wanted to rid the world of panko instead of
Commies...?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Julian Vrieslander wrote:

> In article >,
> Goomba38 > wrote:
>
> > LOL....sorry... you probably haven't read that thread..some misbegotten
> > notion that panko is a plot by FoodTV to take over the kitchens of the
> > world....

> The Commie Panko conspiracy?
>
> [RFC readers younger than 50 might not get this one...]
>
> --
> Julian Vrieslander

DING DING DING! Da Winner! Oh, this one is too funny Thanks for
making me laugh.

Sky, who's still giggling

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article

t>,
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> I've been in NIH grant hell for the last month. The sucker was finally
> submitted this week. I'd been promising the SO a ONE TRUE COBBLER® for
> a week or so, and finally got to make it last night with what will
> probably be the last peaches of the season (alas). I also made scallops
> au gratin with panko as part of the crumb topping. Not bad.
>
> Cindy

Didn't think I'd seen you for a while!! The scallops sound wunnerful.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our first three meals in Tuscany have been posted to
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Cindy Fuller wrote:
>> I've been in NIH grant hell for the last month. The sucker was
>> finally submitted this week. I'd been promising the SO a ONE TRUE
>> COBBLER® for a week or so, and finally got to make it last night
>> with what will probably be the last peaches of the season (alas). I
>> also made scallops au gratin with panko as part of the crumb
>> topping. Not bad.
>>
>> Cindy
>>

> <gasp!> Not with the dreaded panko!
> LOL....sorry... you probably haven't read that thread..some
> misbegotten notion that panko is a plot by FoodTV to take over the
> kitchens of the world....

That is NOT what I said, although apparently it's mentioned frequently on
The Food Network. At least it was when I was in FoodTV hell while taking
care of my brother after his surgery. And panko has been touted as the be
all, end all *here* for years. Maybe what Scott's friend gave him wasn't
really panko. I don't know why he'd lie about it. Whatever the stuff was,
I wasn't impressed. It's as simple as that.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 08:43:07 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>> <gasp!> Not with the dreaded panko!
>> LOL....sorry... you probably haven't read that thread..some
>> misbegotten notion that panko is a plot by FoodTV to take over the
>> kitchens of the world....

>That is NOT what I said, although apparently it's mentioned frequently on
>The Food Network. At least it was when I was in FoodTV hell while taking
>care of my brother after his surgery. And panko has been touted as the be
>all, end all *here* for years. Maybe what Scott's friend gave him wasn't
>really panko. I don't know why he'd lie about it. Whatever the stuff was,
>I wasn't impressed. It's as simple as that.
>
>Jill

I've found that when I'm in a hole it's best to stop digging.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 21:04:09 -0700, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

>I've been in NIH grant hell for the last month. The sucker was finally
>submitted this week. I'd been promising the SO a ONE TRUE COBBLER® for
>a week or so, and finally got to make it last night with what will
>probably be the last peaches of the season (alas).

>I also made scallops au gratin with panko as part of the crumb topping. Not bad.
>
>Cindy

You_will_be hearing from the cabal (tinc)

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/06

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 21:18:47 -0700, Julian Vrieslander
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Goomba38 > wrote:
>
>> LOL....sorry... you probably haven't read that thread..some misbegotten
>> notion that panko is a plot by FoodTV to take over the kitchens of the
>> world....

>The Commie Panko conspiracy?
>
>[RFC readers younger than 50 might not get this one...]

I got it, damn it.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/06

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julian Vrieslander wrote:
> In article >,
> Goomba38 > wrote:
>
>> LOL....sorry... you probably haven't read that thread..some misbegotten
>> notion that panko is a plot by FoodTV to take over the kitchens of the
>> world....

> The Commie Panko conspiracy?
>
> [RFC readers younger than 50 might not get this one...]

Teehee! Oops, that dates me, doesn't it? OK, everyone duck and cover!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 1>,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> Camp Panko! I love it. I wonder if they have tilapia at Camp Panko?

