Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Korean Juk

Search for Kasen on Chowhound - lots of hits:

http://www.chowhound.com/search?sear...kasen&x=5&y=14

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Have you tried it yet? I'm gonna poke my nose in there and if it's
empty again with an angry looking chef i'm going to make u-turn, but
if it's crowded with Japanese people eating chirashi like it was a
couple of years ago I'll give them a break and stay! You can't peek
in the window or even see inside until you go through the curtains!

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
We've had plenty of duscussions about White Tuna (aka
Super White Tuna, Escolar,Oilfish) in the past. But I thought I'd mention
that on this mornings Japanese TV news (Fuji TV) they ran a little story
about about
the popularity of so-called" Shiro-Maguro" (White Tuna)
in South Korea where it is called Kilmuchi in Korean.
As expected they showed how the taste was fatty and similar to the Toro
portions of Tuna, had a fish expert explaining how the use of the name
"tuna" was misleading since the fish has no relation to the tuna family,
but they pointed out that under Japanese law it serving it is prohibited for
the digestion problems that we have all heard of. In Japan the fish is
called Haremutsu (also aburabouzu) and they interviewed a Japanese fisherman
who showed an example of the fish who stated that they throw back whatever
they catch because they have no market value.

I was rather surprised that this topic wasn't covered by news earlier since
I think "White Tuna" has been around in the US for at least 5 years? 10? It
also amazes me that
here is a fish that even Japan prohibits from consumption
and yet in the US it is not.

There are really two types of white tuna - Albacore and Escolar. Please be careful when ordering Super White Tuna or White Tuna so that you really know what you are ordering. Most of the time, Shiro Maguro refers to Albacore and Escolar refers to Super White Tuna. Just a FYI

White Tuna Nanzi[_2_] Sushi 16 09-09-2009 03:17 AM
Have you tried white tuna? James[_1_] Sushi 31 12-12-2008 09:04 PM
White Tuna George Sushi 20 28-06-2005 07:14 PM
White Tuna James Silverton Sushi 33 16-03-2005 08:46 PM