Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default White Tuna

On Jun 28, 2:05 am, wrote:

> That wasn't 3 cups of blood you got when you squooshed your steak.

Yes, it was. I was there. You weren't. What exactly do you think is
the liquid in a raw steak?

Whatever you think, it's blood and fat with a small amount of fiber.

Exactly as I proved to him and have said here.

Please don't contradict someone just to contradict. If you disagree,
then present your argument.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Jun 28, 2:05 am, wrote:
> What does liking raw fish and shellfish, etc. have to do with not
> liking big chunks of cooked congealed blood?

That's an easy question to answer. Eating something such as blood in a
dish is not a usual custom in the USA. To do so would be considered
unusual.

An overwhelming majority of people in the USA don't eat sushi. It's
also considered by the majority as being unusual.

So, the people who do like to eat sushi are performing an act that is
considered unusual by the majority of the population. As would the
people who enjoy eating blood cooked into their foods.

Thus, the two have a common thread.

It's not an absolute of course. I just thought it was interesting that
someone who enjoys eating unusual food such as sushi, in the USA,
would be more inclined to try and perhaps enjoy eating other not-so-
common dishes.

Of course there are individual likes and dislikes Gerry. Anyone with
common sense would know that without having to be told. As a person
who loves sushi, and ALSO loves many other dishes that are uncommon in
the USA, I simply find it interesting that a person who likes sushi
would be perhaps hesitant to try or enjoy other dishes of equal lack
of commonality.

I've only turned away dishes that were either way too spicy for my
enjoyment, or made in a manner that is a health risk that I choose not
to entertain. Sheep's eyes that I tried in a mid-eastern place are on
my list of things not to try again. They just didn't appeal much to me
because of their consistency. The flavor was good though.

I also don't enjoy eating foods that are alive still. I prefer my food
to be dead before I eat it.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Jun 28, 3:47 am, John Doe > wrote:
> On Jun 28, 2:05 am, wrote:
>
> > That wasn't 3 cups of blood you got when you squooshed your steak.

> Yes, it was. I was there. You weren't. What exactly do you think is
> the liquid in a raw steak?
>
> Whatever you think, it's blood and fat with a small amount of fiber.
>
> Exactly as I proved to him and have said here.
>
> Please don't contradict someone just to contradict. If you disagree,
> then present your argument.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Please don't contradict someone just to contradict. If you
disagree..."

I'm not, and I'm not denying that you got three cups of liquid, and I
think it was an interesting experiment that you made. But I think the
fluid you got was fluid from the muscle cells and the connecting
tissue in the meat with a small amount of blood in it.

The human body is over 60% water.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I've got no particular qualms about blood. I've happily eaten bloood
sausage, for instance. I just thought that the bun bo hue soup would
have some liquid blood mixed in the broth, something along those
lines. I didn't expect big chunks of congealed blood floating all
over the thing.

"I also don't enjoy eating foods that are alive still. I prefer my
food
to be dead before I eat it."

If you like to eat raw clams and oysters, they are alive when you eat
them.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Jun 28, 11:30 am, wrote:
> "Please don't contradict someone just to contradict. If you
> disagree..."
>
> I'm not, and I'm not denying that you got three cups of liquid, and I
> think it was an interesting experiment that you made. But I think the
> fluid you got was fluid from the muscle cells and the connecting
> tissue in the meat with a small amount of blood in it.
>
> The human body is over 60% water.

Plasma is widely used in the meat industry. It contains one-third of
the total blood protein (The red blood cells contain the other two-
thirds). In large-scale processing, the edible whole blood is
separated into two parts, plasma (60 - 80%) and red cells (20 - 40%).
The plasma consists mainly of 7.0 - 8.0% protein and 91% water.

The red cells, consist of 34 - 38% protein and 62% water.

You're correct in saying that water is a major portion of the liquid
in beef, however, that water is mearly PART of the blood.

What you're trying to project is the same as if you said "I'm not
drinking water! Two thirds of what I have in this glass is only
Hydrogen!"

The stuff that comes out of a piece of raw beef seperates into two
commonly known substances that through popular usage, are known as
"Blood" and "Fat".

The chemical structures of the two substances is taking this a bit
far, wouldn't you say?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Jun 28, 11:38 am, wrote:

> "I also don't enjoy eating foods that are alive still. I prefer my
> food
> to be dead before I eat it."
>
> If you like to eat raw clams and oysters, they are alive when you eat
> them.