Tilapia fish head soup (cf. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich).

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default PING: Michael "One True Cobbler"

One time on Usenet, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > said:
> Cindy Fuller > dropped this
> -
> sjc.supernews.net: in rec.food.cooking
>
> > I've been in NIH grant hell for the last month. The sucker was finally
> > submitted this week. I'd been promising the SO a ONE TRUE COBBLER® for
> > a week or so, and finally got to make it last night with what will
> > probably be the last peaches of the season (alas). I also made scallops
> > au gratin with panko as part of the crumb topping. Not bad.

Hi Cindy! /me waves

> Oh Gaw... were you writing the grant? Way back I remember what it was like
> when people were writing grants. Mmmmm... The scallops sound delish. Now,
> what is the "ONE TRUE COBBLER"?

I knew I had this someplace, here ya go:

From: Cindy Fuller >
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: THE ONE TRUE COBBLER (was Dinner last night)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 05:09:14 GMT

In article >,
"TammyM" > wrote:

> I googled for it (advanced group search) to no avail. Rats.
> I'll have to
> keep making my untrue cobbler ;-)
> Unless you want to fork it over (the recipe, that is!)

I hate to see folks toil needlessly to make pretenders to THE ONE
TRUE COBBLER. Here is the recipe. It originally appeared in the
June 1997 issue of Southern Living. The recipe is easily cut in
half for small households like ours.

1/2 c. butter
1 c. flour
2 c. sugar, divided
1 T. baking powder
pinch salt
1 c. milk
4 c. sliced peaches or nectarines (nectarines need not be peeled)
1 T. lemon juice
dash cinnamon or nutmeg (optional; I used a little cinnamon)

Preheat oven to 375. Melt butter in 13" x 9" baking dish in oven
while it's heating. Combine flour, 1 c. sugar, baking powder, &
salt; add milk, stirring just until moistened. Pour batter over
melted butter in pan. DO NOT STIR. Bring remaining 1 c. sugar,
peach slices, and lemon juice to boil over high heat, stirring
constantly. Gently fold in raspberries, then pour over batter.
DO NOT STIR. Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg, if used. Bake
40-45 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or cool. Serves
10 in theory, fewer in reality.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

--

http://www.myspace.com/littlemalice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 1>,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> Cindy Fuller > dropped this
> -
> sjc.supernews.net: in rec.food.cooking
>
> > I've been in NIH grant hell for the last month. The sucker was finally
> > submitted this week. I'd been promising the SO a ONE TRUE COBBLER® for
> > a week or so, and finally got to make it last night with what will
> > probably be the last peaches of the season (alas). I also made scallops
> > au gratin with panko as part of the crumb topping. Not bad.
> >
> > Cindy

> Oh Gaw... were you writing the grant? Way back I remember what it was like
> when people were writing grants. Mmmmm... The scallops sound delish. Now,
> what is the "ONE TRUE COBBLER"?
>
> Michael

I've posted the recipe on rfc before. It came out of Southern Living
about 10 years ago. I've tried to make other cobblers, but SO asks why
I should deviate from the ONE TRUE COBBLER® path. It reminds me a bit
of the cobbler the UT Southwestern cafeteria made back in the day.

Yes, I was writing the grant. Nowadays you have to submit the grant
online a week in advance of the deadline rather than FedExing a brick of
paper the night before. The deadline is Tuesday, so we're in good shape.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I hate to see folks toil needlessly to make pretenders to THE ONE
> TRUE COBBLER. Here is the recipe.

The original recipe in Southern Living was not called THE ONE TRUE
COBBLER. Cindy and I chose that name, whilst defending the supremacy
of this recipe against other inferior cobblers cited by misguided
amateurs in RFC.

Also, the original recipe does not have raspberries in it. I think it
works better without the added berries, but Cindy has a weakness for
those little red sugarbombs.

IMHO, the best accoutrement for ONE TRUE COBBLER is a generous scoop of
a high quality vanilla ice cream.

--
Julian Vrieslander