I've tried them on several occasions and find I only like them on the
half shell after they've been chilled on ice until thoroughly cold. I
doubt they're alive at that point, but perhaps so.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-06-28 08:30:43 -0700, said:

> "Please don't contradict someone just to contradict. If you
> disagree..."
>

> I'm not, and I'm not denying that you got three cups of liquid, and I
> think it was an interesting experiment that you made. But I think the
> fluid you got was fluid from the muscle cells and the connecting
> tissue in the meat with a small amount of blood in it.
>
> The human body is over 60% water.

That's nice. If you like the taste or the "appeal" of the product it
doesn't matter if it's made of plumbing supplies. If you don't like
it, it also doesn't matter if it's the "world's finest" or not.

Eat to please your own sensibilities, as they change of over time.
That's not just "fair", it's the only reasonable approach. We eat to
please ourselves (and sometimes our Mother-in-law's sense that she's
not a miserable cook), not to proove anything to anybody.

Many folks didn't like sushi, or were timid, or were a little repulsed
when they were first exposed to it. From my vantage point the
"challenge" aspect is a significant reason for young studs to acquire
the habit to begin with. By the same token, I'm not sure people come
to rabbit, blood sausage, horse, guinea pig, dog, parrot, grilled rat,
or "chunks-o-blood" with any more or less trepidation.

To assume that we are all a blank slate with no pre-conception
involving our categories of "edible food" is silly. On the other hand,
no matter how average a food is, you don't have to like it. There's
every reason to believe some folks wouldn't like monkey brains for the
same reason I don't like calf brains--the texture. Not the "goddam it,
it's a primate" factor.

Admittedly reflexively inserting "barf" after mentioning the item
doesn't exactly paint an unbiased culinary perspective. But to think we
don't have biases? Please.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-06-28 06:08:51 -0700, John Doe > said:

> On Jun 28, 2:05 am, wrote:
>> What does liking raw fish and shellfish, etc. have to do with not
>> liking big chunks of cooked congealed blood?

> That's an easy question to answer. Eating something such as blood in a
> dish is not a usual custom in the USA. To do so would be considered
> unusual.
>
> An overwhelming majority of people in the USA don't eat sushi. It's
> also considered by the majority as being unusual.

To many of those same people it is unavilable, and to another subset it
is too expensive. We're not all middle-class.

> So, the people who do like to eat sushi are performing an act that is
> considered unusual by the majority of the population. As would the
> people who enjoy eating blood cooked into their foods.

To throw the entire populace into the same bucket in order to come up
with a generalized "usual" isn't of much use. "Most" Americans think
aliens have visited Earth. A staggering number believe that wrestling
isn't scripted. My favorite is that, statistically speaking, most
people have both one testicle and one mammary gland: Hey, that's what
you get when you throw everybody into one category to draw conclusions.

Logically when we look at sushi diners we should look at a certain
demographic stripe of race, income, age, urban grouping, education, etc.

> Thus, the two have a common thread.
>
> It's not an absolute of course. I just thought it was interesting that
> someone who enjoys eating unusual food such as sushi, in the USA,
> would be more inclined to try and perhaps enjoy eating other not-so-
> common dishes.
>
> Of course there are individual likes and dislikes Gerry.

Actually, unless I'm mistaken, you're responding to wwerewolf's post
and situation, not mine.

> Anyone with common sense would know that without having to be told. As a person
> who loves sushi, and ALSO loves many other dishes that are uncommon in
> the USA, I simply find it interesting that a person who likes sushi
> would be perhaps hesitant to try or enjoy other dishes of equal lack
> of commonality.

Commonality and common sense aren't what necessarily drive our
appreciation of food. Wwerewolf's primary rationale for disliking the
food was because of taste. He said as much. (Though a couple of years
ago he got irked about dog.) How many here have eaten mountain oysters
(bull testicles) or horse meat? The commonalilty of one variety of
"unusual" doesn't necessarily drive all tastes into a communal
acceptable, right? Just because you enjoy one category of "sodomy"
doesn't mean you like them all... ;-)

> I've only turned away dishes that were either way too spicy for my
> enjoyment, or made in a manner that is a health risk that I choose not
> to entertain. Sheep's eyes that I tried in a mid-eastern place are on
> my list of things not to try again. They just didn't appeal much to me
> because of their consistency. The flavor was good though.

I'm with you. Exactly my perspective. But I must tell you, I can't
divorce my cultural brain from these ideas the first time I encounter
them. At a middle-eastern restaurant where they deep-fry a basket of
whole smelts--jeez I LOVE these things with a cold beer. Took some
friends, open-minded (and as a point of reference, sushi-positive
diners), and they wouldn't eat one. Not even ONE! I simply couldn't
believe it. They said it was the eyes, but in the larger sense I think
it was the idea of eating a whole entity. Anyway, it damned sure
wasn't about the food: they'd have loved them. I begged. I whittled
the head of one. I carefully "filleted" another. But to no avail--they
had already SEEN the fish. It was funny.

> I also don't enjoy eating foods that are alive still. I prefer my food
> to be dead before I eat it.

Ah! We all have cultural limitations. How about chapulines, cooked
grasshoppers in the Oaxacan tradition? We have a number of local
joints (Santa Ana, CA) that serve a basket of these babies. Not ONE of
my friends will try them with me. I'm more "challenged" or "curious"
that enthusiastic about them, but still I thought I could get at least
one "abnormal" diner to join me. Nope!
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Did you ever eat anything alive?"

Don't watch this if you're squeamish!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5T4c4g3iXv0

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Jun 28, 1:14 pm, Gerry > wrote:

> Just because you enjoy one category of "sodomy"
> doesn't mean you like them all... ;-)

You talkin to me?

You talkin to ME?

Hhahahahaaha, what a thing to say...

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Jun 28, 1:20 pm, Buddy <why.wood.yew@bother> wrote:

> The oysters/clams/scallops are kept cool before they're shucked and
> presented on ice moments before serving - opened upon request, not
> sitting shucked and waiting.

The only place I ever eat them, they are shucked and sitting on ice in
the half shell before I get there and are replenished as needed. It's
a cold seafood bar that keeps the trays stocked up the entire night.

Those puppies might be alive still, but nothing is moving...

I saw a film clip of a type of sushi that's filleted right at your
table while alive, then re-positioned in the skin in near it's natural
shape and served. The person in the film clip held one piece up and it
was still wiggling real fast.

That's one I really don't want to do. I'll wait the extra 5 minutes
for the thing to quit moving.

Mr. Musashi, what's the name of that type of sushi? (I know he
knows...)

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Buddy wrote:
>> I've tried them on several occasions and find I only like them on the
>> half shell after they've been chilled on ice until thoroughly cold. I
>> doubt they're alive at that point, but perhaps so.

> The oysters/clams/scallops are kept cool before they're shucked and
> presented on ice moments before serving - opened upon request, not
> sitting shucked and waiting. When the former is the case, the debate
> over whether it's alive or not "is taking this a bit far(ther.)" Not so
> in the latter.

You should have said, "at a good place" and then the above. I went ot
Union Oyster House in Boston and order oysters. They pre-shucked them
and then put on ice.. maybe. They came to the table warm and dead..
I was quite displeased.

> As to individual opinion, much goes into developing ones eating habits.
> In my case, my parents loved cherry stone clams and that intrigued me.
> At some point I tried them and I liked them. Sushi, in the raw seafood
> sense, was for me, a natural progression. But I've loathed kidneys for
> 50 years, father & grandfather loved them. However, pickled pigs feet or
> head cheese done right (more pork less gristle) is great.

This is how I started.. my wife (then girlfriend) took me for oysters and
cherry stones. I wolfed down the oysters.. so she took me for sushi soon
after and I was hooked.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Jun 28, 11:11 am, John Doe > wrote:
> On Jun 28, 1:14 pm, Gerry > wrote:
>
> > Just because you enjoy one category of "sodomy"
> > doesn't mean you like them all... ;-)

> You talkin to me?
>
> You talkin to ME?
>
> Hhahahahaaha, what a thing to say...

Hey, what's going on here!? I stop supervising the joint for a few
minutes and look what's happening!

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> Obviously Wwerewolff doesn't have a problem with blood, just the
> delivery. Right off the top, fried clotted blood cubes doesn't sing to
> me either! And since I know about bringing an animal from a standing
> position to your plate, how the blood is cared for is primary to the
> flavor of anything it comes in. Perhaps he had a bad batch, who knows.
>
> I'm not going hunting for palm grubs either ;-)
>
> --
> - Buddy

Yeah, werewolves aren't ordinarily all that squeamish about blood, and
maybe it was a bad batch, and for all I know big lumps of congealed
blood might ordinarily taste like filet mignon or roast chicken or
lobster or something...but I think I'll let the matter rest and forgo
any further experimentation with bun bo hue.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

John Doe > wrote:
>On Jun 28, 2:05 am, wrote:
>
>> That wasn't 3 cups of blood you got when you squooshed your steak.

>Yes, it was. I was there. You weren't. What exactly do you think is
>the liquid in a raw steak?

About 90% water.

Cells are full of the stuff.

So is blood, but most of the actual blood was drained from
that meat before it was cut to make a steak. Blood only
exists normally in the blood vessels. It doesn't get into
the cells.

>Whatever you think, it's blood and fat with a small amount of fiber.

The liquid in meat doesn't have fiber. Neither does the
meat. Not "dietary fiber," in any case, notwithstanding
the term "fibrous tissue". The undigestible solids in
animal tissues are generally called "ash".

>Exactly as I proved to him and have said here.

How did you prove it?

>Please don't contradict someone just to contradict. If you disagree,
>then present your argument.

OK: Anatomy, histology, and, I dunno, haematology?

What's your argument?

--Blair
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Gerry > wrote:
>Ah! We all have cultural limitations. How about chapulines, cooked
>grasshoppers in the Oaxacan tradition? We have a number of local
>joints (Santa Ana, CA) that serve a basket of these babies. Not ONE of
>my friends will try them with me. I'm more "challenged" or "curious"
>that enthusiastic about them, but still I thought I could get at least
>one "abnormal" diner to join me. Nope!

What's the flavor like?

I imagine the meaty parts are kind of shrimpy, but
the other parts would be crunchy and maybe a bit sour,
like ants.

--Blair
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-06-28 18:35:07 -0700, Blair P. Houghton > said:

> Gerry > wrote:
>> Ah! We all have cultural limitations. How about chapulines, cooked
>> grasshoppers in the Oaxacan tradition? We have a number of local
>> joints (Santa Ana, CA) that serve a basket of these babies. Not ONE of
>> my friends will try them with me. I'm more "challenged" or "curious"
>> that enthusiastic about them, but still I thought I could get at least
>> one "abnormal" diner to join me. Nope!

> What's the flavor like?

I haven't had one yet. I didn't want to order basket of the damn things
for everybody ELSE's amusement! Besides, I want a companion in
creepsville.

> I imagine the meaty parts are kind of shrimpy, but
> the other parts would be crunchy and maybe a bit sour,
> like ants.

Haven't had ants, but I figure they'd be crunchy and salty. Being
Mexican I think it would be expected that I squeeze lime and or throw
chili-powder all over the things. That's pretty much how they handle
everything from soup to nuts, including vegetables and fruit!
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default [OT] Korean Juk

Since me and the wwerewolf continuously blabber about Vietnamese and
Korean food in SoCal, I figured I'd OT the subject.

On 2007-06-26 23:20:24 -0700, said:

> --- Seoul Oak is in a spacious very high ceilinged house.

Yeah, that's a BBQ, we pretty much avoid those. However good the
generally are, and some are fabulous when you're in a meat gnashing
mood, they are predictable. We're still chasing the oddities.

>>> How about Bonjuk Korean Traditional Porridge Restaurant? That's next
>>> on my list.

>> You got a location for that one?

> 10130 Garden Grove Blv. #129

Made it there tonight. Pretty good, but believe me juk (rice porridge)
is all they have. Some nut-case in Korea started it up after losing a
job in marketing beauty supplies. He started the first one in 2002, I
believe. And by the time they opened on in Los Angeles he was
expanding out of Korea--they'd already opened up 650 of the damn
things. That's saturation. Look out Starbucks!

I got the seafood juk, Nancy got the black-bean. Mine was pretty
tasty, hers was kind of bland but very black-beany! Pan chan in name
only, 3 or 4 obvious items. Altgether pretty good though a big
expensive at 9-12 bucks. Their abalone juk is $30.

Everytime the owner of a Chinese joint sees one of these he probably
faints. In the average Mom and Pop joint you can get juk for 6 bucks
with a good chunk of black cod in it.

Worth checking out, say I.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Gerry wrote:
> On 2007-06-28 18:35:07 -0700, Blair P. Houghton > said:
>
>> Gerry > wrote:
>>> Ah! We all have cultural limitations. How about chapulines, cooked
>>> grasshoppers in the Oaxacan tradition? We have a number of local
>>> joints (Santa Ana, CA) that serve a basket of these babies. Not ONE of
>>> my friends will try them with me. I'm more "challenged" or "curious"
>>> that enthusiastic about them, but still I thought I could get at least
>>> one "abnormal" diner to join me. Nope!

>> What's the flavor like?

> I haven't had one yet. I didn't want to order basket of the damn things
> for everybody ELSE's amusement! Besides, I want a companion in creepsville.

How I wish I could join you. I spent a few weeks in Taiwan when my
brother was living there and ate all sorts of great things, crickets,
bees, rats, but I've never had the opportunity to try grasshoppers. One
day I'll show up knocking on your door and we'll go out for sushi and
creepy crawlies

>> I imagine the meaty parts are kind of shrimpy, but
>> the other parts would be crunchy and maybe a bit sour,
>> like ants.

> Haven't had ants, but I figure they'd be crunchy and salty. Being
> Mexican I think it would be expected that I squeeze lime and or throw
> chili-powder all over the things. That's pretty much how they handle
> everything from soup to nuts, including vegetables and fruit!

Haven't tried them yet, but I do hear that ants have a soury taste. The
lime might be nice...

--
http://www.sushifaq.com The Sushi FAQ
http://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku The Sushi Otaku blog
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Gerry > wrote:
>On 2007-06-28 18:35:07 -0700, Blair P. Houghton > said:
>
>> Gerry > wrote:
>>> Ah! We all have cultural limitations. How about chapulines, cooked
>>> grasshoppers in the Oaxacan tradition? We have a number of local
>>> joints (Santa Ana, CA) that serve a basket of these babies. Not ONE of
>>> my friends will try them with me. I'm more "challenged" or "curious"
>>> that enthusiastic about them, but still I thought I could get at least
>>> one "abnormal" diner to join me. Nope!

>> What's the flavor like?

>I haven't had one yet. I didn't want to order basket of the damn things
>for everybody ELSE's amusement! Besides, I want a companion in
>creepsville.

I was almost there for you today, bro. I was at the
LeeLee supermarket and saw canned fried crickets. I was
so tempted to make an adventure of it, but decided that
was for another day.

>> I imagine the meaty parts are kind of shrimpy, but
>> the other parts would be crunchy and maybe a bit sour,
>> like ants.

>Haven't had ants, but I figure they'd be crunchy and salty. Being
>Mexican I think it would be expected that I squeeze lime and or throw
>chili-powder all over the things. That's pretty much how they handle
>everything from soup to nuts, including vegetables and fruit!

I've had them accidentally, on the edge a soda can.
Nothing special. Like a crunchy bit of lime.

--Blair
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-06-29 16:21:48 -0700, Blair P. Houghton > said:

> I was almost there for you today, bro. I was at the
> LeeLee supermarket and saw canned fried crickets. I was
> so tempted to make an adventure of it, but decided that
> was for another day.
>
>>> I imagine the meaty parts are kind of shrimpy, but
>>> the other parts would be crunchy and maybe a bit sour,
>>> like ants.

>> Haven't had ants, but I figure they'd be crunchy and salty. Being
>> Mexican I think it would be expected that I squeeze lime and or throw
>> chili-powder all over the things. That's pretty much how they handle
>> everything from soup to nuts, including vegetables and fruit!

> I've had them accidentally, on the edge a soda can.
> Nothing special. Like a crunchy bit of lime.

Apropos of this discussion I ate a June bug. I don't recommend it.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Gerry wrote:
> On 2007-06-29 16:21:48 -0700, Blair P. Houghton > said:
>
>> I was almost there for you today, bro. I was at the
>> LeeLee supermarket and saw canned fried crickets. I was
>> so tempted to make an adventure of it, but decided that
>> was for another day.

>>> Haven't had ants, but I figure they'd be crunchy and salty. Being
>>> Mexican I think it would be expected that I squeeze lime and or throw
>>> chili-powder all over the things. That's pretty much how they handle
>>> everything from soup to nuts, including vegetables and fruit!

>> I've had them accidentally, on the edge a soda can.
>> Nothing special. Like a crunchy bit of lime.

> Apropos of this discussion I ate a June bug. I don't recommend it.

Wow.. crunchy?

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-06-30 09:07:35 -0700, Dan Logcher > said:

> Gerry wrote:
>> On 2007-06-29 16:21:48 -0700, Blair P. Houghton > said:
>>
>>> I was almost there for you today, bro. I was at the
>>> LeeLee supermarket and saw canned fried crickets. I was
>>> so tempted to make an adventure of it, but decided that
>>> was for another day.

>>> I've had them accidentally, on the edge a soda can.
>>> Nothing special. Like a crunchy bit of lime.

>> Apropos of this discussion I ate a June bug. I don't recommend it.

> Wow.. crunchy?

I don't recall actually. More than "eating it" I was talking when it
flew in...
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Gerry > wrote:
>On 2007-06-30 09:07:35 -0700, Dan Logcher > said:
>> Gerry wrote:
>>> Apropos of this discussion I ate a June bug. I don't recommend it.

>> Wow.. crunchy?

>I don't recall actually. More than "eating it" I was talking when it
>flew in...

Musta been a tiny june bug. Most I've seen are like two inches
long. Not easy to "eat" by accident.

--Blair
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-06-30 15:19:24 -0700, Blair P. Houghton > said:

> Gerry > wrote:
>>>
>>> Wow.. crunchy?

>> I don't recall actually. More than "eating it" I was talking when it
>> flew in...

> Musta been a tiny june bug. Most I've seen are like two inches
> long. Not easy to "eat" by accident.

Can't trick you. It was a joke. I didn't eat it. Okay, that set's over.

The june bugs I see here in SoCal, or in Texas when I lived there, are
only about half to 3/4's of an inch or so.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Gerry wrote:
> On 2007-06-30 15:19:24 -0700, Blair P. Houghton > said:
>
>> Gerry > wrote:
>>> On 2007-06-30 09:07:35 -0700, Dan Logcher

>>> I don't recall actually. More than "eating it" I was talking when it
>>> flew in...

>> Musta been a tiny june bug. Most I've seen are like two inches
>> long. Not easy to "eat" by accident.

> Can't trick you. It was a joke. I didn't eat it. Okay, that set's over.
>
> The june bugs I see here in SoCal, or in Texas when I lived there, are
> only about half to 3/4's of an inch or so.

May I submit this for a Longest Thread in the World(tm) vote? Or at
least the longest I've seen in, well.. a long time (heh).

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiyapedia/ Sushi-Ya-Pedia Restaurant Finder
HTTP://www.theteafaq.com/ The Tea FAQ
HTTP://www.jerkyfaq.com/ The Jerky FAQ

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-07-01 07:38:52 -0700, warren ransom > said:

> Gerry wrote:

>>> Musta been a tiny june bug. Most I've seen are like two inches
>>> long. Not easy to "eat" by accident.

>> Can't trick you. It was a joke. I didn't eat it. Okay, that set's over.
>>
>> The june bugs I see here in SoCal, or in Texas when I lived there, are
>> only about half to 3/4's of an inch or so.

> May I submit this for a Longest Thread in the World(tm) vote? Or at
> least the longest I've seen in, well.. a long time (heh).

Yes you may. Now move along. Show's over. Nothing to see here...
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

In article >,
warren ransom > wrote:

>May I submit this for a Longest Thread in the World(tm) vote?

If you want the 40K+ one on rasf and rasw to laugh at you, go ahead.

Seth

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Bugs. Everybody eats 'em. Anytime you eat grains you're also eating
lots of bug parts. The FDA allows a certain amount because it's
inevitable anyway. Adds good protein. Also, honey comes from the
insides of insects.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Korean Juk

Made it there tonight. Pretty good, but believe me juk (rice
porridge)
is all they have. Some nut-case in Korea started it up after losing a
job in marketing beauty supplies. He started the first one in 2002, I
believe. And by the time they opened on in Los Angeles he was
expanding out of Korea--they'd already opened up 650 of the damn
things. That's saturation. Look out Starbucks!

I got the seafood juk, Nancy got the black-bean. Mine was pretty
tasty, hers was kind of bland but very black-beany! Pan chan in name
only, 3 or 4 obvious items. Altgether pretty good though a big
expensive at 9-12 bucks. Their abalone juk is $30.

--- That's the "special abalone porridge". Regular abalone porridge
is $16. That's the one I was going to try, but I didn't get there.
Yeah, it's expensive for rice gruel!

Everytime the owner of a Chinese joint sees one of these he probably
faints. In the average Mom and Pop joint you can get juk for 6 bucks
with a good chunk of black cod in it.

Worth checking out, say I.

--- Maybe next time. So how's Kasen in Fountain Valley these days?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I ate some nice fat grubs at a survival school a couple of years ago.
Tasted like bacon.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-07-02 21:08:09 -0700, said:

> I ate some nice fat grubs at a survival school a couple of years ago.
> Tasted like bacon.

I ate some really good slabs of bacon last weekend. That's as close as
I'm getting to a grub.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Jul 3, 12:08 am, wrote:
> I ate some nice fat grubs at a survival school a couple of years ago.
> Tasted like bacon.

I ate some bacon the other day.

Tated like bugs.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> wrote:
>Bugs. Everybody eats 'em. Anytime you eat grains you're also eating
>lots of bug parts. The FDA allows a certain amount because it's
>inevitable anyway. Adds good protein. Also, honey comes from the
>insides of insects.

The insides of more than one insect at a time. It takes
two bees to make honey from one sample of nectar:

http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/honey.asp

--Blair
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Jul 3, 6:29 am, John Doe > wrote:
> On Jul 3, 12:08 am, wrote:
>
> > I ate some nice fat grubs at a survival school a couple of years ago.
> > Tasted like bacon.

> I ate some bacon the other day.
>
> Tated like bugs.

I've heard that bacon tastes like grubs!

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Jul 2, 11:52 pm, Gerry > wrote:
> On 2007-07-02 21:05:24 -0700, said:
>
> > --- Maybe next time. So how's Kasen in Fountain Valley these days?

> Is that the name of that Japanese place I was going to try to get to?

Uh, I don't know.

Kasen - I loved the place two years ago - almost all Japanese
clientelle and they all seemed to be eating chirashi, just like me!
And it was great - ultra-fresh fish, and exotic ingredients like
abalone and real wasabi, very friendly chef (once he found out that I
wasn't going to try to order California rolls and he wasn't going to
have to kill me) who spoke little or no English. I went 2 or 3
times. But when I went back last year it was all different. The
place was empty and the unfriendly chef seemed to be fighting with the
waitress and the chirashi was totally mediocre. So I never returned.
But I just found a very good review of the place written just last
month so maybe there was just something wrong that particular day.

Here's the review - the recent 5 star review is June - but some of the
other reviews say it isn't as good as it used to be

http://www.yelp.com/biz/FIpQIDDnNfazhE5i2tIP2w

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-07-05 14:41:04 -0700, said:

> On Jul 2, 11:52 pm, Gerry > wrote:
>> On 2007-07-02 21:05:24 -0700, said:
>>
>>> --- Maybe next time. So how's Kasen in Fountain Valley these days?

>> Is that the name of that Japanese place I was going to try to get to?

> Uh, I don't know.

Well now I don't think so. We were talking about a joint over in that
general area (N. Huntington, S. Westminster and environs) that had been
around for a long time, maybe 20 years. And was known for kappo,
izakaya and that sort of thing. Which is generally what we pursue.

> Kasen - I loved the place two years ago - almost all Japanese
> clientelle and they all seemed to be eating chirashi, just like me!
> And it was great - ultra-fresh fish, and exotic ingredients like
> abalone and real wasabi, very friendly chef (once he found out that I
> wasn't going to try to order California rolls and he wasn't going to
> have to kill me) who spoke little or no English. I went 2 or 3
> times. But when I went back last year it was all different. The
> place was empty and the unfriendly chef seemed to be fighting with the
> waitress and the chirashi was totally mediocre. So I never returned.
> But I just found a very good review of the place written just last
> month so maybe there was just something wrong that particular day.

Yeah, maybe he was on one of their traditional every-10-years vacation.

> Here's the review - the recent 5 star review is June - but some of the
> other reviews say it isn't as good as it used to be

http://www.yelp.com/biz/FIpQIDDnNfazhE5i2tIP2w

We drove by on the 4th, assuming it was closed of course but just doing
a tour in the area after a big lunch. It's not the place I thought it
was, but at least I know where it is now. At Garfield and Magnolia.

It's gotta tickle you that now that we are finally discussing Japanese
food, instead of Vietnamese or Korean, that we'rein a Juk-labled
subject.

Oh well...
--
///---

White Tuna Nanzi[_2_] Sushi 16 09-09-2009 03:17 AM
Have you tried white tuna? James[_1_] Sushi 31 12-12-2008 09:04 PM
White Tuna George Sushi 20 28-06-2005 07:14 PM
White Tuna James Silverton Sushi 33 16-03-2005 08:46 PM